Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? (14656 Views)

Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by sammieguze(m): 4:23am On Oct 01, 2014
Yes if you ask me though it is not until you have a very good home. I mean.... A very good one

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Bokoharam: 4:30am On Oct 01, 2014
korel9: I have often heard and fallen a victim of this circumstance where after one has been asked and congratulated on every aspect of his life, the question is popped
"Are You Married?"

If you say "No" they scream
"What are you waiting for again?"

This often gets to me and leaves me wondering
"Is marriage a measure of success in life?"

Yes. Go and marry!
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 5:06am On Oct 01, 2014
Is Dangote successful?

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 01, 2014
yes
not in the western world we dont care embarassed
sad but true
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Suarezilla(m): 6:19am On Oct 01, 2014
Maybe for women it is but for me NO!..Being successful comprises of a lot which a person has achieved over a vast period of his life time. They are goals which has been set to be achieved and finally been achieved, although marriage should be one of those goals.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by begwong: 6:58am On Oct 01, 2014
It is a measure of success if both couple can tolerate/love each other till death do they part not like the weddings of Ini Edo èt al
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by GboyegaD(m): 7:07am On Oct 01, 2014
Success is all encompassing and each individual defines his/her own.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by korel9: 7:16am On Oct 01, 2014
Bokoharam:

Yes. Go and marry!

I'll rather join you in the anticipation of 7 virgins.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 01, 2014
korel9: I have often heard and fallen a victim of this circumstance where after one has been asked and congratulated on every aspect of his life, the question is popped
"Are You Married?"

If you say "No" they scream
"What are you waiting for again?"

This often gets to me and leaves me wondering
"Is marriage a measure of success in life?"

The question is clear "what are you waiting for again". If one has made enough success that can sustain a marriage, then d question is worth considering.

But d fact is people may just be congratulating you thinking u have made all the success u need not knowing that u still dey struggle for some reasons

Beside only people who are closer would know that u may have been in a relatnship before but jilted and u wanna take ur time in making the right choice

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by xynerise: 7:39am On Oct 01, 2014
ITbomb: A picture of a young man coming out of his car with his smiling family to enter his house represent a responsible and successfully man
That doesn't make him responsible. They may smile today and frown tomorrow. That could be the first time they went out together in years
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by aspirebig: 7:50am On Oct 01, 2014
ITbomb: A picture of a young man coming out of his car with his smiling family to enter his house represent a responsible and successfully man

This is not true in all cases.

@Op, yes, as a black man in Nigeria specifically, marriage is seen as such. In our society, we honour and respect marriage till tomorrow, forget the high rate of divorces you see around, most of them are caused by interference of bad friends and family, living fake lives, no respect for your spouse, incompartibility, lack of money,infidelity,lack of love, lack of tolerance and understanding , lost of job and the woman cannot cope with the new lower lifestyle ...etc.You are accorded more respect after you are married. Your boss respects you more, your colleagues too, your church members, your family, and the society at large. As a matter of fact, in some settings, if you are not married, you cannot occupy certain position.Though in some organisation, it is not an issue.Marriage gives you this air of a responsible fellow. That is why people greet you and ask you, bros how is madam, how is Oga, how is jr, how is baby doing and so on. If you are not married, people will not be asking you all that. Or they will rather ask of your television or car.....lol. So you can see why many regards marriage as success.

I know a man that is smiling with the family, though the couples are graduate, the woman earns more.The man beat the wife, even warned the wife not be be talking to her male colleagues. It is that serious. They have suv, personal house in town, at a point the woman wanted a divorce when they had just their first son. Now they have 3, the woman later give birth to 2 daughters.

Sometime ago, a topic was on Nl that asks " Would you like to marry your spouse again, if given a second chance? I remember the woman saying for her, it is a no, no.

Not all that glitters is gold ooh. It is not by seeing a man smiling with his family , wearing fine clothes in a big jeep, living in a good house, you just conclude that their marriage is successful and they are a happy family.

The hustling of modern day lifestyle is not helping matters in marriage . Our grand parents had fewer riches, lesser money, fame, wealth, houses, cars, education, no six month marriage counselling before wedding, no society wedding where 5 cows were killed for their wedding, no jeeps were used to carry the couples to church, no paying 1 to 2 m naira for a hall for reception, no registry at Ikoyi, no tradition wedding that aso ebi costs 50 to 150k, no dubai, miami, france, ghana, cotonou, SA, paris, london honey moon, no wedding budget of 10m naira,.......the list is endless, yet they were more contended, more lasting marriages, more love, more peace , more tolerance and understanding in marriages, more children...... Then no CS to give birth, no prolonged childless marriages like now, no baby factories in eastern part, no spending millions to have baby...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by miqos02(m): 7:53am On Oct 01, 2014
no
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:03am On Oct 01, 2014
esmeralda1: Yes I believe so.
Do you know pple can lose a contract cos he is single?
Being married to some extent mean one is more responsible.
On marriage making one responsible, I doubt it. It is one thing to be responsible, it is another thing to be responsive. Some people that are not married, though not responsible, are responsive to the needs of their siblings and parents; whereas some that are married and responsible, are not responsive to the needs of their children and wives. They prefer to spend on prostitutes.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by poweredcom(m): 8:06am On Oct 01, 2014
story....explain more abeg aunty....deliverance first...wetin concern marriage
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by RiffRaff: 8:18am On Oct 01, 2014
No! The Nigerian Society wants you to think so.
I dont buy into the BS of if u are not married, it means u are not responsible thats a retarded way of thinking. D reason why so many people are stuck in an unhappy union.
Success is when u achieve ur dreams and u live a happy, fufilled life. Married or Single.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by chlowi(f): 8:23am On Oct 01, 2014
korel9:

What if they're frowning? grin

cheesy this cracked me!!!
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Revolva(m): 8:27am On Oct 01, 2014
Sometimes when I see young chaps like 25 yrs getting married I just dey laff dem..cos that same guy that got married most of them still follow us dey drbabes for hotel n street..look if u know u don't wanna marry early make a descision...ok ave seen a man who did a big wedding if u see money spent on that wedding u go fear...today the woman don run...cos money no dey again....
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:35am On Oct 01, 2014

To a person, it might.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:36am On Oct 01, 2014
Alubosa: Marriage is a holy institution within society. Through it we connect and inter-act with society and find meaning, position and purpose of our lives. Thus, the society uses it as a yardstick to measure how succesful a man is.

If one cannot find meaning, position or purpose to his life without getting into marriage, he needs his head checked.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:37am On Oct 01, 2014

In a person society, that might be the rules.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by ezelous: 8:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Marriage is a success only to those who view it so.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:39am On Oct 01, 2014
TV01: As a goal it is laudable - and if done well a worthwhile achievement and highly commendable.. It has great significance and meaning, and, and is deeply enriching to the couple their families, any offspring and wider society.

A good marriage is a success in it's own right and overall can only enhance and deepen success in other areas of life.

Surprisingly, this is actually the most sensible thing said so far. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:42am On Oct 01, 2014
mysticgal: A person could be said to be successfull not because he is married but how much he put in,to make the marriage succeed and also the work of his hands,that on his deathbed,he will smile and say"i die a fufilled man".I think in my perspective,this person is fufilled.
i like happy endings smiley

Majority of married people die unfulfilled.

They just live a miserable, restricted life.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:42am On Oct 01, 2014
zeb04: It depends on your definition of success.

Marriage is only a success if it gives you happiness and peace of mind.

Well said, girl.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by thosyno63(m): 8:44am On Oct 01, 2014
sorrry, nt just a wyf bt a gud 1
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:45am On Oct 01, 2014
Yomieluv: Yes in our society.

They believe a married man is a responsible man,and a responsible man is likely to be successful.

Thank God by now we know our society is not a sane society and it is full of fcktards. The latter is a knowledge that my missionary work on NL can be highly credited with.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:46am On Oct 01, 2014
ifyalways: No, it's not.

Having a life, living it and loving life is the greatest success, IMO.

Well said, baby.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:50am On Oct 01, 2014
AfricanApple: though everyone has their opinion and thinks differently but to me it is normally no because you can be single, successful and happy. there are lots of people who are married, poor, childless, no peace in the house etc, how successful can u classify them to be

I can't see anywhere where he said you cannot be single, successful and happy.

Nor did he say marriage was a superior model.

He just stated how marriage might be a good thing if done right.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by CoachDX: 8:50am On Oct 01, 2014
Absolutely Yes! . . .and that's if you've got a happy home.
It's a great measure of success.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:53am On Oct 01, 2014
ireneidiva: So you are asking if a being married makes you successful in life? Is a married man living in a one bedroom flat with 6 children is successful in life So you mean if you live to be 60 years and in that 60 years all you have to show is marriage, you are automatically successful?

To fcktards, "YES, he is successful. He is married". undecided

The wonders seen in the minds of gullible, simpleton followers with limited reasoning abilities.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:54am On Oct 01, 2014
Sunnycliff: As far as am concerned, it is o! Marriage failure is as good as life failure! What's success without a home, a happy family and happy home with ones spouse!!

Simpleton.
Re: Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? by Sagamite(m): 8:55am On Oct 01, 2014
FreeWill01: Those who use marriage as a yardstick for success, really haven't tasted real success in life.

Fcking well said.

They are not intellectually equipped to.

They are mugus that have been coached in a certain way just like you coach a monkey to perform in a circus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Couple Seek Help After Losing Four Children In A Fire / Can I Marry and run a family With A Salary Of 120k per month? / Share Some Funny Things You Did As A Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.