Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,356 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? (19468 Views)

My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / I Made My Husband Impotent For Taking A Second Wife - Woman Confesses In Delta / Do such wife/woman exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by CoolDave(m): 5:51pm On Aug 03, 2006
Thanx to you all for your wonderful and unbiased contributions---Different views,war of words(babe1,mamaput and diddy),its so wonderful having various posts and people sharing different opinions,well,I believe this has to do with the couples--whatever their decisions and resolutions are has got  to be respected.one man's food they say is another man's,you know what!
one fact is this,and I think u guys should understand that when a man gives allowance to a lady,it doesn't in anyway mean he regards the lady as his worker or something---I think this is the worm of inferiority complex that eats and gnaws at the wombs of so many ladies,you decide to give them allowance,they term it to be --"Hey beware of the muscle-man"--he wants to be your lord,bla bla bla.
Eve in the garden of Eden then had every right to do whatever she wants and she didnt feel that Adam was a bully.Ladies with inferiority complex should check themselves else they'll have stomach ulcer--not proven yet! Come to think of it,they are the one clamouring for equal right for the women folk--what a misconception!Just live your life and the guy would respect you,that is ,if you treat him passionately--men's secret.
Back to the Topic---@babe1,I feel you--go on and be good to your family.
@diddy,you sure would not hit with brick wall with your lady if both of you have an understanding.
@mamaput--I don't have any doubt about your knowledge of mamaputs in Nigeria and abroad--ones field/talent makes way for him--keep it up.
@sister having problem with brother over allowance,I think you have watch your decision about men,your relationship with your brother would have a significant effect on your marital life if you allow a single man's behaviour dictate your global view on men--That would be wrong.
@Everyone,thanks for your contribution.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Nia: 7:01pm On Aug 03, 2006
CoolDave:

Thanx to you all for your wonderful and unbiased contributions---Different views,war of words(babe1,mamaput and diddy),its so wonderful having various posts and people sharing different opinions,well,I believe this has to do with the couples--whatever their decisions and resolutions are has got  to be respected.one man's food they say is another man's,you know what!
one fact is this,and I think u guys should understand that when a man gives allowance to a lady,it doesn't in anyway mean he regards the lady as his worker or something---I think this is the worm of inferiority complex that eats and gnaws at the wombs of so many ladies,you decide to give them allowance,they term it to be --"Hey beware of the muscle-man"--he wants to be your lord,bla bla bla.
Eve in the garden of Eden then had every right to do whatever she wants and she didnt feel that Adam was a bully.Ladies with inferiority complex should check themselves else they'll have stomach ulcer--not proven yet! Come to think of it,they are the one clamouring for equal right for the women folk--what a misconception!Just live your life and the guy would respect you,that is ,if you treat him passionately--men's secret.
lol. I think some of these was directed at my post, so i'm going to respond. Having full control over your life has nothing to do with inferiority complex. I think we might need to revisit what that term means so we don't confuse issues. Wanting to feel financial independence is as human as anything else. Unless I'm making a huge decision like buying a car or something, I should be a able to buy whatever I want, whenever I want without having to ask my husband for money. And I stated that, IMO, I would feel better (read deserving of respect) knowing that I too have worked to earn that money. I do not think my husband should be out there working his butt off to provide me with allowances. I would feel better knowing that he doesn't have to work as hard because, I too, am out there working to supplement the household income. Good luck to you and wife.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by CoolDave(m): 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2006
@Nia, You did say its hard for you to expect your husband to treat you with respect when you get money from him,tell me,that is ,if you are married already,does your husband give you money or not and if you are not married,Im sure you are just making some fuss about the whole issue,ladies like you end up getting much more from your guy when you get married.
50/50 huh,thats a laugh--I find it difficult to believe you Nia.
Do take care of the nice guy though-He has good intentions
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Nia: 8:44pm On Aug 04, 2006
CoolDave:

@Nia, You did say its hard for you to expect your husband to treat you with respect when you get money from him,tell me,that is ,if you are married already,does your husband give you money or not and if you are not married,I'm sure you are just making some fuss about the whole issue,ladies like you end up getting much more from your guy when you get married.
50/50 huh,thats a laugh--I find it difficult to believe you Nia.
Do take care of the nice guy though-He has good intentions

Cooldave, I have no reason to come on here and lie. I don't see the point, since i'm not trying to impress anyone. What I wrote is what I mean, so i'm not sure what scientific research you've done to conclude that "Ladies like me do this and that". I think having (financial) independence is important and healthy for a relationship. I also believe there's much respect in working to earn your keep, which is why I stated the issue of respect. I started working at 15 and ever since I have always worked. Yes, my parents still offered to give me the allowances, but it was optional and since I had a job, I didn't need to rely on it. I would also help pay for some of the household bills every now and then. I understood how this relieved some of the financial burdens from them and also noticed that my parents treated me differently. Like an individual who has matured and knows how to make responsible decisions in spending the money she worked for. That feeling is priceless, I tell you. And it is something I've learned to see as normal. It's not just a characteristics of male, as you seem to be trying to turn this issue into, but more of a human thing. Working hard and being self reliable is something many people respect regardless of gender.
You seem to think this is a personal attack on you or your wife, but I don't see why or how. We are not all zombies. but people from different backgrounds and experiences, therefore we are bound to have different opinions.

WHAT I THINK YOU FIND OFFENSIVE: is my statement on the issue of control.
I do believe that marriage and courtship is different than that of a parent and child. Of course there are wonderful men who do not abuse their position as the financial provider, but unless you believe every man in the world is perfect, I don't see why you should find what I wrote offensive because the reality is that financial security IS a way that some people use to trap and control their partner and it has been done (though sometimes unintentionally). I am not saying everyone does this, but it happens. If for some reason your marriage begins to turn sour, maybe there's mental or physical abuse or what not,  it is very hard for the person who is relying on allowances to leave that marriage when they don't have financial security. Their only option is to suffer and smile. I was not implying that this is the case with you and your wife, by no means, so I'm not sure why it is you find my post offensive.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Memunah(f): 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2006
It depends how much the family income is?and the size of the family
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 04, 2012
Stupid question.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Kahwayy(f): 6:30pm On Mar 04, 2012
Why should she be given an allowance when she has a job?
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by bettiesofttouch(f): 2:43pm On Jan 08, 2015
diddy4:
i will never try this joint account thingy. no matter how much she makes, imm@ give her allowance. as far as i make more than her. my wife wont sweat too much ooo. no way, she is da queen in control of ma heart. give her the world and all i need is her loving care.
. God bless u jare. You are her king n she is your queen. Wen 2 best friends gets married there's always a balance equation wen it has 2 do with finances n spendings.
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by vicraven(m): 10:42am On Dec 22, 2015
Damsal:
allowance!!!!, what is she working for you? she does not need allowance, the both of you should get a joint account and if money is needed for food stuff, or the house upkeep then she can take out of it.
If she is jobless then please give her as much as you want a woman placing herself in the position for a man to hold her up keep gets no sympathy from me.
damn! you deserve much more than you thin gurl.. cheers
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 25, 2015
luvlymoi:
i cant believe wat am seeing. i didnt knw there was still something like this or is it a nigerian thing. well sha y should u pay ur wife like shes ur worker, u should open an account for her or a joint account. she is supposed to be ur partner for cryin out loud!!!
Tell them.. They are the reason some women/wife are lazy. Unless they be looking for house wives
Re: How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? by charlsecy(m): 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
twinkledew:
It is shameful for a wife to be asking her husband for money all the time.
She should get a job then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Describe Your Dad's Slap In One Word / How Do You Deal With A Lazy Elder Brother Or Sister? / Is It Advisable For A 27-yr-old Graduate To Rent His Own Place?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.