Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,990 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? (14651 Views)

Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:57am On Oct 01, 2014
louischinedu23: Some people get married today after 6months they are out . Please is this success . Do it when ready forget family and friends no one comes to your aids when its hard on you .
Happy independence all .

Of course it is success. At least, they got married. grin grin grin grin

How can you not know that? You are not a simpleton. angry
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 9:00am On Oct 01, 2014
mesoade: Marriage isn't a measure of sucess,marriage enhances success,

that's if you're with d right woman

What about having the right kind and choice of woman when you want, which can be different at different stages of your life and which can also ensure you are with the person that loves you the most in the world at each stage of your life, can that not enhance your success?
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 9:02am On Oct 01, 2014
aisha2: Is Dangote successful?

Is he married?
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by jaybee3(m): 9:04am On Oct 01, 2014
YES for unrepentant, idiotic, brainwashed religious morons

6 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by somsom(f): 9:25am On Oct 01, 2014
esmeralda1: Yes I believe so.
Do you know pple can lose a contract cos he is single?
Being married to some extent mean one is more responsible.

Does that include when a man is forced to marry a girl he impregnated?
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by GOODLIGHT: 9:28am On Oct 01, 2014
Everything about life is step by step.When you are of age to get married people start asking you what are you waiting for.

It reminds me when i finished my SSCE the common question from people was have you entered school(University).

Also when I finshed my NYSC the question then was have you gotten a job?

Question changes as life journey continues

After marriage.if signs of pregnancy does not show immediately,people starting asking the couple too what are you waiting for?

However,don't feel you are a failure if u have delay.

Ones there is life there is hope!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 01, 2014
If you marry right you can never go wrong, yes it is a measure of success because it takes a real man and a real woman with the fear of God and purpose and lots of discipline to make it work.

So its not easy but worth it.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Pdizzle(m): 10:00am On Oct 01, 2014
A good, lasting and fulfilling marriage is an achievement.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Orikinla(m): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2014
[size=18pt]If marriage is a measure of success, then all the billions of married poverty stricken people on earth would not be so poor.

Majority of married couples in developing countries are poor and increasing the liabilities of the society with their problems.

My father married early in one room apartment and died poor and the only will he left was the liabilities of his widow and children.
His illness caused me thousands of naira way back in 1983, the savings meant for me to attend St Aldates College, Oxford and then I had to assist my mother in taking care of my siblings and working professionally from age 18.

I have lost count of the sums of money I have been giving to poor families in Nigeria.
One got N10, 000 and still came back to ask for more money, because one of their sons was arrested by the police and needed money to get him released on bail.
I had to follow one mother to the station to help get her underage son released from detention.
Another one got money to upgrade his trade.
One got money to buy prescribed medication.
The list is endless.
My verdict: POOR PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO MARRY.
90% of the social problems in the world are caused by the poverty of poor couples who breed kids they cannot feed and these kids end up without good education and welfare and become problems to the rest of the society.[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 01, 2014
_
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ONYEBALL: 10:38am On Oct 01, 2014
Guess who's back8-).
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by oseo1(m): 10:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Getting married is easy, anyone can marry, it's how happy you are at the end of the day that matters, for some people they have money and success in their careers but do not feel fulfilled, for others they are married but do not have fulfilling careers, at the end of the day neither of them feels successful so I think success should be measured on an individual level. We are all different and have different motivations in life, so what's good for the goose might not be good for the gander.

With that said I do not think everyone should get married just because society says so, know what works for you and live your life accordingly.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by SeverusSnape(m): 10:56am On Oct 01, 2014
I don't believe marriage is a yard stick to measure success. Besides, marriage can't guarantee happiness. It's an African ideology to think that being married is being successful.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by TV01(m): 10:59am On Oct 01, 2014
Sagamite: Surprisingly, this is actually the most sensible thing said so far. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thank you. You do know I'm the "Marriage Man" grin!
Have you found anyone worthy yet. It would be nice to be able to pencil in a date for next summer cheesy!

TV
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 11:02am On Oct 01, 2014
TV01:
Thank you. You do know I'm the "Marriage Man" grin!
Have you found anyone worthy yet. It would be nice to be able to pencil in a date for next summer cheesy!

TV

Waa pe nbe. (You go wait long)

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Pencil it down for August 2027. grin
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by TV01(m): 11:02am On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: though everyone has their opinion and thinks differently but to me it is normally no because you can be single, successful and happy. there are lots of people who are married, poor, childless, no peace in the house etc, how successful can u classify them to be

Answered below (thanks again Saga);

Sagamite:

I can't see anywhere where he said you cannot be single, successful and happy.

Nor did he say marriage was a superior model.

He just stated how marriage might be a good thing if done right.

Not sure you read and understood my post or gave much thought to your own before responding. But the bar is low, you got 2 likes

TV

Saga are you going to respond to everyone on this thread? grin
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 11:03am On Oct 01, 2014
jaybee3: YES for unrepentant, idiotic, brainwashed religious morons

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 11:04am On Oct 01, 2014
somsom:

Does that include when a man is forced to marry a girl he impregnated?

Of course that is success.

.................to fcktards. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by hadleyk: 11:05am On Oct 01, 2014
society has groomed us to think it is but it really isn't
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by AfricanApple(f): 11:33am On Oct 01, 2014
Sagamite:

I can't see anywhere where he said you cannot be single, successful and happy.

Nor did he say marriage was a superior model.

He just stated how marriage might be a good thing if done right.
neither did he state anything, he asked a question and I answered he asked for explanation and I explained pls show where he stated that marriage might be a good thing if done right.

as far as I'm concern marriage is not and never will be a measure for success

like someone said, a married man with 6 children in one room living in hell of poverty, can u call that success?
hell no. been successful is living a comfortable life and loving it, been successful is setting out a goal and achieving it.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by siegfried99(m): 11:34am On Oct 01, 2014
mesoade: Marriage isn't a measure of sucess,marriage enhances success,

that's if you're with d right woman

500 likes
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by AfricanApple(f): 11:35am On Oct 01, 2014
TV01:

Answered below (thanks again Saga);

Not sure you read and understood my post or gave much thought to your own before responding. But the bar is low, you got 2 likes

TV

Saga are you going to respond to everyone on this thread? grin
its obvious u do not understand my own post.

well thank god majority have said it, marriage is not a measure for success in life

and dat shows how much u thrive on likes.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Dcmg(m): 11:40am On Oct 01, 2014
Well,i think everyone should be free to believe what they believe/want to to believe.
As for me,my fulfilment,pleasure and success doesn't depend on marriage.
Service to humanity is what will bring the greatest fulfilment to me,i mean,knowing that what you do is impacting many peoples life positively and adding great value to their lifes;its priceless and a great privilege.
If my marriage would be a barrier to this,then i would be very ready to break that Kind of marriage in 1 second.
I want to die knowing that "Yes i'v done something".But if only what i have to offer in life is only marriage,then i should be ashamed of myself.To me that's a worthless life
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by 2scorehigh(m): 11:51am On Oct 01, 2014
Different strokes for different folks. I'd say it depends on the individual and what he or she or they consider as success.

So for some peeps, marriage is it! For some others it's quite overrated.

But for me, it's simply just one of those things. The way I see it, if you like you marry; if you like don't marry. Life goes on...
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ZERKNICHTER(m): 12:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
i think the marriage thing is overrated
my parents are living togather since 40 years without being married and some people divorce after a year
Marriage is just signing a piece of paper
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by krisboy(m): 12:36pm On Oct 01, 2014
If u ask me, na who I go ask??
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by koning: 12:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: normally no

with Nigerian mentality yes

Nothing to do with "Nigerian mentality" . What the Op said is applicable to almost everywhere in the world. Including the US, UK and Europe. The whole of Asia and South America.

Try getting a visitors Visa in any embassy in Nigeria as a single man or woman. It's 10x more difficult.
Being married gives you an edge every where in the world. Being married with children tripples your credibilty.

You die hard feminists should stop blaming Nigeria for all your short commings.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by dasparrow: 12:42pm On Oct 01, 2014
ITbomb: A picture of a young man coming out of his car with his smiling family to enter his house represent a responsible and successfully man

Unfortunately, marriage does NOT make a person responsible. That is a myth and a lie that Nigerians continue to tell themselves. In fact, in Nigeria, marriage is a joke. A big joke!!! Everyday, Nigerian married men are busy sexually harassing single females be it at the office, in the university or wherever. Infidelity in Nigerian marriages is seen as no big deal. The average Nigerian married man does not stick to his marital vows and sleeps around like a male dog on heat.

Just because someone decided to sign the dotted line and invite some friends and family members to eat rice, wedding cake and drink mineral does not mean the person is responsible. There are many Nigerian married men who are NOT providers. They sit at home with their big stomachs looking like they are 9 months pregnant while the wife is out there trying to hustle and provide for the family.

There are many Nigerian married men who have infected their naive and gullible wives with sexually transmitted diseases of all sorts including HIV/AIDS all because they sleep around with university girls and ashawos. They are many married men in Nigeria that are paedophiles that prey on unsuspecting young children and teenagers. Lastly, there are many Nigerian married men who don't even live with their wives and kids under the same roof (The Oyakhilomes anyone?). Husband lives in one country, wife in another. Husband lives in one state and wife in another giving the man the license to cheat and many married Nigerian men love it that way.

So please stop with the Nigerian hypocrisy. I have absolutely no respect for adulterers who marry due to societal pressures yet continue to live a lifestyle meant for bachelors and spinsters.

@Post

How can marriage be considered a measure of success? If marriage were to be measured as a form of success, then why is Nigeria still a developing country considering all the married folks that live within her boundaries? The whites are advancing in technology, science and medicine while the average Nigerian Negro sits there marrying, birthing too many kids like rats that they cannot adequately provide for and then cheating on their spouses with reckless abandonment while deceiving himself (not me) that he is responsible. What a joke!

Abeg next!

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Justhere: 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
Capital NO but, ur definition of success can change the no to yes
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by koning: 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2014
dasparrow:

Unfortunately, marriage does NOT make a person responsible. That is a myth and a lie that Nigerians continue to tell themselves. In fact, in Nigeria, marriage is a joke. A big joke!!! Everyday, Nigerian married men are busy sexually harassing single females be it at the office, in the university or wherever. Infidelity in Nigerian marriages is seen as no big deal. The average Nigerian married man does not stick to his marital vows and sleeps around like a male dog on heat.

Just because someone decided to sign the dotted line and invite some friends and family members to eat rice, wedding cake and drink mineral does not mean the person is responsible. There are many Nigerian married men who are NOT providers. They sit at home with their big stomachs looking like they are 9 months pregnant while the wife is out there trying to hustle and provide for the family.

There are many Nigerian married men who have infected their naive and gullible wives with sexually transmitted diseases of all sorts including HIV/AIDS all because they sleep around with university girls and ashawos. They are many married men in Nigeria that are paedophiles that prey on unsuspecting young children and teenagers. Lastly, there are many Nigerian married men who don't even live with their wives and kids under the same roof (The Oyakhilomes anyone?). Husband lives in one country, wife in another. Husband lives in one state and wife in another giving the man the license to cheat and many married Nigerian men love it that way.

So please stop with the Nigerian hypocrisy. I have absolutely no respect for adulterers who marry due to societal pressures yet continue to live a lifestyle meant for bachelors and spinsters.

@Post

How can marriage be considered a measure of success? If marriage were to be measured as a form of success, then why is Nigeria still a developing country considering all the married folks that live within her boundaries? The whites are advancing in technology, science and medicine while the average Nigerian Negro sits there marrying, birthing too many kids like rats that they cannot adequately provide for and then cheating on their spouses with reckless abandonment while deceiving himself (not me) that he is responsible. What a joke!

Abeg next!

Did you actually understand what the Op posted before posting this your fake intellectual expose. When someone asks if you are married, he is not expecting you to give him minute by minute account of your married life. What goes on in married people's home is not the issue. But the institution itself.
One could have beaten his wife into a coma the night before. But when an organization or an individual pops the question: Are you married? He will simply answer YES. That all that is needed to give that impression of success. Especially when the person appears in corporate attire.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ZERKNICHTER(m): 1:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
koning:

Nothing to do with "Nigerian mentality" . What the Op said is applicable to almost everywhere in the world. Including the US, UK and Europe. The whole of Asia and South America.

Try getting a visitors Visa in any embassy in Nigeria as a single man or woman. It's 10x more difficult.
Being married gives you an edge every where in the world. Being married with children tripples your credibilty.

You die hard feminists should stop blaming Nigeria for all your short commings.

no i think there is a huge difference betwenn nigeria and europe
in germany the yardstick for success is the car u drive, the house u live in the job u do
the peope to associate having a familiy (espcially with 2+ childin) with a boring life without the freedom to do what they want to do and they dont acknowledge the hard work of raising chidren

if u ask a young german guy how he wants his live to be like he will say: be succesfull in the job, earning much money, having as less commitments as possible, travel a lot , having a nice girlfriend, and go out with her at the weekend

the society there looks down on big familys thats why the birth per woman rate in germany is 1.4
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by PrettyPhine(f): 1:24pm On Oct 01, 2014
@ Op. That,s a big myth. Though am single, if I get married tomorrow does not and will not make me more successful and responsible than those who have not. Marriage is not a yardstick for success, morality or being responsible, though people think when you are married u now have more responsibilities, but that does not make people in marriage responsible because a lot of couples have abandoned their matrimonial responsibilities while some do not even know the reasons for marriage. It,s true that our society these days has made married seem the ultimate, but that,s bad.

Meeehnn! I hate it when family members and friends ask me questions like..." when is MR RIGHT coming", "who,s the current guy now?" "when are u calling us?". It,s so so so annoying. I do ask myself, is marriage everything? I just changed my family surname to my dad's name on facebook, and that's when people rem'ber they will and chat me, asking; are u married, so u didnt invite me, is that ur hubby's name, this, that. What NONSENSE!!! I know I will get married someday, but that,s not the peak of success, and that does not make better or more successful than those who are not married. AFTERALL, THERE IS NO MARRIAGE IN HEAVEN. But am not against marriage ooo. Marriage is a good thing but not the piority in life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Couple Seek Help After Losing Four Children In A Fire / Can I Marry and run a family With A Salary Of 120k per month? / Coronavirus Giveaway Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.