Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,263 members, 7,811,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? (14646 Views)

Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 8:07am On Sep 29, 2014
I have often heard and fallen a victim of this circumstance where after one has been asked and congratulated on every aspect of his life, the question is popped
"Are You Married?"

If you say "No" they scream
"What are you waiting for again?"

This often gets to me and leaves me wondering
"Is marriage a measure of success in life?"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ITbomb(m): 9:03am On Sep 29, 2014
A picture of a young man coming out of his car with his smiling family to enter his house represent a responsible and successfully man

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Alubosa: 9:10am On Sep 29, 2014
Marriage is a holy institution within society. Through it we connect and inter-act with society and find meaning, position and purpose of our lives. Thus, the society uses it as a yardstick to measure how succesful a man is.

5 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by esmeralda1(f): 9:29am On Sep 29, 2014
Yes I believe so.
Do you know pple can lose a contract cos he is single?
Being married to some extent mean one is more responsible.

12 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by AfricanApple(f): 10:01am On Sep 29, 2014
normally no

with Nigerian mentality yes

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by TV01(m): 10:19am On Sep 29, 2014
As a goal it is laudable - and if done well a worthwhile achievement and highly commendable.. It has great significance and meaning, and, and is deeply enriching to the couple their families, any offspring and wider society.

A good marriage is a success in it's own right and overall can only enhance and deepen success in other areas of life.

AfricanApple: normally no

Any reasons as to why not?
Or can anyone tellus how a good marriage detracts from lifes joy or indeed hinders success in other areras of life?

TV

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by bebe2(f): 10:34am On Sep 29, 2014
Hmmmm

Not marriage itself, but who u marry can determine ur level of success.

21 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by mysticgal(f): 10:43am On Sep 29, 2014
A person could be said to be successfull not because he is married but how much he put in,to make the marriage succeed and also the work of his hands,that on his deathbed,he will smile and say"i die a fufilled man".I think in my perspective,this person is fufilled.
i like happy endings smiley

3 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by zeb04(f): 10:49am On Sep 29, 2014
It depends on your definition of success.

Marriage is only a success if it gives you happiness and peace of mind.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 11:01am On Sep 29, 2014
ITbomb: A picture of a young man coming out of his car with his smiling family to enter his house represent a responsible and successfully man

What if they're frowning? grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 11:05am On Sep 29, 2014
bebe2: Hmmmm

Not marriage itself, but who u marry can determine ur level of success.

U make sense here

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 11:08am On Sep 29, 2014
mysticgal: A person could be said to be successfull not because he is married but how much he put in,to make the marriage succeed and also the work of his hands,that on his deathbed,he will smile and say"i die a fufilled man".I think in my perspective,this person is fufilled.
i like happy endings smiley

Is it only marriages that gives a happy ending? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by mysticgal(f): 11:11am On Sep 29, 2014
korel9:

Is it only marriages that gives a happy ending? undecided
no,just that i like happy endings.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 29, 2014
Yes in our society.

They believe a married man is a responsible man,and a responsible man is likely to be successful.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by amtheone(m): 11:21am On Sep 29, 2014
AfricanApple: normally no

Can u explain further by your above statement(Nigerian mentality)
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ifyalways(f): 12:06pm On Sep 29, 2014
No, it's not.

Having a life, living it and loving life is the greatest success, IMO.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 12:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
Yomieluv: Yes in our society.

They believe a married man is a responsible man,and a responsible man is likely to be successful.

Is it in all cases that this is obtained?
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 29, 2014
ifyalways: No, it's not.

Having a life, living it and loving life is the greatest success, IMO.

Completely agree.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 2:13pm On Sep 29, 2014
amtheone:

Can u explain further by your above statement(Nigerian mentality)

You just exhibited one grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by AfricanApple(f): 1:28am On Oct 01, 2014
TV01: As a goal it is laudable - and if done well a worthwhile achievement and highly commendable.. It has great significance and meaning, and, and is deeply enriching to the couple their families, any offspring and wider society.

A good marriage is a success in it's own right and overall can only enhance and deepen success in other areas of life.

Any reasons as to why not?
Or can anyone tellus how a good marriage detracts from lifes joy or indeed hinders success in other areras of life?

TV
though everyone has their opinion and thinks differently but to me it is normally no because you can be single, successful and happy. there are lots of people who are married, poor, childless, no peace in the house etc, how successful can u classify them to be

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ireneidiva(f): 3:31am On Oct 01, 2014
So you are asking if a being married makes you successful in life? Is a married man living in a one bedroom flat with 6 children is successful in life So you mean if you live to be 60 years and in that 60 years all you have to show is marriage, you are automatically successful?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Samiceman: 3:44am On Oct 01, 2014
Well for me, I don't think marriage as a measure of success... I don't need to be married before deemed successful. #teamsingleandhappy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sunnycliff(m): 3:49am On Oct 01, 2014
As far as am concerned, it is o! Marriage failure is as good as life failure! What's success without a home, a happy family and happy home with ones spouse!!

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by FreeWill01: 3:49am On Oct 01, 2014
Those who use marriage as a yardstick for success, really haven't tasted real success in life.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by mesoade(m): 3:57am On Oct 01, 2014
Beware of fraudsters,this space is not for sale
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Austyn44(m): 3:57am On Oct 01, 2014
My greatest success will be to have a happy and loving marriage/family. I will choose it over a Nobel award for discovering the cure to ebola sef.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by louischinedu23: 3:58am On Oct 01, 2014
Some people get married today after 6months they are out . Please is this success . Do it when ready forget family and friends no one comes to your aids when its hard on you .
Happy independence all .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by mesoade(m): 4:00am On Oct 01, 2014
Marriage isn't a measure of sucess,marriage enhances success,

that's if you're with d right woman

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 01, 2014
It depends on how u see marriage. If u value it then it is a success. If u marry just because others marry then u will never regard it as a success.
People are misunderstanding the question. We ain't saying marriage makes one successful. What the question says is if being married counts as one of the things the individual can say he has achieved. I mean being a professor doesnt mean one can't be poor but to that individual he will count attaining thay height as a success.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by INFO70: 4:05am On Oct 01, 2014
He that finds a wife, finds a good thing and obtain favour from the Lord. Marriage activates success. Only when you marry the right person. I am a
a typical example. cool cool

7 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Mintayo(m): 4:14am On Oct 01, 2014
There are so many things one can use to measure success,i think marriage is one of them,a successful marriage though, a home fillled with love and compassion, a home that has a Godly foundation!

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by adexsimply(m): 4:15am On Oct 01, 2014
No

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Couple Seek Help After Losing Four Children In A Fire / Can I Marry and run a family With A Salary Of 120k per month? / Here Are A Few Security Tips In The Light Of The Security Challenge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.