Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,267 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. (19637 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Teaching Our Children Family Values..... / What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 25, 2014
Unluvable:

I thank my parents after my meals except they are not around,that's how I've known it to be all my life. I picked it up from my parents, so it just comes naturally.

You picked it up from your parents? How
Where you there when they were growing up? Or perhaps you meant to say, your folks thought you?

And I hope you tell them the thank you upon their arrival from work for every food and water you drank when they were at work??

You know, "whatever worth doing at all is worth doing well"
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
Apitch:
I swore never to raise my kids in PHC! Even with ur good training, they pick up silly attitudes from school.
Apologies to anyone offended but I'm talkig from experience
Thumbs up joor! I am on your team.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Unluvable(f): 2:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Joavid:

You picked it up from your parents? How
Where you there when they were growing up? Or perhaps you meant to say, your folks thought you?

And I hope you tell them the thank you upon their arrival from work for every food and water you drank when they were at work??

You know, "whatever worth doing at all is worth doing well"

lol...there's no point being sarcastic smiley

picked from them....learnt from their actions.

I'm independent now and working in a different city, but it doesn't change the habit when I go visiting them or any other person, it's just showing appreciation and courtesy.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by mrramadan(m): 2:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012: Hello lovely Nairalanders.
I'm gradually resuming back to NL after my unofficial vacation.
I want us to learn from one another as regards what affects every family, which is...............training of our children, whether biological, adopted or live-ins(i mean relative kids who are living with us temporarily, for one reason or the other), therefore, i will be coming up mostly on threads that have to do with child/ren upbringing and today, we want to start with "teaching our children to always be appreciative, no matter how small or little the favour shown by whoever, be it parents, relatives, friends, visitors, employees/employers, or even strangers.

First, what is gratitude?
Gratitude is the appreciation for a favour given or shown to someone. It is the act of thankfulness. It is being grateful for favour or kindness.

How can we show gratitude?

Personally, the best way to show appreciation is by saying it out............by saying thank you each and everytime a kind of favour is given or shown to someone, without saying it out, the person doing the favour may think his/her favour/kindness is not appreciated, so, the best way to let the person know that you appreciate is by telling the person that you appreciate his good gesture towards you.
Another way is by leading as example, what you don't have, you can't give, if you're the type that's always grateful, they will always copy you. For example, when any of my kids do something nice, i thank them. It means you're indirectly training them to be likewise.
Why showing appreciation?
A yoruba adage says "eni to ba dupe ore ana, a ri emii gba" i.e if you say thank you for a kindness, it is an avenue for you to get another one". However, personally, the reason for being appreciative is not basically to get another one but to show that YOU ARE WELL AND PROPERLY BROUGTH UP. I use to say this, there is no bad elder, it is a bad child that grows to become bad adult, if one does not know how to say thank you for a good deed, then such should not complain when wickedness is shown to him. If somene can go out of his way to assist in one way or the other and the mouth seems to be too heavy to utter just "thank you, such a person should not use the same heavy mouth to complain when a prospective helper refuses to help. This is in support of yoruba adage that says......."eni ti a ba se oore fun, ti ko ba dupe, ti a ba se ika fun, ko ma binu".

When do you start teaching your kids the sense of gratitude?

As early as possible, teaching our kids to be appreciative should start from when they are toddlers, so that they will get used to it. Infact, all my children's first words are...."tan tu" (thank you). They are so used to it now that it makes people , almost everyone that come across them to fall in love with them instantly. They are taught to say "thank you Lord" first thing in the morning, and that also is already part of them that no one can take away from them. Saying thank you by kids make people to conclude that, such kid is well-mannered, even though as kids, they have their flaws, but the sense of gratitude they possess has so much covered their other areas of weakness to the people outside.

How do you instill sense of gratitude into your kids?
Very simple; instist that they say thank you for whatever you do for them at home, even though, it is our duty to take care of our kids, but it's also their right to appreciate it.

Let us learn from one another, if there is any other point to add or modify, please, let's do and learn from one another.
May God help us all parents.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This is one topic that really touches my heart. How I wish this message could be passed to some other parts of the world like India, Pakistan, Morocco, Egypt, mostly the Arab world. These people lack respect. The words “Thank you”, “Please” and “Sorry” don’t exist in their world. For those who have been to that part of the world, you would understand what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by MightyFortress: 2:38pm On Sep 25, 2014
Beautiful.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by gmcb: 2:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
God bless u real good for this post.
Got a toddler whose nice gestures have always been met with thank you from me. was not surprised when it came out as one of her first few words.
Meanwhile I meet others of her age who the only traits they exhibit are those of a child showing signs of wanting to be a bully and the parents give them a pat on the back as being sharp and smart kids. I inwardly shake my head for them.
God helping me, I intend training my kids by example cos it makes me a better adult myself. We unconsciously drop our bad habits as we consciously inculcate the right ones in them by the examples we show. Don't be a double faced adult to that kid!!!
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by IME1: 3:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
I am grateful i could log into NL after almost a year, Seun why?
I am grateful for all i learn daily on NL and viewing the minds of Nigerians from different parts of Nigeria and beyond.
I am grateful for life, the use of the internet and the privilege to reach out and inspire, motivate and encourage!
Thank You Jesus Christ, I am all grateful to You my Saviour.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by HopeAlive14(m): 3:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
Great post greatgod2012.
A man who can't thank men can't thank God!
Appreciation is a sign of humility, the opposite of pride which God and men frowns at.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by egopersonified(f): 4:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
browncool:
Absolutely true, you sound pretty much like my wife because I am just in same situation and also have a two years old daughter

Thanks, I would take that as a compliment.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by sucezTP(f): 5:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
glimpse: bookmarked. when I have my kids I'd teach them.

Me too!
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by dexterush(f): 6:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
Very informative piece
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Lightening: 6:46pm On Sep 25, 2014
shehuakafi: German Muslim scholar replies on
TERRORISM ... I liked the
answer of this German Muslim scholar
when he was asked
about terrorism and Islam : He said : Who
started the first
world war? not Muslims ? Who started the
second world war ?
not Muslims ? Who killed about 20 millions
of Aborigines in
Australia ? not Muslims ?? Who sent the
nuclear bombs of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki ? not Muslims ??
killed more than
100 millions of Indians in North America ?
not Muslims ??
Who killed more than 50 millions of Indians
in south
America ? not Muslims ?? Who took about
180 millions of
African people as slaves and 88% of them
died and were
thrown in Atlantic ocean ? not Muslims ??
No , NOT Muslims!!!
First of all, You have to define terrorism
properly... If a non-
Muslim does something bad..it is crime.
But if a Muslim
commits the same..he is a terrorist... So
first remove this
double standard...then come to the
point!!! , . . . . . I am proud
to be a MUSLIM !!! ARE YOU

Pls try and grow out of religious fanaticism. Don't you have any other thing that interests you? Such a bore.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by suremossty(m): 11:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
abeg make I sleep joo
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by emmabest2000(m): 2:02am On Sep 26, 2014
I want us to learn from one another as regards what affects every family, which is...............training of our children, whether biological, adopted or live-ins(i mean relative kids who are living with us temporarily, for one reason or the other), therefore, i will be coming up mostly on threads that have to do with child/ren upbringing and today, we want to start with "teaching our children to always be appreciative, no matter how small or little the favour shown by whoever, be it parents, relatives, friends, visitors, employees/employers, or even strangers.

Gratitude is the appreciation for a favour given or shown to someone. It is the act of thankfulness. It is being grateful for favour or kindness.

Personally, the best way to show appreciation is by saying it out............by saying thank you each and everytime a kind of favour is given or shown to someone, without saying it out, the person doing the favour may think his/her favour/kindness is not appreciated, so, the best way to let the person know that you appreciate is by telling the person that you appreciate his good gesture towards you.
Another way is by leading as example, what you don't have, you can't give, if you're the type that's always grateful, they will always copy you. For example, when any of my kids do something nice, i thank them. It means you're indirectly training them to be likewise.
A yoruba adage says "eni to ba dupe ore ana, a ri emii gba" i.e if you say thank you for a kindness, it is an avenue for you to get another one". However, personally, the reason for being appreciative is not basically to get another one but to show that YOU ARE WELL AND PROPERLY BROUGTH UP. I use to say this, there is no bad elder, it is a bad child that grows to become bad adult, if one does not know how to say thank you for a good deed, then such should not complain when wickedness is shown to him. If somene can go out of his way to assist in one way or the other and the mouth seems to be too heavy to utter just "thank you, such a person should not use the same heavy mouth to complain when a prospective helper refuses to help. This is in support of yoruba adage that says......."eni ti a ba se oore fun, ti ko ba dupe, ti a ba se ika fun, ko ma binu".

As early as possible, teaching our kids to be appreciative should start from when they are toddlers, so that they will get used to it. Infact, all my children's first words are...."tan tu" (thank you). They are so used to it now that it makes people , almost everyone that come across them to fall in love with them instantly. They are taught to say "thank you Lord" first thing in the morning, and that also is already part of them that no one can take away from them. Saying thank you by kids make people to conclude that, such kid is well-mannered, even though as kids, they have their flaws, but the sense of gratitude they possess has so much covered their other areas of weakness to the people outside.

Very simple; instist that they say thank you for whatever you do for them at home, even though, it is our duty to take care of our kids, but it's also their right to appreciate it.

Let us learn from one another, if there is any other point to add or modify, please, let's do and learn from one another.
Interesting ! Interesting !! Interesting !!!
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by nomabeeee(f): 3:11am On Sep 26, 2014
greatgod2012:

Thank you for this.
Leading by example is the best way to train a child. It all begins with us, the parents. May God give us wisdom to do things rightly.
u can say that again it begins wt us d parents..I alrdy told myself..dt I was not going to teach my kids a lazy way of talking yes I call it lazy..its beautiful wn u ask a child..lizzy hw r u and she replies.am fine,thank u.when she does something wrong..she says mum am truly sory..dts teaching her to take responsibilities for her actions..wn she wants to say or have sometin she says..pls mum can I hv...it makes d child look classy..umm and lizzy that is my future baby's name..lol
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by yousee(m): 5:20am On Sep 26, 2014
greatgod2012:

Oh! God bless you! You just nailed it. Saying thank you makes the heart of the giver to melt, and will always want to do more, even when it seems uncomfortable.

When you show appreciation to anyone, you are directly opening up more avenues for more favor.
Saying "thank you" and meaning it is the greatest key to open doors. Even our God enjoys our thanksgiving.

Every child around me MUST learn to show appreciation for even the smallest favor...I can't be with them forever, how then will they survive the world without favor from God and Man?
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by omotolatoyosi(f): 6:13am On Sep 26, 2014
I wonder how parents that dosnt av sense of gratitude are goin to impact it in their children sad[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Shokoloko(f): 7:04am On Sep 26, 2014
There's nothing like a thankful heart.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
@ Op: interesting read. I want to also include that another way you inculcate showing gratitude in your kids is through leading by example- when your kids accomplish certain tasks assigned to them by you or help you fetch something,it takes nothing out of you as the parent to show gratitute or say thank you. Children easilly pick their parent's character without them knowing.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by cococandy(f): 10:44pm On Sep 26, 2014
Sweet post smiley
egopersonified: Thank you op, my last born is 2 and one of his first words was 'ta-tu'. Whenever you give him anything, even ordinary water to drink, he goes 'ta-tu'. It melted my heart so much that I would always look for opportunties to give him something. And there's this nanny in his daycare that when you give her just N1,000, she will thank you, when she gets home, she will call you to thank you again and for the next three days its thank you galore and I keep feeling embarassed, I always feel the thank you is more than the gift so I am always giving even when I dont have enough for myself. I also learnt on nl to say thank you, with a smile, to my husband after eating, you need to see the way his eyes light up sometimes with satisfaction.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by bukatyne(f): 11:41pm On Sep 26, 2014

greatgod2012,

This is a very beautiful and practical thread as always

I liken ungratefulness to lack of home training really. Some people find it so difficult saying 'please', 'thank you', 'sorry' and other normal greeting.

Thank you once again for opening that birthday thread for nashville and myself last year cheesy

Hope you are gearing to open another one this year (LOL!)

The talk 'children of nowadays' when made by parents disgust me. Same with telling him/her 'you lack home training' seriously? they failed in bringing up their kids and they can still say it grin

May God continue to crown our efforts on our kids
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Sanguine(f): 3:54am On Sep 27, 2014
Waoh! Great Thread here.
Personally, I think that phrase ''Thank you'' is one of the greatest phrases in any language or dialect. I'm so used to saying ''thank you'' that I say it even when I'm doing or I do someone a favour.
There's really so much work for parents to do especially in this 'dotcom' age. Some important virtues that should be instilled right from the cradle because that is the foundation... And one of them is the act of gratitude. No matter how small or minut the favor, say ''thank you''. Even when you do someone a favor say ''thank you''. There's no harm whatsoever in that.
I'm not married yet. But then, one of the first words my children would learn to say would be ''Thank You''.

Thank you OP, for bringin up this topic.
Now who says there ain no love in sharing... Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.
And above all, Thank God for a platform such as this.
God bless us all.
CHEERS!
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by greatgod2012(f): 6:09am On Oct 07, 2014
bukatyne:

greatgod2012,

This is a very beautiful and practical thread as always

I liken ungratefulness to lack of home training really. Some people find it so difficult saying 'please', 'thank you', 'sorry' and other normal greeting.

Thank you once again for opening that birthday thread for nashville and myself last year cheesy

Hope you are gearing to open another one this year (LOL!)

The talk 'children of nowadays' when made by parents disgust me. Same with telling him/her 'you lack home training' seriously? they failed in bringing up their kids and they can still say it grin

May God continue to crown our efforts on our kids

Lol...
Happy birthday in advance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson / Nigerian Ghost Stories (pressing Someones Neck At Night) / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.