Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (62484 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 12:55am On Sep 28, 2014
seangy4konji: i no come from rich parents bro...but i thank god for them...they doing well in maryland usa but me don swear to do am on my own sinc age 14 and i thank God...so it just rough proper as naija no smile...So make rich parents deh hail dem papa every morning...nothing like self made sha.
thats it bro , its every parent desire to leave something for their offspring to carry on with.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by aspirebig: 12:57am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: what are you saying ? did jonathan jump from otuoke straight to government house ? Obama was a lawyer then a senator and then white house .... bro, u get it now. whoever says you can get to the top of the ladder without taking the steps or climb by skipping a step has clearly decieved you. isnt that obvious?

I replied you . Simple. Your post did not add up to my reasoning. Have you not seen people that get jobs in abroad from Nigeria before? I have see many , ok. It is their yrs of experience and educational qualifications that made the difference. Not that, they went to bench the blacks there. I repeat, success in life is not by age or by who arrived somewhere first.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 12:58am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Dangotes daughter no dey reason like dat... Every man has his ego to nuture most would want to create there own fame with there fathers name. Not sit back in it like heirs and heiresses.
dey dere dey jones ...
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 12:58am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: this dude is doing way better than you obviously ... you are just an unecessarily arrogant individual .. I cant tell if you can go far.

I think I'm doing way better than an individual who can't spell unnecessarily correctly!

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:01am On Sep 28, 2014
aspirebig:

I replied you . Simple. Your post did not add up to my reasoning. Have you not seen people that get jobs in abroad from Nigeria before? I have see many , ok. It is their yrs of experience and educational qualifications that made the difference. Not that, they went to bench the blacks there. I repeat, success in life is not by age or by who arrived somewhere first.
Very much possible ... the skilled positions are there.you should be talking the position of an expat and not the regular jobs for masses of their country.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:03am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

I think I'm doing way better than an individual who can't spell unnecessarily correctly!
well , I dont proof read cause I type from my phone ... if you think you are doing better than I am. let me meet you .
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by aspirebig: 1:06am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: Very much possible ... the skilled positions are there.you should be talking the position of an expat and not the regular jobs for masses of their country.

This is an online forum, so what makes you think that it is only unskilled people that chat here. Be more open when chatting, ok.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 28, 2014
aspirebig:

This is an online forum, so what makes you think that it is only unskilled people that chat here. Be more open when chatting, ok.
you misunderstood my posts simple .... my point is a skilled individual wouldnt need to come debate here he is gonna get a chance abroad .... he obviously knows that .
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 1:10am On Sep 28, 2014
maternal:

That's broad. You know exactly where I'm going with this.

Ok! about 9 months, so maybe I should have said almost a year instead of less than a year. Anyway if where you're going with this is, to let you know if I still feel this same way in a couple of months. The truth is who knows? The US is just a flight away for me, my papers are intact, wifey is a citizen, daughter was born there. All I'm saying is this, if that happens, I pray not, at least I'll have done my own part in trying to help solve a problem even though I wasn't successful. On the other hand, if I'm successful (not just making money), it means I solve a problem and move Nigeria a little closer to being a better place. Apart from me achieving my goals, I would have provided employment for a bunch of families and made their life better. Even at this point, without being anywhere to close to what I want to achieve, I know how many families have benefited from us being able to employ them (crawling).

I was talking to a "politician" that said "we don't campaign to the elites because the elites don't vote" (and by elites she necessarily didn't mean rich people, she meant educated people). We cause a lot of our own problems, then complain.

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: well , I dont proof read cause I type from my phone ... if you think you are doing better than I am. let me meet you .

Only fools weigh each others success to determine who is more successful. My advice to u, would be trust no one and stay low

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:17am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Only fools weigh each others success to determine who is more successful. My advice to u, would be trust no one and stay low
oh , so you know that ... why ask that young man if he lives in lekki or at garki ... obviously you are a failing individual . I usually dont insult people on this forum but you are just out of it.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:21am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: oh , so you know that ... why ask that young man if he lives in lekki or at garki ... obviously you are a failing individual . I usually dont insult people on this forum but you are just out of it.

Pls express urself with metaphors that make sense. u are the only one dat knows what u mean by "a failing individual".
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 28, 2014
All dese ppl viewing comment nah
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:23am On Sep 28, 2014
mrmetoo1:

Ok! about 9 months, so maybe I should have said almost a year instead of less than a year. Anyway if where you're going with this is, to let you know if I still feel this same way in a couple of months. The truth is who knows? The US is just a flight away for me, my papers are intact, wifey is a citizen, daughter was born there. All I'm saying is this, if that happens, I pray not, at least I'll have done my own part in trying to help solve a problem even though I wasn't successful. On the other hand, if I'm successful (not just making money), it means I solve a problem and move Nigeria a little closer to being a better place. Apart from me achieving my goals, I would have provided employment for a bunch of families and made their life better. Even at this point, without being anywhere to close to what I want to achieve, I know how many families have benefited from us being able to employ them (crawling).

I was talking to a "politician" that said "we don't campaign to the elites because the elites don't vote" (and by elites she necessarily didn't mean rich people, she meant educated people). We cause a lot of our own problems, then complain.
keep on with your work . only you and you know why you doing it. keep following your heart, it knows what you want for yourself.yea , the environment might try to frustate your effort but it can't stop you. would drop a pm
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by lockupman(m): 1:28am On Sep 28, 2014
Bros abeg which country be that? Inbox me the name make I follow u appply sharply cheesy[color=#006600][/color]

Silkmoth33:

See Dis one. Which country u think say I dey apply for.
Competition only arises when demand is higher than supply.
These countries abroad have confirm jobs waiting for u as long as u come with d right papers.
In dese countries job employment no b wahala! Everybody gets fitted into his or her category.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by seangy4konji: 1:29am On Sep 28, 2014
aS I SAIDOnly me know where my kokose deh pain me..if you think a skilled person cant express how he feels and automatically think he will get a job any whereYou are wrong...very...

Make God grant my heart desires and will someday again dip my hand soon into the bottom of my travelling bag where i have my certs just to get another advanced one but would have created jobs and not to search for one.

God help us.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:30am On Sep 28, 2014
lockupman:
Bros abeg which country be that? Inbox me the name make I follow u appply sharply cheesycanada

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Originalsly: 1:35am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

U still dey think? sad
Lmao!
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 1:36am On Sep 28, 2014
seangy4konji: It does.....God will not let you face poverty...ISHE....you will see a solution to a problem that you know that the person can afford to loan you millions but you will only ask for change to eat...maybe its been a while you left nigeria but even your family will lie to you there is no mony to help so you tend to your selfso instead of the shame and rubbishyou might wanna leave them and go give a chance elsewhere....

May God help all the husstlers and nay help come soon so that all the talents being turned to low esteem and iq be mad to proper use by the country which our papas believed in but turned to a hell hole in front of them.

I will make it and may god multiply you and me in all endevours..Amen.

Amen!

But don't you think there's something wrong there? you have a good product yet instead of you to pitch your idea, you end up begging for money to eat. Believe it or not there are a lot of rich folks out there looking for how to make more money, all they're looking out for is a good idea/product. If you haven't found someone to invest yet it could be that your product still needs some improvement
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Originalsly: 1:39am On Sep 28, 2014
actYourDreams: Your passion appears good. Your patriotism appears colorful on Nairaland. However, perhaps it is common sense not to retain hope for a country where evil religious leaders connive with evil political leaders to kill dreams of innocent citizens. If one may ask, where are those that had hope last year? If you knew you had only 70 years to live why wait hopefully on a country that is only ready to roll backwards, at an amazing speed?
Read again....we are saying the same thing.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by seangy4konji: 1:40am On Sep 28, 2014
Best advertised out when not hungry and no rich man in Nigeria invest in a hungry man...go figure.

all dis your talk na because you don get some chance??Bros...Make i leave u at the bustop focus and deh drink my alomo deh go and continue raise money..Make u na deh do una padi padi gofament deh go..Wetin we go chop no go pass us by.

I perfectly understand you but when its sunny to some people,thats when its raining ice cold to some...when australia is waking,thats when nigeria is sleeping...

God willing,All this efforts wont go in vain...

Una no go help as u na like hear story and still no help..na so ur oga Jonathan deh do...She emploly people weh ur business deh boom.

Bless

mrmetoo1:

Amen!

But don't you think there's something wrong there? you have a good product yet instead of you to pitch your idea, you end up begging for money to eat. Believe it or not there are a lot of rich folks out there looking for how to make more money, all they're looking out for is a good idea/product. If you haven't found someone to invest yet it could be that your product still needs some improvement
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 1:45am On Sep 28, 2014
alaladakosta:

Bro, talk true make them help u. Drop your pride man. From your post all I can see is a desperate boy. Condemning what is better than yours
I don't think I do too well with the word 'boy'. Moreso, everyone needs help at some point in time; you assumed wrongly because I am not in any way desperate. I honestly see no reason why I should explain anything to you when it is obvious you did not read through the thread before posting.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 28, 2014
seangy4konji: Best advertised out when not hungry and no rich man in Nigeria invest in an hungry man...go figure.

wrong bro ... they do . I know of a man that thought he could invest in a graduate . he was an ssce holder but he got to a CSO position with a multinational.... this graduate messed up .... in a little while , this graduate got connected to longtime friends working with IOC's , he still messed up again. this time they had to settle in court. I forgot to mention this graduate had long been pursuing a uk visa that kept failing . I hear him talk of hsmp stuff like that ... is the problem nigeria or him now ?
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 1:55am On Sep 28, 2014
actYourDreams: No one asks how the OP got her or his so-called offer. Did she or he just get the offer from the blue moon? Or she or he actually applied? If it was the former case, then OP is contributing to the corruption in the land or OP is not just telling us the full story. If it was the latter case, then OP once had the thought of traveling and he or she would not just tell us why she or he declined the "offer".
You've been stressing this too much and I find it worrisome. Above all, I must confess that I applied with the hope that I would get to work somewhere in Africa. I have always dreamt of delving into the investigative side of journalism. My purpose for declining was not because someone 'connected me', rather I have never dreamt of settling down outside of Nigeria. I wouldn't know where I'd be placed in the society class, maybe somewhere within the lower or 'partial' middle class. Forget the connection because it is not there. This is the resolve of a young man who believes travelling far byond the shores of his country could damage his plans.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by seangy4konji: 2:01am On Sep 28, 2014
Everybody knows what he or she wants in life...If life could be just fair to me and i just use my certs to work for a year..I will retire myself just to feel the pleasure of telling my folks i would go to school and i did..it no concern me now...CSO,DSP,DSS,FBIwe sometimes dont know what we have till we loose em thats why creating jobs and husstling to to be a boss of my own will never make me regret...i am gtting my UK visa next year to enjoy my birthday and it wont fail..Na american visa i go need next...Abi u get job to offer
majekdom2: wrong bro ... they do . I know of a man that thought he could invest in a graduate . he was an ssce holder but he got to a CSO position with a multinational.... this graduate messed up .... in a little while , this graduate got connected to longtime friends working with IOC's , he still messed up again. this time they had to settle in court. I forgot to mention this graduate had long been pursuing a uk visa that kept failing . I hear him talk of hsmp stuff like that ... is the problem nigeria or him now ?

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by actYourDreams: 2:03am On Sep 28, 2014
You typed "Above all, I must confess that I applied with the hope that I would get to work somewhere in Africa". "Somewhere in Africa" may be somewhere outside Nigeria. So it seems right to say you had plans to live outside Nigeria. Right?
Sanchez01:
You've been stressing this too much and I find it worrisome. Above all, I must confess that I applied with the hope that I would get to work somewhere in Africa. I have always dreamt of delving into the investigative side of journalism. My purpose for declining was not because someone 'connected me', rather I have never dreamt of settling down outside of Nigeria. I wouldn't know where I'd be placed in the society class, maybe somewhere within the lower or 'partial' middle class. Forget the connection because it is not there. This is the resolve of a young man who believes travelling far byond the shores of his country could damage his plans.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 2:03am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
You've been stressing this too much and I find it worrisome. Above all, I must confess that I applied with the hope that I would get to work somewhere in Africa. I have always dreamt of delving into the investigative side of journalism. My purpose for declining was not because someone 'connected me', rather I have never dreamt of settling down outside of Nigeria. I wouldn't know where I'd be placed in the society class, somewhere within the lower or 'partial' middle class. Forget the connection because it is not there. This is the resolve of a young man who believes travelling far byond the shores of his country could damage his plans.
not too healthy ... there is much to learn in our diversities . leaving nigeria to work abroad isn't a bad idea ... you learn more from international experiences. I know your fear is being regarded as a minority but I bet not with a UN job.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
Truth is, you said my mind without mincing words. We claim Nigeria is bad, yet it birthed Seun and Linda, Japheth Omojuwa, Psquare, Tu-face, and even the so-called D'banj who was abroad did not 'make it' there until he came home. I have always concluded that Nigeria is a natural resources which does not require the regular mining to tap her wealth. Politicians keep looting, yet, it has not barred those who think outside of the boxing from succeeding.

And the us birthed the worlds largest number of billionaires. Do you think companies like google or ms would flourish in Nigeria?

Most of the people you are referncing have made some money, but are not true entrepreneurs - as they have not created industries. Most of your so called Nigerian elite on the end are just patrons of govt largesse. Every other day we read about coscharis import waivers.

When you get older, especially of you have friends outside this country, you will realise we are just existing. I am posting in the dark as there has been no light all day.

Before a litre of fuel was 65 now it is 97 and all that happened was an increase in cost of living. I have not seen,running water since the 1980s.
The cost of a car is about to,go through the roof. I cannot be a Nigerian and have hope that things will get better.

You should be seriously bothered that most of the people you came up with are entertainers.

A country where you point to entertainers as business role models is a backward country.

10 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by scorpa: 2:06am On Sep 28, 2014
@OP
I plan to leave this country for just one reason!....I waste six hours that could be used for more productive stuff in traffic on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 2:10am On Sep 28, 2014
soledadd: Buy op you have to travel because you are still myopic. When you travel you gain a lot of experience and understand better. Nothing seems too big to you again because you have seen it all. I only miss my family and friends nothing more.
I agree. You sure gain a lot of experience. But does that also apply to people with no skill, talents or educational background. I asked this because that is the most important thing my thread centres on.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by maternal: 2:11am On Sep 28, 2014
mrmetoo1:

I'm on your side. I also have some businesses there which has employed others. My issue is we (I did anyway) got the capital by coming abroad. And if it doesn't work out like you said, I'm a flight away from North America as well. The average Nigerian does not have such a luxury. My point is would your moral be the same if the US wasn't a flight away ? Would you be so pro fix naija ?

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 2:19am On Sep 28, 2014
aspirebig: @op,
OYO is your name ooo, i do not buy your idea.By the special grace of God, I am am still in naija doing my bit to make naija a better place.But, you know, do not think because you are blessed in naija that is the end of the world. What is the per capital income of an average Nigerian.

If you decided to stay probably because one person somewhere has promised you an appointment or an elective post, then wait and have your share of the national cake.It is true that you can make it in Nigeria, but also know that many people dreams have died by staying put in Nigeria too. I see traving abroad just like people migrate from the village to cities, it is NOT everyone that make it but at least 75% of those that migrate do make it, and the last time I checked 75% is still an "A".

I have lived in 3 biggest cities in Nigeria, namely, Abj, Lag and PH, with Abj being the most expensive, followed by PH. Ordinary electricity is still a luxury, except you have a gen, inverter or solar,no good roads, no good medical at the reach of an ordinary citizen, no good schools at an affordable rate, life expectancy is among the worst and poorest in the world, no good security, crime rate is high, no street camerals, injustice can be seen everywhere, we are still battling with acute corruption, our leaders are just playing on the people's intelligent. All we have is syncophants everywhere. I do not see this present generation of Nigerians going to enjoy steady power supply in life.No b curse ooo, we are not doing anything in that direction.

There is no plan to provide basic social amenities, infrastructure or something for the young ones look forward to , in Naija. . If you have the opportunity to travel, do so but in the right way, not by selling your family only land when your parents have 7 kids and are still living in a rented accommodation.

Many university graduates are still earning N30k till date, I have seen a 2.1 holder earning less than N50k a month, so if such dude has the opportunity to travel to abroad, and off he goes, will you blame him? NO....When you are admitted into the uni, you only know your admission year but you cannot be so sure of your graduation date, with the strikes we see in our schools.

Our best brains are leaving the country daily, it is no news.Go to the international airports and see for yourself. Many people that cannot dream of owing a brand new car in life, not a Tokunbo ooh, do achieve this in abroad under 3 to 5yrs. In naija, the opportunities are very Limited. Take it or leave it.

However, I do not support those leaving the country without a good education or learned skills-as it is not everyone that has the opportunity to going to the uni or poly. Also, I do not support those going through the desert by trekking,travelling with the ship or hiding in a ship without the right documents. For how long, are you going to be in hiding?
In as much as travelling abroad is good, do not risk your life to the point of death in order to be in abroad.
I hate politicians, both small and great. So as it stands, politics is a NO for me. No one has promised me a thing and I am not looking forward to that. I appreciate your points though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (37) (Reply)

How Do I Apply For Philippines Visa / Can This Happen At Nigerian Embassies? / 32-yr-old Man Who Pretends To Be 81 Nabbed While Trying To Get Into US (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.