Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,354 members, 7,815,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? (19467 Views)

My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / I Made My Husband Impotent For Taking A Second Wife - Woman Confesses In Delta / Do such wife/woman exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2006
Oh brother, diddy its all good.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by diddy4(m): 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2006
perfect.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by tenik: 8:22pm On Jul 31, 2006
Hmmm. for a guy earning 50k-60k he should still be single and if not , the wife should not collect a dime coz she has to be working too so every1 bears their father,s name till the guy is capable of sometin really worth the wife.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 8:30pm On Jul 31, 2006
how much is 50-60k sef in dollars and is this a month? tenik
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by diddy4(m): 8:36pm On Jul 31, 2006
50 to 60k is less dan $1000 a month. and its is monthly not bi-weekly or weekly.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by bobotee(m): 8:44pm On Jul 31, 2006
Well it depends but few good women dont mind what their husband drops for the upkeep at home as long as there is LOVE. For some men they may give up to 10k for a month and some as low as 5k. If there is a project that they both know about, ther would be a better inderstanding.
But women dont mind u give them d 50k patapata!
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by mamaput(f): 9:18pm On Jul 31, 2006
Well i have said it depends on the Man and woman.
I had a joint accout my mum and dad too. But i will not do it again.
If i marry again let the man if he wants give me access to his account but joint account no please. because at the end of the day its not only the money you get but also the depts
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by nilla(f): 9:35pm On Jul 31, 2006
@ topic

It depends on that particular husband and wife. (Because they have their own unique situation)
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by IykeD1(m): 9:52pm On Jul 31, 2006
It all depends, plus the question is too general,

People tend to forget easily that USA is just another part of the world, what goes on here doesn't
necessary have to be the norm or standard elsewhere. People instinctively re-acted negatively to the
word "allowance" just like some "modern women" cringe when they hear the word "submissive".

Personally, I think you have to consider the household commitments - bills, food, transportation, rent,
housing, children's expenses, etc. and who is paying for what. Is the man paying for everything and is
allowance in this regard referring to how much to give the wife for personal expenses? Or is allowance
supposed to be the amount given to the wife to handle all the household expenditures plus her upkeep?
Is wife earning any income?
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Rolly: 10:46pm On Jul 31, 2006
"ALLOWANCE?" sounds like shes just home and working for the guy. Apart form the fact that she shld get a job, it is a man's duty as the husband to help her out. Plus, they shld look at what they have and how much they psned on a monthly basis and decide on how much they'll need. it shld be a "JOINT" thing not a man decideing how much to give his wife or the wife saying "u can only give me 10,000 or more not less" and stuff like that.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by CHRISTEL(f): 10:56pm On Jul 31, 2006
NONE, TO ME THAT WILL BE AN INSULT, ESPECIALLY IF U ARE INDIPENDENT AN HARD WORKING AS IAM, EXCEPT U ARE TALKING ABOUT FAMILY SUPPORT, THAT I WILL AGREE. REM WHAT A MAN CAN DO, A WOMAN CAN EVEN BETTER.
LEAST I FORGET, DON'T HATE. wink wink wink wink wink
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Idekeson(m): 1:16am On Aug 01, 2006
God forbid I find myself in a situation where allowance is brought up in a conversation. Get a J-O-B.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Mystique(f): 10:59am On Aug 01, 2006
Whether she has a job or not, she shld be given somethin for the up keep of the house, and if think u're too modern to give ur wife an allowance, then dont be surprised if she becomes the man of the house, and u become just a figure head. cool
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by divadarlin(f): 9:24pm On Aug 01, 2006
i have an experience to share. I just moved to the states and it was my freshman year in college. I started to stay in apartment with my brother that was two years older than me. I didn't have a social security number and so I couldn't get a visa check card or a credit card of my own. Plus my brother was here before me and it was only his name on the account our parents set for us and i was only 17. Well my brother began to give me an allowance. Whenever I needed money he gave me. Groceries, lingerie, clothes, books and everything in between. It eventually caused a lot of friction between us. Why? Money is power. He had total control. I started out as him handing me money, but suddenly now I had to breakdown what I was doin with the money to the last dime. I had to explain why I needed a bra Whether i really needed a book for school. write a list of what i wanted to buy from the grocery store so that he could approve. That is very demeaning and our relationship grew sour. Sometimes if we had an argument he wouldn't give me any money, or when i needed money he wouldn't give me until he felt like it.
Even after It got my card and name on the account we still have friction over our parents money. Most of my girlfriends think I am a cheapskate. (store brand groceries) but my brother still felt he was better than managing money than me, i am not responsible enough to handle money. My actions with money have always been prudent, so he view has nothing to do with my actions, but the simple fact that when some has had so much control over an aspect of your life for some time. They find it hard to realize that you can stand on your own two feet.
I'm not married, but from my experience I know that allowances wont work. We r human and I know how nice it would feel if I got mad at my brother and withheld money from him to put gas in his car. HA!
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by mamaput(f): 10:24pm On Aug 01, 2006
I do not understand in germany i can open an account for my kids at age 12.
and a savings account at age 0.
Her brother should have been giving her a fixed amount montly or weekly so that she could have known at least the minimum she could have reckoned with,
She will never be greatfull to her brother, My brother tried that stuff am 42 now and amnot greatfull to him for it.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by hotangel2(f): 11:19pm On Aug 01, 2006
Okay first of all, ALLOWANCE Ke? For wife?? Okay now that's 'retarded(?)'.

Anyways, personally, since im not planning on going to a man's house to depend on his money, i don't think i'd need an 'allowance'.

But in a marriage tho, i think the husband And wife should both decide on monthly expenses. of course the man would most deffinitely pay more to the expenses. cos he's the husband.

I DON'T PLAN on having MY account Joint with my husband's. That's a stupid idea according to my dictionary. Now, i can have a joint account for the family, but i'll still most deffinitely have MY own Account.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by divadarlin(f): 6:24am On Aug 02, 2006
You need a social security# to open an account. The new rule in US (which they drilled during my oreintation) is that people on student visas only get a social security # when they get a job
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by hotangel2(f): 6:38am On Aug 02, 2006
divadarlin:

You need a social security# to open an account. The new rule in US (which they drilled during my oreintation) is that people on student visas only get a social security # when they get a job

I KNow oo. My friend has the same problem.

But when she got to the JOb place, THEY wanted her social security. SO it's like a "hanhan, wat do you want from me thing".

I guess u have to use ur student visa to get the job, cos that's wat the social security people told my friend. She went to school, to get a job, and then the school job offices, said they still wanted her SSN #. I was like fxxck! I dont get it.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 7:03am On Aug 02, 2006
divadarlin:

Well i thought you had one but also some banks wont open an account for you if you are under 18 but savings you can have with parents on the account but yes you do need SS number, i can't think of anything you do in this country without SS number.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by dondele(m): 7:22am On Aug 02, 2006
@babe1
i hope u do think b4 u utter somethings out. anyone can open account in the US as far as u are of legal status. if u are underaged u will be asked to bring your parents or guardian and the date aint 18 it is actually 16. and what divadarlin said about her case has everything to do with this topic becuzz when the hubby is the one issuing out the money, he might become power drunk and start disrespecting the wife and i hope you also know that it is different strokes for different folks. what might work for you wont work for another person, ma'am. smiley

@hot-angel and diddy
i agree with you guys on the joint account thing. it makes no sense. joint account is not for me. i mean, what is the purpose? it is better if we have our own accounts cuzz when we have a joint account, we might start questioning each others transactions and this will cause serious toruble.

@hot-angel
about the social security issue, your friend needs to be first accepted by the department she wants to work for in the school b4 she goes to the SS office to request for a number. she can go to their website and she what she needs to bring along with her. i have a friend dat had same problem and he was told he needs to be accepted by the department b4 they can issue a number and he should bring the letter of acceptance as a proof.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by dondele(m): 7:24am On Aug 02, 2006
@CHRISTEL
in as much as you are all cute and stuff, i believe you have painted this site with your picture, we have seen you, you are beautiful, now can u stop posting the pics and post without seeking notice? thanks.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by DAMMYGLOW(f): 1:21pm On Aug 02, 2006
the man should be willing to give as much as he can afford to
and the woman should be willing to manage as much or little as she is given
it also depends on their agreement.
they should sit down and list the needs of the family,
and how best they can both manage to get their needs fulfilled

as for those dating , girls should not depend on guys
until they are married, if the guy is willing fine
if not dont ask for money as if your life depend on it
girls should learn to be independent
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by dilidili(f): 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2006
hellow people, am cool with my man giving me allowance even though am working coz if he doesnt he will have enough to give the chicks out there. dont get me wrong i will do my part as a woman but my monthly allowance he must sure
surely give me. Dammyglow am in full surport of what you said
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by DAMMYGLOW(f): 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2006
yeah you have a point, it all depends on how we are looking at it.
if he doesn't give you, the money has to go somewhere.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by vostel(f): 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2006
I don't understand all the arms up in the air about a husband giving a wife "allowance" in the modern century?  What's wrong with that?  I think it is a show of responsibility for a husband to give a wife "allowance" whther or not she is working, and whether or not she is financially dependent on him.  That's why he is the husband -- he is meant to provide for the family,including the wife.

The way my fiancee and I have planned our finances,  his money is for the upkeep of the family. His money goes in an account to which I also have access.  In our spending budget, we include an "allowance" for my personal upkeep that is given to me at the beginning of the year for t the entire year.  This amount is separate from any amount spent on the family, or for food or for children (we don't have kids yet though).  The "allowance" is solely for me (i.e, shopping, going to the spa, manicure,pedicure, hair salon, etc).  In addition, we have a joint credit card -- we both have a copy of the card.  The card is used for family expenses -- i.e, food, furniture, anything for the home goes on the card.  We have an agreement on what we can each spend on the card independently.  We consult each other for large purchase items.  Every month, he pays off the card from the account.

My fiancee is the higher earner. But I work and earn a high income as well -- but that's my money.  My fiancee does not ask after it, and does not ask me to contribute from it. I keep that money in my own separate account. It's my choice to work and my decision what to do with my money. As a (future)wife, it is not my responsibility to provide financially. So if i choose to work, it should not affect my husband's duty to provide financially for the home and to provide financially for me - whether in the form of allowance or not.

So naturally I save my salary(after deducting some additional spenging money).  I'm planning that when we buy a home soon, I'll surprise my fiancee and put down the downpayment from my personal account. 

Even though he provides financially for my needs, my fiancee can't act like a God over me, because he knows that i am quite capable of supporting a household on my own. So, giving a wife money for her personal upkeep is not necessarily degrading- it depends on the understanding the couple has.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 11:10pm On Aug 02, 2006
dondele duh, different states am sure differents strokes, my nieces and nephews have has accounts(savings) since they were babies with their parents on there. My niece tried to open a checking account in TX at 17bcause she was going off to college and needed her own checking account t but they wont let her till she turned 18 and she just did. This is with chase bank. I utter out of experience my friend. Dont tell me what you think is right when i was there. geez. What did u say? parents or guardian. Did you even understand what i wrote in the first place? i dont think so. check yourself b4 you wreck yourself.Get it right please. Like i said the topic was not about brother and sister but husband and wife. There is a reason while this is a forum, she can come up with her own brother and sister allowance topic i think. Sometimes people shy away from whats on the table and i for one , i have a right to my opinion,and do not find that interesting.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by babe1(f): 11:13pm On Aug 02, 2006
dondele:

@CHRISTEL
in as much as you are all cute and stuff, i believe you have painted this site with your picture, we have seen you, you are beautiful, now can u stop posting the pics and post without seeking notice? thanks.

You know what, i apologise for wasting my ink on you, after reading this i have concluded that you are a hater.You are the weakest LINK. Goodbye.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by dondele(m): 11:14pm On Aug 02, 2006
i hope u know some opinions might sound stupid sometimes.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by dondele(m): 11:16pm On Aug 02, 2006
nahh, u are the weakest link. wonder the type of brain you have. she is distracting ppl with all the pics she is posting everywhere. common sense didnt allow u to think of it like dat.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Nia: 7:30am On Aug 03, 2006
Money gives you power. As long as you're having to look to someone else to give you money to take care of yourself, you do not fully have control over your life. They control you. Everyone should strive to work hard and bring in their own money. I am definitely for 50/50 on this issue. IMO, It's hard for me to expect my husband to treat me with proper respect while i'm still asking him for allowances.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by mamaput(f): 7:56am On Aug 03, 2006
Well in germany i can open a normal account for my kids at age 12. Only they cannot overdraw the account.The banks are just trying to gain new costumers Early . They believe the younger they arethe more they likely they will stay with them.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by twinkledew(f): 4:15pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ diddy

Have u heard of nannies that do all sort of sexual activities with babies?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Describe Your Dad's Slap In One Word / How Do You Deal With A Lazy Elder Brother Or Sister? / Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.