Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,874 members, 7,956,300 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:27 AM

Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) (21872 Views)

Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / Black Rhino, Dangote Conclude Plans To Invest $10bn In Kano, South East IPP / Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by semitunde: 4:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Pls explain further

Especially on your view of economic position and religion

I'm not an economist, I go by common sense and experience.

The primary and most important factor in guaging economies intrinsically, is the living population. Living population isnclude humans, plants and animals(as farms or livestock). If you have these, you can not only grow an economy, you can more importantly, sustain it.

Therefore all what intelligent economies do is to do what will make people come over. Or do things with their land to improve planting and rearing (basically).

Dubai was built with the aim of attracting people to stay there on the short, medium to long term. To make this happen they used what they had, arid land and loads of money. Massive constructions, attracting thousands immediately, ensured the place would be needing everything we are discussing here immediately. But to make sure the projects were not pipe dreams after the constructions were over that needed to make sure those structure were put to use and /or continue building other structures. That is why Dubai is being sold as a tourist destination, probably harder that other places. They are still having their issues, many building s are still empty without buyers.

Coming to anambra, I'm using anambra because chino had limited the scope-many indigenes don't stay at home. Nothing is really out of the ordinary that forces Igbo to actually go home. The east is not very strong on land availability so farming and livestock management is limited. What is left for its sustenance is its people, actually staying there.

What can make people come and stay is continuous large scale industrialisation or large scale construction or large scale value chained agriculture. The last has limitations as I mentioned above but the first two are possible- with a unifying factor.

Someone said the igbo are cuturaly and religiously homogeneous. I beg to disagree. Igbos are homogeneous only when expedient. The mist homogenous Igbo group is the individual family unit, every other group is an alliance of expedience. I know many will disagree and go emotional but looking in, that's the picture. The pull of whichever alliance an Igbo is in is quite strong as he tries to out his energy into the project. If Igbo can get a good leader to rally round- one trusted and respected by other ethnic groups, they will truly be unstoppable.

Right now they are not decided yet or should I say, they don't have a clear thought out plan for sustainable development. Hotels and malls are good, but those are supposed to serve the people who are already attracted/attached to the place.

Ibadan has all what anambra has but ibadan's selling point is its proximity to Lagos and a cheaper alternative. What does anambra have to sway a rich lagosian?

Finally. Discussions I expect here include a high speed train connecting the east to the west and middle belt. So that it becomes easier to take a trip east for omugo or a fishing festival. To take electronic locally made aba shoes to the north etc.

The best bet for a sustainable east is in coorooration with other parts, through an articulate trusted intelligent leader.

Shalom

PS. Typing from a phone. Excuse any errors.

2 Likes

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by londoner: 4:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
It is good that there is investment. However, judging by the pics,the SE really needs to give attention to roads, pavements etc.There needs to be a befitiing and pleasing environent for the coming hotels and malls.

Clean and, well marked, beautfied roads are a MUST. they need to start really doing something to give the place a complete facelift.

1 Like

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by oneeast3: 4:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
You got it all wrong on the resident population. Anambra is the most cosmopolitan state in the SE today. Am very much aware that resident population in Anambra will not be anything less than 7million if not up to 10million today. Yes, I mean resident population including visitors and their host. Just like Lagos or Rivers economy is not dominated by only Lagos indigenes or Rivers indigenes, it is the same way Anambra economy is not dominated by only Anambrans only, though they own good proportion of it. The population has even grown bigger due to returnees from the north and other parts of the country where where there is Boko Haram menace.

semitunde:

The primary and most important factor in guaging economies intrinsically, is the living population. Living population isnclude humans, plants and animals(as farms or livestock). If you have these, you can not only grow an economy, you can more importantly, sustain it.

Therefore all what intelligent economies do is to do what will make people come over. Or do things with their land to improve planting and rearing (basically).

Dubai was built with the aim of attracting people to stay there on the short, medium to long term. To make this happen they used what they had, arid land and loads of money. Massive constructions, attracting thousands immediately, ensured the place would be needing everything we are discussing here immediately. But to make sure the projects were not pipe dreams after the constructions were over that needed to make sure those structure were put to use and /or continue building other structures. That is why Dubai is being sold as a tourist destination, probably harder that other places. They are still having their issues, many building s are still empty without buyers.

Coming to anambra, I'm using anambra because chino had limited the scope-many indigenes don't stay at home. Nothing is really out of the ordinary that forces Igbo to actually go home. The east is not very strong on land availability so farming and livestock management is limited. What is left for its sustenance is its people, actually staying there.

Will continue later, BATERY low. Sorry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by standupguy(m): 5:47pm On Sep 29, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Yes but don't forget that lots of imported products will be sold which will lead to indirect capital flight if they are own by foreigners and we don't have shares in them.

So I will advice we simultaneously stir up our industrialization effort if we want to fill those malls with our products and prevent capital flight out of SE region

Hotels have always been a boom in the south east, hotels are a low risk and low employment investments which mostly owned by individuals.
What we need more in the south east is industrialization and capital commerce which will reduce migration.
Electric Power is the root of our unemployment in this country, with power we can easily harness our environment to produce whatever we need, thereby increasing industrialization, reducing importation and increasing employment.
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:58pm On Sep 29, 2014
semitunde:

Will continue later, BATERY low. Sorry.

Nonsense, have you been to the east?
People are not into large scale commercial farming because igbos are not interested in farming yet, has nothing to do with land. Farmland is not a problem in the east
For anambra to Be the second largest density in Nigeria means that there is sth keeping people.
A state that is one of the 5 that controls 90% of our cash volume and 3rd in bank deposits, number of commercial banks, has more than you envisaged

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by standupguy(m): 6:02pm On Sep 29, 2014
Any anambrian who doesn't see the potential and future in Anambra state has to look again.
As an Anambrian born and raised in Aba Abia, Anambra remains my choice for future investments.
That is why I need to be politically active and aware to be sure we vote in good governance for continuity to avoid what is going on in Abia extending to Anambra
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by oneeast3: 6:03pm On Sep 29, 2014
Does he know that the same Anambra is the 3rd largest cash mobilization state in the country after Lagos and Rivers? If only he knows that, then he will understand how much money that is in the state.

InyinyaAgbaOku:

Nonsense, have you been to the east?
People are not into large scale commercial farming because igbos are not interested in farming yet, has nothing to do with land. Farmland is not a problem in the east
For anambra to Be the second largest density in Nigeria means that there is sth keeping people.
A state that is one of the 5 that controls 90% of our cash volume and 3rd in bank deposits, number of commercial banks, has more than you envisaged

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:08pm On Sep 29, 2014
standupguy:

Hotels have always been a boom in the south east, hotels are a low risk and low employment investments which mostly owned by individuals.
What we need more in the south east is industrialization and capital commerce which will reduce migration.
Electric Power is the root of our unemployment in this country, with power we can easily harness our environment to produce whatever we need, thereby increasing industrialization, reducing importation and increasing employment.

Hospitality industry is also a type of industry.
I don't think the east is lacking in industrialization esp indigenous ones.
We need more infrastructures and electricity, using Aba as an eg.
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by IGBOSON1: 6:13pm On Sep 29, 2014
chinasaekpere: aba

^^^I wish all of Aba looked like this!
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by standupguy(m): 6:34pm On Sep 29, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Hospitality industry is also a type of industry.
I don't think the east is lacking in industrialization esp indigenous ones.
We need more infrastructures and electricity, using Aba as an eg.

Aba started off very very well but like you said poor infrastructure, power and anti people policy's has kept the city from growing.
My father used to be a major distributor of philips electronics assembled in Aba in the 70s.
I have an uncle too who had more than 5 factories in Aba in the 70s up till the mid 90s, factories making (crown cock for nbl, nails for carpenters,processing of plastics raw materials, make shoe sole, and assembling electronics). All factories are dead today but only one.

Like you said hospitality is an industry of its own but i am talking about that man in ariaria making shoes refining his products to world class expanding to an industrial scale.

1 Like

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by asha80(m): 6:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
standupguy:

Aba started off very very well but like you said poor infrastructure, power and anti people policy's has kept the city from growing.
My father used to be a major distributor of philips electronics assembled in Aba in the 70s.
I have an uncle too who had more than 5 factories in Aba in the 70s up till the mid 90s, factories making (crown cock for nbl, nails for carpenters,processing of plastics raw materials, make shoe sole, and assembling electronics). All factories are dead today but only one.

Like you said hospitality is an industry of its own but i am talking about that man in ariaria making shoes refining his products to world class expanding to an industrial scale.
t a orji no dey see u
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 6:58pm On Sep 29, 2014
standupguy:

you are right
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by cjrane: 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2014
standupguy:

Aba used to be the premier city in the SE. In 1994, i saw a report that ranked Aba as one of the greatest upcoming industrial cities in Africa.
Sam Mbakwe and other great men that helped build Asa road, PH road etc in the city will be turning in their grave about what Aba has been abandoned to become today.

I wish Abia state will vote in a strong visionary governor that will tackle the rot in Aba and regain her lost glory. The period of military rule did not favor Aba's development at all. The Worst period have been since 1999, Aba has had a raw deal in the hands of the Orjis.

4 Likes

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by christopher123(m): 7:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
I JUST DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE THINK LIKe this ...when is it an offence to build malls and hotels ...dubai today is more of a mall and hotel and why do they think that there are no industrial devrloprmenys in east

I am so impressed with this and this has shown that east aint village as some oily headed monkeys will think and I feel so proud that we are combining tourism with industrialist mentalist of us then with education

I am too igbotic
Haters are too idiotic

4 Likes

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by Descartes: 7:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
OkijaAmaka: The media boom in Anambra is very impressive, Anambra hhas like 7 TV stateions and uncountable radio stations
TV stations;
NTA AWKA
NTA ONITSHA
NTA NNEWI
ABS ONITSHA
ABS AWKA
SILVERBIRD TV
MINAJ TV

Radion stations are just tooooooooooo many

ABS AWKA
ABS ONITSHA
SAPIENZA
PURITY FM
UNIZIK
That Emeka Offor at Oraifite
Madonna
they are just too muc

You forgot the one and only sports radio "BRILA FM" at 3-3 Onitsha.
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by IGBOSON1: 7:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
Just don't know why Abia has been so unlucky with the kind of politicians they've had since 1999! sad

I think part of the problem is the kind of politics we used to practice in this country where greedy godfathers, thugs and charlatans masquerading as man-of-the-people type politicians....all these unsavoury characters have held sway in most of our states, while the true technocrats and those with vision have either been sidelined or just refused to sully their good name and reputation in the sewer that partisan-politics has become in Nigeria! Thankfully though things are starting to change, and hopefully Abia state will get it right in 2015!

2 Likes

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by passion007: 7:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
chinasaekpere: umuahia is a city to cool your stress and chilax.

Chai.
First picture is BCA road, around Latinos Bar.
Second pic is Bank Road, just opposite FMC Umuahia.
Correct?
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by BlackTechnology: 8:03pm On Sep 29, 2014
standupguy:

You are right

But

Don't forget that even if electricity is constant, it is people that will still establish industries to curtail unemployment.

This is why there is unemployment in advanced nations that have constant electricity

'
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by semitunde: 8:09pm On Sep 29, 2014
For all who mentioned me. I've finished what I was trying to post earlier. Check my modified previous post.

Its not an attack. Just private submissions. It should be viewed as such.
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by Descartes: 8:09pm On Sep 29, 2014
Balkan: Please why am I not seeing brown Roofs?
Biafra is not a Region of Brown Roof Republic. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by fairheven: 8:12pm On Sep 29, 2014
semitunde: Nice pictures. I hope that one day, my igbo people will learn the art of sophistry gleaned from moderation and constraint.

Its OK to be enthusiastic and happy about new developments but it leaves a sour taste when it doesn't go beyond being vainglorious.

I have noticed the way the spider888 guy has answered questions for instance without inciting malice. I think more Igbo should learn and adopt that style. You all agree you need more people like him.

Its becoming an accepted norm that Igbo are emotionally violent, many on this forum add vent to this. Its usually passed of as being competitive, but you only realise the folly of such thoughts when the violence is wrought amongst yourselves.

Its going to be great for everyone if the east can develop rapidly. This will force a change in some areas that will require better discussion elsewhere though.
Daalu!!

True talk! For sure we can be More humble,my Eastern brothers in particular an Nigerians at large(especially the three dominant tribes)it a well-knwn facts that the Jews controles American political,industrial,scientific and economic landscape,yet you will never hear them bragging about it..a. Friend was telling how most of the skyscrapers in wall-street and Manhattan are owned by Israelis who live in a self-contain in the same building,but one will never get to know if u are not told.I mean,nations are moving forward..Indian just became the only fourth nation to orbit the planet-Mars,an we are here beefing one another for no just cause,why can't we just grow up and work towards the development of every single zone of the country.humility in greatness : cool

2 Likes

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by semitunde: 8:47pm On Sep 29, 2014
fairheven:

True talk! For sure we can be More humble,my Eastern brothers in particular an Nigerians at large(especially the three dominant tribes)it a well-knwn facts that the Jews controles American political,industrial,scientific and economic landscape,yet you will never hear them bragging about it..a. Friend was telling how most of the skyscrapers in wall-street and Manhattan are owned by Israelis who live in a self-contain in the same building,but one will never get to know if u are not told.I mean,nations are moving forward..Indian just became the only fourth nation to orbit the planet-Mars,an we are here beefing one another for no just cause,why can't we just grow up and work towards the development of every single zone of the country.humility in greatness : cool

My exact thoughts
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
oneeast3: There is a lot of progress on the project. You noticed the resort was expanded. There is serious work ongoing on the mall and resort as can be see there in the pix..

Yea,its been expanded and I think another contractor took over.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by passion007: 9:49pm On Sep 29, 2014
semitunde: Nice pictures. I hope that one day, my igbo people will learn the art of sophistry gleaned from moderation and constraint.

Its OK to be enthusiastic and happy about new developments but it leaves a sour taste when it doesn't go beyond being vainglorious.

I have noticed the way the spider888 guy has answered questions for instance without inciting malice. I think more Igbo should learn and adopt that style. You all agree you need more people like him.
Yes, he is a refined gentleman through and through. Many Igbos are really like that, save for a few bad eggs who insist on giving the ethnic group a bad name. The typical Igbo is a bridge builder, constantly extending the proverbial handshake across the Niger.

Its becoming an accepted norm that Igbo are emotionally violent, many on this forum add vent to this. Its usually passed of as being competitive, but you only realise the folly of such thoughts when the violence is wrought amongst yourselves.

Its going to be great for everyone if the east can develop rapidly. This will force a change in some areas that will require better discussion elsewhere though.

Daalu!!
This is really why I chose to reply you. I can relate with the context in which these observations were made, and I assure you the Igbos have their emotion in check. The Igbos are great thinkers and philosophers, driven by principle and morals. Not everyone with an Igbo-soundalike name is actually Igbo. An Igbo man thinks deeply and speaks little. Even Ozodi Osuji, for all his controversial works, is a thorough and conscientious thinker.
Your suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to visit this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east
It's clean and civil.
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by 100Cents: 9:58pm On Sep 29, 2014
asha80: so according to you being in the news whether good or bad means nothing is happening there abi?have you being there?mehn enough of this egoistical and ignorant comments

You must not agree with me.

Ebony is the most backward state in Igbo land..
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by passion007: 10:05pm On Sep 29, 2014
chinasaekpere: correct man. You stay in umuahia?

Yes o.
In fact, small thing remain make you snap my house for Bende Rd.
grin grin
Re: Hotel And Mall Craze Sweeps South East Nigeria (pics) by semitunde: 10:08pm On Sep 29, 2014
passion007:
Yes, he is a refined gentleman through and through. Many Igbos are really like that, save for a few bad eggs who insist on giving the ethnic group a bad name. The typical Igbo is a bridge builder, constantly extending the proverbial handshake across the Niger.

This is really why I chose to reply you. I can relate with the context in which these observations were made, and I assure you the Igbos have their emotion in check. The Igbos are great thinkers and philosophers, driven by principle and morals. Not everyone with an Igbo-soundalike name is actually Igbo. An Igbo man thinks deeply and speaks little. Even Ozodi Osuji, for all his controversial works, is a thorough and conscientious thinker.
Your suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to visit this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east
It's clean and civil.

Thanks. Will take a look.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Money Gram Exchange Rate / Kolanut Business: You can be a Millionaire within 6 months / Explosion Hit Calabar CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.