Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar (24738 Views)

Most Funniest Nigerian Actor (aki&pawpaw, Osuofia, Mr Ibu) / Which Actor or Actress Would You Rather Dine With? / Who is your Favorite Nigerian Movie Star? (actor or actress) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Millate01: 10:17am On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by sexzskil(f): 10:19am On Sep 07, 2014
kevoh: Is Oscar a global award or an American award originally meant for American films?
It is a global award owned by America, or better still, it is a worldwide award based in the USA, dig? And that is why every actors in the world struggle to enter Hollywood which is an uphill, sometimes impossible goal, until then, an actor is just locally celebrated or still upcoming. If it is only for Americans, you won't have every movie industries on earth desperately clamouring for it. I think am done.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by beryl04(m): 10:22am On Sep 07, 2014
prof800:
Where on planet earth have you been?

@phrezzz...
Winning an Oscar or not winning an Oscar is not important...
...but to answer your question, "Any Nigerian actor CAN actually win the Oscars."

It is not a difficult feat and I wouldn't want to discuss the clumsy fuzz.

Adepero Oduye also acted in 12 years a slave and her performance was top notch as well.
She featured as 'Eliza'.
Watch her perfomance here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utBKmU1TJIg
[img]http://knightleyemma.files./2013/12/12-yrs-eliza.jpg[/img]

...she is a Nigerian-American actress and she is more experienced than Lupita. See her IMDb page here:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1323822/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t17
...we all know why she didn't get a nomination. (same reason Halle Berry won her first Oscars lipsrsealed )

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNw-IJDwhbJhICMW6TNXp3TzM5NG0yRDLi6_yzryvPL0mJR2SubaR-7w[/img]

pretty ain't she?

If she was given the 'Patsey' role played by Lupita, I'm pretty sure she would have killed that role.

If you're referring to Nollywood actors then I believe there are even Tones of talents on the street that can deliver that role clean.

Also...
Besides Adepero Oduye, There are loads of other Nigerian actors and actresses presently in Hollywood and they can get lucky in winning the Oscars someday.

Some of the actors of Nigerian origin in Hollywood are:

Triple A
www.nairaland.com/attachments/670499_adewale_akinnuoye_agbaje_jpg70a74cd164b25029e22a3db6899c8c4f

Osas Ighodaro (Cadillac records, 2008)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/670680_Osas_Ighodaro_jpg57f63b77ee21bea334af250a067e6fb1

Uzo Aduba (from Orange is the new Black)

Dayo Okeniyi
[img]http://hungergamesfandom.files./2012/03/thg-atlanta-small.jpg?w=549&h=411[/img]

and most recently our one and only Stephanie Okereke Linus

https://www.nairaland.com/1824374/stephannie-okereke-plays-slave-hollywood

visit this thread to see more:https://www.nairaland.com/902363/talking-hollywood-moviestars-nigerian-origin

Adepero's 'let me cry'. sad

Uzo Aduba was so good in orange is the new black that she won an Emmy award some few weeks back .good for her as I love that show.
#oitnb
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Oltabaks(m): 10:28am On Sep 07, 2014
OGOGO
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by kevoh(m): 10:29am On Sep 07, 2014
sexzskil:
It is a global award owned by America, or better still, it is a worldwide award based in the USA, dig? And that is why every actors in the world struggle to enter Hollywood which is an uphill, sometimes impossible goal, until then, an actor is just locally celebrated or still upcoming. If it is only for Americans, you won't have every movie industries on earth desperately clamouring for it. I think am done.
The phrases in boldface lend credence to the fact that it is still purely American. I admit it's an award of high esteem but still an American thing.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by DKbarry(m): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2014
I still maintain dís 2 follow ..

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 10:32am On Sep 07, 2014
well I believe a Nigerian con win an Oscar award with d right platform, notin special about lupita roles in dat movie a certain Genevieve Nnaji can play interpret dat role better. BTW has my guy Brad Pitt won an Osca?

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Davidbanky(m): 10:37am On Sep 07, 2014
sexzskil:

Oneday some guyz bombarded me and started with, ' David, they called, our Nigerians musicians are trying, they said, I need to appreciate them and commend them, I said for what ? Nollywood doesn't have children celebrity, when they need to act a secondary school movie they still use the adults, out musicians sings crap and since I see my self to be educated, I can't bear myself listening to those rubbish an watching a movie that doesn't inspire my intelligence, songs that cannot draw positivity, and to think that some of them dream of winnig Grammy and oscars is annoying, I have heard songs from one direction and this guy that did the 'desolation of smaug ' soundtrack for hobbit by ed sheeran, so young and Intelligent, but here it's rubbish and we the so called intelligent listeners still appreciate crap, I don't know where we are going seriously, it's really sickening!

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Davidbanky(m): 10:41am On Sep 07, 2014
onyeomaonyeoma: well I believe a Nigerian con win an Oscar award with d right platform, notin special about lupita roles in dat movie a certain Genevieve Nnaji can play interpret dat role better. BTW has my guy Brad Pitt won an Osca?

No. He has never won an Oscar. No. He has been nominated three times, once for Best Supporting Actor in "12 Monkeys" (1995), once for Best Actor in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008). In 2011, he was nominated again for Best Actor for his role in Moneyball.

If the likes of bradpitt never won, then no Nigeria will ever win ...
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by kandiikane(m): 10:50am On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by seedorfg(m): 10:52am On Sep 07, 2014
BABA SUWE GO WIN AM
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by ethicalUser(m): 11:12am On Sep 07, 2014
Olu Jacob ....if given a professional script.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by SEYILIGHT(m): 11:13am On Sep 07, 2014
[size=76pt]M A M A R A I N B O W[/size]
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by nigerianvenom(m): 11:19am On Sep 07, 2014
echobee: Them never born d actor or actress lipsrsealed

Have u watched Nse Ikpe etim?
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Originalsly: 11:33am On Sep 07, 2014
Hmmm.....trying to match any Nollywood actress who could have acted the role as Patsy and brought out so much life in the character. Without any bias I think Genevieve and Stella Damascus. ...they show depth in the character but yes...they need to be polished. The rest haven't reached polishing stage and most will never....they just don't have IT.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by free2ryhme: 11:46am On Sep 07, 2014
Let me simply put it out there none
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Jona grin
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Maximus85(m): 11:55am On Sep 07, 2014
Yomi Fashlanso. Natural actor. Young and Vibrant.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by meforyou1(m): 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
Richard Mofe Damijo can.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by zabuur: 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2014
To be honest, if we're talkin bout nollywood,it will be a little tough. Nigeria abroad can not be regarded as nollywood actors or actresses. Nollywood here,I'm sure each known actor and actress might have featured in more than a century films. Also,the star actor might be the writer,director,script writer,producer,etc. Let's just forget it, Oscar means alot to all actors and actresses for those claiming it's not important

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Orikinla(m): 12:48pm On Sep 07, 2014
Mrs. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Genevieve Nnaji, Funke Akindele, Mrs. Mercy Aigbe, Taiwo Hassan, Olu Jacobs, Dame Taiwo Ajai-Lycett and the other professional actors can win the Academy Awards if given the right opportunity with the right screenplay, right budget and right world class director and crew. But not with any of the typical Nollywood directors.

Half of a Yellow Sun would have fared better with a better director.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by rhames(m): 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
In a very well written script, Pete Edochie will do that convincingly. grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2014
Odunlade adekola
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Pain(m): 2:08pm On Sep 07, 2014
sexzskil:
You must have noticed that no one really buy into your imbe.cility this time around, you must have dreamt of gathering many gullible likes as usual, this means both you, your sentiment and the INFERIOR stuffs you stand for are now becoming more irrelevant. Face the bitter reality bro, i know its hard though, but face it!!

I don't understand the bitterness. From the last time I checked this is an open forum in which everyone is free to air their opinion on issues.

By the way, Im not a "LikeMonger" you are just way off latitude...You must indeed be a very bitter fellow.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Richy4(m): 2:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
Alot of the female Nigerian actresses can win my dear.
When stuff is well publicized, the individual brain make it look reallycool.
I have watched Mercy Johnson carefully, if given a chance over there at hollywood. She will act very well.
I have seen the movie and there's nothing that they did that Nigerian actors and actresses has not done. Was it the cry, the shouting match, they have all done that

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
Have also watched the film, there is nothing much the over hyped Lupital did, Nigeria actress with good director will do better

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by 9jageek: 2:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
I don't know about Nigeria.. but in Africa I guess Nadia Buari could someday because of her talent and of course looks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtGAWwBCnc
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 07, 2014
Orikinla: Mrs. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Genevieve Nnaji, Funke Akindele, Mrs. Mercy Aigbe, Taiwo Hassan, Olu Jacobs, Dame Taiwo Ajai-Lycett and the other professional actors can win the Academy Awards if given the right opportunity with the right screenplay, right budget and right world class director and crew. But not with any of the typical Nollywood directors.

Half of a Yellow Sun would have fared better with a better director.
Concerning the half a yellow sun thing ehen, seconded, I feel the same as well, that thing Biyi Bandele directed ain't film,it surely nids sure need to be acted again with a better director this time around. Kunle afolayan would have done better or better still give it to Uncle Tunde Kelani.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 07, 2014
Ipledge: Have also watched the film, there is nothing much the over hyped Lupital did, Nigeria actress with good director will do better
(
The 12years a slave film itself is overhyped not to talk of lupita.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by ladygogo: 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
NSE IKPE ETIM! kiss

BIMBO AKINTOLA!

Funke Akindele , rita dominic, Gabriel afolayan, odunlade adekola, yomi fash lanso are getting there.

Genevieve needs to take acting classes men. She is even irrelevant right now in Nollywood.. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Orders Seizure Of "Okafor's Law", Omoni Oboli's Film / NTA Labels Adebayo Shittu As "President Of Nigeria" (Photo) / GOTV Or STARTIMES, Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.