Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,205 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:13 PM

FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians (19507 Views)

FRSC Officials In Ibadan Sitting In Their Van Carelessly / Number Plate: FRSC To Impound Vehicles Oct 1 / Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by SaintMog(m): 5:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
another payday for the boys.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 15, 2014
eleojo23: But we already have natural speed limiters (pot holes) on most of our roads.

grin grin grin
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Hardheolar(m): 5:50pm On Sep 15, 2014
erico2k2:
Not coppied there is nowhere else abroad we have that
bros u dey okay so? u had better don't say wat u don't know
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Jarus(m): 5:55pm On Sep 15, 2014
It's unfortunately more of personal resolve than regulation. However, no matter how little, this will work to an extent.

My first car, a Honda Civic 2004, had speed limiter on it (120 km/hr). All the cars I used subsequently did not have, but the habit stayed. I have become used to 120 km/hr as personal speed limit. In fact, these days, I have lowered the threshold to 100.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by dre11(m): 6:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
biodunid: FRSC to enforce use of speed limiters

Bukola Amusan

From June 1 next year, motorists are expected to have a maximum speed limiter device in their vehicles, to reduce crashes.
Stakeholders spoke at the weekend in Abuja in a communiqué at the end of a one-day forum on the “National Policy on Maximum Road Speed Limiter for Vehicles”.
Speaking with reporters, the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive Officer of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Mr. Boboye Oyeyemi, said the commission was empowered to apprehend anyone who violated the speed limit.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/frsc-to-enforce-use-of-speed-limiters/

This people are just short of ideas
I don't know when they will think outside the box and do something reasonable for the motorist and passerby

Only to milk the people
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 15, 2014
Like most things I observe that happens in Nigeria, we put the cart before the horse.

I will give them this though, some of yah all drive like possessed maniacs considering the infrastructure on the ground. I just don't think that installing speed limiters in car is the solution. Overspeeding cars should be impounded and crushed. No need to punish folks that are observing clearly established speed limits.

The only vehicles with speed governors are commercial vehicles and some long distance trucks but this is voluntary between the companies and their insurance companies.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 15, 2014
Jarus: It's unfortunately more of personal resolve than regulation. However, no matter how little, this will work to an extent.

My first car, a Honda Civic 2004, had speed limiter on it (120 km/hr). All the cars I used subsequently did not have, but the habit stayed. I have become used to 120 km/hr as personal speed limit. In fact, these days, I have lowered the threshold to 100.

I like that, self imposed speed limiter grin

We have the same thing here in the US.

The fear of getting caught by Police, getting a ticket and having my insurance premium go up is my natural speed limiter.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by fireforfire: 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2014
Good idea but someone is about to scaterr in millions soon
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by hardbody: 6:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
teniola55: nicest idea

Most nicest idea. EOD
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by manny4life(m): 6:43pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

The fear of getting caught by Police, getting a ticket and having my insurance premium go up is my natural speed limiter.

Really? The USDOT imposed self limiter on commercial vehicles?
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life:

Really? The USDOT imposed self limiter on commercial vehicles?

No, they don't.

CityNG: Like most things I observe that happens in Nigeria, we put the cart before the horse.

I will give them this though, some of yah all drive like possessed maniacs considering the infrastructure on the ground. I just don't think that installing speed limiters in car is the solution. Overspeeding cars should be impounded and crushed. No need to punish folks that are observing clearly established speed limits.

The only vehicles with speed governors are commercial vehicles and some long distance trucks but this is voluntary between the companies and their insurance companies.

You can negotiate reduce insurance rates if you have speed limiter on commercial vehicles as well as a phone number that people can call to report unsafe driving.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Alexsmith20(m): 7:13pm On Sep 15, 2014
This would be another snare for those road-side police to add their N20 collection from perpetrators.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Charles4075(m): 7:24pm On Sep 15, 2014
100Cents:

See their agility as if lion appear now, dem no go pick race even with those guns..
. LWKMD.. Bros lion even too much. Firework sound go make them run self
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 7:28pm On Sep 15, 2014
Hardheolar: bros u dey okay so? u had better don't say wat u don't know
I nor blame you nah your papa I blame wey dey pay your school fees,half baked pre degree student.Instead of you to make good use of you GB and do research U are here spewing rubbish like OO.I work with AMP Cams plus movement sensored CCTV for traffic Enforcement int eh UK so I know waht I was talking about there as these devices are meant for commercial vehicles at the COy wishes, its not enforceable, just a way of limiting speeds for these trucks and HGVs.What we use here in the west are speed cameras which use Laser Beam technology combined with ANPR Cameras(Automatic Number Plate Recognition)These compares your Plate number to the data base and brings out owners details.Learn more or you will fail in school kmt

3 Likes

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 7:31pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

I aint driven in the US, so these speed limiters are they meant to be enforced by the police on both commercial and private vehicles? or just a mechanism to reduce Insurance premium?
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by ENDTIMES: 7:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ma.d pple with m.ad policies, they should first of all buy enough data capturing machines to improve issuance of driver's licence.

Yeye dey smell!!!
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 15, 2014
erico2k2:
I aint driven in the US, so these speed limiters are they meant to be enforced by the police on both commercial and private vehicles? or just a mechanism to reduce Insurance premium?

1) The police here have roving patrols (no road blocks per see unless doing special enforcement like checking for drunk drivers or looking for escaped convicts). So they will use radar to judge your speed as they drive and/or pace your vehicle and/or measure your speed against specially marked lines on the ground from the air.

If a private vehicles is caught speeding and depending on the speed they will issue a ticket which will earn 1 point (I think for California if you get 3 points in a year they take your license). For commercial drivers it's double the points. So the commercial drivers are very careful. They also have special patrols just for trucks. They patrol and set up an inspection area where they pull trucks over and check their logs (truck drivers have a limited amount of driving they can do in a 24 hour period), check their breaks, check the vehicles for safety violations, etc

So private companies will install speed limited on their trucks to reduce speed. New technology now is GPS tracking. The trucking office will get an instant alert when a driver exceeds a certain predetermined speed.

2) Insurance companies will give companies reduce insurance rates for companies that have some sort of program, either speed limited or GPS tracking in place to limit speed. Speed doesn't necessary kill but a speeding vehicle will cause more damage for the insurance company to pick up.

3) Insurance companies will also give reduced rates for companies that show a number that people can call in to report unsafe commercial truck. They take this very seriously by the way and their are 3rd party companies that can be contracted to receive the phone calls.

Hope that answers your question.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 8:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

1) The police here have roving patrols (no road blocks per see unless doing special enforcement like checking for drunk drivers or looking for escaped convicts). So they will use radar to judge your speed as they drive and/or pace your vehicle and/or measure your speed against specially marked lines on the ground from the air.

If a private vehicles is caught speeding and depending on the speed they will issue a ticket which will earn 1 point (I think for California if you get 3 points in a year they take your license). For commercial drivers it's double the points. So the commercial drivers are very careful. They also have special patrols just for trucks. They patrol and set up an inspection area where they pull trucks over and check their logs (truck drivers have a limited amount of driving they can do in a 24 hour period), check their breaks, check the vehicles for safety violations, etc

So private companies will install speed limited on their trucks to reduce speed. New technology now is GPS tracking. The trucking office will get an instant alert when a driver exceeds a certain predetermined speed.

2) Insurance companies will give companies reduce insurance rates for companies that have some sort of program, either speed limited or GPS tracking in place to limit speed. Speed doesn't necessary kill but a speeding vehicle will cause more damage for the insurance company to pick up.

3) Insurance companies will also give reduced rates for companies that show a number that people can call in to report unsafe commercial truck. They take this very seriously by the way and their are 3rd party companies that can be contracted to receive the phone calls.

Hope that answers your question.
Ok same as the uk, however we got the stationary flashing speed cameras, which would give 3 points, and you need 9 points 4 a total band in the UK plus fine.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by terryclarks: 8:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
To me its a waste of time, wat if I exceed d speed limit, wats gonna happen? Imagine am speeding @ d rate of 160 and I was caught @ d act, who is gonna chase me? Aint they the once dats gonna apprehend me. So by that we all av violated d law . Story for d Gods.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
erico2k2:
Ok same as the uk, however we got the stationary flashing speed cameras, which would give 3 points, and you need 9 points 4 a total band in the UK plus fine.

We don't have those in California but I know that Arizona and New Mexico have them on their major interstate freeways. A friend came to visit me in Texas from California and had a nice ticket waiting for her back at home.

Do you chaps have road blocks routinely performed in the UK by the Police?
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 9:16pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

We don't have those in California but I know that Arizona and New Mexico have them on their major interstate freeways. A friend came to visit me in Texas from California and had a nice ticket waiting for her back at home.

Do you chaps have road blocks routinely performed in the UK by the Police?
ok, Road Block ? The UK is HQ for police block, we have the Car Mounted ANPRs checking for road tax,drugs cars,non insured cars, non MOT cars U name it.But not like your guys over there who will stop every cars, down here you have to be stopped for a reason lol .Oh now we have these new speed cameras that are called variable speed detectors. eg if you are on a 10 mile stretch of road and speed limit is 30MPH, they might av say3 cameras on that rd,the first cam registers ur car the second and third cameras registers and calculate the time it took you from cam 1 to cam 2 if you beat the speed limit then your time would be shorter than the programmed time.These have no markings on the rd nor flashes, just pure ANPR.We have this in TOWER BRIDGE in London.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 9:17pm On Sep 15, 2014
terryclarks: To me its a waste of time, wat if I exceed d speed limit, wats gonna happen? Imagine am speeding @ d rate of 160 and I was caught @ d act, who is gonna chase me? Aint they the once dats gonna apprehend me. So by that we all av violated d law . Story for d Gods.
I agree, who gonna check how fast you have been and how
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by sambluesky(m): 9:25pm On Sep 15, 2014
d major cause of road accident is bad road nt speed. potholes are the major factor of unsafe road n at d same time it damages ones car more often. let gvmnt do their part besides the always promise us good road each time they need our vote....... for me i no fit stop for them for road
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Greyworld: 9:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
Wat abt dose rickety buses and taxis dat evn @ top speed go below 40km/h are dey expected 2 av d limiter?

Min while if FRSC wants 2 b relevant den dey shud be tinkin abt repairin bad roads n notin disturbin us wif thrash........ Warri pot holes don alrdy put limiter n delimiter 4 ma motor.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by Nobody: 11:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
erico2k2:
ok, Road Block ? The UK is HQ for police block, we have the Car Mounted ANPRs checking for road tax,drugs cars,non insured cars, non MOT cars U name it.But not like your guys over there who will stop every cars, down here you have to be stopped for a reason lol .Oh now we have these new speed cameras that are called variable speed detectors. eg if you are on a 10 mile stretch of road and speed limit is 30MPH, they might av say3 cameras on that rd,the first cam registers ur car the second and third cameras registers and calculate the time it took you from cam 1 to cam 2 if you beat the speed limit then your time would be shorter than the programmed time.These have no markings on the rd nor flashes, just pure ANPR.We have this in TOWER BRIDGE in London.

Actually a police officer here has to have probable cause to stop you. He must have a reasonable believe that you have or are committing a crime.

I haven't had any motor vehicle interaction with a police officer in over 5 years.

In fact the first and one of the very few questions someone should ask a police officer is why did you stop me?

We have a right to free movement.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by NumberOne2(m): 11:31pm On Sep 15, 2014
Rubbish. Remeber VIO and ENCODING?
These things DONT work. I am only sorry for those who rush to purchase such before a LOOMING deadline.
I'm still using my OLD number plate. Only reason I am using the new drivers license is cos it expired and you cannot be reissued the old one.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by DaV8King(m): 11:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
erico2k2:

If I recollect well, it is 12 smiley
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by ezelous: 11:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
They had better save it for The convoys of govt officials.
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by DaV8King(m): 11:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
FRSC using their Abuja budget creatively to ensure nationwide availability of equipment such as breathalyzers, tintometers, Radar guns and Laser speed guns will boost their income at least by 5% (fines from drunk driving, illegal tints and over speeding drivers). From my tiny coconut head for free and not costing a kobo to the already overtaxed Nigerian motorist
Re: FRSC To Impose Speed Limiting Devises On Nigerians by auhanson(m): 11:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
Oh mehn! this doesn't look good, it's only gonna spoil show for boys catching fun on wheels. Secondary, milking the heck out of us , just like the new plate number thing... Why don't they just let us be and think of better things ahead before copying this gimmicks from the organised society.What are we going to do with all the Benz's, Bm's and the super cars? limit their speed?They should provide racing tracks for boys; install surveillance cameras; have a database of all Nigerians with thumbprint and vehicles, to curb crimes before denying us our fun life. Must they always think of ways to make life boring as usual? This might just be another avenue to exploit the poor masses as usual...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Check Out The 43 Years Evolution Of Volkswagen Golf From MK1 To MK7 / Which Is Better: Rav4, Crv, Highlander Or Pathfinder / Now You Can Report VIO Sighting On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.