Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. (19636 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Teaching Our Children Family Values..... / What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by jennylove7575(f): 10:29am On Sep 25, 2014
As a child, When I was living with my aunty and her kids she use to teach us how to be appreciative and show gratitude...but she is one big ungrateful woman. Aunty dupsy if u are reading this, its me Jennifer that is telling the world ur story..she was teaching us to show gratitude yet whenever anyone gifted her something, she would bad mouth it and criticise the quality of the gift behind their back and pretend to like it in their presence..my aunty is two faced. Parents or guardians should please always practice what they preach. They should lead and live by examples.. Children doesn't learn fast from what they are told but from what they see. One of my aunty daughter followed her
mums footsteps she is a replica of her mum that's why she has a very unsteady relationships with people..ingrates!

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by emirp: 10:45am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice one there.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by miqos02(m): 11:04am On Sep 25, 2014
learning
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:10am On Sep 25, 2014
Most Educative thread of the WEEK.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Amhappy(f): 11:11am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice post
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by lirusehn(m): 11:12am On Sep 25, 2014
[quote author=egopersonified][/quote]

ya single also? undecided

tongue
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by egopersonified(f): 11:17am On Sep 25, 2014
lirusehn:

ya single also? undecided

tongue

No, thanks. LMAO.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kennosklint(m): 11:20am On Sep 25, 2014
Dat one nor b ur bizness op...
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by jahlove4jah: 11:23am On Sep 25, 2014
I agree with those said parents need to train their Children to be appreciative. Truthfully in the Mosaic law given to the Israelites,parents were told to inculcate God's law in their heart first if they are to do so in the heart of their Children. Deuteronomy 6 vs 6-7
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by femi4: 11:24am On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012:

my dear, just last week, i was at my SIL place, his son just gained admission into higher institution, his dad gave him his school fees, he just collected it, without saying anything, it was as if i wanted to explode, but i tried to control myself. As if that was not enough, she(SIL) asked me to accompany her to go do shopping for his son, so along the way, i discussed the attitude of ungratefulness i observed with her son and can you guess what she said? She said in yoruba and i quote.........haaaa, awon omo aye isinyi ko leko, meaning children of nowadays lack good manners, i said no ma, point of correction, you're the one that never taught him to be well mannered, if you have instilled the sense of gratitude in him, he would have been used to it. So after we came back from shopping, the mother bought him 5 trousers, 5 shirts, underwears, shoes, sandals, slippers and varieties of provisions. To my utter amazement, he just collected those stuffs without saying anything, i had to call him back and asked him why he didn't appreciate all they did for him, surprisingly, he said.......it's their duty now, why will i thank them for performing their duties. I then asked that what if they refuse to perform their duties, will you kill them, so, i tried to educate him on the importance of being appreciative. Atleast, for that day, he went to them and thank them after my "sermons on the mountain".
What am i saying? It is the way we train these children that they will carry to adulthood.
Once again, may God help us all parents.
Writing the bolded in full won't take forever
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by lirusehn(m): 11:26am On Sep 25, 2014
egopersonified:

No, thanks. LMAO.
incase you guyz break up , plz save my username and PM me thankz .

undecided
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by streetzdreamz(m): 11:28am On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012:

my dear, just last week, i was at my SIL place, his son just gained admission into higher institution, his dad gave him his school fees, he just collected it, without saying anything, it was as if i wanted to explode, but i tried to control myself. As if that was not enough, she(SIL) asked me to accompany her to go do shopping for his son, so along the way, i discussed the attitude of ungratefulness i observed with her son and can you guess what she said? She said in yoruba and i quote.........haaaa, awon omo aye isinyi ko leko, meaning children of nowadays lack good manners, i said no ma, point of correction, you're the one that never taught him to be well mannered, if you have instilled the sense of gratitude in him, he would have been used to it. So after we came back from shopping, the mother bought him 5 trousers, 5 shirts, underwears, shoes, sandals, slippers and varieties of provisions. To my utter amazement, he just collected those stuffs without saying anything, i had to call him back and asked him why he didn't appreciate all they did for him, surprisingly, he said.......it's their duty now, why will i thank them for performing their duties. I then asked that what if they refuse to perform their duties, will you kill them, so, i tried to educate him on the importance of being appreciative. Atleast, for that day, he went to them and thank them after my "sermons on the mountain".
What am i saying? It is the way we train these children that they will carry to adulthood.
Once again, may God help us all parents.
lols d guy's mum has given d verdict already,*kids of nowadays* indeed,,everything all boils down to d upbringing as u'v rightly said,once d foundation s strong nfn can ever make d structure waver,ts nt only on gratitude alone t encompasses everything called morals,dats y u'l find folks online dat cant exchange diff views n opinions about an issue witout resulting into insulting eachoda,d blame s solely on d parents n partly on d kids,nice write up,atleast twill enlighten some parents to be,n help re-shapen some bent lifes. grin
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by precious2504: 11:28am On Sep 25, 2014
Parents have a great role to play in all of these. Dis training should be started at an early age.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 25, 2014
I must say, I do not understand this topic fully.
So, when I finish eating at home, I should go and meet my mum and dad and say thank you
Is that not uncalled for and unnecessary. Same as saying when I drink water I should also say thank you to my parents

I do agree on the issue of showing gratitude and saying thank you; when necessary, especially when it is money, help, and material things.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Bibol(f): 11:40am On Sep 25, 2014
@OP, God bless you for this topic. I can't begin to count how many kids I've given gifts to that I had to call them back and say "Junior what are you expected to say?". Some of them just run along as if whatever you gave them or did for them is not a big deal. Parents have a long way to go in training up their kids because if you don't, they won't learn it anywhere else. And if they eventually do learn, it will be in the hard way. I have a 5 year old nephew that doesn't allow anyone to watch any other station apart from Nickledon as long as he is in front of the TV set, even visitors. He controls his parents and their emotions and when an adult tries to correct him as a child, all you hear the mother say is that she doesnt want him to cry. The way you train your child is the way they will likely behave when they grow up and are alone. So many spoilt kids everywhere ... Kids of " this generation" indeed.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by rehoboam: 11:43am On Sep 25, 2014
(the true gospel:
It is appointed for men to die
once, but after that to face
judgment. Hebrews. 9:27
“The time is fulfilled, and the
kingdom of God is at hand.
Repent, and believe in the
gospel.” Mark. 1:15
You must repent. This means a
complete change regarding
sin. There must be a change of
mind. You must admit that you
are a sinner, a rebel against a
holy and loving God. There
must be a change of heart —
genuine sorrow and shame at
the vileness: and filthiness of
your sin. Then you must be
willing to forsake it and
change the direction of your
life. God challenges people to
prove their repentance by their
deeds (Acts 26:20). You must
do this. God will not forgive
any sin you are not willing to
forsake.
Sin is [TRANSGRESSION,
LAWLESSNESS and REBELLION]
against God and His Perfect
Holy Moral Law. You are "Guilty"
for your evil thoughts, words,
and deeds — read:
Now the works of the flesh are
evident, which are: adultery,
fornication, uncleanness,
lewdness, idolatry, sorcery,
hatred, contentions, jealousies,
outbursts of wrath, selfish
ambitions, dissensions,
heresies, envy, murders,
drunkenness, revelries, and the
like; of which I tell you
beforehand, just as I also told
you in time past, that those
who practice such things will
not inherit the kingdom of
God. Galatians. 5:19-20
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by rocean: 11:51am On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by radiant3(f): 11:55am On Sep 25, 2014
Charity begins at home!It is a good thing to be thankful,appreciative nd grateful to God nd men,it really determines hw far u go in life.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Leochizzy(m): 12:03pm On Sep 25, 2014
temigracie: ..hmmm....@OP...Tanks for sharing this useful and valuable information....

I am richly blessed to be Miss Grace....I'm blessed to be raised by my loving and sweet parents....

SOme of this values our parent imparted in us are fading....Children of nowadays are growing faster....They dont want to even hear about culture and values talkless of doing it....

I think parents should do and try all their possible best to impart this into their children....Like one yoruba proverb that says 'Ati kekere latin paka iroko'....It means foundation matters alot....We should not wait till when our children becomes dried fish before we try to bend them to do our wish...
temigracie: ..hmmm....@OP...Tanks for sharing this useful and valuable information....

I am richly blessed to be Miss Grace....I'm blessed to be raised by my loving and sweet parents....

SOme of this values our parent imparted in us are fading....Children of nowadays are growing faster....They dont want to even hear about culture and values talkless of doing it....

I think parents should do and try all their possible best to impart this into their children....Like one yoruba proverb that says 'Ati kekere latin paka iroko'....It means foundation matters alot....We should not wait till when our children becomes dried fish before we try to bend them to do our wish...
[quote author=temigracie]..hmmm....@OP...Tanks for sharing this useful and valuable information....

SOme of this values our parent imparted in us are fading....Children of nowadays are growing
faster....They dont want to even hear about culture and values talkless of doing it....

I think parents should do and try all their possible best to impart this into their children....Like one yoruba proverb that says 'Ati kekere latin paka iroko'....It means foundation matters alot....We should not wait till when our children becomes dried fish before we try to bend them to do our wis.......Yes My dear. I wish people will learn ]
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Luminary1(f): 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
nice topic........its a very needful virtue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Wrongturn: 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
shehuakafi: German Muslim scholar replies on
TERRORISM ... I liked the
answer of this German Muslim scholar
when he was asked
about terrorism and Islam : He said : Who
started the first
world war? not Muslims ? Who started the
second world war ?
not Muslims ? Who killed about 20 millions
of Aborigines in
Australia ? not Muslims ?? Who sent the
nuclear bombs of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki ? not Muslims ??
killed more than
100 millions of Indians in North America ?
not Muslims ??
Who killed more than 50 millions of Indians
in south
America ? not Muslims ?? Who took about
180 millions of
African people as slaves and 88% of them
died and were
thrown in Atlantic ocean ? not Muslims ??
No , NOT Muslims!!!
First of all, You have to define terrorism
properly... If a non-
Muslim does something bad..it is crime.
But if a Muslim
commits the same..he is a terrorist...
So
first remove this
double standard...then come to the
point!!! , . . . . . I am proud
to be a MUSLIM !!! ARE YOU
Those people u mentioned at a certain point in time acknowledged they did wrong. But if ur Muslim brothers do the same, they give thanks to Allah and seek to do even more. So they're terrorists
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by LLVelly: 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Na female thread be this? Coz wetin I see here na only female comments. My future banana hope u've learn from this.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Unluvable(f): 12:22pm On Sep 25, 2014
Joavid: I must say, I do not understand this topic fully.
So, when I finish eating at home, I should go and meet my mum and dad and say thank you
Is that not uncalled for and unnecessary. Same as saying when I drink water I should also say thank you to my parents

I do agree on the issue of showing gratitude and saying thank you; when necessary, especially when it is money, help, and material things.

I thank my parents after my meals except they are not around,that's how I've known it to be all my life. I picked it up from my parents, so it just comes naturally.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kreamidiva(f): 12:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012:

what a coincidence!
That's what my baby on my profile pics is singing presently.

And before they even get admitted in school, they already get used to it, because we have the disc at home, collection of poems.
Thanks.

Lol...
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kreamidiva(f): 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
expensive007:
If she chooses to use them outwardly, and not inwardly alone. you see, it is not enough to have something in mind, but it is important to use them outside. i pray God will continually help us to be more mannerful. 'thank you!' grin grin grin

Of course! She uses it outside na. She's 4 yrs and knows the right thing to say. "Thank you sir" tongue

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kreamidiva(f): 12:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
Joavid: I must say, I do not understand this topic fully.

Yes o. I say thank you to my folks even till now.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by browncool(m): 12:38pm On Sep 25, 2014
egopersonified: Thank you op, my last born is 2 and one of his first words was 'ta-tu'. Whenever you give him anything, even ordinary water to drink, he goes 'ta-tu'. It melted my heart so much that I would always look for opportunties to give him something. And there's this nanny in his daycare that when you give her just N1,000, she will thank you, when she gets home, she will call you to thank you again and for the next three days its thank you galore and I keep feeling embarassed, I always feel the thank you is more than the gift so I am always giving even when I dont have enough for myself. I also learnt on nl to say thank you, with a smile, to my husband after eating, you need to see the way his eyes light up sometimes with satisfaction.
Absolutely true, you sound pretty much like my wife because I am just in same situation and also have a two years old daughter
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by slickyb(f): 1:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012: Hello lovely Nairalanders.
I'm gradually resuming back to NL after my unofficial vacation.
I want us to learn from one another as regards what affects every family, which is...............training of our children, whether biological, adopted or live-ins(i mean relative kids who are living with us temporarily, for one reason or the other), therefore, i will be coming up mostly on threads that have to do with child/ren upbringing and today, we want to start with "teaching our children to always be appreciative, no matter how small or little the favour shown by whoever, be it parents, relatives, friends, visitors, employees/employers, or even strangers.

First, what is gratitude?
Gratitude is the appreciation for a favour given or shown to someone. It is the act of thankfulness. It is being grateful for favour or kindness.

How can we show gratitude?

Personally, the best way to show appreciation is by saying it out............by saying thank you each and everytime a kind of favour is given or shown to someone, without saying it out, the person doing the favour may think his/her favour/kindness is not appreciated, so, the best way to let the person know that you appreciate is by telling the person that you appreciate his good gesture towards you.
Another way is by leading as example, what you don't have, you can't give, if you're the type that's always grateful, they will always copy you. For example, when any of my kids do something nice, i thank them. It means you're indirectly training them to be likewise.
Why showing appreciation?
A yoruba adage says "eni to ba dupe ore ana, a ri emii gba" i.e if you say thank you for a kindness, it is an avenue for you to get another one". However, personally, the reason for being appreciative is not basically to get another one but to show that YOU ARE WELL AND PROPERLY BROUGTH UP. I use to say this, there is no bad elder, it is a bad child that grows to become bad adult, if one does not know how to say thank you for a good deed, then such should not complain when wickedness is shown to him. If somene can go out of his way to assist in one way or the other and the mouth seems to be too heavy to utter just "thank you, such a person should not use the same heavy mouth to complain when a prospective helper refuses to help. This is in support of yoruba adage that says......."eni ti a ba se oore fun, ti ko ba dupe, ti a ba se ika fun, ko ma binu".

When do you start teaching your kids the sense of gratitude?

As early as possible, teaching our kids to be appreciative should start from when they are toddlers, so that they will get used to it. Infact, all my children's first words are...."tan tu" (thank you). They are so used to it now that it makes people , almost everyone that come across them to fall in love with them instantly. They are taught to say "thank you Lord" first thing in the morning, and that also is already part of them that no one can take away from them. Saying thank you by kids make people to conclude that, such kid is well-mannered, even though as kids, they have their flaws, but the sense of gratitude they possess has so much covered their other areas of weakness to the people outside.

How do you instill sense of gratitude into your kids?
Very simple; instist that they say thank you for whatever you do for them at home, even though, it is our duty to take care of our kids, but it's also their right to appreciate it.

Let us learn from one another, if there is any other point to add or modify, please, let's do and learn from one another.
May God help us all parents.
@op THANK YOU
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Hollyb(f): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
this post made me remember a nursery rhyme which goes thus: "learn to say please if you want anything, learn to say sorry if you hurt someone, learn to say thank you in appreciation and God will be with you"
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by hollas2jnr(m): 1:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012:

there is indeed no one you say thank you to that will not be happy and willing to do more.
Proved!

Last month, i was going to the salon with my daughter, and one woman admired her, gave her biscuit, we thanked her and left, the second day, my daughter wilingly requested to go and thank the woman for the biscuit given her the previous day, i allowed her, believe me, she came back with another gift, even more valuable than the former.

Wow. Its so strange to come across kids as mannered as yours. May God give you the grace to keep it up. Amen.

@Topic: I'm not married yet but make sure i give my all into bringing my kids up the way of the Lord.

Even atimes when i just greet some strangers as simple as 'good morning', they'll walk up to me, stare at me very well and ask if i know them from somewhere while i reply not necessarily. Then they smile and say me the same or even go as far as giving a pat and begin to share stories.

The society is decaying just by the day... May god help us all. Amen.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Ghost Stories (pressing Someones Neck At Night) / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady / How Do You Lift Your Spirits When You Are Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.