Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,486 members, 7,770,188 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:58 AM

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. (19567 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Teaching Our Children Family Values..... / What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 8:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hello lovely Nairalanders.
I'm gradually resuming back to NL after my unofficial vacation.
I want us to learn from one another as regards what affects every family, which is...............training of our children, whether biological, adopted or live-ins(i mean relative kids who are living with us temporarily, for one reason or the other), therefore, i will be coming up mostly on threads that have to do with child/ren upbringing and today, we want to start with "teaching our children to always be appreciative, no matter how small or little the favour shown by whoever, be it parents, relatives, friends, visitors, employees/employers, or even strangers.

First, what is gratitude?
Gratitude is the appreciation for a favour given or shown to someone. It is the act of thankfulness. It is being grateful for favour or kindness.

How can we show gratitude?

Personally, the best way to show appreciation is by saying it out............by saying thank you each and everytime a kind of favour is given or shown to someone, without saying it out, the person doing the favour may think his/her favour/kindness is not appreciated, so, the best way to let the person know that you appreciate is by telling the person that you appreciate his good gesture towards you.
Another way is by leading as example, what you don't have, you can't give, if you're the type that's always grateful, they will always copy you. For example, when any of my kids do something nice, i thank them. It means you're indirectly training them to be likewise.
Why showing appreciation?
A yoruba adage says "eni to ba dupe ore ana, a ri emii gba" i.e if you say thank you for a kindness, it is an avenue for you to get another one". However, personally, the reason for being appreciative is not basically to get another one but to show that YOU ARE WELL AND PROPERLY BROUGTH UP. I use to say this, there is no bad elder, it is a bad child that grows to become bad adult, if one does not know how to say thank you for a good deed, then such should not complain when wickedness is shown to him. If somene can go out of his way to assist in one way or the other and the mouth seems to be too heavy to utter just "thank you, such a person should not use the same heavy mouth to complain when a prospective helper refuses to help. This is in support of yoruba adage that says......."eni ti a ba se oore fun, ti ko ba dupe, ti a ba se ika fun, ko ma binu".

When do you start teaching your kids the sense of gratitude?

As early as possible, teaching our kids to be appreciative should start from when they are toddlers, so that they will get used to it. Infact, all my children's first words are...."tan tu" (thank you). They are so used to it now that it makes people , almost everyone that come across them to fall in love with them instantly. They are taught to say "thank you Lord" first thing in the morning, and that also is already part of them that no one can take away from them. Saying thank you by kids make people to conclude that, such kid is well-mannered, even though as kids, they have their flaws, but the sense of gratitude they possess has so much covered their other areas of weakness to the people outside.

How do you instill sense of gratitude into your kids?
Very simple; instist that they say thank you for whatever you do for them at home, even though, it is our duty to take care of our kids, but it's also their right to appreciate it.

Let us learn from one another, if there is any other point to add or modify, please, let's do and learn from one another.
May God help us all parents.

91 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by glimpse(f): 8:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
bookmarked. when I have my kids I'd teach them.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 23, 2014
..hmmm....@OP...Tanks for sharing this useful and valuable information....

I am richly blessed to be Miss Grace....I'm blessed to be raised by my loving and sweet parents....

SOme of this values our parent imparted in us are fading....Children of nowadays are growing faster....They dont want to even hear about culture and values talkless of doing it....

I think parents should do and try all their possible best to impart this into their children....Like one yoruba proverb that says 'Ati kekere latin paka iroko'....It means foundation matters alot....We should not wait till when our children becomes dried fish before we try to bend them to do our wish...

4 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
glimpse: bookmarked. when I have my kids I'd teach them.

may God help you and all of us. Amen

3 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by glimpse(f): 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2014
greatgod2012:

may God help you and all of us. Amen

amen. I am not married yet, but I have been praying for my unborn kids. I would add this to the prayer.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 9:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
temigracie: ..hmmm....@OP...Tanks for sharing this useful and valuable information....

I am richly blessed to be Miss Grace....I'm blessed to be raised by my loving and sweet parents....

SOme of this values our parent imparted in us are fading....Children of nowadays are growing faster....They dont want to even hear about culture and values talkless of doing it....

I think parents should do and try all their possible best to impart this into their children....Like one yoruba proverb that says 'Ati kekere latin paka iroko'....It means foundation matters alot....We should not wait till when our children becomes dried fish before we try to bend them to do our wish...

my dear, just last week, i was at my SIL place, his son just gained admission into higher institution, his dad gave him his school fees, he just collected it, without saying anything, it was as if i wanted to explode, but i tried to control myself. As if that was not enough, she(SIL) asked me to accompany her to go do shopping for his son, so along the way, i discussed the attitude of ungratefulness i observed with her son and can you guess what she said? She said in yoruba and i quote.........haaaa, awon omo aye isinyi ko leko, meaning children of nowadays lack good manners, i said no ma, point of correction, you're the one that never taught him to be well mannered, if you have instilled the sense of gratitude in him, he would have been used to it. So after we came back from shopping, the mother bought him 5 trousers, 5 shirts, underwears, shoes, sandals, slippers and varieties of provisions. To my utter amazement, he just collected those stuffs without saying anything, i had to call him back and asked him why he didn't appreciate all they did for him, surprisingly, he said.......it's their duty now, why will i thank them for performing their duties. I then asked that what if they refuse to perform their duties, will you kill them, so, i tried to educate him on the importance of being appreciative. Atleast, for that day, he went to them and thank them after my "sermons on the mountain".
What am i saying? It is the way we train these children that they will carry to adulthood.
Once again, may God help us all parents.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by edwife(f): 9:13pm On Sep 23, 2014
Great post greatgod2012 always a pleasure reading your post.

May God grant us the grace to train our children according to his will.

3 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 23, 2014
greatgod2012:

my dear, just last week, i was at my SIL place, his son just gained admission into higher institution, his dad gave him his school fees, he just collected it, without saying anything, it was as if i wanted to explode, but i tried to control myself. As if that was not enough, she(SIL) asked me to accompany her to go do shopping for his son, so along the way, i discussed the attitude of ungratefulness i observed with her son and can you guess what she said? She said in yoruba and i quote.........haaaa, awon omo aye isinyi ko leko, meaning children of nowadays lack good manners, i said no ma, point of correction, you're the one that never taught him to be well mannered, if you have instilled the sense of gratitude in him, he would have been used to it. So after we came back from shopping, the mother bought him 5 trousers, 5 shirts, underwears, shoes, sandals, slippers and varieties of provisions. To my utter amazement, he just collected those stuffs without saying anything, i had to call him back and asked him why he didn't appreciate all they did for him, surprisingly, he said.......it's their duty now, why will i thank them for performing their duties. I then asked that what if they refuse to perform their duties, will you kill them, so, i tried to educate him on the importance of being appreciative. Atleast, for that day, he went to them and thank them after my "sermons on the mountain".
What am i saying? It is the way we train these children that they will carry to adulthood.
Once again, may God help us all parents.

...Yeah, thats truth....It depends majorly on the upbringing...It doesnt mean our parents are harsh or wicked...

I once disliked my parent back then...They ll never keep quiet whener it comes to my issue..Now, i fully understand what they wanted for me...

May God help us...I think our job or work is increasing now...since our children are growing faster....and are getting exposed easily...

3 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kreamidiva(f): 9:38pm On Sep 23, 2014
It's very important. I teach my kids from their tender age to say thank u. It's important to me. Basically because its a sign of disrespect and shows the person has no home training.

I teach my 1yr and 8 months son. I ask him "what do you say when you finish eating?" And he replies promptly "thantiu". Some times, even before i ask him if he has said thank u, he has said it.

Ingratitude is not my nature therefore anyone around me must learn to be grateful.

7 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
It all begin with Thank you Daddy, Thank you mummy and thank you dearie baby !!

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by egopersonified(f): 10:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
Thank you op, my last born is 2 and one of his first words was 'ta-tu'. Whenever you give him anything, even ordinary water to drink, he goes 'ta-tu'. It melted my heart so much that I would always look for opportunties to give him something. And there's this nanny in his daycare that when you give her just N1,000, she will thank you, when she gets home, she will call you to thank you again and for the next three days its thank you galore and I keep feeling embarassed, I always feel the thank you is more than the gift so I am always giving even when I dont have enough for myself. I also learnt on nl to say thank you, with a smile, to my husband after eating, you need to see the way his eyes light up sometimes with satisfaction.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 6:16am On Sep 24, 2014
edwife: Great post greatgod2012 always a pleasure reading your post.

May God grant us the grace to train our children according to his will.

thanks for the compliment and amen to your prayers.

You see, my sister, these kids are our future, what we pass to them is what they'll pass to their children and to their children, and the circle continues. That is why i do not feel comfortable when proper and meaningful legacies are not passed to them in form of upbringing.
It is well.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 6:19am On Sep 24, 2014
kreamidiva: It's very important. I teach my kids from their tender age to say thank u. It's important to me. Basically because its a sign of disrespect and shows the person has no home training.

I teach my 1yr and 8 months son. I ask him "what do you say when you finish eating?" And he replies promptly "thantiu". Some times, even before i ask him if he has said thank u, he has said it.

Ingratitude is not my nature therefore anyone around me must learn to be grateful.

Thank you for this.
Leading by example is the best way to train a child. It all begins with us, the parents. May God give us wisdom to do things rightly.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 6:22am On Sep 24, 2014
egopersonified: Thank you op, my last born is 2 and one of his first words was 'ta-tu'. Whenever you give him anything, even ordinary water to drink, he goes 'ta-tu'. It melted my heart so much that I would always look for opportunties to give him something. And there's this nanny in his daycare that when you give her just N1,000, she will thank you, when she gets home, she will call you to thank you again and for the next three days its thank you galore and I keep feeling embarassed, I always feel the thank you is more than the gift so I am always giving even when I dont have enough for myself. I also learnt on nl to say thank you, with a smile, to my husband after eating, you need to see the way his eyes light up sometimes with satisfaction.

Oh! God bless you! You just nailed it. Saying thank you makes the heart of the giver to melt, and will always want to do more, even when it seems uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Atawewe27: 6:38am On Sep 24, 2014
Thanks .
This is an educative thread.
It deserves Fp, let those kids of NL learn how to be grateful.

Cc
obinoscopy
mynd44
seun
mukina2

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 7:26am On Sep 24, 2014
Atawewe27: Thanks .

Cc
obinoscopy
mynd44
seun
mukina2

lol, thanks.

Frontpage lawyer indeed grin
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kreamidiva(f): 7:35am On Sep 24, 2014

Cc
obinoscopy
mynd44
seun
mukina2

grin grin :DI didn't know there were kids on NL
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by egopersonified(f): 11:01am On Sep 24, 2014
greatgod2012:

Oh! God bless you! You just nailed it. Saying thank you makes the heart of the giver to melt, and will always want to do more, even when it seems uncomfortable.

Exactly.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 24, 2014
egopersonified:

Exactly.

Did you enjoy it last night? You were wet throughout hmmm.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Godmystrength: 2:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
letsdothis:

what is wrong with you?

3 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by lizfab(f): 3:02pm On Sep 24, 2014
My four years old son picked up a habit. When you give him something, he'll say its 'small kenkene'. He went to spend the holidays at my aunt's and I think he learnt it there. When he says it, I just take back whatever it is I have given him. He's beginning to get out of it but still says it sometimes unconsciously but quickly says 'I'm sorry, thank you' when I give him 'the look'.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by egopersonified(f): 7:34pm On Sep 24, 2014
Kids pick behaviours and attitudes easily, there are places I restrict mine from or they spend less time. Sometimes the damage takes months to correct.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 2:22am On Sep 25, 2014

Cc
obinoscopy
mynd44
seun
mukina2

kreamidiva:
grin grin :DI didn't know there were kids on NL

This is one of them^^

letsdothis:
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 2:29am On Sep 25, 2014
lizfab: My four years old son picked up a habit. When you give him something, he'll say its 'small kenkene'. He went to spend the holidays at my aunt's and I think he learnt it there. When he says it, I just take back whatever it is I have given him. He's beginning to get out of it but still says it sometimes unconsciously but quickly says 'I'm sorry, thank you' when I give him 'the look'.

Thank God he's getting out of the annoying habit, and for good way you're handling it, you refuse to say thank you, i take back my goodies......it makes them get used to it. And if i may add, for now, he should be restricted from visiting such places, except you're going to be there with him. Maybe there are some other children there he was copying. We all need to train our kids to be well-mannered.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 2:34am On Sep 25, 2014
Simple and beautiful attitude of saying "thank you", "please" and "i'm sorry" should be inculcated into our kids' mindset from the craddle age, so that it becomes part of them.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 5:22am On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012: Simple and beautiful attitude of saying "thank you", "please" and "i'm sorry" should be inculcated into our kids' mindset from the craddle age, so that it becomes part of them.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kreamidiva(f): 6:53am On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012: Simple and beautiful attitude of saying "thank you", "please" and "i'm sorry" should be inculcated into our kids' mindset from the craddle age, so that it becomes part of them.

My daughter was taught one song in nursery 1:

There are five magic words
There are five ,magic words
There are five magic words that i know...
"Please", "excuse me", "sorry", "thank you"
And the last one... "pardon me".

If she grows up with that song in mind,she would surely be good mannered.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 25, 2014
Op,nice thread you got there.

Appreciation even make people do more,mum taught me to show appreciation to God,and people no matter how small things they did for me.

Every meal,I must tell my fiancee "thank you". She likes it a lot.

4 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 8:28am On Sep 25, 2014
kreamidiva:

My daughter was taught one song in nursery 1:

There are five magic words
There are five ,magic words
There are five magic words that i know...
"Please", "excuse me", "sorry", "thank you"
And the last one... "pardon me".

If she grows up with that song in mind,she would surely be good mannered.

what a coincidence!
That's what my baby on my profile pics is singing presently.

And before they even get admitted in school, they already get used to it, because we have the disc at home, collection of poems.
Thanks.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 8:34am On Sep 25, 2014
Yomieluv: Op,nice thread you got there.

Appreciation even make people do more,mum taught me to show appreciation to God,and people no matter how small things they did for me.

Every meal,I must tell my fiancee "thank you". She likes it a lot.

there is indeed no one you say thank you to that will not be happy and willing to do more.
Proved!

Last month, i was going to the salon with my daughter, and one woman admired her, gave her biscuit, we thanked her and left, the second day, my daughter wilingly requested to go and thank the woman for the biscuit given her the previous day, i allowed her, believe me, she came back with another gift, even more valuable than the former.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by TeamclicksAir: 9:03am On Sep 25, 2014
smiley smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Run Away From Home / How Do You Lift Your Spirits When You Are Down? / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.