Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,153 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! (50823 Views)

Some Facts About Medical Students And Medical School #pictures / Medical Students Protest, Lock UNILAG Gate (Photos) / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Vikky014(f): 3:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:

I'm not jealous its just funny that's all,but d basic salary of an Engineer is alarming in the industry
BENUE STATE DOES DAT?SO MY SIS IS LYING TO ME.MAKE I CALL HER SHARPERLY! grin

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by sikells(m): 3:16pm On Oct 07, 2014
nobilis:
I'm sorry to say but this is a really useless post.
It is this kind of comparison that is causing this friction between doctors and other health workers in public hospitals. You only look at the remuneration.

Now look at this:
1. When medical students study very hard during UTME and post-UTME aptitude tests in order to gain admission into universities, where were the engineering students? At least, we all know that the cut-off mark for Medicine is always higher than that of Engineering.

OP, did you protest that there is a lot of "GAP" in the admission requirements between the two courses of study?

No. You didn't.

2. When you go on end-of-semester breaks and the medical students remain in school (with no hopes of breaks), studying and doing their hospital postings, OP, did you protest that medical students are working in school while you're having the time of your life on Holz? Obviously you didn't.

3. When engineering students fail exams, they carry the courses over to the next session, while when medical students fail exams (depending on the degree of failure), they may have to drop a class and repeat the whole session.
OP, did you protest that you guys should be permitted to drop classes when you fail exams?
No, you didn't.

4. When you graduate after 5 years of study, and the medical students you gained admission with are still groaning under the weight of one professional exam or the other, did you protest that you should be made to spend more years in school? No, you didn't. You graduated with joy and happiness.

But now, you're protesting that doctors and health workers are treated more specially than engineers during NYSC years. Isn't that greed and injustice? You want Abraham's blessings to be yours but you don't want Abraham's sufferings and hardwork to be yours.
when it comes to cut-off marks,the cut-off for medical students is usually very high because of the plenty aspirants that usually apply for medicine and off course NMA has given a directive on the amount of students that should be admitted,which is usually very small...and so a higher cut-off is required to eliminate alot of aspirants,compared to engineering that dont get that much attention by aspirants as medicine
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Samneer: 3:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
Happy to be one!
don't even care about what they do

cos government has failed us
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nwachiizu(m): 3:20pm On Oct 07, 2014
ILIDEFI:

I quite understand your point, even though I'm a health worker. It's truly unfair, not just for engineers, but all other professionals. The issue is that there are not enough govt owned engineering firms to absorb the numerous thousands of engineering graduates yearly. Mind you that corps members including doctors are expected to be employed majorly in govt owned institutions.
Even if they allow private engineering firms to start taking up engineering graduates, it may have a negative toll on future employment of engineers, as many firms will want to employ more corps members for cheaper labour. That will worsen the unemployment situation.
It boils down to the fact that Nigeria is not technologically driven. As more industries spring up, the demand for engineers will also increase, which will favour even corps members too.

I don't quite agree with this cos of privatisations going on now. Who says govt can't privatise govt hospitals.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by AnanseK(m): 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
candygosh:

Lmao. I just read the biggest shii in history. Last year. My friend in electrical engineering in my school manufactured an heat sensor sliding door like the ones u see in malls today.
It was his final year project with other three of his course mate.
When u won't Move with the right people. You keep carrying ur half baked education everywhere and constituting nuisance to the society.
Na la Liga and premiership dem go dey argue up and down bunch of ....
Won't reply u. Nothing educative from u. So bounce abeg.

I will chose the jellyfish. grin
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by ACM10: 3:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
[quote author=alotofgrace post=26928885]

U WRONG THERE!!!
who's machines converted ur herbal drugs to tablets? who designed ur syringe?
get this...medicine is fixed, no creativity........in engineering, we combine the beauty of arts and the Heavenly tool called Mathematics to change things as challenges portray themselves

doctors do nothing, infact GOD HEALS, THE DOC TAKES THE FEE angry

remember...God was first an electrical/engineering....let there be light

..........engineering rules
[/quote

]
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Vikky014(f): 3:28pm On Oct 07, 2014
drobadebayo:

God bless u bro for this input
SHHHHH!SHE IS A LADY NT BRO. cool
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by heykims(m): 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
u engineering guys too many: electricity, mechanical, civil, agricultural, food etc
Familiarity breeds contempt bro...
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by demsid(m): 3:35pm On Oct 07, 2014
engineers should as well be given special treatment as d docs. we deserve it just that our engineering bodies in the country (COREN, NSE) are not fighting for d students. after all the reading and solving of tough equations in school. even in my school engineering students and vet med students pay the same high school fees . And y should we b paid 19k in NYSC while d doctors receive high pay. its not right. its not. I've been looking for platforms like this to express my feelings concerning this. I'll advice my fellow engineers in d society to stand for their right n vie for political positions . we can induce change if we are ready to take charge.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Vikky014(f): 3:35pm On Oct 07, 2014
slimmy05:
Jealousy. Lol cheesy which machine can you design. Can you even start a generator let a lone heavy duty plant. All this engineers by book. Rubbish.
KIKIKIKIKIKIKIKI@CAN U EVEN START A GENERATOR*LAUGH WAN KILL ME OOOOOO CHAI!!!
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by heykims(m): 3:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
Farouksenior:
Op. its temporary nah. Once u hit m as an Engineer. No doc. Fit see ya rear light. Jst try makin ursef a better Engineer first.
Farouksenior. (EEE)[
So wats d percentage of engineering graduates dt eventually hit it as 'big' engineers? very minute bro...
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 07, 2014
This topic summarises the problem we have as Nigerians. For goodness sake why can't we just mind our business. How is my earnings as a doctor any of your concern? If you feel you're not being treated fairly then fight for your improvement instead of comparing yourself with others. In other words: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:

Wow!! For me, This is the best comment soo far so articulated and very well thought before putting up a write-up. Infact only you got my point so far, God bless you Sir!!
The pleasure is all mine
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Vikky014(f): 3:40pm On Oct 07, 2014
nobilis:
I'm sorry to say but this is a really useless post.
It is this kind of comparison that is causing this friction between doctors and other health workers in public hospitals. You only look at the remuneration.

Now look at this:
1. When medical students study very hard during UTME and post-UTME aptitude tests in order to gain admission into universities, where were the engineering students? At least, we all know that the cut-off mark for Medicine is always higher than that of Engineering.

OP, did you protest that there is a lot of "GAP" in the admission requirements between the two courses of study?

No. You didn't.

2. When you go on end-of-semester breaks and the medical students remain in school (with no hopes of breaks), studying and doing their hospital postings, OP, did you protest that medical students are working in school while you're having the time of your life on Holz? Obviously you didn't.

3. When engineering students fail exams, they carry the courses over to the next session, while when medical students fail exams (depending on the degree of failure), they may have to drop a class and repeat the whole session.
OP, did you protest that you guys should be permitted to drop classes when you fail exams?
No, you didn't.

4. When you graduate after 5 years of study, and the medical students you gained admission with are still groaning under the weight of one professional exam or the other, did you protest that you should be made to spend more years in school? No, you didn't. You graduated with joy and happiness.

But now, you're protesting that doctors and health workers are treated more specially than engineers during NYSC years. Isn't that greed and injustice? You want Abraham's blessings to be yours but you don't want Abraham's sufferings and hardwork to be yours.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by drobadebayo: 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
Vikky014:
SHHHHH!SHE IS A LADY NT BRO. cool
Lol.i already figured jare.decided not to change it cos she z an engineer afterall
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Vikky014(f): 3:44pm On Oct 07, 2014
drobadebayo:

Lol.i already figured jare.decided not to change it cos she z an engineer afterall
cheesy
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by governoragweven: 3:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
If medical students are strictly posted to hospitals for practice purpose, we Oil Students (PTI & FUPRE) should also be posted to Oil Companies too. Period!
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by STENON(f): 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
Doctor or no Doctor?....Engineer or no Engineer?......

I just pray to SUCCEED in my Discipline by God's Blessing .

Huge/Low amount of money without God's blessing is worthless, Because you wont be able to account for how well/ how meaningful, you have spent it.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 07, 2014
DrGroove:

Thumbs up! Na Architect wey follow doctor spend 6years for school suppose dey compete n complain not Engr. Yet they are humble. Anyway,empty barrels make loud noise.
@ the bolded.looking at that,I can say that you are very arrogant.cant you communicate without insulting? Medicine is though but engineering is no childs play too.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by bosunsky: 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
whether d government or d community appreciates ENGINEERS or not, i stil devote myself 2 d main purpose - helping lives.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by sexylogan(m): 4:02pm On Oct 07, 2014
DollyParton1:

Dude don't talk sh11t. MEDICINE IS NOT FIXED. Medicine is very dynamic. God heals? Yes I agree with you, but pls next time u need ur appendix removed just go to God in prayer.

grin
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nwachiizu(m): 4:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
NYSC needs to be restructured to address this issue and many more. I personally am not comfortable with the scheme. Govt. needs to look critically into it. It's not worth the price many of us paid as corp members.

Thanks to all my Doctors. Thanks to all my fellow Engineers. I love you all!

Enjoy your day all.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Heart2heart(m): 4:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
ENGINEERS ARE SO VERSATILE!! BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING - We even came into the medical world. Engineers can never have zero knowledge of anything, even the so called medicine. We step into the business and art world, we conquer and take over the arena. Politics, we over take political science graduates and conquer. Accounts world, we top. check them all. Salary wise, we ball hard! OND-holder (technician) in our Oil/gas company earns like 1.2mill per month (salary +allowances) - which doctor earns this? That FG gave u some 80k and flimsy preference in the camp doesn't mean you are special. Enjoy this false feeling of superiority the FG gave you guys while it last. Very soon, doctors will be littered everywhere like lawyers are today. Before now, lawyers were people that talked so high of themselves. "the learned". na only them learn? now, table don turn. charge and bale full scatter everywhere like pure water packet. 10k/month salary to lawyers in chambers. before everyone wanted to be a doctor, now nothing is inviting there anymore. Our skills as Engineers are always needed everyday. per seconds, per seconds

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Heart2heart(m): 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2014
hahahahaha sharp guy!! but don't worry bro!
governoragweven:
If medical students are strictly posted to hospitals for practice purpose, we Oil Students (PTI & FUPRE) should also be posted to Oil Companies too. Period!
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by tania28(f): 4:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
All graduate n undergraduate of different faculties should be treated equally,non is superior over the other,they all perform their duties n contribute to the development of their country.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by tunde1200(m): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
Shut up jare the equipment you are using for work who repaire and assemble them?!
We are supposed to be respected!

ayanbaba2:
Saving lifes rules... Medcine rules.
#irepteamsavinglife.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by nwachinemelu(m): 4:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:
Lolz..... After reading the comments here I realize that the already or aspiring Med guys are feeling like "Chairmen" pls don't get it twisted in naija we only enjoy God's grace and favor cos I've seen M.B.B.S doc strolling all round the state in search for job/placement after almost 8yrs of study. Just believe in yourself and be very much hard-working irrespective of the professional courses, if you believe it u can achieve it.
. My dear u LIED,after 8 fucking yrs of MBBS no job,....Unbelievable
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by XketchDesigns(m): 4:40pm On Oct 07, 2014
Tbliss12:

I don't get? Enlightening you about what?
Do you work, have you also done the certifications? Which did you do? Have you done MSc?

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by tonte(m): 4:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
doctors deserve what they get...in fact, they as Engineers are under appreciated in this part of the world...and I wonder why as a call member Engineer who is not doing anything with his Engineering degree is complaining that he is not paid as if he is actually doing some serious Engineering work, and even comparing himself to a doctor call member who is actually working as a doctor...what kind of engineer are you, the type to just sit and expect money to come to him without using your skill?
Generally in Nigeria, Engineers are under appreciated, and this is because we are under-utilized, we as a country of Engineers have very brilliant minds amongst us, but generally we are not innovative enough to even copy and paste effectively outdated technology from the developed world, not to talk about developing new technology to compete with Engineers on a world level who are always coming up with new solutions to everyday problems...and 'non everyday' problems. We need to wake up...and only then are we going to have the respect we deserve
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 07, 2014
XketchDesigns:

Do you work, have you also done the certifications? Which did you do? Have you done MSc?

Yeah by God's grace I'm currently serving and also undertaking some HSE II professional course in my state of service. So building of one's self all the way my dear
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Functionoftime(m): 5:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
dridowu:
@op, when medical student are busy reading during/after session , where are engineering student ?
Whe Doctors are busy at work during strike, public holiday and night duty, where are the engineers ?
Where are the engineers when the Docs are using part of their hard earned money to cater for some patients ?
Where are the NSE/COREN , when NMA/NVMA/NMDCN are disucssing the future with govt ?
Where are the engineers when the Docs are been woken up in the middle of the night to attend to their enemies/friends ?
Where are the enginners when the Docs have an accidental injury ?
Where are the engineers when the Docs are giving real bite from relation of the patient that dies ?
Guy, no time for story , just face your work and leave the medical field alone.
Jah Bless
chai.... See ignorance oooo. Make i lecture this baby doctor small.
You need engineer, that's why we have biomedical engineers. Before now, did you care to know who designed and built the machine and devices you use in your field? If yes, you won't say we should leave your field alone. In advanced countries, devices and robots are being designed to administer drugs directly to where it is needed in the body and to perform surgical operations. With advancements in BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, common doctors will soon be relegated to nothing. Mark my words
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by drobadebayo: 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
Heart2heart:
ENGINEERS ARE SO VERSATILE!! BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING - We even came into the medical world. Engineers can never have zero knowledge of anything, even the so called medicine. We step into the business and art world, we conquer and take over the arena. Politics, we over take political science graduates and conquer. Accounts world, we top. check them all. Salary wise, we ball hard! OND-holder (technician) in our Oil/gas company earns like 1.2mill per month (salary +allowances) - which doctor earns this? That FG gave u some 80k and flimsy preference in the camp doesn't mean you are special. Enjoy this false feeling of superiority the FG gave you guys while it last. Very soon, doctors will be littered everywhere like lawyers are today. Before now, lawyers were people that talked so high of themselves. "the learned". na only them learn? now, table don turn. charge and bale full scatter everywhere like pure water packet. 10k/month salary to lawyers in chambers. before everyone wanted to be a doctor, now nothing is inviting there anymore. Our skills as Engineers are always needed everyday. per seconds, per seconds
Thank u sir.we are cool with what we make. make your billions we really don't care.
To think doctors will litter the streets is a big joke. Why do you think we still have less than 20k consultants since 1960.doctors can't litter streets from here to jamaica

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

African Sex Story [story] Taxi Driver Part 1 / NOUN Student Denied Access Into Exam Hall Over Indecent Dressing (pics/video) / Can I Still Graduate With A First Class With This My 100level Cgpa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.