Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,759 members, 7,820,645 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! (12614 Views)

Intermittent Starting Problem -2007 Honda Accord. / Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection / Car Jerks When Put In Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 26, 2014
Bossmd:

The diagram under the hood is just a schematic drawing, not easily understood. If anyone can guide me on how I can locate the wiring to the vacuum system will be greatly helpful. I understand they are all underneath the car.

And that's exactly what you need when you're ready to try a fix.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 6:22am On Sep 26, 2014
Bossmd:

The diagram under the hood is just a schematic drawing, not easily understood. If anyone can guide me on how I can locate the wiring to the vacuum system will be greatly helpful. I understand they are all underneath the car.

Also where is the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) located?

They unmoumnted my gas tank recently because it contained water and some impurities. ....so they had to drop it and clean it....could this be the cause of the problem, maybe in an attempt to reinstall the tank they tamper with the charcoal canister.

Do I have to replace the entire Charcoal Canister Assembly?

All these bolded, I don dey fear o! Because if your car is a toyota and these parts are defective na gobe for pocket o! By the way, you said your petrol tank was dropped due to dirt and impurities, have you bothered checking the fuel filter too?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 7:04am On Sep 26, 2014
lomomike:

All these bolded, I don dey fear o! Because if your car is a toyota and these parts are defective na gobe for pocket o! By the way, you said your petrol tank was dropped due to dirt and impurities, have you bothered checking the fuel filter too?

No I haven't checked the fuel filter....just that the fuel pump has been replaced before. But now what I noticed is that whenever I put off the ignition the fuel guage pointer does not drop to zero immediately until after parking the car for a while before it drops, I don't know if this is normal.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 7:40am On Sep 26, 2014
Can I get that charcoal canister at Ladipo?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 7:40am On Sep 26, 2014
I thought some 1 here said a defections charcoal canister does not have any effect on a car. @ "op" its better you get intouch with an expert in the house so that the car's problem can be tackled wisely. Your fault codes are one atleast another brain tasking codes. Not just a work about thing
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 8:44am On Sep 26, 2014
@Mayor exactly. I need a know-how on how to go about those codes. The dude that scanned the car only understood the P0301 code. He couldn't figure out what the other codes at all because he was telling me to tighten my air filter, that that could be responsible for the other codes. So obviously he doesn't have an idea what those codes meant. But from the little online research I've done, people with similar issues ended up replacing their charcoal canister!! My fear!
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 8:53am On Sep 26, 2014
Okay now I just started the car.....the CEL is back on!!!
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 8:56am On Sep 26, 2014
But why is Siena not responding to this my thread? What of ikenna351? Gazzuzz? I know Lomomike has tried......Siena abeg you guys should help a brother na?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Ikenna351(m): 10:06am On Sep 26, 2014
Bossmd: But why is Siena not responding to this my thread? What of ikenna351? Gazzuzz? I know Lomomike has tried......Siena abeg you guys should help a brother na?

EVAP is not in Peugeots dictionary. So, I dey siddon look for your Mata. grin

Ikenna
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 26, 2014
Bossmd:

They unmoumnted my gas tank recently because it contained water and some impurities. ....so they had to drop it and clean it....could this be the cause of the problem, maybe in an attempt to reinstall the tank they tamper with the charcoal canister.

This is why people go to automotive schools for years to learn the trade and become master mechanic.

You are trying to do the job that they pay $50 to $75 an hour at dealerships here for so it requires some extra efforts on your part.

When they dropped your tank they probably dislodged all sorts of vacuum lines and electronic connectors that are not physically plugged into the tank.

Like I said earlier "you don enter am", you are not going to easily solve this without rolling up your sleeves.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 3:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
So does that mean in the whole of Nairaland nobody can help to solve this problem?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:03pm On Sep 26, 2014
Bossmd: So does that mean in the whole of Nairaland nobody can help to solve this problem?

Read about your problem and fix it, or pay a 3rd party to do it for you, there are too many things involved.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by chillex8(m): 5:22pm On Sep 26, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Read about your problem and fix it, or pay a 3rd party to do it for you, there are too many things involved.

Exactly.

You can fix it yourself...
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2014
Call 08165520837 or 08156087872. Bb pin 7BE1C522
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by chukel(m): 3:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
Op, ur wahala started when ur tank was brought down. The charcoal cannister is close to the tank. Either some vacuum hose was misfitted or not fitted at all. I can help u with pdf copy of 2007 camry repair manual. But I don't kn how to send it. Alternatively, I can send u d fuel system part that has to do with ur present ish. Pm me. At least it will help u in knowing what was not fixed well or fixed at all
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by sultaan(m): 5:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
If your car CEL is blinking and car stops it is not the charcoal canister or vacuum lines those only give you the recirc codes.

Start fixing the P0301 code first.

Since they changed your engine after the initial no oil drive, did they replace it with the right type that is controlled by that computer?

post a pic of the engine.

Those other codes were caused by the guys that worked on your gas tank, the sender on the fuel pump is not working right either they installed something fake, damaged it or its a used one that was hanging up.

The VSV and other things in the code list you gave are all associated with the same area near the gas tank. get under the car and look near the gas than at where the fuel lines and rubber recirc hoses meet there(charcoal canister black box) isa small sensor there connected to electrical connector it is suppose to open and close in operation.If those mechs didn't reconnect or kink the vacuum lines it will give you those readings .look at it and compare to other camry .

Those things can go bad with bad fuel and overfueling but it was not a problem until you dropped your tank.

Why is it in Nigeria you always replace the fuel pump before even thinking of the filter, 99% of the time the pump is still good just the filter is clogged.The easiest cheapest and scheduled item to be replace is the last thing they will touch fuel pump first then ecu lastly fuel filter( how can blowing air into filter clear things out?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 27, 2014
^^^^ after I read the part where the fuel tank was dropped, I gave up on this thread and stopped giving advices here. The Op is negligent about his car (no insult intended) hence the mechanics are using his camry as 'specimen X' in their trial and error experiment.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by sultaan(m): 6:46pm On Sep 27, 2014
lomomike: ^^^^ after I read the part where the fuel tank was dropped, I gave up on this thread and stopped giving advices here. The Op is negligent about his car (no insult intended) hence the mechanics are using his camry as 'specimen X' in their trial and error experiment.

I want to believe that was done for water in the tank.

Everytime those mech touch something they cause another problem to keep the money rolling grin
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 9:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Most time when the filter is clogged you need to change the fuel pump cos the pump must hae surely been over stressed. This "op" car issue is getting complicated day by day grin
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 6:15am On Sep 28, 2014
sultaan:

I want to believe that was done for water in the tank.

Everytime those mech touch something they cause another problem to keep the money rolling grin

Exactly sir......they brought the tank down to empty it of water. Although I don't know how water managed to enter the tank though.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 6:20am On Sep 28, 2014
lomomike: ^^^^ after I read the part where the fuel tank was dropped, I gave up on this thread and stopped giving advices here. The Op is negligent about his car (no insult intended) hence the mechanics are using his camry as 'specimen X' in their trial and error experiment.

@Lomomike Please can you tell me how I'm negligent? The tank was filled with half water, half fuel. This damaged the fuel pump which we had to replace. All attempts to clear the water without dropping the tank failed and so they had to drop the tank to do a thorough cleaning. I monitored every step of this repairs. How does this translate to Negligence pls?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 6:37am On Sep 28, 2014
chukel: Op, ur wahala started when ur tank was brought down. The charcoal cannister is close to the tank. Either some vacuum hose was misfitted or not fitted at all. I can help u with pdf copy of 2007 camry repair manual. But I don't kn how to send it. Alternatively, I can send u d fuel system part that has to do with ur present ish. Pm me. At least it will help u in knowing what was not fixed well or fixed at all

Hello chukel. I appreciate your efforts a lot. It is a strong possibility that the mechanics didn't get everything fitted back while replacing the fuel tank.

Please you can send the repair manual to bossmdee@gmail.com. I will PM you immediately. Please I will appreciate if you can help send the manual.

As it is now I still have those EVAP codes stored on the ECU. The P0301 code is long gone. But I think I should have to fix these Emission system problem as soon as I can. Now my challenge is most mechanics don't even understand these codes so I can't leave my car at their mercy. Chukel I will be waiting for your feedback.

Thanks.

PS: Siena never still talk on top this my matter oh. grin
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 6:41am On Sep 28, 2014
sultaan: If your car CEL is blinking and car stops it is not the charcoal canister or vacuum lines those only give you the recirc codes.

Start fixing the P0301 code first.

Since they changed your engine after the initial no oil drive, did they replace it with the right type that is controlled by that computer?

post a pic of the engine.

Those other codes were caused by the guys that worked on your gas tank, the sender on the fuel pump is not working right either they installed something fake, damaged it or its a used one that was hanging up.

The VSV and other things in the code list you gave are all associated with the same area near the gas tank. get under the car and look near the gas than at where the fuel lines and rubber recirc hoses meet there(charcoal canister black box) isa small sensor there connected to electrical connector it is suppose to open and close in operation.If those mechs didn't reconnect or kink the vacuum lines it will give you those readings .look at it and compare to other camry .

Those things can go bad with bad fuel and overfueling but it was not a problem until you dropped your tank.

Why is it in Nigeria you always replace the fuel pump before even thinking of the filter, 99% of the time the pump is still good just the filter is clogged.The easiest cheapest and scheduled item to be replace is the last thing they will touch fuel pump first then ecu lastly fuel filter( how can blowing air into filter clear things out?

Sir we have sorted the P0301 code and it was cleared.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 28, 2014
Bossmd: Good morning Nairaland,

I have come to recount my experience yesterday evening along 3rd Mainland bridge. Let me start properly by giving the full details of my car as required by the house; My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry. You all know I replaced the engine a while back after the first one 'knocked' as a result of oil drain.

Okay let me start this way, For like a month now my 'Check Engine Light' has been on but I have not got a place where I can scan it to know what the problem is. So since it's not affecting the driveability of the car I have been driving it like that since then.
So yesterday evening while I was driving on 3rd Mainland bridge, something strange happened! For the first time I noticed the Check Engine Light started blinking...... (this has never happened before). It will blink for some seconds, then stay on, and after a while it will start blinking again. Then sudden after like 5 minutes the car started jerking while on motion, like it won't accelerate well......Aaah.....I was just praying in my mind that let this car not come and stop here oh!! Because it was late. It will jerk like that for a while and then move again.......after some distance it will start jerking again. A striking thing I noticed was that when it is jerking, the Check Engine Light is also blinking at the same time.
So I just put a call through to my Mechanic. ....the mechanic said it could be due to things, he said it could be one of the plugs that is faulty OR the hose that is supplying fuel to the injector is blocked by dirts.

I am calling on all Experts here to please scrutinise my story and advise me accordingly please. I won't even drive the car for now until the problem is solved. But before I visit the mechanic please I need very honest advice from the house please.

What could be wrong with the car to cause this intermittent jerking? And what is the cause of the blinking check engine light?

House help please.

Thanks.

Bossmd:

These are reasons why I said you're negligent. New cars are more complex and more sensitive than older cars. Good thing is, most troubleshooting can be easily carried out with two items
1. An OBD ii scanner (5,000 will get you a bluetooth ELM scanner check konga.com)
2. An internet enabled smartphone.

I know you've really been bitten. Now is an avenue to learn the DIY thingy and I can tell you most of us in cartalk aren't in anyway auto engineers. Ikenna351 is a public administrator, I am a town planner but previous experiences and/or curiosity pushed us into the auto repair world.

I think Sultaan and cityNG said now is the best time to fold those sleeves of yours rub some greese and oil on you white shirts and get dirty learning how to handle wrenches and spanners. I agree with them.

Having reconsidered somefactors (being a melancholic person), I've come back to this thread to help in anyway I can.
Oya scan that car let's know what other faults are still stored.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 7:56am On Sep 28, 2014
lomomike:

These are reasons why I said you're negligent. New cars are more complex and more sensitive than older cars. Good thing is, most troubleshooting can be easily carried out with two items
1. An OBD ii scanner (5,000 will get you a bluetooth ELM scanner check konga.com)
2. An internet enabled smartphone.

I know you've really been bitten. Now is an avenue to learn the DIY thingy and I can tell you most of us in cartalk aren't in anyway auto engineers. Ikenna351 is a public administrator, I am a town planner but previous experiences and/or curiosity pushed us into the auto repair world.

I think Sultaan and cityNG said now is the best time to fold those sleeves of yours rub some greese and oil on you white shirts and get dirty learning how to handle wrenches and spanners. I agree with them.

Having reconsidered somefactors (being a melancholic person), I've come back to this thread to help in anyway I can.
Oya scan that car let's know what other faults are still stored.

I got my order for an ELM Scanner delivered by Konga last week. This is what I used to scan the vehicle. Please check the attached image for the displayed codes.

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 8:01am On Sep 28, 2014
I went under the car this morning and I saw the "Charcoal canister" directly close to the gas tank. But I must confess it is not an easy task reaching it. It is covered by the car's suspension. To even touch it sef no easy. It is so hidden under the car like that. To DIY this task go hard gan ooh!!
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by chukel(m): 9:33am On Sep 28, 2014
Op check ur mail. I have sent it. I am trying to see if I can send the one with all obd codes for camry 07 and how to go about solving them. U must really take ur time to read them else u will get lost and more confused. Discipline is d keyword
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 28, 2014
Bossmd: I went under the car this morning and I saw the "Charcoal canister" directly close to the gas tank. But I must confess it is not an easy task reaching it. It is covered by the car's suspension. To even touch it sef no easy. It is so hidden under the car like that. To DIY this task go hard gan ooh!!

To remove the charcoal canister, place the car to rest on huge platform.
1. (The chassis/undercarriage should rest on the platform) then disconnect the rear end exhaust pot from the rubber hangs.
After that, you can easily reach and disconnect the charcoal canister. But take note of the pipes and harnesses.

2. Rest the rear-ward chassis area on a big platform, and disconnect the rear axle, links, trail arms and stabilizers from the LHD side area. The pull off the charcoal canister.

TIP: when you remove the charcoal canister, to test if, get a 12V power source to the solenoid, if audible clicks are heard its still working if no audible clicks are heard, then the solenoid is bad.

To test charcoal canister, invert the canister and shake lightly, if charcoal pellets falls off, the canister is to be replaced.

Hope this help.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 28, 2014
Bossmd:

I got my order for an ELM Scanner delivered by Konga last week. This is what I used to scan the vehicle. Please check the attached image for the displayed codes.

P043e and P043F Toyota - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice ...

Service bulletin recommends replacing the EVAP Charcoal Canister Assembly to repair the problem.

http://engine-codes.com/p043e_toyota.html
http://engine-codes.com/p043f_toyota.html
http://engine-codes.com/p2402_toyota.html
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 28, 2014
The P2419 codes is caused by a malfunction of VSV valve in your case is having a low voltage.
The part at fault is shown below. The VSV valve is still on the EVAP charcoal canister.

Note: this image is only illustrative and might differ from actual part in your car.

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 11:02am On Sep 28, 2014
After all the cleaning I expected the op to inspect his charcoal canister. But since some1 came knocking saying charcoal canisters don't cause any damage to ones car. I kukuma sit down dey look.@ op mind you if your car has a purge control solenoid which I believe it has you must also check that too. To complete the job. Also finally if I were the one working on your car I would change the ckp to make the job perfectly done

1 Like

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 11:35am On Sep 28, 2014
lomomike: The P2419 codes is caused by a malfunction of VSV valve in your case is having a low voltage.
The part at fault is shown below. The VSV valve is still on the EVAP charcoal canister.

Note: this image is only illustrative and might differ from actual part in your car.

Thanks so much Lomomike, you are a great guy no doubt. But I will take my time to study all your advice....it is not that easy I must admit. All those steps are quite tasking and I may need some hands especially in the area of raising the car. I am pondering on the best approach right now.

Pls study the picture below....I took it from underneath the car this morning. Could that be the VSV?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? / NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X / Bugatti Divo Undergoes A Makeover, Unrevealed At Paris Auto Show - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.