Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... (43883 Views)

Your Intelligence Is Needed Here / Utter Ridiculous.. There Is Education And Then There Is Enlightenment / Your Votes Are Needed Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:55am On Oct 21, 2014
Otu ochna! I huhu otele nwayi ahu? I huhu nga o hna a udu ngwo a gbajuru mmi? grin

Nwanyi otele ukwu ga-ama'a hne o mere onwe ya mgbe oso suru. Mgbe ahu, ya gbama kpokom kpokom kpokom!

I love Owerri! grin
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:56am On Oct 21, 2014
Southerners are the people going to Onitsha for trade etc,i would not be surprised if they pick up their dialect. But to say a random southerner switches to Anambra in a twinkle of an eye is an overstatement. You obviously met people that want you to know that they have a mastery of random dialects.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:57am On Oct 21, 2014
Nje sokusidizienu....,njee succeed dizienu...lol

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 2:01am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Don't get me wrong. I admire Owerri dialect well, a dialect laced with 'kpa kpa'(I huhu kpa o shi emega a onye ishi arii mma grin) and 'shima shima'(shimakwala nwo nwo shi nga fuma ugbulaaka) and I speak it to a certain fluency but learning it wasn't easy o! I spent a lot of effort to learn it. A non-imo first timer's visit to Owerri would initially find the Owerri dialect incomprehensible but after spending some time in Owerri land, you'll begin to love the dialect! Nothing sounds sweeter than when a typical Owerri man starts rapping in Owerri!

Many of my cousins who came around then from Anambra and Enugu to visit us barely understood our Owerri (Ihiagwa and neighbours. I and my siblings had to interpret for them. During all the time we lived together as neighbours they never found it difficult to understand when my mother(Nwanyi Anambra) or Father spoke.
I think we are saying the same thing.
Exposure to dialects,gives u bigger understanding of it. You cannot stay in Obosi and understand Aro.
Interactions promotes bonding and understanding,so it's totally wrong to assume that Anambra is mutually intelligble to all Igbos.
Before,i travelled,i found Anambra exceptionally laboured and longwinded,but i got to understand it with time.
School children for instance,might find it diffcult to understand unless they travel or mingle with adults who understand the language.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 2:01am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Nnaa,nyaa na imaro Okonkwo Asaa gulu LONG JOHN ?
Okonkwo Asaa na Enugwu Ukwu ?

Onye bee ayi ka o bukwa! A marodi m nya. A nara m anakebe uno like that. Ka ayi si eme bu, o gulu gulu gulu, ayi a gbaluo uno malu ife na-eme gbapukwa.

A masiro m ndi Enugwu-ukwu etu afu. Ngwa, bido muba m amu. grin
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 2:08am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuoma, rapukene okwu. I banyegokwa na rewind and play. I nwerozi onu okwu. Ife I nozi ebe a eme bu I kwuo, I kwughalia nya ozo. Anyi a nugo yi.

Mana, uche gi bukwa uche gi. You're entitled to your opinions. You can only convince someone who wasn't raised in Igboland that Anambra dialect isn't likable and easily spoken in Igboland. Even Igbos born outside Igboaland all know this. It's a common fact. Ife I no ebe a eme bu 'ka o dikwa ka a na-eme'. You've not succeeded in changing anybody's opinion here on nairaland. I've been speaking from experience and my encounter with other Igbos in Igboland.

I kwesigo inaba ula by now. O na-akukwa 2am ebe afu.

Nyaa dibakeneli! Ka chi fo!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 2:12am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,Ihave lived with maids brought from Ebonyi and they understand us perfectly but when they speak with their relatives we get stunned because it sounds nothing like Igbo. The Anambra Igbo is coded in every Igbo dialect.
Lol,exaggeration. How is anambra coded in every Igbo dialect? Geezz. Why was it not adopted as Igbo Izugbe?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 2:17am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:
Ihuoma, rapukene okwu. I banyegokwa na rewind and play. I nwerozi onu okwu. Ife I nozi ebe a eme bu I kwuo, I kwughalia nya ozo. Anyi a nugo yi.

Mana, uche gi bukwa uche gi. You're entitled to your opinions. You can only convince someone who wasn't raised in Igboland that Anambra dialect isn't likable and easily spoken in Igboland. Even Igbos born outside Igboaland all know this. It's a common fact. Ife I no ebe a eme bu 'ka o dikwa ka a na-eme'. You've not succeeded in changing anybody's opinion here on nairaland. I've been speaking from experience and my encounter with other Igbos in Igboland.

I kwesigo inaba ula by now. O na-akukwa 2am ebe afu.

Nyaa dibakeneli! Ka chi fo!
You are actually the one with preconceived b.s. I never said Anambra isn't likeable just like Owerri and co, but you are overstating its place in Igbolanguage. You started by projecting it as the most special igbo dialect and am telling you that nothing makes it more special than others. I no na away no ya? It is only a privillegde if you find others responding in your dialect.
I am not here to impress or convince people but diswed this overiding better than others attitude. You see the way you swiftly responded to the Yoruba op with your personal views. That speaks volume of the Average Anambra man. O di wa njo.
What makes you more special than the average igbo man on the street. Those guys could have responded in their dialect but they embraced you by speaking your dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 2:23am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Those responses come from people that are saddled with complexies. Anyway,like i said, strange dialects are exotic. In my sorjourne in Northern Igboland, people respond back in my dialect. It's a two way thing. None is better than they other.

@bold...Because southern Igbos occasionally speak Anambra dialect, that has become a sign of complex to you? How about the fact that you're speaking and writing in English language, which isn't your language, isn't that a mark of greater inferiority complex exhibited by you?

In order not to see yourself as having complex you would rather choose not to respond in Anambra dialect yet you would gladingly speak English which is a foreign and imposed language on you?

I toga mmanu ochi daa. Hne wu ogbulo, a lawala m yard nga uyo m nu. Anyi gii ihu echi.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 2:34am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...Because southern Igbos occasionally speak Anambra dialect, that has become a sign of complex to you? How about the fact that you're speaking and writing in English language, which isn't your language, isn't that a mark of greater inferiority complex exhibited by you?

In order not to see yourself as having complex you would rather choose not to respond in Anambra dialect yet you would gladingly speak English which is a foreign and imposed language on you?

I toga mmanu ochi daa. Hne wu ogbulo, a lawala m yard nga uyo m nu. Anyi gii ihu echi.
English has no place here. Leave it alone. Yes,i repeat is a complex. Anambras will not want to equally return that gesture even when they have spent years in the South, cos they feel they have the best dialect. I can't speak Anambra so there is no point attempting it.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 2:40am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

You are actually the one with preconceived b.s. I never said Anambra isn't likeable just like Owerri and co, but you are overstating its place in Igbolanguage. You started by projecting it as the most special igbo dialect and am telling you that nothing makes it more special than others. I no na away no ya? It is only a privillegde if you find others responding in your dialect.
I am not here to impress or convince people but diswed this overiding better than others attitude. You see the way you swiftly responded to the Yoruba op with your personal views. That speaks volume of the Average Anambra man. O di wa njo.
What makes you more special than the average igbo man on the street. Those guys could have responded in their dialect but they embraced you by speaking your dialect.

Well she already had her observations before coming here. I didn't tell her all that she asked. I didn't go around spreading my opinions. She, an outsider, already observed those things herself and only came here to get opinions. Apparently, its even clear that outsiders can see what you're trying so hard to hide. Or you think they are blind? You're just making baby efforts at trying to deny the obvious.

Other imolites before you even confirmed the same thing I said.

You're the one taking the whole issue personal. If you were from Anambra state I'm sure you wouldn't be up till this late hour crying over split milk. One could say, 'English is so popular in the world! The popularity of English language in the world and how it is commonly spoken is amazing because it's been spread across the world. Almost everybody seems to speak it!'. Nowhere in the above statements was it written that English language is better than other languages in the world neither was it stated that the English people are better than others. It's only people who feel insecure and threatened that try to read needless meanings into something that was never intended. Read my original post I never mentioned anywhere that Anambra Igbo was superior neither did I say Anambra people were superior. I simply recounted my own personal experience as an Anambra guy growing up in Imo land the responses I got from them, countered the superiority fact that the OP made and finally ended my post with statements countering her statement and reiterating my point.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 3:06am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Well she already had her observations before coming here. I didn't tell her all that she asked. I didn't go around spreading my opinions. She, an outsider, already observed those things herself and only came here to get opinions. Apparently, its even clear that outsiders can see what you're trying so hard to hide. Or you think they are blind? You're just making baby efforts at trying to deny the obvious.

Other imolites before you even confirmed the same thing I said.

You're the one taking the whole issue personal. If you were from Anambra state I'm sure you wouldn't be up till this late hour crying over split milk. One could say, 'English is so popular in the world! The popularity of English language in the world and how it is commonly spoken is amazing because it's been spread across the world. Almost everybody seems to speak it!'. Nowhere in the above statements was it written that English language is better than other languages in the world neither was it stated that the English people are better than others. It's only people who feel insecure and threatened that try to read needless meanings into something that was never intended. Read my original post I never mentioned anywhere that Anambra Igbo was superior neither did I say Anambra people were superior. I simply recounted my own personal experience as an Anambra guy growing up in Imo land the responses I got from them, countered the superiority fact that the OP made and finally ended my post with statements countering her statement and reiterating my point.

Lol, i mukwa anya nke gi, so that drop that mockery.
You need to go back to your 1st post and see how you praised your dialect to the moon and back cos you mistook likeness for speciality. Am not Owerri,but i can decide to respond in owerri, it does not mean its popular or better than mine. Same way ,people appreciated my dialect in Northern igboland. The Northern people i interacted with reverted back to my dialect or igbo izugbe once they heard my speak.
Anambra and English should not be put in the same sentence, i repeat. You only stated your experience but found it diffcult to except mine. Don't you feel sad for people that abondone their dialect and decide to use yours,same thing Achebe was scared of.
The outsiders don't understand Igbo,they are only curious to know why Anambra feel they are more special than others,which i have trashed out in my 1st post.
You see how you attacked izugbe simply cos you felt an imo man imposed his dialect on you.
Mba,o wu umunne gi impozoru ya on you.
Superior and inferior dialect, popular and unpopular ,sweet and thick dialect should not even be source of arguement here.
I don't understand this self indulgence, you failed to realise that all strangers are treated that way. If i meet an Abakiliki woman,i will say lekwa nu nwanyi Abakiliki. I have an Ohafia friend, i only call her nwanyi Ohafia. I even argue with her so that she will speak her dialect to me. Has it occurred to you that Southerners respond back not cos they are fluent but cos they are more receptive and tend to blend easily with other; than carry that attitude of my dialect is more popular than yours.
O dikwa ihe ma ga nu.
I don't know what part of Southern Igboland where anambra is proudly spoken and celebrated like English o wu....

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:07am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Are you sure you watch Nollywood movies? Or you prefer to dwell in fantasies created by you?

who goes about disputing the fact that imo controls 3/4 of nollywood crew.
Guy, abeg.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:38am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Who said everyone can understand Northern dialects straight ahead? Lol
You have not meant people that don't understand it.
I hope you know the Northern Dialect we are talking about is the one used in Enugu/Anambra metropolis- NCI. And not the entire Northern dialects.

My Owerri friend had called me to help him with house search in nnewi?
Why?
She is afraid she won't flow with the nnewi dialect as the landlord or care taker speaks.
bigfrancis has refused to see that his first response to that Yoruba was not appropriate to his stupid question.
Dialects can't make a people special among a group, and if their is a dialect with that has that wow factor in igboland, as far as am concerned, it will be that between abia/imo;
its not about being the most understood dialect .
I mentioned Ada Mbano cos even though the storyline was wack, the dialect spoken will make you not to notice.
Ain't no new Igbo films with poor storyline that attained such likeness by all .And everybody understood what queen was speaking sef .
Its poor defence claiming it sold cos it was structured on the Yoruba jenifa when the igbos in the east and north don't know jenifa movie, I learnt about it here on nl when the ngbatis were claiming we stole it from them.
The concept of a girl changing lifestyle as she entered the university might be new to Yoruba nOlly but definitely not the English nolly the igbos are used to.
So, for me, remove that dialect, the movie won't sell that much, even if it were in anambra dialect or my own state dialect.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 3:45am On Oct 21, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Why?
She is afraid she won't flow with the nnewi dialect as the landlord or care taker speaks.
bigfrancis has refused to see that his first response to that Yoruba was not appropriate to his stupid question.
Dialects can't make a people special among a group, and if their is a dialect with that has that wow factor in igboland, as far as am concerned, it will be that between abia/imo;
I mentioned Ada Mbano cos even though the storyline was wack, the dialect spoken will make you not to notice.
Ain't no new Igbo films with poor storyline that attained such likeness by all .And everybody understood what queen was speaking sef .
Its poor defence claiming it sold cos it was structured on the Yoruba jenifa when the igbos in the east and north don't know jenifa movie, I learnt about it here on nl when the ngbatis were claiming we stole it from them.
The concept of a girl changing lifestyle as she entered the university might be new to Yoruba nOlly but definitely not the English nolly the igbos are used to.
So, for me, remove that dialect, the movie won't sell that much, even if it were in anambra dialect or my own state dialect.
Jenifa was not the first film with that plot. Mercy Johnson has been playing that movie. What people fail to realise is that the dialect made that movie. Neither was it as funny as Jenifer. It is interesting that Yoruba has so many dialect, they don't come out and shout. Egba is popular, Ijebu is popular, Ogu is popular etc. It is only Igbos that will state this and become happy when a group of people speak their dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:52am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol, i mukwa anya nke gi, so that drop that mockery.
You need to go back to your 1st post and see how you praised your dialect to the moon and back cos you mistook likeness for speciality. Am not Owerri,but i can decide to respond in owerri, it does not mean its popular or better than mine. Same way ,people appreciated my dialect in Northern igboland. The Northern people i interacted with reverted back to my dialect or igbo izugbe once they heard my speak.
Anambra and English should not be put in the same sentence, i repeat. You only stated your experience but found it diffcult to except mine. Don't you feel sad for people that abondone their dialect and decide to use yours,same thing Achebe was scared of.
The outsiders don't understand Igbo,they are only curious to know why Anambra feel they are more special than others,which i have trashed out in my 1st post.
You see how you attacked izugbe simply cos you felt an imo man imposed his dialect on you.
Mba,o wu umunne gi impozoru ya on you.
Superior and inferior dialect, popular and unpopular ,sweet and thick dialect should not even be source of arguement here.
I don't understand this self indulgence, you failed to realise that all strangers are treated that way. If i meet an Abakiliki woman,i will say lekwa nu nwanyi Abakiliki. I have an Ohafia friend, i only call her nwanyi Ohafia. I even argue with her so that she will speak her dialect to me. Has it occurred to you that Southerners respond back not cos they are fluent but cos they are more receptive and tend to blend easily with other; than carry that attitude of my dialect is more popular than yours.
O dikwa ihe ma ga nu.

It's only 10pm here and it's 3pm Nigerian time and you're still up on nairaland trying to prove a point. In some parts of US, it's still 7pm. This must be a serious topic to you to still keep you awake till this time. Be ready to be entertained till 9am Nigerian time. I'll be up all night reading.

@bold1...lol. Still reiterating the unbelievable. Anambra people would hardly speak your dialect because they virtually have no exposure to it except one or 2 individuals who might have grown up there or an Imo person residing in Anambra that replied you which you're mistaking to be Anambrarian, that is if your claim is even true. There's apparently no exposure of 'this your dialect' to them that they were widely exposed to your dialect for almost everyone you met to 'revert to your dialect'. From your statement, you carry the impression that almost every northerner you met 'reverted to your dialect' in order to 'equalize' the obvious fact that southerners often speak Anambra dialects which you found initially difficult to agree with. In a sudden twist of events, you've switched to 'oh yes I agree southerners speak northern Igbo and Northerners also revert to my own dialect'. The falsity in your claim is too glaring to ignore. It's just as saying a Nigerian man sourjourned England and the English were replying him in Nigerian accent.

If I may ask, what's this your dialect you're so keen on hiding? Flaunt it if you're proud of it.

@bold2...who says they are abandoning their dialect? That someone speaks any Northern Igbo dialect in addition to his native dialect, how does that tantamount to abandoning his native dialect? How does speaking Pidgin or English imply abandoning your dialect? You're becoming quite illogical and incoherent in your thoughts. Isn't it still the same Igbo language being spoken compared to English language which is entirely foreign and unrelated? Yes, I have to use English as an example. It is the best example I can give. If you don't think it is, then come up with an example that is better.

@bold3...Igbo Izugbe is not an imposition on me or Anambra Igbo. It is hardly ever used in Anambra except during Igbo language broadcast times. Anambra people still don't speak it within themselves. It is meant for, for example, Nsukka and Owerri speakers (2 mutually unintelligible dialects) to communicate with themselves or Afikpo and Arochukwu. In Rivers state, Ikwerre, Egbema, Ndoni etc all converse in central Igbo when they meet themselves because their dialects are mutually unintelligible to each other.

If a white author or a foreigner had written what I observed and mentioned i'm sure you wouldn't argue with him and swallow every word of his word by word but you take mere observations of a fellow Igbo as trying to dominate you.

I am 100% sure that you can make 1 or 2 sentences in a Northern Igbo dialect. Don't try to deny the obvious. Your ego wouldn't allow you to admit it.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:59am On Oct 21, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Why?

For the storyline of the movie, the dialect chosen was found fit for it. There are other storylines of which the dialect would not be appropriate for. Nollywood producers and directors know this and they know better. Else we'd have many other movies in the dialect selling like Ada Mbano. Mention another movie which has been sold massively because of the same Mbano dialect. It's just 1 movie in the dialect versus many other Igbo movies being shot in the default Igbo language dialect since Nollywood's inception which have been selling - movies critical to Nollywood's success and fame before the switch to English was made. Talk movies, talk Blood Money, Ahanna, Nneka the pretty serpent and what have you.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:04am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

It's only 10pm here and it's 3pm Nigerian time and you're still up on nairaland trying to prove a point. In some parts of US, it's still 7pm. This must be a serious topic to you to still keep you awake till this time. Be ready to be entertained till 9am Nigerian time. I'll be up all night reading.

@bold1...lol. Still reiterating the unbelievable. Anambra people would hardly speak your dialect because they virtually have no exposure to it except one or 2 individuals who might have grown up there or an Imo person residing in Anambra that replied you which you're mistaking to be Anambrarian, that is if your claim is even true. There's apparently no exposure of 'this your dialect' to them that they were widely exposed to your dialect for almost everyone you met to 'revert to your dialect'. From your statement, you carry the impression that almost every northerner you met 'reverted to your dialect' in order to 'equalize' the obvious fact that southerners often speak Anambra dialects which you found initially difficult to agree with. In a sudden twist of events, you've switched to 'oh yes I agree southerners speak northern Igbo and Northerners also revert to my own dialect'. The falsity in your claim is too glaring to ignore. It's just as saying a Nigerian man sourjourned England and the English were replying him in Nigerian accent.

If I may ask, what's this your dialect you're so keen on hiding? Flaunt it if you're proud of it.

@bold2...who says they are abandoning their dialect? That someone speaks any Northern Igbo dialect in addition to his native dialect, how does that tantamount to abandoning his native dialect? How does speaking Pidgin or English imply abandoning your dialect? Also, it's still the same Igbo languagethey are speaking compared to English language which is entirely foreign and unrelated. Yes, I have to use English as an example. It is the best example I can give. If you don't think it is, then come up with an example that is better.

@bold3...Igbo Izugbe is not an imposition on me or Anambra Igbo. It is hardly ever used in Anambra except during Igbo language broadcast times.. Anambra people still don't speak it within themselves. It is meant for, for example, Nsukka and Owerri speakers(2 mutually unintelligible languages) to communicate with themselves or Afikpo and Arochukwu. In Rivers state, Ikwerre, Egbema, Ndoni etc all converse in central Igbo whe they meet themselves because their dialects are mutually unintelligible to each other.

If a white author or a foreigner had written what I observed and mentioned i'm sure you wouldn't argue with him and swallow every word of his word by word but you take mere observations of a fellow Igbo as trying to dominate you.
You only tell kids to go to bed not an adult, ok? Cool.
It is the same thing am talking about,if it really frustrating that you keep running in circles.
What makes you believe that my story is false and yours is true?
Exposure to a dialect makes you understand it better. An local Ngwa man cannot just wake up and start responding in Anambra. An Anambra can not just stand up and respond in Owerri or ohaji without prior exposure. Ah ah!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:09am On Oct 21, 2014
Network is bad,so i will repond to your egocentric views later.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:13am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

For the storyline of the movie, the dialect chosen was found fit for it. There are other storylines of which the dialect would not be appropriate for. Nollywood producers and directors know this and they know better. Else we'd have many other movies in the dialect selling like Ada Mbano. Mention another movie which has been sold massively because of the same Mbano dialect. It's just 1 movie in the dialect versus many other Igbo movies being shot in the default Igbo language dialect since Nollywood's inception which have been selling - movies critical to Nollywood's success and fame before the switch to English was made. Talk movies, talk Blood Money, Ahanna, Nneka the pretty serpent and what have you.

Why do you like bringing up dead points. The early nollywood actors were mainly Northerners. In Circle of doom, kanayo spoke mbaise to his mother. I guess you want them to speak owerri instead?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:16am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

For the storyline of the movie, the dialect chosen was found fit for it. There are other storylines of which the dialect would not be appropriate for. Nollywood producers and directors know this and they know better. Else we'd have many other movies in the dialect selling like Ada Mbano. Mention another movie which has been sold massively because of the dialect. It's just 1 movie in the dialect versus many other Igbo movies being shot in the default Igbo language dialect since Nollywood's inception which have been selling - movies critical to Nollywood's success and fame before the switch to English was made. Talk movies, talk Blood Money, Ahanna, Nneka the pretty serpent and what have you.

Ada Abakiliki, Nwa Nsukka etc.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:17am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Why do you like bringing up dead points. The early nollywood actors were mainly Northerners. In Circle of doom, kanayo spoke mbaise to his mother. I guess you want them to speak owerri instead?

Ihuoma, o zuokwanna! hne I mee kpa, o na-arila mma? I shiga agugo a nwanyi 90 years. cheesy
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:18am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Ada Abakiliki, Nwa Nsukka etc.

Oolo daa! A shi m, 'mbano dialect'.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:26am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Oolo daa! A shi m, 'mbano dialect'.
Which Mbano again? Watch Circle of doom,Taboo and Nneka and you will find Southerners sticking to their dialects. Like i said people speak what they are comfortable with.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:28am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Ihuoma, o zuokwanna! hne I mee kpa, o na-arila mma? I shiga agugo a nwanyi 90 years. cheesy
Ngwanu, agugo or no agugo, Anambra dialect stays in its boundaries.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:30am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Ngwanu, agugo or no agugo, Anambra dialect stays in its boundaries.

Ngwa laba urna ugbulaaka! O teele odu I nu nga ajaga eze!

Labama! grin
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:31am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold2...who says they are abandoning their dialect? That someone speaks any Northern Igbo dialect in addition to his native dialect, how does that tantamount to abandoning his native dialect? How does speaking Pidgin or English imply abandoning your dialect? You're becoming quite illogical and incoherent in your thoughts. Isn't it still the same Igbo language being spoken compared to English language which is entirely foreign and unrelated? Yes, I have to use English as an example. It is the best example I can give. If you don't think it is, then come up with an example that is better.

@bold3...Igbo Izugbe is not an imposition on me or Anambra Igbo. It is hardly ever used in Anambra except during Igbo language broadcast times. Anambra people still don't speak it within themselves. It is meant for, for example, Nsukka and Owerri speakers (2 mutually unintelligible dialects) to communicate with themselves or Afikpo and Arochukwu. In Rivers state, Ikwerre, Egbema, Ndoni etc all converse in central Igbo when they meet themselves because their dialects are mutually unintelligible to each other.

I am 100% sure that you can make 1 or 2 sentences in a Northern Igbo dialect. Don't try to deny the obvious. Your ego wouldn't allow you to admit it.
Yes it the same Igbolanguage, it is only sickening when one lords a dialect over numerous Igbo dialect. #2mrw.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:34am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Ngwa laba urna ugbulaaka! O teele odu I nu nga ajaga eze!

Labama! grin
Gi na onye n' egburi awa?
Am not Owerri,is that the only southern dialect you know? O di kwa njo.
Am not jaaing eze with you,that's an insult. You are stating ur opinion and am stating mine.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:41am On Oct 21, 2014
This thread is about what makes Anambra feel they are more superior than other Igbos. And i stated that every Igbo state has its strenghts and weekness.
It is amazing how this thread has been turned and stimulated into a more popular or posh igbo dialect.
It's very conceited,like someone was waiting for a thread like this.
As a souther Igbo,i will restate that we don't use Anambra dialect,neither do we embrace it. When you find people speaking it, it is just a mere compromise and nothing more.
Exposure,trade and interest plays a key factor in understanding dialects around us.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:45am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

How many others have been made in mbano dialect kwanu?
Like I said, ahanna and co had the actors speaking their part of Igbo dialects .
And these had very rich storylines .
There was no particular dialect to them.
There is nothing like the storyline fitting mbano, it can as well be your village dialect or mine.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:49am On Oct 21, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

How many others have been made in mbano dialect kwanu?
Like I said, ahanna and co had the actors speaking their part of Igbo dialects .
And these had very rich storylines .
There was no particular dialect to them.
There is nothing like the storyline fitting mbano, it can as well be your village dialect or mine.
Oh yes,i did not see that. The Storyline is quite popular and can be used for any language in the world. But if he had said Movie title,yes. The title fits the dialect,it is only imperative to use mbano.
You cannot write Mbano and use Isuikwuato dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Abagworo(m): 7:06am On Oct 21, 2014
There has been a whole lot of fallacies committed on this thread. Imo, Anambra etc are mere imperfect demarcation of boundaries occassioned by politics. The major reason people who fall into the Anambra part of the artificial creation seem to live in delusion is their dominance of the old Eastern region because they had better relationship with Europeans than others. After the creation of old Imo State from East-central State in 1976, it took very little time for the gap to be filled as new spirit of State nationalism arose in Igboland and the Imo part experienced rapid development.

38 years later we've gone through an era of falsehood orchestrated by the new found nationhood at State level among Igbos of 1970s. It is most prevalent in Anambra State and till this day an inborn hatred or a lighter word "envy" exists when Owerri is mentioned. My advice to them is to stop the nonsense and face reality. Today It is not a hidden fact that they are scared of Okorocha emerging as VP or President and rather than support him will kill any dream of Igbo Presidency.

People from Imo, Abia and Ebonyi are far more free minded and care less about this new found Statehood. Enugu on the other hand is mixed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

10 Things You Didn't Know About 'ORON' In Akwa-ibom State. / How Adamawa Governor Sat In Atiku's House (Photo) / Proverbs From The Streets Of Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.