Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,585 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) (60251 Views)

Catholic Bishops Attack Father Mbaka For Anti-jonathan Prophecies. / FG not doing enough to prevent anarchy -Catholic bishops / We Are Still In Can-catholic Bishops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Aliucha: 1:27am On Sep 20, 2014
Please God in Heaven look unto Nigeria with pity and fill us with your holy spirit that your will may be done. Give us the wisdom to accept what we should accept and courage to reject and condemn evil.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by cktheluckyman: 4:50am On Sep 20, 2014
Juvante: @ ubenedictus, Martin Luther was excommunicated by Pope on what grounds? He challenged the Pope to a debate and pasted 99 questions on his Church gate. The Pope ordered the sale of indulgence, forgiveness of sin by payment of money! I dare you to answer true or false? Is it different from Pastors who deceive their members to "sow seeds"?

You are either provokingly mischievous or astounishly uneducated!!! Are you really arguing whether the catholic church excommunicated luther? Seriously? Even in this 21st century.I think you are of unstable mind
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by cktheluckyman: 4:54am On Sep 20, 2014
Juvante: @ ubenedictus, I dare you to name a single Catholic priest that was killed by the Nazis in Germany! Only two "stubborn" bishops were arrested and reinstated due to public protest!
I told you to search for transcripts of the Nuremberg trials of the Nazi criminals and read first hand of what happened.
Go and read first hand account by Pope John Paul of his experience in Poland. You have conveniently forgotten the ruckus that was raised about Pope Benedict's role in the war,and his subsequent explanation!
I dare you to paste the exact apology by Pope John Paul for all to read,and then,all can judge if you are more catholic than the Pope!

Kindly quit embarrassing yourself!! Lots of catholic priests were killed even Pope Johnpaul ii narrowly escaped death.I will give you the name of the most popular one St Maximillian Kolbe.use google and read up about him
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Rockmyworld(m): 5:08am On Sep 20, 2014
just saw this thread, my views goes like this.

i dont want to knw what church u attend but pullin out of can is a wrong idea, there is more to CAN than u knw. Nigeria is where he is now because of God Alone and the existenc of CAN. i dnt knw if u knw anythin about islamic agenda in this country, nigeria acordin to the 1993 constitutn was meant to be an islamic country. i urge evry1 to go do some research on islamic agenda on nigeria. i also saw people say AYO Support PDP, my pple pdp is the only party that still hav the interest of christian in heart, that party called APC is meant to wipe out christianity out of this country just watch and see, can u imagin that all the post in APC from the smallest to the top are all held by muslims. am not against any tribe nw but i am sayin what do u want ur leader to believ in? pls do ur research very well. i can be wrong but we are not all fools at the same time.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by tonychristopher: 5:47am On Sep 20, 2014
Realdeals: The Christian Association of Nigerian, CAN, an umbrella body for the country’s teeming Christians, descended into full-blown crisis Wednesday with the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria making public its decision to pull out of the fold over the way the Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor-led executive is running the association. The Catholic bishop’s action is perhaps the first time in the association’s 37-year history that any of its five blocs would pull out over alleged poor leadership and politicization of the association.
CAN was formed in 1976 by five Christian blocs in the country: the Christian Council of Nigeria; the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria, the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria; Organisation of African Instituted Churches, and the Evangelical Fellowship of West Africa.
But in a letter to Mr. Oritsejafor in September but made public Wednesday, the Catholics, one of the association’s most influential blocs, said it was temporarily exiting “over some recent attitudes, utterances and actions of the national leadership of CAN which in our opinion negate the concept of the foundation of the association and the desire of Our Lord Jesus Christ”. The letter, dated September 24, 2012, is signed by Most Rev Ignatius Kaigama, President, Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBNC) and addressed to Mr. Oritsejafor.
Mr. Kaigama said his group was suspending “participation in CAN meetings at the national level until such a time the leadership of CAN reverse back to the original vision, mission and objectives of CAN”. Expatiating further on its grouse with the Oritsejafor-led leadership of the association, the bishops lamented that CAN had been politicized and was no longer being used to promote peace and unity in the country. “CAN is being dragged into partisan politics thereby compromising the ability to play its true role as conscience of the nation and the voice of the voiceless,” the bishops said. Mr. Oritsejafor has often been accused of being divisive in the way he is running the association, often making comments in support of the Peoples Democratic Party-led federal government and President Goodluck Jonathan. Some Christians believe he has pushed CAN into ignominy with his utterances and actions making Nigerians to regard the association as an arm of the PDP.
Mr. Oritsejafor became even more unpopular among his colleagues and around the country in late 2012 when he got a new jet as gift from unknown donors even as many more than 70 percent of Nigerians live below the poverty line. He is yet to disclose the names of those who gave him the jet. But he maintained that the jet would enable him to travel around Nigeria and the world for evangelism with little or no flight delay. Read full letter below.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/116774-why-we-pulled-out-of-can-catholic-bishops.html

The Problem In Christianity Are PentecostaL Pastors

2 Likes

Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Juvante(m): 7:16am On Sep 20, 2014
[quote
author=cktheluckyman]

You are either provokingly mischievous or astounishly uneducated!!! Are
you really arguing whether the catholic church excommunicated luther?
Seriously? Even in this 21st century.I think you are of unstable
mind[/quote]
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Juvante(m): 7:19am On Sep 20, 2014
[quote
author=cktheluckyman]

You are either provokingly mischievous or astounishly uneducated!!! Are
you really arguing whether the catholic church excommunicated luther?
Seriously? Even in this 21st century.I think you are of unstable
mind[/quote]

You are a good example of the reason why Nigerians are asked to write TOEFL by foreign schools.

1 Like

Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Juvante(m): 7:23am On Sep 20, 2014
[quote
author=cktheluckyman]

Kindly quit embarrassing yourself!! Lots of catholic priests were killed
even Pope Johnpaul ii narrowly escaped death.I will give you the name
of the most popular one St Maximillian Kolbe.use google and read up
about him[/quote]
Who is the liar here? Kolbe was not killed because he was a Priest. He made a deal with the Nazis to die in place of someone else! True or false? stop spreading lies.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Udoka89: 2:44am On Sep 21, 2014
Hello
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by etimwillz: 3:22am On Sep 21, 2014
Good move by d catholics. I think other associations shud do same. As for oritsejafor....hmmmmm angry,he should bury his head in shame Hegoat
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 21, 2014
oliviastacey: u r just ignorant #illetracy
good morning
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by kingforever: 2:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
Since Ayo Oritsejafor have been defending christians aganst the insurgents in the north, none of these guys speaking against him commended him. Now that we have an issue at hand that happened to be falsely connected to him, even though the federal govt. has taken responsibility of the issue, still accusations are stiil being rained on Ayo Oritsejafor. It is very easy to be a fool. It is also very easy to be bias. Do nothing you becomea fool. It takes efforts and courage to be wise.

To an extent TODAY, christians can breathe a sigh of relief in the north, it was because a man as Ayo Oritsejafor like Marthin Luther King Jr. spoke against it. However, it is not surprising for him to be attacked here to the point of raising a story far past in 2012. It was not easy for Marthin Luther King Jr. to the extent of him loosing his life for the dream he saw, but today, the black americans are there in the dream he saw. The bible said 'He that is RIGHTEOUS shuold be RIGHTEOUS still and he hat is UNRIGHTEOUS should be UNRIGHTEOUS still' Whether catholic bishop or church memeber, or wicked man or wicked woman we are spending our time already, we will give account of it not too far away. So my candid advice for us is this, without us being a christian or a non-christian, we should all look at the positive side of the human race,what is good for us as humans let us embrace it , support it and sustain it. Cheers.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 5:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
Juvante: @ ubenedictus, Martin Luther was excommunicated by Pope on what grounds? He challenged the Pope to a debate and pasted 99 questions on his Church gate. The Pope ordered the sale of indulgence, forgiveness of sin by payment of money! I dare you to answer true or false? Is it different from Pastors who deceive their members to "sow seeds"?

this again shows your ignorance.

Indulgence isn't equal to forgiveness of sins. Indulgences are gotten after sins have been forgiven.

The pope never ordered the sale of indulgence, this is what i call historical amaturism. Go get you facts right.

Martin luther didn't challenge the pope to a debate, the 99 thesis was to be discussed in his own school, it was the practice then to paste issues for debate before the debate.

Luther was excommunicated for heresy... Very many of them which i do not care to recount.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 6:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
Juvante: @ Ubenedictus, since you believe the hands of the Church is blood free, just Google the role of catholic priests in the rise of anti-semitism starting from Russia,France to Germany!
Excommunication was an option that was never followed,even when it was public knowledge that Hitler was a firm believer of Aryan Christianity and Volkism.
Instead of relying on Wikipaedia,
Visit Europe and read in real libraries,not the glorified "bookshops" in Nigeria!

this again shows your lack of historical knowledge, do you remember what happened the last time the pope excommunicated a head of state?

Think...think..., it backfired on the church and got many catholics killed,

king henry....

I believe also elizabeth 1...

Forgetten the last one....

But each time the excommunication had an adverse effect over 3000 priest were arrested by hitler, an excommunication will be a good reason for retailation.

Do you know what happened after the bishops of poland with the blessing of the pope went against hitler? You can read it up.

Are you even aware that there were many jews begging the pope not to say anything inflamatory as it was more likely to get them killed than improve their situation,...
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 6:03pm On Sep 26, 2014
Juvante: @ ubenedictus, I dare you to name a single Catholic priest that was killed by the Nazis in Germany! Only two "stubborn" bishops were arrested and reinstated due to public protest!
I told you to search for transcripts of the Nuremberg trials of the Nazi criminals and read first hand of what happened.
Go and read first hand account by Pope John Paul of his experience in Poland. You have conveniently forgotten the ruckus that was raised about Pope Benedict's role in the war,and his subsequent explanation!
I dare you to paste the exact apology by Pope John Paul for all to read,and then,all can judge if you are more catholic than the Pope!

oh please!

It seems you certainly having been reading, at least 1,200 priest died and were used for experiments in the very first camp hitler made.... Do you even know the story of st. Maximilan kolbe?
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 6:15pm On Sep 26, 2014
Juvante: @ Ubenedictus, a treaty is a collection of agreements. The Lateran Treaty of 1929 has a section called the Concordat. It contains deals between Mussolini and the Church. The Church was made a State religion,and Fascism was given a free hand to operate! I dare you to post the contents of the Concordat in the treaty,if there is a single mention of land!
It is on record that no Nazi was excommunicated by the Church.
I am really sorry for making you to be on Wikipaedia,burning your precious megabytes. When you are free to visit Europe, pm me and I will direct you to the nearest Holocaust Centre for more information.

the part of the lateran treaty called the concordat, reaffirmed that catholicism is the official religion in italy.... Among other things the concordat made sure rome was politically nuetral (a position the vatican maintains to this day).

But certainly dear "facism was given a free hand to operate" is an exageration.

The pope had already been dispossessed of the papal states, all of italy was already under facism...whether or not the treaty was sign facism was the form of government in italy and there was nothing the vatican could do about that.

Lastly i noticed the stench of pride and a certain air of intellectual superiority about this post.

You do not know me, you do not know where i have been, nor do you know where i am, so stop making silly supremacist comments.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 6:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
Juvante:
Who is the liar here? Kolbe was not killed because he was a Priest. He made a deal with the Nazis to die in place of someone else! True or false? stop spreading lies.

oh, can you tell us why he was arrested in the first place.

What was he doing in concentration camp? Playing there?

1 Like

Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 7:15pm On Sep 26, 2014
Juvante:

read up on alfred delph, he was a german priest, killed by the hitler regim.

While you are at it read up on the dachau camp, at least over 1000 polish priests were imprisioned there, over 400 germaan priests were imprisioned ther and over 90 of those german priest died there. That is just two nationalities in one camp alone.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by Ubenedictus(m): 7:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
Also read up on Blessed Bernhard Lichtenberg.
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by DOnly1(m): 7:09pm On Sep 30, 2014
lokito: There are only two churches in the world, the Catholic Church and Others.

Na wao. So many quotes/mentions on me 2day. These Pentecostals ain't loyal
what makes me glad the most is the fact that, church denomination isn't a requirement to qualify me for heaven. in order words, one less thing to worry about in Jesus name
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by fuckerholic(m): 11:17pm On Jan 23, 2015
Pk001:
Old Story. Who cares?
The Xtian faith remains stronger with or without the Catholic bishops.
Thank you very much and may God bless you
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by fuckerholic(m): 11:23pm On Jan 23, 2015
[quote author=Realdeals post=26395439]said it was temporarily exiting “over some recent attitudes, utterances and actions of the national leadership of CAN which in our opinion negate the concept of the foundation of the association and the desire of Our Lord Jesus Christ”. -3.16.05-PM.png[/img]

Na lie..I strongly belive your seccession has something to do with not valuing mary the way you people did. Now you said its about the desire oy jesus when in actual sense you worship mary more than Jesus and God himself
Re: Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) by fuckerholic(m): 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2015
Realdeals:
The Catholics, one of the association’s most influential blocs, said it was temporarily exiting “over some recent attitudes, utterances and actions of the national leadership of CAN which in our opinion negate the concept of the foundation of the association and the desire of Our Lord Jesus Christ”html

Na lie..I strongly belive your seccession has something to do with not valuing mary the way you people did. Now you said its about the desire oy jesus when in actual sense you worship mary more than Jesus and God himself

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Bolu Adubi: Pastor Adeboye’s Only Daughter (Photo) / Former Prince Of 'ISIS' Turns To Christ After A God Dream: 'I Saw A Love That... / Church Member Becomes Mentally Deranged After Burning Her Village Shrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.