Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time - Celebrities (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time (65894 Views)

(photos) Model With The Biggest Hips In Africa Releases New Photos / 5 Reasons Why Don Jazzy Is The Greatest Nigerian Producer / MTV Africa Releases Their List Of Top 20 Greatest Naija Songs Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by naptu2: 9:09am On Oct 06, 2014
Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson - "So Ala Temen", "Yellow Sisi" and "Love Adure".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFilIFOlZe8
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by laudate: 6:25pm On Oct 06, 2014
naptu2:

You don't know Sweet Mother? No mother's day in Nigeria is complete without it.

Each one of those songs was a major hit in Nigeria (number one on many tv and radio charts). They were also hits beyond Nigeria (Sweet Mother, Hello Africa etc were pan african hits. Hello Africa was in the top ten in several European countries). Not only were they hits for their time (that is, the year they were released and a few years afterwards) they remain major hits long afterwards, eg

No mother's day in Nigeria is complete without Sweet Mother. If you doubt me, listen to radio stations the next mother's day and see how many stations will play it.

Hello Africa is perennially associated with Africa. Watch and see if this song is not played at any major event that's associated with Africa (in Africa and europe). It was not only number 1 in Nigeria, but also number 1 in Austria, number 2 in Germany, number 7 in Switzerland and number 1 in many African countries. It was also a top ten hit across Europe.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_Afrika_(song)

Sawale and Baby Jowo are so good that, not only are the originals regularly played on radio, but they've spawned several cover versions (Feladey, Flavour, etc for Sawalele and Art Alade, L.t Shotgun, etc for Baby Jowo). Who would want to cover a crappy song?

These are some of the greatest Nigerian songs ever.

Gbam!! Gbam!!! Gbam!!!! Thank you for educating the clueless, my brother. I was aghast when I saw this MTV Africa's list! shocked

Chai!! shocked Arrant nonsensical compilation, (apologies to Chief Zebrudaya of New Masquerade)!

This is what you get when a TV station hires producers that are under 25 years as well as presenters that just clocked 19, calling them Vee-Jays, or video jockeys. No research, no survey, no tracking, no groundwork! Sheer laziness was exhibited on the part of MTV Africa, when they put out this list. They just rushed to their studio to draft a list of some songs that were launched less than 10 years ago, and their selection was done based on questionable ratings and queer criteria. (only God knows what criteria they used, sef!)

Talking about African songs, where is Mariam Makeba's "Malaika"? undecided How come it didn't make the list? Joromi by Sir Victor Uwaifo, should also have been up there along with Sweet Mother by Prince Nico Mbarga and Omoge by Mike Okri.

What about Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's "Lady"? And Dr. Alban's 'It's My life' shocked

Or even that song by Ivorian Zouglou artists Magic System, taken from the album of the same name "1er Gaou (or Lepa Gawu)'?.

Or I.K Dairo's 'E rora feso jaiye', that evergreen oldie? And the ones remixed by Paul Play Dairo, his son? They were not even considered...can you imagine!

Abeg, this MTV Africa's list is making me vex....big time! angry shocked sad

When I touched down in Sir Seretse Khama International Airport in Gaborone some months back...guess which songs were wafting through the overhead speakers? Cardinal Rex Lawson's Sawale which was remixed by Flavour titled Nwa baby.

Chai! And MTV Africa the clueless station still goes ahead to churn out a list that makes no sense!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by majorfarms(m): 11:43am On Oct 18, 2014
undecidedKolomental ofcourse shuld b included....can't say exactly what Limpopo is doing there.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Izugab(m): 8:03am On Oct 19, 2014
Were's timaya dem mama soldier
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by hartarget007(m): 7:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
Wot olamide baddo baddest guy never liveth? ;DWot olamide baddo baddest guy never liveth?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Pictures Of Wizkid At Today’s EndSARS Protest In London / Yul Edochie Reacts To Tiwa Savage Sex Tape / Pictures Of Nicki Minaj Before Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.