Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola (1883 Views)

$2b Arms Deal: EFCC Confronts Dasuki, Dokpesi & Co With Evidence Of Transactions / 'better An Ex-dictator Than A Weak President'- UK Telegraph / Disparaging Comments About Nigeria: Reno Confronts Buhari With Facts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 20, 2014
Nigeria's weak health
sector confronts Ebola

Spread of Ebola contained, but
health system is having
trouble dealing with treatable
diseases which kill thousands.

Lagos, Nigeria - When 17- year-old Ibrahim Abbas came
down with a fever in Lagos,
Nigeria's commercial capital,
health providers in over 10
hospitals refused to admit
him. Some feared Ebola, but blood tests showed he had malaria, a curable illness
that kills over 200,000
Nigerians annually , according to Nigeria's latest
Demographic and Health
Survey. Others lacked supplies
needed to treat his severe
form of malaria. He died the
next morning. "He was helpless... He needed
oxygen to enhance his
breathing," Magu Abdul,
Abbas' 27-year-old cousin said,
recounting what happened on
August 22 when the family rushed then-unconscious
Abbas from one hospital to
another. Out of options, they
took Abbas home at midnight
and simply prayed. That
morning, Abdul saw Abbas take his last breath.

Abbas is one of hundreds of
thousands of Nigerians who
die each year from treatable
diseases. Most of these deaths
affect the most vulnerable:
children under five and pregnant women. In 2010, an
estimated 209,000 Nigerians
died of malaria - 32 percent of
global malaria deaths -
according to Nigeria's 2013
Demographic and Health Survey.

Africa's biggest oil producer
and largest economy has one
of the world's highest child
and maternal mortality
rates. In 2012, an estimated
827,000 children under five died, while the reported
maternal mortality rate was
550 per 100,000 live births,
according to UNICEF . Most of Nigeria's childhood
deaths are due to preventable
or curable diseases: mainly
malaria, pneumonia, and
diarrhoea. Primary healthcare,
run by local governments - Nigeria's smallest unit of
government - is tasked with
handling these common
illnesses. The level of care in each centre
varies, but generally, primary
facilities do not have enough
health workers, supplies,
equipment, training, or
transport - including ambulances to take patients
to state or federal
hospitals, says Michael Asuzu,
a public health
and epidemiology professor at
the University of Ibadan. In its five-year 2010 National
Strategic Health Development
Plan, the health ministry acknowledged that "although accountability
problems affect all levels of
government, at the local level
they present a particular
challenge".

http://m.aljazeera.com/se/2014915917268515
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by atlwireles: 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin Sorry, Nigeria's weak, failed system contained ebola, that's the news. Don't try to add anything else.

6 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by ifyalways(f): 1:33pm On Sep 20, 2014
Honestly, I'm impressed.

Nigeria made it despite all odds. No one gave us a chance.

6 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by talktimi(m): 1:33pm On Sep 20, 2014
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by buzor(m): 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
the useless racist arab television.
when they see nigerian army is winning war on terror, then they stop reporting about bokohoram. when they see nigerian health sector has confronted ebola they started reporting about some shi.t blind people in the north.

only uninformed peeps watch that suc.king station

8 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Abbycite(m): 1:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
Am so proud of my country.............NIGERIA!

Even if it is a one time thing.....we did it against all odds.....

6 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by mployer(m): 1:57pm On Sep 20, 2014
There is hope for this country
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Visocrate(m): 2:14pm On Sep 20, 2014
With God all things are possible we will get to that level

1 Like

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Oklander: 2:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
atlwireles: grin grin grin grin grin Sorry, Nigeria weak, failed system contained ebola, that's the news. Don't try to add anything else.
Other things added were to prove their assertion. Lol... grin

1 Like

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Lordlexyy: 2:22pm On Sep 20, 2014
God is certainly a Nigerian. Imagine the devastation ebola disease would have caused with our huge population in retrospect and health system on comatose, yet we braze through at a time the doctors were on strike. The outside world were expecting bad report of massive death, but as usual, they are disappointed. The Health Minister deserve special commendation. He has proven that his appointment was not a hoax as such he has risen to the task when he was needed most. This is how these foreigners wishing us evil will continually get disappointed. 2015 will come and go and their predictions will not materialise cos My Nigeria is destined for greatness and not disentegration.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Dreambeat: 2:25pm On Sep 20, 2014
atlwireles: grin grin grin grin grin Sorry, Nigeria weak, failed system contained ebola, that's the news. Don't try to add anything else.
They just needed to add one negative news to discredit the stride achieved with the Ebola containment.

3 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by maximunimpact(m): 2:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
Why do d so called developed countries get intimidated wen eva a so called developing country achieves a feat? Just one day AFRICA will recolonise d entire world!

2 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by makazona(m): 2:48pm On Sep 20, 2014
CNN,BBC,Aljazeera etc have to types of news they dish out-real news and baised/watered news.
Unfortunately,85% of their news belong to the later.

#NigeriaWillRiseAgain

3 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by fr3do(m): 2:57pm On Sep 20, 2014
grin grin grin
I won't say anything

Other than, God bless my Country.

1 Like

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by ITbomb(m): 3:42pm On Sep 20, 2014
Being in Nigeria and seeing how this foreign media BBC, CNN, ALJAZEERA reports news makes me begin to doubt about what they report in other lands, wars in middle East, African conflicts etc.

I hate any Nigerian company that advertise on these channels, if I had my way they should be black out

4 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by eleojo23: 3:44pm On Sep 20, 2014
I'm not suprised. They did not expect it. They thought it would be a potential bad news for weeks. Sorry to disappoint you guys, you're not getting any bad news item from Nigeria on ebola. Look somewhere else. Always looking for bad news.

4 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by reedonne: 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2014
If 900,000 child die before 5 Nigeria, then more than 1000 young people die in my hometown(EDE,STATE OF OSUN) every year?.
Maybe they should go and validate their stat.
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by 4Play(m): 4:26pm On Sep 20, 2014
reedonne: If 900,000 child die before 5 Nigeria, then more than 1000 young people die in my hometown(EDE,STATE OF OSUN) every year?.
Maybe they should go and validate their stat.

Yes, if the residents of Ede make up 0.11% of Nigeria's population and the under-5 mortality rate in Ede is the same as Nigeria's.
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by gsainttrinity(m): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2014
buzor: the useless racist arab television.
when they see nigerian army is winning war on terror, then they stop reporting about bokohoram. when they see nigerian health sector has confronted ebola they started reporting about some shi.t blind people in the north.

only uninformed peeps watch that suc.king station

And i thought i was the only one thinking the foreign news agency are agents of Devil?
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by Ichel: 6:53pm On Sep 20, 2014
gsainttrinity:

And i thought i was the only one thinking the foreign news agency are agents of Devil?
xpecially CNN and Aljazeera.
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by adconline(m): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2014
Bunch of delusional folks! CNN and BBC are western propaganda and Al Jazerra has joined Arabian propaganda?? Are we not ashamed that our NTA, which over 50 yrs old cannot compete with Al- Jazerra, which is less than 10 yrs?
We love those media houses when they state that we are the largest economy in Africa? Hate them when state that malaria kills about 300K Nigerians every year.

3 Likes

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by shigoslim(m): 7:26pm On Sep 20, 2014
No be their fort, shebi na we they depreciate ourselve as if our country is totally poor wink
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by reedonne: 8:06pm On Sep 20, 2014
4Play:

Yes, if the residents of Ede make up 0.11% of Nigeria's population and the under-5 mortality rate in Ede is the same as Nigeria's.
Its official population is 150,000.
But I dont think 5000 under 5 children die every year in this town(or city as you wish to call it.)
Also the official poverty rate for Nigeria doesnt reflect here. Same with malaria related deaths.
I think our goverment need to do LG by LG stats so that they can capture more people at the sametime have credible information about each LG in Nigeria.
Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by opportunist: 8:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
walahi since dey born me I neva hear ov anyone who died of malaria. Where these news guys com dey get their stats 4rm undecided whites; painting Africa black since 1603

1 Like

Re: Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak Health Sector Confronts Ebola by olumuyiolaoluwa: 8:45pm On Sep 20, 2014
D oda day Aljazeera was talking about River Blindness I don't really know d name of the village the captured in Kaduna, yu need to see d way dis guyz were just spewing thrash like the level of poverty, No of people it affects and killed yearly. I was just like damn whatz all diz. So River Blindness has become so deadly in 9ja. What I have to add is God Bless NIGERIA.

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Sponsored Local Vigilante To Reclaim Mubi / Obj Speaks On Gmb: / Total Number Of Registered Voter's In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.