Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. (1715 Views)

The Evil Effect Of Godfatherism In Nigeria Politice / Dogara Fired At Tinubu: Godfatherism Must Be Killed, It Is Corruption / Godfatherism In Nigeria's Politics. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 08, 2014
Goodfatherism : a blessing and a curse.

In our contemporary society, especially that of Africa, when we hear "godfather" , the picture that formed in our mind is that of a political figure who possess ultimate dominion over all and sundry withing a given politically determined geographical area.
This conception is right, but to make it the sole determinant of who a godfather is, will result to fallacy of composition.

To therefore save our mind from apparent misconception, I must here engage briefly the historical details of "godfatherism".
That is, how godfathers came into being and for what purpose.

Etymologically, the word "godfather" is the modern form of the old english word "godfæder", cognant with the old Saxon word "godfader" and dutch "godvadar" .

Its existence dated back to the medieval period, when a male Christian figure take under his protection and counsel a young Christian after baptismal. The regulation of this is lucidly declared in the "Catholic canon code".
For example, Pope Benedict IV was the godfather of Saint Thomas Acquinas

There are however during this same period, families and political figures who act as a godfather. That is, their characteristic was similar to that of Christian godfathers, but they were not regarded as such because the word "godfather" was ultimately a term in the Christiandom.
For example, Lorence the head of the Medici family during the renaissance acted as a godfather to many talented young persons among whom include, Michel Angelo and Leonardo Da Vinci.

Be that as it may, whether it is the Christian godfathers or the socialpolitical ones, one incontrovertible fact during this period was that they both have a single characteristic. Which is, to offer wise counsel, guidance and moral support to their godsons or daughters, as well as to bring out the best in them for the benefit of their family and the society at large.

Indeed, godfathers assumed a different position during the emergence of Mafia groups, Secret societies and Capitalism in the mid 17th century.
Godfathers therefore lost their sole positive and progressive niche in the society.

Consiquently, the world no longer have the "good uncles" of the medieval but rather "the big uncles" of modern time.
The niche of godfathers ceased from that of a protector and promoter of young people for the future of the society. It now assumed the niche of an ultimate benefactor who seek to put young people under his control for the sole purpose of making them a pawn in his own personal battle of dominating the society.

But yet, I dare not say that these new characteristics of godfathers is universal. Yes I dare not.
But I can only say that this new characteristics of godfathers exists, at extremity, in African societies.
Much reason why the introductory paragraph of this essay went the way it did.

There are countless number of essays about "godfatherism" in Africa.
All of them arising from the abhorent feelings of, and with the common goal to bring obliteration upon their perceived common enemy : godfatherism.
But they are all mistaking. Yes they are !

In the broad context of Democracy coupled with unfettered practice of Capitalism, it will not only be impossible to eradicate godfatherism, it will be more futile to try to reduce their number or influence.

Aren't there godfathers outside Africa ? Of course there are.
But those outside Africa especially in the developed countries are of immeasurable honour, unparalleled sense of responsibility and of unimaginable dedication to the glory of their country and the well being of their people.
Virtues of which will be possessed by one in a million among African godfathers, that's if finding is even possible.

Dan Henninger, Emile Jones, Senator Dick Durbin, Senator Ted Kennedy and the Jew billionaire Haim Saban are all godfathers of President Barack Obama.
Without their support, counsel, and hypes, becoming United States President for Obama will have remained in his imagination.
They supported and promoted Obama not because of anything other than is apparent intellegence, wisdom, grace, vision, oratory and mission to bring "real change" in to America.
They saw Obama as the perfect gentle man who can take the glory of America to further height and the security of its citizens to unbroken standard.
Such is the niche of godfathers in developed countries.

Therefore, African intellects should disembark from the futile journey of obliterating godfatherism.
We had better embrace it, positively.

Like the "emerging leaders conference" organized by Hon. Linus Okorie in Abuja recently, more of such conference is needed every now and then, with the sole purpose of building upright leaders who will later become our godfathers.

The truth is simple : a responsible political system build responsible future godfathers, an irresponsible political system build irresponsible irresponsible future godfathers.
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 08, 2014
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 08, 2014
snowprince07: .

space keeping gay ! grin
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 08, 2014
abiodunalasa:

space keeping gay ! grin
***pls what is gay hope nobi wetin Gej ban??
14 year 4 kirikiri??
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by reedonne: 8:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
Nice article
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 09, 2014
snowprince07: ***pls what is gay hope nobi wetin Gej ban??
14 year 4 kirikiri??

fear fear cheesy
but me self I dont knw o cos no be weyting I typed be dat.
Seun must have change it. Mtcheeew!
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 2:05am On Sep 09, 2014
reedonne: Nice article

nice comment wink
Re: Godfatherism : A Blessing And A Curse. by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 09, 2014
abiodunalasa:

fear fear cheesy
but me self I dont knw o cos no be weyting I typed be dat.
Seun must have change it. Mtcheeew!
***haaaaa guy d fear of kirikiri is d beginning of freedom oo

(1) (Reply)

Democracy In Action As Jonathan Win Buhari In A Free, Fair And Credible E-voting / New Nigerians Trains As Opposed To The One On Frontpage... / They Give You Bridges I Give You University - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.