Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,455 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! (3364 Views)

Buhari Meets With Saraki, Others In Aso Rock After Independence Event / Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward / SHOCKING! Solomon Lar, Ex-gov Dies A Pauper…why He Lives In Rented Flats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by lionduke(m): 7:07am On Sep 28, 2014
Many Nigerians would like to think that
having a job in the Presidential Villa would be
the opportunity to avail oneself of his/her
share of the national cake. That, however, is
not the case with the presidential steward, Mr.
Micheal Onuh, who lives in a rented apartment
on the outskirts of Nasarawa State and
survives on two hours sleep daily.
He has served different heads of state and
presidents for 30 years as a steward. He
started his work with Shehu Shagari,
witnessed the coup d’tat of Major- General
Muhammadu Buhari and General Ibrahim
Babangida. He prepared the table of the
interim government of Ernest Shonekan and
witnessed the brutality reign of General Sani
Abacha. He was also at the Villa when General
Abdulsalami Abubakar handed over power to
the Civilian reign of Olusegun Obasanjo in
The intrigues and drama of the Umaru Musa
Yar Adua’s administration did not deter him
from doing his work.
At present, he is the head of presidential
stewards at Aso Villa. One would expect
someone who is very close to power to have
some of its trappings, but the 59-year-old
lives in a rented apartment at Karu, Nasarawa
State.
In spite of his rare dedication to duty, the
father of four children admits that he faces a
challenge in his job, and also has regret. “The
regret I have is that for someone that has
been working for his country for over 30 years,
it is not good that I don’t have my own
accommodation. I live at the outskirts of the
city (in Karu, Nasarawa State) in a rented
house,” he confessed.
“My greatest challenge is coming all the way
to work from a very far distance every day.
Waking up by 3am to be at work and closing
in the early hours of the morning only to be
back again very early to work is a big
challenge for me.”
The Cable, quoting Villascope, an in-house
magazine of the State House, said the native
of Kogi State maintains a strict code of not
asking for favours because it is against the
ethics of his job.
“I cannot approach anybody for anything. We
are trained not to beg anybody for anything.
Do your job and leave everything to God,” he
said.
Describing Onuh, Villascope wrote: “Quiet but
unassuming, Micheal Onuh has seen it all.
From the first executive president of Nigeria,
Alhaji Shehu Shagari to Dr Goodluck
Jonathan, he has been in the inner recesses of
power attending to the domestic needs of the
first family of the most populous and powerful
black nation in the world.”
Meanwhile, in the 2014 budget, the Presidency
had allocations of about N108.2 billion ($650
million). About N200 million was allocated for
the provision of foodstuffs/catering supplies
while it plans to expend another N162,556,500
on meals and refreshments for the year.
For honorarium and sitting allowances, the
Presidency allocated N320 million with the
sum of N33.8 million set aside for the office of
the Vice-President to take care of his foodstuff
and catering supplies as well as meals and
refreshments in the year.
Recall that N34.5m was budgeted for two
animals for the Villa Zoo.
Onuh loves his job, which, he says, has given
him much exposure. He has visited the United
States, Libya, Venuzuela and Jerusalem, to
name just a few. “I have always derived
pleasure in serving others. It also brings one
close to the people that matter,” he said.
“I am happy to take care of the people that
serve the nation. It means a lot to me. I
believe it is my contribution to my fatherland
to be in charge of taking care of the little stuff
of the presidents.” Onuh, the longest-serving
staff member at the Presidential Villa, will be
bestowed with the honour of Member of the
Order of the Niger.
Onuh will join 306 other Nigerians and friends
of Nigeria to be conferred with National
Honours Award on Monday, September 29,
2014, at the International Conference Centre,
Abuja.
The man who many call the pauper in the villa
will stand on the same podium with the Chief
of Staff, service chiefs, the acting Inspector-
General of Police, eight governors, nine
ministers, captains of industry, politicians and
traditional rulers.

7 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by lionduke(m): 7:07am On Sep 28, 2014
And he has been given a house in Abuja
GEJ Truly cares... Fresh air till 2019.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by tempest01(m): 7:12am On Sep 28, 2014
Dah...na him wan be pauper

3 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Randerl: 7:16am On Sep 28, 2014
angry
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 28, 2014
But GEJ has the right to steal $20 billion for tan and bribery and launder another $9.3m while under his nose,a faithful steward is still poor. So how did he cut poverty by 50% in nigeria then? wicked man

5 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Enoquin(f): 7:20am On Sep 28, 2014
Okay? undecided Is Aso Rock a place for enrichment? The man lives in a rented apartment, is too proud to ask for extra benefits, that is okay in my opinion.
The only problem with this piece is his lamentation of not owning his house. How much is he being paid? Is he going to say he has not even a plot of land? Serving for 30 years especially before the property boom in Abuja. Didn't ask for extra but couldn't ask for even a loan?
I congratulate him on his award but he isn't a pauper.

10 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by chibwike(m): 7:29am On Sep 28, 2014
interesting
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Mogidi: 7:37am On Sep 28, 2014
diluminati: But GEJ has the right to steal $20 billion for tan and bribery and launder another $9.3m while under his nose,a faithful steward is still poor. So how did he cut poverty by 50% in nigeria then? wicked man

People like you don't deserve replies but am making an exception this time. In your hastily prepared and jaundiced opinion you forgot the part that states the man has worked there for 30yrs.

You alleged the president did not cut poverty by 50% but by going through your profile, one is left in no doubt that only Jesus Christ can reduce your own poverty.

You suffer not just material poverty but intellectual poverty.

11 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by McWhillion(m): 7:48am On Sep 28, 2014
Fellow nairalanders, I want some of us to go on a tour to the Villa zoo in Aso rock, our mission is to ask the two animals what kind of food, clothing, furniture and cars they used #34.5M for grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by ThankGodEdeh(m): 8:03am On Sep 28, 2014
Is the man not being paid his monthly salary? What is this lamentation all about? As long as his entitlements are always given to him, I think he should blame himself for his failures

3 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by bolaino(m): 8:09am On Sep 28, 2014
God Bless you sir steward for your devout service to your father land.
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by bolaino(m): 8:11am On Sep 28, 2014
McWhillion: Fellow nairalanders, I want some of us to go on a tour to the Villa zoo in Aso rock, our mission is to ask the two animals what kind of food, clothing, furniture and cars they used #34.5M for grin
haba, why are you asking this kind of question na, you no know say the animals food na from overseas dem dey fly am come? You suppose know say na chattered flight dey bring the two animals food for dem everyday.

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 28, 2014
Why is he lamenting?

What work for 30 years in a place,and yet he claimed nothing to show for it.

If your income cannot guarantee your expected standard of living,quit the job early.

6 Likes

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Cliqloaded(m): 8:45am On Sep 28, 2014
Next topic... Kip it up nairaland
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by XketchDesigns(m): 8:51am On Sep 28, 2014
I have watched the American version of this guy in a Hollywood movie.

It's an amazing movie "the butler" he served 8 presidents.

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by sarutobie(m): 8:51am On Sep 28, 2014
diluminati: But GEJ has the right to steal $20 billion for tan and bribery and launder another $9.3m while under his nose,a faithful steward is still poor. So how did he cut poverty by 50% in nigeria then? wicked man
looked at your profile and I found out you are suffering from extreme paranoia coupled with an escalating mental deficiency syndrome...seek help ASAP.
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by XketchDesigns(m): 9:07am On Sep 28, 2014
Enoquin: The man lives in a rented apartment, is too proud to ask for extra benefits
If you read the piece you will know it's not allowed for them to do that, they are like a combination of ghost and robots. Do what your job and never never NEVER indulge in conversation. Only talk when you are spoken to and keep your answers short and precise.

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by XketchDesigns(m): 9:12am On Sep 28, 2014
Yomieluv: Why is he lamenting?

What work for 30 years in a place,and yet he claimed nothing to show for it.

If your income cannot guarantee your expected standard of living,quit the job early.
There's two words you should look up in the dictionary "hope" and "faith"
Wonder if everybody was a quieter as you suggested, would you have the luxury of using a cell phone today or an airplane, the electricity, Internet or anything for that matter.
If seun had the ideology you preaching now in 2005 you wouldn't be making this post here now, would you?

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 28, 2014
sarutobie:
looked at your profile and I found out you are suffering from extreme paranoia coupled with an escalating mental deficiency syndrome...seek help ASAP.

so you go around with vaseline and soap in one hand checking out girls profile. hope you have eja-cula-ted well enough
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 28, 2014
Mogidi:

People like you don't deserve replies but am making an exception this time. In your hastily prepared and jaundiced opinion you forgot the part that states the man has worked there for 30yrs.

You alleged the president did not cut poverty by 50% but by going through your profile, one is left in no doubt that only Jesus Christ can reduce your own poverty.

You suffer not just material poverty but intellectual poverty.

You are not worthy of a reply but i'll make an exception in your case, you Fool! have a nice day
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by sarutobie(m): 9:24am On Sep 28, 2014
diluminati:

so you go around with vaseline and soap in one hand checking out girls profile. hope you have eja-cula-ted well enough
as if an ugly transgender like you will have the 'balls' to put your dishevelled picture..your demented online posts are what I am making reference to..go get help you bimbo!
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 28, 2014
I blame him for that! Where was he when Civil Servants were being given apartments in Garki Area 1 and 2?
During Obj's tenure, the apartments were sold off to the occupants and they pay as little as N20000 instalmentally every month. Some of them sold theirs as much as N20 million, settled the government and used the rest to build houses of their choice. Is he expecting the President to give him a mansion in Maitama for free?cheesy
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 28, 2014
XketchDesigns:
There's two words you should look up in the dictionary "hope" and "faith"
Wonder if everybody was a quieter as you suggested, would you have the luxury of using a cell phone today or an airplane, the electricity, Internet or anything for that matter.
If seun had the ideology you preaching now in 2005 you wouldn't be making this post here now, would you?
you are getting me wrong,I kicked against his lamentation,after spending 30 years.

We are all hopeful in our endeavors,anything short of that,switch work.

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by MisterLongman(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2014
Looking for awuuf package..... How can you work for 30 years without nothing to show for it...... Even some 30 years old guys have made it already

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:09am On Sep 28, 2014
Enoquin: Okay? undecided Is Aso Rock a place for enrichment? The man lives in a rented apartment, is too proud to ask for extra benefits, that is okay in my opinion.
The only problem with this piece is his lamentation of not owning his house. How much is he being paid? Is he going to say he has not even a plot of land? Serving for 30 years especially before the property boom in Abuja. Didn't ask for extra but couldn't ask for even a loan?
I congratulate him on his award but he isn't a pauper.
u be mumu, and u be fool. Why are u writing another script for the man aside wot he has said.
Na u sell the land for him abi?
And if u read the piece, u will see the reason why he cldnt ask for favours. It's very far from pride as u've decided to biliv. Ode
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Enoquin(f): 10:09am On Sep 28, 2014
XketchDesigns:
If you read the piece you will know it's not allowed for them to do that, they are like a combination of ghost and robots. Do what your job and never never NEVER indulge in conversation. Only talk when you are spoken to and keep your answers short and precise.

I did read the piece and it is not allowed to beg in his tribe. That scenario you just described is something that might be done in the western world but not here. The only people that might be ghosts are low placed cleaners and cooks that never come out of the kitchen.
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Enoquin(f): 10:15am On Sep 28, 2014
Slidewaxie that has his signature as psalm 23, please refrain from insulting me. If you cannot put your point(s) across without insults, please don't quote me.

SLIDEwaxie: u be mumu, and u be fool. Why are u writing another script for the man aside wot he has said.
Na u sell the land for him abi?
And if u read the piece, u will see the reason why he cldnt ask for favours. It's very far from pride as u've decided to biliv. Ode
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by philantoxx(m): 10:43am On Sep 28, 2014
is he not paid his salary?if GEJ decides to give him a house some touts will still label it corruption.
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 28, 2014
Some people are so poor that all they have is money. In my opinion the man is not poor but he is tempted by the sleaze and corruption that happen around him everyday. He wants to be one of the Lords of the town. He should consider himself lucky in this regard; from Shagari to Yar'adua, have come and gone. They have lost their jobs and re located to their native agrarian, but he remains in the Villa -in the service of his fatherland -(this might not make sense to our money - hungry society).

Money can buy one a bed, but can it buy sleep? Contentment is the key word in life. Those you wish to be like also have problems in their life and wish to be like others.

1 Like

Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by pappyrose(f): 11:26am On Sep 28, 2014
It's not anybody's fault. Whatever position u are and chose to remain in life is a function of ur own decision. He chose to remain a pauper. It's his fault.
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by gbadexy(m): 11:46am On Sep 28, 2014
This man shouldn't have granted this interview. He would have been better off being unknown.
Now everybody knows who is in charge of the president's meal.
I doubt if the president would be comfortable with that knowledge.
Re: The President’s Steward: A Pauper In Aso Rock! by Henrypraise: 12:31pm On Sep 28, 2014
D kweshun dat came to my mind is: If he has bin trained not to beg n ask 4 favours, y ar we readin his story?

My answer: the journalist/ paparazzi/ paper is tryn to get popular n score cheap points, also makin reference to budgets n animals in d villa.

The mans story must av bin written out of context (I knw wat journalists can do), I tink he shud sue d paper.

Lastly, I tink d man must be a very honest n gentle man, dats y he is leaving only on his salary.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS! National Assembly Election Results: Tinubu Reacts / Solution To The Biafra Issue / (photo) Current Environmental Situation Of Ariaria International Market Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.