Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians (19334 Views)

FRSC Officials In Ibadan Sitting In Their Van Carelessly / Number Plate: FRSC To Impound Vehicles Oct 1 / Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by laoma15(m): 12:03am On Sep 16, 2014
They are always imposing. When are the government agencies going to learn how to address the citizen in a polite manner. Who will bear the cost of the limiter? Can't they put speed limit signs in strategic places as they do in other countries?

I remember sometines ago when they introduced some kind of reflector. FRSC personnel used that to make so much money from the poor citizens.

I weep for this Country.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by bullyman36(m): 12:24am On Sep 16, 2014
This guys should chill first, coz I've not practicalized all dos need for speed game oo grin
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 12:38am On Sep 16, 2014
eleojo23: But we already have natural speed limiters (pot holes) on most of our roads.

Good one
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 16, 2014
In which part of the world do they have speed limiter installed in cars.

Nonesense!! Make them stop me dey ask for speed limiter.

Speed limiter ko speed limiter ni.

Dem fit recognize am if dem see am.

Ehhn! I go install am. Den I go deactivte am. No be to see amdem want. Ehn! No wahala now.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 3:17am On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG: Like most things I observe that happens in Nigeria, we put the cart before the horse.

I will give them this though, some of yah all drive like possessed maniacs considering the infrastructure on the ground. I just don't think that installing speed limiters in car is the solution. Overspeeding cars should be impounded and crushed. No need to punish folks that are observing clearly established speed limits.

The only vehicles with speed governors are commercial vehicles and some long distance trucks but this is voluntary between the companies and their insurance companies.
There are no speed limits on Nigerian roads.

CityNG:

I like that, self imposed speed limiter grin

We have the same thing here in the US.

The fear of getting caught by Police, getting a ticket and having my insurance premium go up is my natural speed limiter.
My own limiter is fear of losing my job. I lose my license, then the job most likely goes with it. grin
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 3:20am On Sep 16, 2014
erico2k2:
ok, Road Block ? The UK is HQ for police block, we have the Car Mounted ANPRs checking for road tax,drugs cars,non insured cars, non MOT cars U name it.But not like your guys over there who will stop every cars, down here you have to be stopped for a reason lol .Oh now we have these new speed cameras that are called variable speed detectors. eg if you are on a 10 mile stretch of road and speed limit is 30MPH, they might av say3 cameras on that rd,the first cam registers ur car the second and third cameras registers and calculate the time it took you from cam 1 to cam 2 if you beat the speed limit then your time would be shorter than the programmed time.These have no markings on the rd nor flashes, just pure ANPR.We have this in TOWER BRIDGE in London.
Abeg, leave UK matter, that tiny island is madly developed.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 3:32am On Sep 16, 2014
saxywale:

1) There are no speed limits on Nigerian roads.

My own limiter is fear of losing my job. I lose my license, then the job most likely goes with it. grin

1) Yes there is but if you feel that there isn't then that's fine too but there is.

Look at #30 here http://frsc.gov.ng/offences-and-penalties and this https://www.facebook.com/ICanDoRightByNigeria/posts/229166873881840

As usual we have laws, existing laws but enforcement is the issue.

2) Exactly. As it is now, there dis no real penalty now for Nigerian drivers that flaunt laws. I was wrongly accused for running red light in Ibadan and it cost me only N1,000 to get out of it. In the US I would be looking at minimum of $300 (N49,500) in my area.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 4:41am On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG:

1) Yes there is but if you feel that there isn't then that's fine too but there is.

Look at #30 here http://frsc.gov.ng/offences-and-penalties and this https://www.facebook.com/ICanDoRightByNigeria/posts/229166873881840

2) Exactly. As it is now, there dis no real penalty now for Nigerian drivers that flaunt laws. I was wrongly accused for running red light in Ibadan and it cost me only N1,000 to get out of it. In the US I would be looking at minimum of $300 (N49,500) in my area.

I am just seeing that for the first time....shocked. how much would it cost the government to erect max. speed signs on roads....? speed signs are non existent. I mean, I would a driver know when he is meant to be on 15, 50, 60, 80, 90 or 100km/hr?.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 4:46am On Sep 16, 2014
saxywale:
I am just seeing that for the first time....shocked. how much would it cost the government to erect max. speed signs on roads....? speed signs are non existent.

Very true they should erect more signage but in their defense the speed limits, maximum, should be known by anyone that goes through a legit drivers license procurement.

There are some signs but limited and some are concrete.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:11am On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG:

Very true they should erect more signage but in their defense the speed limits, maximum, should be known by anyone that goes through a legit drivers license procurement.

There are some signs but limited and some are concrete.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 16, 2014
saxywale:
Thanks for the enlightenment.

You're welcome Sir, we're all learning together.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by lormarx: 5:55am On Sep 16, 2014
Let them first impose on the government to fix our roads which are death traps/ are the going to finance the speed gadget ?
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by lormarx: 5:56am On Sep 16, 2014
biodunid: FRSC to enforce use of speed limiters

Bukola Amusan

From June 1 next year, motorists are expected to have a maximum speed limiter device in their vehicles, to reduce crashes.
Stakeholders spoke at the weekend in Abuja in a communiqué at the end of a one-day forum on the “National Policy on Maximum Road Speed Limiter for Vehicles”.
Speaking with reporters, the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive Officer of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Mr. Boboye Oyeyemi, said the commission was empowered to apprehend anyone who violated the speed limit.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/frsc-to-enforce-use-of-speed-limiters/

Let them first impose on the government to fix our roads which are death traps/ are the going to finance the speed gadget ?
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by logica(m): 7:01am On Sep 16, 2014
saxywale:
I am just seeing that for the first time....shocked. how much would it cost the government to erect max. speed signs on roads....? speed signs are non existent. I mean, I would a driver know when he is meant to be on 15, 50, 60, 80, 90 or 100km/hr?.
Ha. Even "abroad" not all roads have speed limit signs. When such a sign cannot be found, you assume the default 30 miles/hr limit (in the US). Same applies to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG:

Actually a police officer here has to have probable cause to stop you. He must have a reasonable believe that you have or are committing a crime.

I haven't had any motor vehicle interaction with a police officer in over 5 years.

In fact the first and one of the very few questions someone should ask a police officer is why did you stop me?

We have a right to free movement.

Try that in Naija and incur more palava courtesy the Nigerian Uniformed Officers (police, Soldier, FRSC, VIO, lastma) way which would make them even exaggerate your case (caselessness into a case if you had none) grin
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 16, 2014
Actually, the highway speed limit for cars and SUV is 100km/h, 80km/h for trucks, buses, and heavy duty vehicles.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by amanikondo: 8:42am On Sep 16, 2014
hermesprogidy: Must we copy anything we see abroad? angry We go just dey copy things when we don't have the infrastructure to make it work. I smell fraud in the air. embarassed embarassed
[size=15pt]Dem no they copy un interrupted power supply and good roads. Only money thieving ideas.[/size]
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 16, 2014
lomomike:

Try that in Naija and incur more palava courtesy the Nigerian Uniformed Officers (police, Soldier, FRSC, VIO, lastma) way which would make them even exaggerate your case (caselessness into a case if you had none) grin

When in Rome behave like Romans.

I always live my Americana brain at murtala and put my naija one on.

I no wan my enemy meet accidental discharge lol

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Ayodhejjy(m): 9:16am On Sep 16, 2014
Why not news like ' Nigeria road would all be motorable by june 2015. Failure to do that, govt would be charge to court' yeye natu
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Originalsly: 11:30am On Sep 16, 2014
Truck topples ...car smashed..6 dead/Tanker topples...explodes..22 dead/ Bus fails to overtake car...head on collision..11 dead/ 2 killed trying to cross expressway.....is overspeeding really one of the leading causes of road deaths?...or bad roads, wreckless driving andcareless pedestrians? Cars are made with limiters....after market limiters are added mainly by parents of teen aged drivers. Afer market limiters by the authorities to control speed? There are sooo many proven ways....I know of no country that has or even suggested suchameasure. Follow the money....who is providing the limiters...who is giving them the contract.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by LordReed(m): 11:55am On Sep 16, 2014
saxywale:

In Abuja any traffic object has a very limited life span measured in weeks, at most 2 weeks and then some drunk clubber or irate commercial vehicle driver does it in (or even a VIO officer sef, I have seen that with my two korokoro eyes). The new police traffic shelter put at an intersection close to my house lasted a few months only for me to see it in pieces one early Monday morning. My point is beyond erecting traffic objects FRSC needs to concentrate on the process of licensing drivers and enforcing driving rules. Weekends in Abuja are open season for drunken crashes so why not devote some time to arresting drunk drivers on the weekend? But no they want quick fixes that end up doing nothing. That's how they commissioned speed bumps at major intersections but did they stop or even lower accidents? Not one bit! I saw the report the FRSC consultant drew up. I wonder why they can't learn.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by ct2: 5:12pm On Sep 16, 2014
Well com development
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 5:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG:

Exactly .I once got pulled by police on the east west rd going to PH.I had a good old chat with the FRSC boss there.he shiwed me his little tablet.and I disco erd we ha e iffence codes totalling 49 unlike the UK we have 99 traffic offence codes
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 5:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
lomomike:

Guy I think it depends on who is talking and what car you driving.they term to chat calmly to you when U go straight to the point and know tou right.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 5:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
logica: Ha. Even "abroad" not all roads have speed limit signs. When such a sign cannot be found, you assume the default 30 miles/hr limit (in the US). Same applies to Nigeria.
Not entirly true.if there r no street furnitures and there are street lights you are in a 30mph zone thats what it says in the learners bi le check it.I dnt know of the US though cityNg can clearify that.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 5:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
saxywale:
Abeg, leave UK matter, that tiny island is madly developed.
How we go do nah thats where we live n thats where I learnt to drive.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 16, 2014
erico2k2:
Not entirly true.if there r no street furnitures and there are street lights you are in a 30mph zone thats what it says in the learners bi le check it.I dnt know of the US though cityNg can clearify that.

Even, and especially if there are no speed limit signs, there is no defense to going over the default speed limits.

So just because a driver doesn't see a speed limit on a California freeway that doesn't mean he can go at 100mph. The fastest speed on a California freeway is 55mph unless otherwise stated. Some freeways have 65mph and 70mph speed limits. Big trucks and cars towing trailers are always limited to a maximum speed of 55mph.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Gbemini(m): 6:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Re you in Nigeria atal, Osita is now a Minister of Avaiation, please go back and read the article [color=#000099][/color]again before you make comment,The COMACE is Oyeyemi not Osita.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
CityNG:

Even, and especially if there are no speed limit signs, there is no defense to going over the default speed limits.

So just because a driver doesn't see a speed limit on a California freeway that doesn't mean he can go at 100mph. The fastest speed on a California freeway is 55mph unless otherwise stated. Some freeways have 65mph and 70mph speed limits. Big trucks and cars towing trailers are always limited to a maximum speed of 55mph.
Exactly .you kno these guys have them rules written so.ewhere and hidden and not available in the public domain.cos they know in Nigeria U can exploit the ignorant.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by ogtavia(m): 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
Speed limit ke,so okada too will have speed limit,dis ppl ar funny,has anyone heard of anyone prosecuted or fined for overspeeding in Nigeria?..u dnt hear of overspeeding unless there is manslaughter or accident involved...besides, there are a 1001 reasons why dis wnt work,Nigeria is a funny place,so once u install speed limits,accidents will reduce,so dose danfo and interstate buses too will have speed limiters installed in them,d problem with Nigeria is,nobody thinks anything thru,some bunch of ppl will just sit somewhere and come up with ridiculous ideas,wateva happend to a test period or test area,whateva happened to public opinion,whateva happened to a transition stage,dis ppl are funny..speed limit...smh,do we have roads,d roads aren't even safe,do we have highway patrols,dis ppl just like copying,dey are starting from d top,y nt start from d bottom,treat d infrastructural decay,den from there,we can go into attendant issues of such policies,if police eva pull ppl ova for overspeeding and issue tickets or warrants and its seen nt to be enof,den we can talk of speed limits,or ar dey saying d ppl u put d speedometer and as well as d brakes dnt knw wat they are doin...they shud rethink dis dere laughable idea or betta still shove it up dere dark asses.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Fajzay: 12:00am On Sep 19, 2014
biodunid: Another MASSIVE payday for the FRSC 'stakeholders'! Have they already finished digesting all the billions made from new plate numbers and drivers licences? They will not stop milking us until we stop acting like cows. Does anyone know of another country where the police fail to do their work but insist on vehicle owners fitting expensive devices into their vehicles? We just keep setting new records for mumuness.

Just like the plate number encoding scam in Abuja. lolz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Driver Rams Into Bus Stop In Lagos. See Photos / Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road / Which Is Better: Rav4, Crv, Highlander Or Pathfinder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.