Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life (736 Views)

Let's Talk About Gender Equality(in Pictures) / True Facts About Gender Equality In Photos / Why Some Ladies Remain Single For Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:08pm On Sep 27, 2014
Law of patriarchy is well recognised in our society in Africa, but today our women are claiming equal rights like their counterparts in the Western world which is very wrong here. Can they have equal rights in Africa too?
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Mynd44: 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2014
And why can't they or should they not have equal right?

Your insecurity has started kicking in right?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:13pm On Sep 27, 2014
Mynd44: And why can't they or should they not have equal right?

Your insecurity has started kicking in right?
Ah! how bro?
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by ronald4lif(m): 12:16pm On Sep 27, 2014
sam4: Law of patriarchy is well recognised in our society in Africa, but today our women are claiming equal rights like their counterparts in the Western world which is very wrong here. Can they have equal rights in Africa too?

Yes they can, every human should have equal rights, gender equality has to be practised globally and I support the struggle. Equal rights doesn't make women less submissive, it only ensures oppression and the abuse of women is put to check

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Mynd44: 12:16pm On Sep 27, 2014
sam4: Ah! how bro?
Why are you asking me?
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:21pm On Sep 27, 2014
Mynd44:
Why are you asking me?
I want to know pls
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

Yes they can, every human should have equal rights, gender equality has to be practised globally and I support the struggle. Equal rights doesn't make women less submissive, it only ensures oppression and the abuse of women is put to check
Sir, am a Yoruba man and our culture does not support that. You know women want total freedom like men, how could that be possible?
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by ITbomb(m): 12:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
There can never be true gender equality in Nigeria, even an average Nigerian woman, no matter how educated, knows that.
What we have here is EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES, not equal rights
A woman has the same opportunity as man to be whatever she wants, even president or Bishop (sic) but when it comes to society or family, she can never take the place of man. NOI still dey prepare food for the husband and children whenever they are at home, same with other responsible high flying women

1 Like

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
ITbomb: There can never be true gender equality in Nigeria, even an average Nigerian woman, no matter how educated, knows that.
What we have here is EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES, not equal rights
A woman has the same opportunity as man to be whatever she wants, even president or Bishop (sic) but when it comes to society or family, she can never take the place of man. NOI still dey prepare food for the husband and children whenever they are at home, same with other responsible high flying women
You are very right sir..
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by ronald4lif(m): 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
sam4: Sir, am a Yoruba man and our culture does not support that. You know women want total freedom like men, how could that be possible?

Gender equality has nothing to do with tribe nor culture, it's more of insecurity and men domineering attitude. You asked women want total freedom like men and how could that be possible? Now tell me why you think is not possible, are you threatened by women standing up for their rights and for what reasons? Why should they not have as equal freedom as the men? And please this debate shouldn't be narrowed down to religion for it lacks merits. I would only consider rational discuss.

2 Likes

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

Gender equality has nothing to do with tribe nor culture, it's more of insecurity and men domineering attitude. You asked women want total freedom like men and how could that be possible? Now tell me why you think is not possible, are you threatened by women standing up for their rights and for what reasons? Why should they not have as equal freedom as the men? And please this debate shouldn't be narrowed down to religion for it lacks merits. I would only consider rational discuss.
Here in our Africa o am nt talking about other continent sir it cant work.
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

Gender equality has nothing to do with tribe nor culture, it's more of insecurity and men domineering attitude.
right here in africa, we believe the family. Structure places man above the woman. It is quite strange that you guys are adopting foreign practices that are causing chaos in the society where they started. Let americans embrace their own madness while we africans embrace our own culture
ronald4lif: You asked women want total freedom like men and how could that be possible? Now tell me why you think is not possible, are you threatened by women standing up for their rights and for what reasons?
what are her rights? To be the head of the family?
ronald4lif: Why should they not have as equal freedom as the men?
if they don't have equal freedom, what bondage are they in?
ronald4lif: And please this debate shouldn't be narrowed down to religion for it lacks merits. I would only consider rational discuss.
religion instituted marriage, so it is quite wrong to sideline it.

1 Like

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: right here in africa, we believe the family. Structure places man above the woman. It is quite strange that you guys are adopting foreign practices that are causing chaos in the society where they started. Let americans embrace their own madness while we africans embrace our own culture what are her rights? To be the head of the family? if they don't have equal freedom, what bondage are they in?religion instituted marriage, so it is quite wrong to sideline it.
God bless you baba
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Pdizzle(m): 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
I support gender equality, but not those selfish feminism shiit. The truth is that no matter how equal we are with the female folks, we still have to respect their peculiarities and not feel cheated about it.
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2014
Pdizzle: I support gender equality, but not those selfish feminism shiit. The truth is that no matter how equal we are with the female folks, we still have to respect their peculiarities and not feel cheated about it.
You made a good point bro. Bravo
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by ronald4lif(m): 1:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: right here in africa, we believe the family. Structure places man above the woman. It is quite strange that you guys are adopting foreign practices that are causing chaos in the society where they started. Let americans embrace their own madness while we africans embrace our own culture what are her rights? To be the head of the family? if they don't have equal freedom, what bondage are they in?religion instituted marriage, so it is quite wrong to sideline it.

To start with religion didn't constitute marriage, there has been marriage constitution before religion was brought to Africa. Before the Europeans invaded Africa with religion there was the marriage constitution, our ancestors never knew what religion was all about and they got married. You asked "if they don't have equal rights, what bondage are they in"? This statement is rather comical and a very unserious one - if they aren't in bondage or in a more appropriate term 'oppressed' then why is equal rights/gender equality being resisted by men when raised? And equal rights doesn't automatically make a woman head of a family, it means security from being oppressed, abused physically, verbally and emotionally, enlighten her that she's human not a domestic staff...the list is endless.

It's one strangeness for us to always want to tell Americans and the west to practice their culture why we practise ours, aware democracy is their culture but we claim to practise it, we have conveniently choosed to practise the western culture that suits us and hypocritically dodges the ones that doesn't go down well with our egos. I would think if we berates the western culture and lifestyle we should do so completely not selectively.

2 Likes

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

To start with religion didn't constitute marriage, there has been marriage constitution before religion was brought to Africa. Before the Europeans invaded Africa with religion there was the marriage constitution, our ancestors never knew what religion was all about and they got married. You asked "if they don't have equal rights, what bondage are they in"? This statement is rather comical and a very unserious one - if they aren't in bondage or in a more appropriate term 'oppressed' then why is equal rights/gender equality being resisted by men when raised? And equal rights doesn't automatically make a woman head of a family, it means security from being oppressed, abused physically, verbally and emotionally, enlighten her that she's human not a domestic staff...the list is endless.

It's one strangeness for us to always want to tell Americans and the west to practice their culture why we practise ours, aware democracy is their culture but we claim to practise it, we have conveniently choosed to practise the western culture that suits us and hypocritically dodges the ones that doesn't go down well with our egos. I would think if we berates the western culture and lifestyle we should do so completely not selectively.
Equal rights. Wow interesting
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by MisterLongman(m): 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

Are you saying that there was no traditional religion in Africa before the europeans arrived......IMO gender equality should only come to play when the woman involved is being abused...... But if she uses it as a tool to look at her husband in the eye, then its disrespectful...... In the african society, a woman should know her rightful place...... @the bolded, africans should just follow all their cultures sheepishly whether its good or bad from an african perspective...... American cultures are not perfect, they have their own side effects
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

To start with religion didn't constitute marriage, there has been marriage constitution before religion was brought to Africa.
then why attempt to change the constitution?
ronald4lif: Before the Europeans invaded Africa with religion there was the marriage constitution, our ancestors never knew what religion was all about and they got married.
christianity brought a good structure for marriage which every of its follower found pleasing. Which religion are you coming with again? One. Which opposes the bible?
ronald4lif: You asked "if they don't have equal rights, what bondage are they in"? This statement is rather comical and a very unserious one - if they aren't in bondage or in a more appropriate term 'oppressed' then why is equal rights/gender equality being resisted by men when raised?
men don't resist equal rights in the sense of education, voting, medicine, occupation etc, we only resist feminism and gender equality which are insane movements because the male and female gender can never be equal, a woman can not have a penis while a man have a vagina. We were created for different purposes
ronald4lif: And equal rights doesn't automatically make a woman head of a family, it means security from being oppressed, abused physically, verbally and emotionally, enlighten her that she's human not a domestic staff...the list is endless.
in one sentence you claim you are fighting for gender equality, in another you claim you are fighting for equal rights. Don't you think you are confused? If she's abused, oppressed etc she has every right to report to authorities under the equal rights laws which men support, but her wanting to assume the post of the head of the family is something men kick against which you guys call gender equality.

ronald4lif: It's one strangeness for us to always want to tell Americans and the west to practice their culture why we practise ours, aware democracy is their culture but we claim to practise it, we have conveniently choosed to practise the western culture that suits us and hypocritically dodges the ones that doesn't go down well with our egos. I would think if we berates the western culture and lifestyle we should do so completely not selectively.
america has got some good cultures which we africans have adopted, that shouldn't be a reason why we should discard ours and accept all their culture especially when we can see the havoc it is causing in their society.
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by ronald4lif(m): 2:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: then why attempt to change the constitution?christianity brought a good structure for marriage which every of its follower found pleasing. Which religion are you coming with again? One. Which opposes the bible? men don't resist equal rights in the sense of education, voting, medicine, occupation etc, we only resist feminism and gender equality which are insane movements because the male and female gender can never be equal, a woman can not have a penis while a man have a vagina. We were created for different purposes in one sentence you claim you are fighting for gender equality, in another you claim you are fighting for equal rights. Don't you think you are confused? If she's abused, oppressed etc she has every right to report to authorities under the equal rights laws which men support, but her wanting to assume the post of the head of the family is something men kick against which you guys call gender equality.

america has got some good cultures which we africans have adopted, that shouldn't be a reason why we should discard ours and accept all their culture especially when we can see the havoc it is causing in their society.

No one is attempting to change the institution of marriage, last I checked marriage is a union where two become one and share similar
ideas but we have added cultural clause to it which places the women below us. I don't join rational discuss with religion hence I have nothing to say in that regard. It may be understandable (even though the argument is illogical) to allege that since we have different form of sexual
organs then we can't be equal but there's no prove that men should be placed above women even if we're to adopt this line of argument, on this basis then the women can equally claim they are the head since their sexual organ also differs from ours as we claim.

The reason I emphasised on domestic abuse earlier its because most domestic abuse stems from the gender inequality ideology, there's little or no other reason why a man would believe that it's his marital rights for his supposedly wife (although converted to a domestic staff) to have to prepare meal for him, bathe and prepare the kids they both had together for school and in most cases washes his clothes while he watches football etc. I don't know if she doubles as a wife and housemaid though.

I agree with you that a woman has a right to report to the authorities in the case of domestic abuse but I am sure you will also agree such task is a Herculean one in Nigeria. In our dear country Nigeria we have many laws in place but little or non are being enforced so it would be futile for her to reports to the authorities.

Yes America just like every other country has it shortcomings that wrecks havoc on its society but it is still the envy of all nations. The havoc that occurs in Nigeria, a country we all love to pride about as one which upholds cultural values and morals (albeit when it suits us) is far more than that that happens there in America, I stand to be corrected on this.

For the avoidance of a doubt, I will not advocate for gender equality/equal right (on family affairs) with any woman when married but that doesn't make it right. For me, this discussion is about what is right not what I think is right apparently because it suits me.

2 Likes

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
ronald4lif:

No one is attempting to change the institution of marriage, last I checked marriage is a union where two become one and share similar
ideas but we have added cultural clause to it which places the women below us. I don't join rational discuss with religion hence I have nothing to say in that regard. It may be understandable (even though the argument is illogical) to allege that since we have different form of sexual
organs then we can't be equal but there's no prove that men should be placed above women even if we're to adopt this line of argument, on this basis then the women can equally claim they are the head since their sexual organ also differs from ours as we claim.
when you sideline religion, you sideline God who formed the institution called marriage and the result you get is what you wrote up there. Will place a weak creation above a strong one in an affair?

ronald4lif: The reason I emphasised on domestic abuse earlier its because most domestic abuse stems from the gender inequality ideology, there's little or no other reason why a man would believe that it's his marital rights for his supposedly wife (although converted to a domestic staff) have to prepare meal for him, bathe and prepare the kids they both had together for school and in most cases washes his clothes while he watches football etc. I don't know if she doubles as a wife and housemaid though.
but it is a man's job to fend for the family, defend his family against intruders(just like men defend their nation in. War while women hide, and when the men lose, the women get spared and given relief materials), do the hard chores like grass cutting, lifting heavy materials etc abi? Don't you think its double standards cos you are sounding as if men don't have roles they play too?

ronald4lif: I agree with you that a woman has a right to report to the authorities in the case of domestic abuse but I am sure you will also agree such task is a Herculean one Nigeria. In our dear country Nigeria we have many laws in place but little or non are being enforced so it would be futile for her to reports to the authorities.
herculean task or not, women must report abuses likewise men cos they get abused too.[/quote]

ronald4lif: Yes America just like every other country has it shortcomings that wrecks havoc on its society but it is still the envy of all nations. The havoc that occurs in Nigeria, a country we all love to pride about as one which upholds cultural values and morals (albeit when it suits us) is far more than that that happens there in America, I stand to be corrected on this.
drugs, rape, murder, lack of respect, disobedience, illegal gun possession etc are at the highest in america because of the kind of culture they practice. Nigeria is still a learner compared to them

ronald4lif: For the avoidance of a doubt, I will not advocate for gender equality/equal right (on family affairs) with any woman when married but that doesn't make it right. For me, this discussion is about what is right not what I think is right apparently because it suits me.
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by CashdownNG: 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
Omo Na to dey "singer" for life oooo Chai!!!

nairaland... exposing illiteracy one at a time since 2005
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by ronald4lif(m): 3:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
TribalEAST: when you sideline religion, you sideline God who formed the institution called marriage and the result you get is what you wrote up there. Will place a weak creation above a strong one in an affair?

but it is a man's job to fend for the family, defend his family against intruders(just like men defend their nation in. War while women hide, and when the men lose, the women get spared and given relief materials), do the hard chores like grass cutting, lifting heavy materials etc abi? Don't you think its double standards cos you are sounding as if men don't have roles they play too?

herculean task or not, women must report abuses likewise men cos they get abused too.

Yes America just like every other country has it shortcomings that wrecks havoc on its society but it is still the envy of all nations. The havoc that occurs in Nigeria, a country we all love to pride about as one which upholds cultural values and morals (albeit when it suits us) is far more than that that happens there in America, I stand to be corrected on this. drugs, rape, murder, lack of respect, disobedience, illegal gun possession etc are at the highest in america because of the kind of culture they practice. Nigeria is still a learner compared to them

For the avoidance of a doubt, I will not advocate for gender equality/equal right (on family affairs) with any woman when married but that doesn't make it right. For me, this discussion is about what is right not what I think is right apparently because it suits me.

It's only in Nigeria that women have been made to believe that there are some jobs they can't do and it's only men responsibility to fend for the family. In a sane clime, the financial running and domestic front of a home is split equally; the bills, the chores, the bathing and feeding of the kids, cooking etc. I am not sure there's any job that women don't do for instance in Europe; hundreds of female soldiers are in war fronts in Afghanistan and Iraq, they have women bus, train and taxi drivers, women painters, labourers to name but a few. There's no limits to the jobs women do here.

Bro that many crimes go unreported in Nigeria doesn't make the US worst off, many Nigerians have lost confidence in our justice system hence so many feels its a waste of time to report crimes and most times you pay money to the police before they can take up your case which is meant to be a free rights and what if you don't have the money. Whereas, in the western world almost every crime gets reported and justice must be served. There's no twisting of the arms of the law like in Nigeria where the money bags goes free. The only two crimes which I can't help but agree is worst off in the states is drugs and gun running but I can't vouch same for other numerous social vices that is prevalent in Nigeria. And even with this havoc US is still the leading country in the world. For instance, many rape cases go unreported in Nigeria for fear of stigmatisation and lack of trust in the justice system. Abuse your wife or lay your hands on her in Nigeria nothing happens but do it here and serve jail term no matter how rich and influential you are. A man can just wake up tomorrow and drive away his wife from home or divorce her and she's left with nothing to survive on but any case of divorce here you split your wealth into two. Without sentiments, I want to believe that you would agree that most of these things are inhumane to the women-gender and more so stemming from gender inequality ideology. The western world has her own flaws like every part of the world but African women are being oppressed undeservedly in the domestic fronts and hence my reason for concurring to the struggle of gender equality as opposed by the op.

I reiterate that I wouldn't wants to have myself and wife have almost same marital rights but that doesn't make it right. The gap between men and women in Nigeria needs to be bridged.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 10:33pm On Sep 28, 2014
ronald4lif:

It's only in Nigeria that women have been made to believe that there are some jobs they can't do and it's only men responsibility to fend for the family. In a sane clime, the financial running and domestic front of a home is split equally; the bills, the chores, the bathing and feeding of the kids, cooking etc. I am not sure there's any job that women don't do for instance in Europe; hundreds of female soldiers are in war fronts in Afghanistan and Iraq, they have women bus, train and taxi drivers, women painters, labourers to name but a few. There's no limits to the jobs women do here.

Bro that many crimes go unreported in Nigeria doesn't make the US worst off, many Nigerians have lost confidence in our justice system hence so many feels its a waste of time to report crimes and most times you pay money to the police before they can take up your case which is meant to be a free rights and what if you don't have the money. Whereas, in the western world almost every crime gets reported and justice must be served. There's no twisting of the arms of the law like in Nigeria where the money bags goes free. The only two crimes which I can't help but agree is worst off in the states is drugs and gun running but I can't vouch same for other numerous social vices that is prevalent in Nigeria. And even with this havoc US is still the leading country in the world. For instance, many rape cases go unreported in Nigeria for fear of stigmatisation and lack of trust in the justice system. Abuse your wife or lay your hands on her in Nigeria nothing happens but do it here and serve jail term no matter how rich and influential you are. A man can just wake up tomorrow and drive away his wife from home or divorce her and she's left with nothing to survive on but any case of divorce here you split your wealth into two. Without sentiments, I want to believe that you would agree that most of these things are inhumane to the women-gender and more so stemming from gender inequality ideology. The western world has her own flaws like every part of the world but African women are being oppressed undeservedly in the domestic fronts and hence my reason for concurring to the struggle of gender equality as opposed by the op.

I reiterate that I wouldn't wants to have myself and wife have almost same marital rights but that doesn't make it right. The gap between men and women in Nigeria needs to be bridged.
Not what you think, but it is well
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 7:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
Every woman want freedom but few of them achieved it
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by Aitee1: 7:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
sam4: Every woman want freedom but few of them achieved it

angry angry angry
Re: Claim Gender Equality In Nigeria And Be Singer For Life by sam4(m): 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
Aitee1:

angry angry angry
Lol u

(1) (Reply)

Another Definition Of Man & Wife In Marriage! / 3 Great Signs She Likes You / How Do I Tell Her..?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.