Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,146 members, 7,953,533 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:14 PM

What You May Not Know About Americans - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You May Not Know About Americans (32871 Views)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / 10 Things Most Nigerians Do Not Know About Slavery / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 26, 2014
khiaa:

My grandparents and most grandparents are not what you say. I know a Nigerian guy who is 22 with 2 Nigerian children and he is unmarried, and his parents are 45 and 50. So once again I ask you to show me the proof.

(A) Nigerian guy?.... Just one?.

I do live in America, so I can tell you about lots and lots of people I've come in contact with, who also happen to be young and mostly single parents/ grandparents....Isn't that enough proof?.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 26, 2014
glitest:

I do live in America, so I can tell you about lots and lots of people I come in contact with, who also happen to be young and mostly single parents/ grandparents....Isn't that enough proof?.
hi dear, hw u today?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
sameer1212: hi dear, hw u today?
I'm doing great love; You?.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by khiaa(f): 11:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
glitest:

I do live in America, so I can tell you about lots and lots of people I come in contact with, who also happen to be young and mostly single parents/ grandparents....Isn't that enough proof?.

No it is not enough because the people you come in contact with in your own little world is not all of America and by you saying this about them is no proof at all. It's just another one of your lies and stereotyping. The reason I brought up the Nigerian guy was to show how you generalise in the positive light when it comes to Nigerians and not all Nigerians in America live this life of morality that you wish to paint. Of course there are more young single, never married Nigerians parents than him, he was used as an example.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
glitest:
I'm doing great love; You?.
ayam fine dear. two days?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:05am On Sep 27, 2014
khiaa:

No it is not enough because the people you come in contact in your own little world is not all of America. The reason I brought up the Nigerian guy was to show how you generalise in the positive light when it comes to Nigerians and not all Nigerians in America live this life of morality that you wish to paint. Of course their are more single, unmarried Nigerians than him, he was used as an example.

My own little world?....Pls!....stats about African American children been born to either young parents, can be found on Google....Something anyone curious, can get within a few clicks....Its also an issue/ topic an unbiased AA, would agree to.......Very different from the suppose
Nigerian single parent, whom who you brought up as proof, with no evidence whatsoever......Now, tell me...Who has more facts?.

Oh!....One of my lies?....You tried it
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: ayam fine dear. two days?
Two days wetin?.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:09am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:
Two days wetin?.
uv not been on line
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:09am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: uv not been on line
School.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:11am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:
School.
ok dats good.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:11am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: ok dats good.
Thanks; So how was your week?.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: ok dats good.
Thanks.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:
Thanks; So how was your week?.
so so stressful, bt we thank god sha. urs?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by khiaa(f): 12:17am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:

My own little world?....Pls!....stats about African American children been born to either young parents is just a Google away....Something anyone curious, can get within a few clicks....Its also an issue/ topic an unbiased AA, would agree to.......Very different from the suppose
Nigerian single parent, whom who you brought up as proof, with no evidence whatsoever......Now, tell me...Who has more facts?.

It is only logic and common sense that not all Nigerians live a life of morality in America as well as the fact that not all Americans live a life without morals. That is not generalising. You made the comment that grandparents in America (regardless of race) are not good parents who love to party like teenagers with little regard to who takes care of the children, now you want to make it an AA thing.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:19am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: so so stressful, bt we thank god sha. urs?
Not too stressful..Although, I'm getting used to this semester, after taken off the whole summer doing absolutely NOTHING related to school. grin grin grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:24am On Sep 27, 2014
khiaa:

It is only logic and common sense that not all Nigerians live a life of morality in America as well as the fact that not all Americans live a life without morals. That is not generalising. You made the comment that grandparents in America (regardless of race) are not good parents who love to party like teenagers with little regard to who takes care of the children, now you want to make it an AA thing.

Pls!...Get your facts straight.....You're looking for an audience.
I stated at the end of my comments, that my opinion was solely referred towards young AA mothers/grandmothers....Something you clearly referred to, the first time you quoted me....First you claimed my comment was referred to all AA grandparents, now all races?...... This is the same person who called me a liar for stating a fact that even CNN reported just last year?
And you call me a liar?...You really do need to get back on track.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 27, 2014
shocked shocked
glitest:
Not too stressful..Although, I'm getting used to this semester, after taken off the whole summer doing absolutely NOTHING related to school. grin grin grin
shocked u most have got a lot of fun den?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: shocked shocked shocked u most have got a lot of fun den?
TOO MUCH FUN!.....grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:
TOO MUCH FUN!.....grin grin grin grin grin
hmmm ok ooo. happy for u sha
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:32am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: hmmm ok ooo. happy for u sha
Thanks love kiss kiss
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:
Thanks love kiss kiss
u wlcom dear.... hope u will be free to watch our boys tomoro?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 27, 2014
sameer1212: u wlcom dear.... hope u will be free to watch our boys tomoro?
Maybe; Maybe not.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by khiaa(f): 12:53am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:

Pls!...Get your facts straight.....You're looking for an audience.
I stated at the end of my comments, that my opinion was solely referred towards young AA mothers/grandmothers....Something you clearly referred to, the first time you quoted me....First you claimed my comment was referred to all AA grandparents, now all races?...... This is the same person who called me a liar for stating a fact that even CNN reported just last year?
And you call me a liar?...You really do need to get back on track.

You are a liar. Reread your original post. You said all that crap about AMERICAN grandparents excluding NIGERIANS and IMMIGRANTS. Now that I called you on it and asked you for proof you want to change it to an AA thing.

LMAO!! grin grin grin CNN, now I understand your ignorance and stereotyping.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by UyiIredia(m): 1:00am On Sep 27, 2014
Sweetlemon: Yeah we all think America is a liberated, free country for all. But what we do not know is that to some extent, there are things that Americans still practice despite all the feminism and human rights movements, some even outdated.
thing they are asking when you will come to see them!

9. Most American Grandmas Are Just As Prim And Proper As Ours; They take care of grandkids and give all the advice and lectures and are just as protective and desirous of grandkids as our own grandmothers.

If you doubt any of these, do some research.

Sure these things are true. Heck many of my favourite gospel books are American, and I will never tire of Don Moen, he has a nice voice. But then the faster you deal with a challenge, the better. So if they are getting liberal and between fools, thieves and liars Africans are hearing of what was virtually unknown amongst them, one must act quick before what happened in Europe and Russia repeats itself in the Americas and in Africa.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 1:27am On Sep 27, 2014
khiaa:

You are a liar. Reread your original post. You said all that crap about AMERICAN grandparents excluding NIGERIANS and IMMIGRANTS. Now that I called you on it asked for proof you want to change it to an AA thing.

LMAO!! grin grin grin CNN, now I understand your ignorance and stereotyping.

You call me ignorant, when you can simply comprehend crap.

I do admit that my first six comments was referenced towards Americans in general, which I clearly wasn't the only one on the thread, who found that to be a bit ridiculous.

The only time i made a comment towards a particular race, was when I stated that "most young grandmothers, partied 24/7 ".

You on the other hand, do need to stay on topic; First, you claimed I called all grandparents( men and women includded), "boozers and useless "?, and now your claim I made all 7 responses to op, about Americans in general?....You need to go back and read but my comments and that of op, cos the only time I mentioned all AA( men included), was only when you brought up that of that the suppose single young Nigerian father, whom you claimed to be true....Remember that isn't a confirmed statement.

Well; I was wrong mentioning CNN as a legit source, cos its obvious you do not pay attention to stuffs like that....You shouldn't have had added a smily face to your obviously dumb response..A very dumb idea.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by khiaa(f): 1:37am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:

You call me ignorant, when you can simply comprehend crap.

I do admit that my first six comments was referenced towards Americans in general, which I clearly wasn't the only one on the thread, who found that to be a bit ridiculous.

The only time i made a comment towards a particular race, was when I stated that "most young grandmothers, partied 24/7 ".

You on the other hand, do need to stay on topic; First, you claimed I called all grandparents( men and women includded), "boozers and useless "?, and now your claim I made all 7 responses to op, about Americans in general?....You need to go back and read but my comments and that of op, cos the only time I mentioned all AA( men included), was only when you brought up that of that the suppose single young Nigerian father, whom you claimed to be true....Remember that isn't a confirmed statement.

Well; I was wrong mentioning CNN as a legit source, cos its obvious you do not pay attention to stuffs like that....You shouldn't have had added a smily face to your obviously dumb response..You didn't come off been smart.

You are one of those type of persons who can't admit that they are wrong and that they are liars/exaggerators, so there will be no more conversing with you. You have some growing up to do. I am done.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 1:39am On Sep 27, 2014
khiaa:

You are one of those type of persons who can't admit that they are wrong and that they are liars/exaggerators, so there will be no more conversing with you. You have some growing up to do. I am done.

So now, you're trying to come off as some matured lady?...Pls; Save it.
You should have ended this baseless quarrel a long time ago. Now, you suddenly are opting out of the conversation, after you realized you clearly can't make up crap any longer....Goodbye!

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 27, 2014
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 1:53am On Sep 27, 2014
Sweetlemon: Yeah we all think America is a liberated, free country for all. But what we do not know is that to some extent, there are things that Americans still practice despite all the feminism and human rights movements, some even outdated.

1. Ain't Nothing Like Gender Equality: Yes there are a few superwomen here and there. Beyonce there, Oprah Winfrey there, female supreme court judges, etc. But there is a line drawn somewhere. Do you know that there are still many jobs that pay men more than women for doing exactly the same thing? Business policies are more male-tailored, also the percentage of female CEOs of top companies in Nigeria for instance is far more than that of the US. That's why they have so many laws protecting women to make up for this.
Also, it will be easier for a female president to come out from Nigeria than US (black or white) Let's bet this. Hilary Clinton fans take note of this.

2. They Actually Have a Deep Rooted Culture; Thanksgiving and 4th of July are traditions that will remain till thy kingdom comes and they follow it religiously. They also have certain kinds of music, food, and ways of partying that are strictly American. Apart from their atheists, they collectively say grace at the table during every family meal. They also have a tradition they observe in the weddings. Their weddings are more like trad and white rolled into one.

3. There Are Probably More Percentage Of Housewives In The US Than In Nigeria (minus rural settings); Go to high brow areas like Bel-air where there are wives of successful lawyers and and surgeons doing nothing all than taking care the kids and going shopping. Not just high brow but almost all classes of people. There are more and more housewives choosing to stay back and take care of the home. Some work from the house though.

4. There Are Lots Of Gold Diggers; This is for the "Nigerian girls and money" criers. American and Russian babes no dey carry last in the area of god digging. Marrying an American woman is like getting ready to loose more than half your wealth because in case of a divorce, the courts will give her most of your wealth which you will have to work hard to replenish. Sometimes it"s worse if she already has her own money, she will make sure she gets a good lawyer to squeeze you dry. But American billionaires have ways of making new money so they are coping. Lol. Do you know there are many, many young even middle aged attractive women with the sole aim of marrying wealthy men?

5. Straight Guys Hate Gay Guys; With a passion! Go to American sites and blogs and see anonymous comments from straight guys about gay men. You will coil! Words like "gay asss" or "gay" are used to ridicule them codedly. Gays can NEVER have equal rights in America. Politicians just use them to score points. They all know that homosexuals cannot actually live like and get all the benefits of straight people in all American states.

6. An American Guy Will Choose A Virgin Over A LovePeddler As Wife; Unless, of course love comes in, contrary to what people think that American men don't care about morality in their women, they will pick an inexperienced girl over a LovePeddler any time any day. Not like they are looking for virgins, but they need and crave decent women. If you don't believe me, watch BAGGAGE on Dstv 127 almost every evening. Also visit American blogs and forums. Yes the Average American guy can't resist some one night stands here and there but he can't marry her. Yes they can have baby mamas and even live with them, but they don't marry them.

7. There Are Actually More Percentage of Virgins In America Than In Most Countries In Africa; Some of them are the miss-goody-two-shoes, no makeup, no fancy dresses types while some are the party girl types. They chose to remain virgins not for religious reasons or because they are good girls but because they chose to preserve it for that special man, or to auction it off! Lol! Is it not oyibos that auction that virginity? Some as old as 26 years old!

8. American Guys Go To Meet Their Girlfriend's Families Long Before Nigerian Guys Are Ready For Such; They are also old-fashioned when it comes to serious relationships. Opening car doors, taking you out on several dates, and even meeting your folks before taking you to his house or asking you to come to his. Unlike our Nigerian niggas who get your number today and the next thing they are asking when you will come to see them!

9. Most American Grandmas Are Just As Prim And Proper As Ours; They take care of grandkids and give all the advice and lectures and are just as protective and desirous of grandkids as our own grandmothers.

If you doubt any of these, do some research.

1. True: Its no news, cos such applies everywhere.

2. True: Americans do take their culture seriously....Thanksgiving and Halloween.

3. No longer true: That was before the economy meltdown..The increase of working women is now at an all time high, compared to a decade ago when accomplishing the America dream was easily attainable.

4.VERY TRUE.

5. Very True.....Most find them annoying.

6. I can't help but to roll my eyes over this.....You are dead wrong....You ought to know that THOTING is the new black in America.

7.Not True: Although, Carlifornia might be about the same size as the whole of Nigeria ( if not bigger), but REALLY?

8.Very True: Most couples introduce each spouses to their parents, cos the pressure of whether or not they might get accepted or rejected by the parents, isn't an issue...They get married or stay with each other with or without their parents approval.

9. This would have been true, if we were taking about the 60's. The grand ma's of today are mostly 40 plus year olds, who act no different than their teenage daughters who party 24/7; living their a toddlers at home, for whoever to take care of.

Mind you, I never included foreigners or immigrants.. This refers to just solely Americans.. I also do apologize, if I offended anyone.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 1:58am On Sep 27, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok good someone already beat me to it. OP made up a lot of stuff.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 2:01am On Sep 27, 2014
glitest:

1. True: Its no news, cos such applies everywhere.

2. True: Americans do take their culture seriously....Thanksgiving and Halloween.

3. No longer true: That was before the economy meltdown..The increase of working women is now at an all time high, compared to a decade ago when accomplishing the America dream was easily attainable.

4.VERY TRUE.

5. Very True.....Most find them annoying.

6. I can't help but to roll my eyes over this.....You are dead wrong....You ought to know that THOTING is the new black in America.

7.Not True: Although, Carlifornia might be about the same size as the whole of Nigeria ( if not bigger), but REALLY?

8.Very True: Most couples introduce each spouses to their parents, cos the pressure of whether or not they might get accepted or rejected by the parents, isn't an issue...They get married or stay with each other with or without their parents approval.

9. This would have been true, if we were taking about the 60's. The grand ma's of today are mostly 40 plus year olds, who act no different than their teenage daughters who party 24/7; living their a toddlers at home, for whoever to take care of.

Mind you, I never included foreigners or immigrants.. This refers to just solely Americans.. I also do apologize, if I offended anyone.

You apologised because you know it's a lie. All american grandparents are in their 40's and boozing it up and partying like teenagers? It's people like you who lie and generalise to others who don't know any better and they take it as the truth, now tell me how did you come to know all the American grandparents in the US? Why did you stop there, tell them about the Nigerian parents and other imigrants all over the US who are out partying like their teenagers, come on tell them since you love generalising
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 27, 2014

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

The Prettiest African Woman / Tiv Forum / Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.