Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,465 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! (50839 Views)

Some Facts About Medical Students And Medical School #pictures / Medical Students Protest, Lock UNILAG Gate (Photos) / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by DollyParton1(f): 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
stpat1:

My dear, an engineer working in a core engineering field will surely be likely to rake in that amount ordinarily.

the advantage doctors have is that their surpasses their supply. I give kudos to them cos it takes a lot to be a qualified doctor.

Comparing a successful doctor and a successful engineer. the Engineer earns better
A fair comparison should be made between an average kinds of the different profession. Not all doctors would be successful and not all the engineers gets to the successful level.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
I'm an engineer and its sad that our schools are churning out weak jealous mofos like the op, whining like biatches.

Wtf? Instead of focusing on improving yourself, you are playa hating worse than those johesu noisemakers. You get your sheet right and you will be earning far more than the doctors you are hyperventilating over. Face your own road.

I wonder if you were bad belleong these doctors when they were putting looooooong hours in class.

5 Likes

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by AnanseK(m): 1:40pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

Sorry sir, ignorance stinks!

You should probably go dispose that mentality that engineers are capable of doing one thing BUILDING OR CONSTRUCTION.

Where do u put electrical engineers : you don't have any in Nigeria abi
Petrochemical engineers: you have none abi
Agricultural engineers: you haven't seen one abi. No wonder people use ur teeth as hoe
automotive engineer : where is innoson cars and the new Nigeria made cars

I could go on and on. Don't be quick to type. No wonder dolphins are better know to use a larger percent of their brain than humans.

So we have electrical engineers and yet we don't manufacture even a light bulb? Don't even go near sufficient supply of electricity. I wonder what your agric engineers do when 90% of our farmers use hoes and cutlasses to farm and the few mechanized farm implements are all imported - Designed and Made by engineers of other lands.
i wonder what percentage of your own brain is being used - assuming that you have a brain bigger that that of jellyfish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

Funny. Doctors are three in one lmao.

My dear you need alomo serious one.
Have u ever come across a food microbiologist, or food biochemists. If you haven't go and use Google cos I won't start .

Microbiology and biochemistry is a course on its own not a three in one thing under doctors. Even using doctors in this context is wrong. Medicine is a vast study.

So its entirely wrong to say three in one for doctors.

Are u even a doctor ? Cos u just disgraced ur profession by quoting me to write that jagajaga.

Rethink and re quote. I will be waiting
Olodo, how come they certify drugs that you'll take if they don't know the components and uses of the drugs. Have you ever heard of mb exams for 3rd year medicine student? Its based on physiology, biochemistry and microbiology.

Don't start dissecting each of the course. Do you know how vast the word medicine is? So talking about food microbiology, medical microbiology what have you ain't my concern. What am saying is that an average medical doctor have idea about those three mentioned profession cos they work hand in hand.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by JuanDeDios: 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:
All over the world its no more "News" that these two field of career are both professional fields especially when it comes to practicing it in full scale. But its so saddened here in my country (Nigeria) the way Medical Student(Pharmacists,Nurses, Medical Lab Scientist and Doctors) are being given mouth watery treatment on NYSC service ground and the future Engineers are being treated like idiots. . . .
It's the simple laws of economics. The government needs to encourage doctors to go to the rural area where people don't have access to health care. No matter how you may want to spin it, there isn't a similar need for a large number of engineering graduates. If you find telecom engineers setting up masts in the rural areas they are employees of private companies and they are well paid. Another factor is their years of study - engineers, 5 years; lawyers 6 years; doctors 7 years.

But maybe the difference between what medical graduates and others earn is too much but you can take it up with the authorities.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by gmcb: 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
proud to be an engineer!!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Forwetinnah: 1:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
We should be respected more than the Doctors...yeah!! Not an easy course to study. .fact!!!
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
Nwachiizu:

I don't think so sir. Engineers are everywhere. Doctors are almost restricted to hospitals.

False, most organizations have hospitals or clinics.
there are more unemployed or wrongly employed engineers
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
slimmy05:
Olodo, how come they certify drugs that you'll take if they don't know the components and uses of the drugs. Have you ever heard of mb exams for 3rd year medicine student? Its based on physiology, biochemistry and microbiology.

Don't start dissecting each of the course. Do you know how vast the word medicine is? So talking about food microbiology, medical microbiology what have you ain't my concern. What am saying is that an average medical doctor have idea about those three mentioned profession cosnthey work hand in hand.

I laugh. Typical of u. Can't pass a point across without verbal insult? Very typical

I still stress won't waste my breath on jagajaga.

Did u read the quote microbiology is a course on its own not under medicine like the rubbish u wrote there? Did u no u didn't too busy rushing to reply. Typical !

And guy. Doctors don't certify drugs for use. You know who do? I bet u don't. Cos u r too obsessed arguing.

FDA. ..food drug administration. You need to go back to ur classroom, dust ur books and start with basics. I hear Internet is cheap now.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Forwetinnah: 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
gmcb:
proud to be an engineer!!

Could like this a gazillion times!!!

2 Likes

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by 234GT(m): 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
And the way girls ran after these doctors during NYSC was crazy!

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

I laugh. Typical of u. Can't pass a point across without verbal insult? Very typical

I still stress won't waste my breath on jagajaga.

Did u read the quote microbiology is a course on its own not under medicine like the rubbish u wrote there? Did u no u didn't too busy rushing to reply. Typical !

And guy. Doctors don't certify drugs for use. You know who do? I bet u don't. Cos u r too obsessed arguing.

FDA. ..food drug administration. You need to go back to ur classroom, dust ur books and start with basics. I hear Internet is cheap now.
In fact, you need to go back to kindergarten. You're a drunk for making that statement. Now, who do you think FDA consult before reaching that certification for public consumption? And who would issue you the type of drugs to use. You think in yoir very small idea after the pharmacologist produce the drugs FDA will issue certification and ready for public consumption?

Olodo, go and read that your dusty books again and school yourself.

Get it straight, medical students study both physiology, anatomy and a little biochemistry before graduation. Get it into your thick skull.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by swezenberg(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
How can I be jealous of Medical students when the Engineers in the oil and Gas are doing fine. Can Medical doctors earn what we earn after service? This is what you should ask yourself. In Nigeria, Engineering is more mouth watering than medcine. Be it in Oil industry or telecoms. How much are most of the doctors paid. Go find out what Engineers earn in multinational companies like Harliburton, Schlumberger, Exxonmobil, Chevron, Total, Transocean, Subsea 7, PanOcean, GE, Saipem even NNPC. The list is endless.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 07, 2014
AnanseK:

So we have electrical engineers and yet we don't manufacture even a light bulb? Don't even go near sufficient supply of electricity. I wonder what your agric engineers do when 90% of our farmers use hoes and cutlasses to farm and the few mechanized farm implements are all imported - Designed and Made by engineers of other lands.
i wonder what percentage of your own brain is being used - assuming that you have a brain bigger that that of jellyfish.

Lmao. I just read the biggest shii in history. Last year. My friend in electrical engineering in my school manufactured an heat sensor sliding door like the ones u see in malls today.

It was his final year project with other three of his course mate.

When u won't Move with the right people. You keep carrying ur half baked education everywhere and constituting nuisance to the society.

Na la Liga and premiership dem go dey argue up and down bunch of ....

Won't reply u. Nothing educative from u. So bounce abeg.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

Lmao. I just read the biggest shii in history. Last year. My friend in electrical engineering in my school manufactured an heat sensor sliding door like the ones u see in malls today.

It was his final year project with other three of his course mate.

When u won't Move with the right people. You keep carrying ur half baked education everywhere and constituting nuisance to the society.

Na la Liga and premiership dem go dey argue up and down bunch of ....

Won't reply u. Nothing educative from u. So bounce abeg.
Keep exposing your crass ignorance. With all this your rubbish inventions here and there. Your entire friend have designed this and that. Remote sensing door you see in malls. He only designed a toy. We are talking of invention you're talking of copy and paste. A beg clear off from this place. Do you even know the meaning of invention?
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by deedrizzie: 2:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
Juss lyk sme of my fellow medical colleagues hv earlier stated, gettn an MBBS isn't easy.. 6yrs in schl with little or no breaks, serious study and a very absurd schl calendar that makes a med stdnt spend months upon months in schl, not to mention the exams(professional exams) Mb1 nd MB2,with notin less than 50% in all courses... I cnt even start mentioning it all abeg,, with all due respect to d eng stdnts (one of whch is my brother) an engineering graduate cannot earn more than a doctor weda NYSC or in d Labour market QED, but i feel they shld b appreciated too, but comparing themselves to med guys, sorry ooo, more lyk d case of d cat calling himself a lion

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by ice234: 2:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
My guy, no be by to read Engineering or Medicine be the koko oh. Na wetin dey your pocket at the end of the day be the koko.
Bros I will always encourage you to read Engineering cos at the end of the day you have more chances of hitting it big than the doctor.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nwachiizu(m): 2:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

False, most organizations have hospitals or clinics.
there are more unemployed or wrongly employed engineers

There are no wrongly employed engineers anywhere sir. All over the world engineers are known to fit into various field in the economy. We received mathematical, practical, analytical, and managerial training in school. And even if we want to deviate we still perform better in professional exams than administrative graduates do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by dridowu: 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
JuanDeDios:

I don't buy the OP's position but your rants don't make sense.

So only doctors get to study hard and spend their own money and do night calls?
@bolded, if my rant does not make sense, then while not share your own view ? If you don't have anything to say, please leave the thread for people that want to share ideas/opinion not for people like you that are buying/ranting others opinion.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Samgreguc(m): 2:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
Elantracey:
The disparity is displayed everywhere , though the usefulness of the medical field cannot be overemphasized they can't function properly without the help of engineers , take my school for example , the there are two medical hostels with are the best in the school while engineering has none and now even the newly built hostel is still being deliberated on whether it should go to the medical field.

UNIPORT?
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Ignyte(m): 2:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
I chose to study medicine with the mentality that they are needed everywhere other than other courses, Now i see that everywhere you go, you must meet a mass communication graduate, like hell the ones working in private organisations are paid for doing nothing. See cool cash

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by GWslim(f): 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
YES ,THEY OUGHT TO BE RESPESCTED BUT I DO NOT SEE ANY OTHER WAY THE MEDICALS.....ARE BEING RESPECTED MORE THAN THE ENGR.
THEY HAVE THE PREFIX ENGR BEFORE THEIR NAMES AS DR FOR DOCTORS.
WHAT SHOULD THE ACCOUNTANTS SAY?
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 07, 2014
slimmy05:
Keep exposing your crass ignorance. With all this your rubbish inventions here and there. Your entire friend have designed this and that. Remote sensing door you see in malls. He only designed a toy. We are talking of invention you're talking of copy and paste. A beg clear off from this place. Do you even know the meaning of invention?

Yawns!!! *ear plugs at work*
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Arlex(m): 2:16pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:

I'm into Production and Industrial Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
pls which sch are u attending or d one u graduated from?
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

Yawns!!! *ear plugs at work*
You accused me of insulting you. But you first had the effontry to tell me I take local gin alomo. Just imagine? And you complained I called you olodo.

Well if olodo sound insultive. Sorry kiss
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Coolboyz: 2:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

Funny. Doctors are three in one lmao.

My dear you need alomo serious one.
Have u ever come across a food microbiologist, or food biochemists. If you haven't go and use Google cos I won't start .

Microbiology and biochemistry is a course on its own not a three in one thing under doctors. Even using doctors in this context is wrong. Medicine is a vast study.

So its entirely wrong to say three in one for doctors.

Are u even a doctor ? Cos u just disgraced ur profession by quoting me to write that jagajaga.

Rethink and re quote. I will be waiting
Lol. Oga judging from the way u sound, it seems you were one of those people JAMB dealt with. I dnt blame you shaa coz I know hw lecturers ridicule u guys back then in school and ask you to go to the med/surg depts nd see tinz for urselves. My ADVICE is that u should take a chill pill nd stop the hating, else u become our(doctors) patient(high B.P tinz) tongue
Hahahahahahaha
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2014
harde2lah:
Op, yes it is not fair but you have to see the big picture. You should be more worried about what happens next after NYSC. I encountered same thing during my service year. Medically inclined courses received at the end of service year a whopping 950k while the Engineers got a token sum of N36,000. 950k:36k (O boy!). Yeah, but we can really say that they are unfair to us. Sentiment apart, these guys spent a lot of money on their education, in terms of acquiring textbooks, medical equipments etc. The lucky ones get scholarships. Not also forgetting that a medical student can spend up to 8 years in the university. So it would not be fair if we receive the same amount during NYSC. But in the long term, an average engineer can earn more than a doctor. What Engineers can advocate for is for the FG to also provide more and better incentives for them, in terms of compulsory accommodation, relevant PPA's, skills acquisition, ICT Training etc. Doctors, pharmacists, SLT are all sent to medical institutions while engineers are sent to class rooms to teach instead of industries where they can acquire relevant practical work experience. Not the government fault though but nobody to push and advance our cause. The engineering bodies are still busy collecting dues.

Nevertheless, Doctors should spare us this bullshit of saving lives as if na only dem them dey save lives. Has d increase in the number of doctors, pharmacists reduced the number of deaths, diseases, epidermic, virus, accidents etc, Hell NO!! Even though engineers are sent to schools to teach, FG and SG should also try to appreciate them because they teach students and enlighten them on d best practices so has to stay healthy. When it comes to saving life, everybody has different roles to play- doctors, teachers, engineers, etc. If the FG and SG so much value the Doctors more than us (engineers), why are they refusing to use our clinics nah? At d slightest headache or toothache, they travel abroad even for medical checkups! lols. Doctors, you can only save one life at a time, Engineers save lives. Imagine a building or bridge collapsing and try to anticipate the resulting casualties. If there is an engineering failure, not only lives will be lost; properties inclusive. Now tell me, who saves lives more?
It is also a know fact that Engineering is intellectually more challenging than Medicine,...FACT! Medicine requires memorization and cramming while Engineering requires lots of problem solving and proactive analytical thinking (IQ). Most of the medical equipments are designed by engineers. The principles upon which these equipments works have their roots embedded in engineering.

In a nut shell, the large sum of money the medical guys are being paid during NYSC is justified. However, the government should also put the engineers too in a comfort zone. It should be a win-win thing. Nobody has to get hurt.

Just one thing I can digest in this ur long epistle is that the Engineers too treated fairly simple
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
Dedoo:

great nifst!
you're absolutely right.

My dear ....Make dem rant while we make d money. Plenty of dem go still buy sachet water tomorrow drink garri. Na miracle produce am.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:
All over the world its no more "News" that these two field of career are both professional fields especially when it comes to practicing it in full scale. But its so saddened here in my country (Nigeria) the way Medical Student(Pharmacists,Nurses, Medical Lab Scientist and Doctors) are being given mouth watery treatment on NYSC service ground and the future Engineers are being treated like idiots.

Infact in Benue State where I'm serving Med Guys are paid like 60k @ppa, 30k @state level followed with 3bedroom flats of Doctors quarters(free of charge) nd 19k of allawee compared with an Engineering Student sent to primary or secondary school with 2k@ ppa and just your 19k of allawee with no accommodation even if you had a First Class(B.Eng) in school. With this sad experience I thing the Engineering Bodies in this country (NSE nd COREN) are allowing our government to cheat us big time.

Med Guys make sure life of human is sustained but Engineers make life so comfortable for humans, we are everywhere going great things all around the world...

1. Automobile industry
2. Air-Condition and Refrigeration(Plasma air-con,doing great)
3. Electronics Devices (Mobile Devices,Laptops etc)
4. ICT and Telecommunications
5. Provision of Electricity(even if its still Bad, but Med Guys can't still do d job if not trained Engineers)
6. Biotechnology (Engineering coming into Medicine)
7. Architects, Civil Engineers and Builders
8. AeroNautical Engineers (Aircraft Engineers)
9. Marine Engineers

Just to mention a few now tell me, would you say its fair after all these areas of specialisation we (the upcoming Engineers) should be badly treated?

I quite understand your point, even though I'm a health worker. It's truly unfair, not just for engineers, but all other professionals. The issue is that there are not enough govt owned engineering firms to absorb the numerous thousands of engineering graduates yearly. Mind you that corps members including doctors are expected to be employed majorly in govt owned institutions.
Even if they allow private engineering firms to start taking up engineering graduates, it may have a negative toll on future employment of engineers, as many firms will want to employ more corps members for cheaper labour. That will worsen the unemployment situation.
It boils down to the fact that Nigeria is not technologically driven. As more industries spring up, the demand for engineers will also increase, which will favour even corps members too.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by F117A: 2:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
How can you guys compare the insipid monotonous world of medicine to engineering.?
Unlike medicine, Engineering is for the brightest brains in advanced climes.
It's probably one of the few courses that place great demand on the use of both sides of the brain(the artistic and the calculative)
And no,doctors do not earn more than engineers in the long run.
In fact, with time, engineers tend to earn nearly double what doctors earn even in Nigeria.
The only advantage doctors have is the job security.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

My dear ....Make dem rant while we make d money. Plenty of dem go still buy sachet water tomorrow drink garri. Na miracle produce am.
If nafdac catch you and your poorly treated water. You'll know.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 07, 2014
Coolboyz:
Lol. Oga judging from the way u sound, it seems you were one of those people JAMB dealt with. I dnt blame you shaa coz I know hw lecturers ridicule u guys back then in school and ask you to go to the med/surg depts nd see tinz for urselves. My ADVICE is that u should take a chill pill nd stop the hating, else u become our(doctors) patient(high B.P tinz) tongue
Hahahahahahaha

Another burrow pit head that didn't read the post before quoting.

Where did u see me supporting any of the professions ewu. And where do u see me hating the doctors .

Ode my advice read before displaying ur foolishness.

Btw have u eaten today

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Meet Ryan Kaji Who Is Highest Paid YouTuber In 2020 Raking In Whopping £22M / Can I Still Graduate With A First Class With This My 100level Cgpa? / MC Oluomo's Twin Children Graduate From University Of Atlanta, Georgia. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.