Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,257 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks (20092 Views)

Gov Fashola Meets Mbu, Assistant Inspector General Of Police(Photo) / Police IG, Orders Dismantling Of All Police Roadblocks Nationwide / An Open Letter To The .Inspector General Of Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by shogat(m): 10:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
RESURRECTION OF POLICE ROADBLOCKS IN NIGERIA: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE BY FUNSHO MICHAELS
Accept my heartfelt belated congratulatory message on your appointment as the amiable and exalted Inspector General of the Nigerian Police Force. I look forward to seeing you taking the police force into greater heights under your auspices. I strongly believe that your predecessor must have relayed the good works which he started to you.

I was reluctant at first writing you this letter because the sole motive undermining this piece should not be a course of discussion or altercation in Nigeria because I think bygones should always be bygones. But sequel to your appointment about a month ago I was shocked and demoralised seeing the swift resurrection of police roadblocks that was bided farewell by the then IG Muhammed Abubakar. The ban of police roadblocks by the ex IG was greeted and welcomed by citizens across the nation but the joy was dashed immediately after the retirement of Mr. Abubakar.

It became an indispensable necessity for me to write you this letter because we the citizens are saying NO to the roadblocks we have be encountering since your assumption of office and I am positive that vast majority of Nigerians share the same view with me. Recently, I was in a car and we were stopped by men of the NPF so I summoned the courage to question one of them about the bizarre act of the roadblock but I was perplexed at his reply. He laughed and said “guy you never hear say the old oga don go and na new person dey there so we are back”. The scenario kept me wondering whether you have officially lifted the ban on roadblocks and in support of it. I will prefer you addressing the issue publicly so that we Nigerians can know your stand on the matter. I believe you should be against roadblocks because you were one of the vital officers during the tenure of Mr. Abubakar.

According to the police, why roadblocks are mounted on our roads majorly is to prevent crimes and also help to arrest criminals. This reason seems very reasonable to a genuine fight against criminals in the society but the question am asking is how sincere is the motive against setting up checkpoints or roadblocks are to officers of the Nigeria police force today? We all know that checkpoints or roadblocks are means which the police extort money from poor motorists mostly commercial drivers. Having being on break for about two years, is like the bad eggs of the Nigerian police are determined to recover that which they have lost during the regime of the former IG. They don’t even care about the embarrassment this give to themselves and to the police force as a body; the act tarnishes the image of the police. The refusal to give them money leads to assault, harassment and numerous cases have been recorded where they even open fire on the victims.

Also checkpoints or roadblocks causes’ accidents and delay in journeys, people spend long time unnecessarily moving from one place to another due to roadblocks. The essence of roadblocks is for a temporary arrest of crime and as soon as this is done it is dismantled, this is the situation in other parts of the world and removing roadblocks in Nigeria has reduced corruption in the police.

Sir, for the mantra “police is your friend” to be significant in our dear country it is wise for you to take side with the abolishment of roadblocks permanently. There is only need for the police to maintain some degree of presence on the road at all times via motorised patrols like is done in other parts of the world.

Funsho Michaels

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by stevolinkon40: 11:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
Okay. Make I read am....okay reading now....space secured.....
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by 01mcfadden(m): 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
Nice write up.
You hardly differentiate between police and robbers these days. Only that one is corperate while the other is not. They are now utterly shameless as they will ask you categoricaly 'your money or your documents?' while armed robbers will ask 'your money or your life?'. Maybe that's one of the notable differences!

#Modified
One more push,then i'll be there. This Nairaland app is the real deal!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
its working
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Eneze1(f): 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
Hope something will be done about it because it's becoming annoying

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by FRANCISEKE1(m): 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
feels good sha
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by donphilopus: 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
Most of them look like armed robbers whenever they are on the highway!

15 Likes

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by tdayof(m): 11:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
cheesy cheesy
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by hernars(m): 11:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
Nice write up (as if I read it)
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by akinlex(m): 11:19pm On Sep 17, 2014
modified!!!
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by kwasoly(m): 11:19pm On Sep 17, 2014
;DSilent.
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by epospiky(m): 11:19pm On Sep 17, 2014
To be frank. I'm happy seeing the police on the roadblocks but it's so annoying when you are stopped on the road simply to give them so chicken feed. It's even more annoying when you see a policeman harassing you 'cause of chicken feed as though it's his right. So annoying. I think that should be checked. They, in fact, feel it's their sole right.

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by MrRhymes101(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
All this open letters una the write so, una the send the private copies to this people?? Abi una just the post them here hoping say they get nairaland account??

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by traware(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
Praise Jesus Christ!!!!!! Baba God na you noni.Creator of man and earth guide and protect your children forever and ever....

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Stuffyj(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
It's really annoying.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by emmanwandud(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
Choi I was even thinking that you would suggest a new police uniform without pockets so that men of intergrity wouldn't be tempted 2 collect bribes from d society
Ftc all d way

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Sunnycliff(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
News reporter Abi public opinion analyst, we are yet to enjoy The freedom of information bill and press freedom. Hope This your contact is...hmmmm!! Safety first. Sounding my village town crier gong

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Aitee1: 11:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
Where are the space bookers

Gdnite people...will read when I wake up grin

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by AdelokikiMr(m): 11:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
This GuyHead too Correct, I'm with you on this OP, Naija can not maintian a simple law...Now the police are now back on the road disturbing everybody..make the guy tak make we know our fate sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by standupguy(m): 11:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
I concur.
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by donsax: 11:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
Nice.
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Olucheye(m): 11:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
The Greatest Lies Ever Told To Humanity Are As Follows;

- NIGERIAN POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND!

- BAIL IS FREE

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Aitee1: 11:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
emmanwandud: Choi I was even thinking that you would suggest a new police uniform without pockets so that men of intergrity wouldn't be tempted 2 collect bribes from d society
Ftc all d way

Ftc in ur dream abi??

Oya wake up and count the comments b4 urs so u knw the number u fall grin

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by CharlieMaria(m): 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
Will soon read and comment. Brb
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by continentalceo(m): 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
Well written. IG your actions in the police force this early days will tell us were you standio! You better use ur brainio! Ah! Or you will jeopardise the good works that u came an metio! A word is enough for a wisio! I'm donio!
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
Those police guys are making millions at Aba/portharcourt expressway.
There are about 22 checkpoints from Aba to PH only, including military checkpoint.

Shameless policemen harrassing commercial drivers especially.
They've upgraded, you must give them 50naira or follow them to their so called station.
Thieves in police uniform....tufia
So sad

7 Likes

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by RotrEmmanuel: 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
making sense
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by metalliccards(f): 11:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
Really frm my own point of veiw I think roadblocks as more goods dan harms, think of d CHIBOK girls if only roadblock still exist, those on duty whould ve been held 2 explain 1 or2 tins abt d incident.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by alaoeri: 11:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
Op will convey ur msg, the new CP of lagos is a good friend of my uncle. tongue
Re: Open Letter To The Inspector General Of Police On Roadblocks by publicenemy(m): 11:26pm On Sep 17, 2014
I didnt have to read the entire article,but beleive me those road blocks will bring more good than harm to our society.

i mean roadblocks within cities not highways

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oby Ezekwesili Expresses Disappointment After Police Blocked Them During Protest / Southwest The Most Hostile And Volatile Region, SW A Peaceful Myth / Take Responsibility And Stop The Blame Game – PDP Group Tells Diri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.