Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,448 members, 7,812,374 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

//&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// - Rap Battles - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Battles / //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// (6703 Views)

●●●●why The Nairaland 2016 Cypher Is A Flop●●●● / The Nairaland Rap Battle Section Audio Cypher Planning Thread / Ofoka's Freestyle Country- The New School Legend Of The Nairaland Freestylers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

//&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by ELYMAXiimus(m): 7:14am On Oct 07, 2014
cool cool cool

i noticed that some of us don't even know the basics of rap as a whole.
And those of us who know one or two things, nd those who almost know it all, still need to learn more, cos NO ONE KNOWS IT ALL.
So here's the thing,
if you think you've got a knowledge of RAP which is LACKING here, nd you wish for us to know about it, feel free to lecture us cool.
As this will improve the standard of everything here. Sometimes i see some verdicts, nd i'm like ................... Is this dude for real?
Trust me, sometimes it's not d1ckriding. It's as a result of an insufficient knowledge of the crits...

It will also help the newbies coming in to adapt fast.....

So, wadelse?

Bring it on, folks cool cool cool

PLS, NO COMMENTS. cool

a comment about someone's lesson should be in the chatroom...

Tags:
ibime
coogar
U3
mikuz
emaprince
dj5naira
thunderstorm
joshuabase
glacierz
airmark
loonat11k
limerick
guykhena
kr0ne
paulthor
youndanaval
elvisonjack2
teddybiyasi
yeyenatu
iceskidd
giyazz
lagunna
geoxpress
heywizzy
tysonnn
warriblood
sossiqdude
fuckyouhard
iamaromolaeran
illness
captainflash
007bruce
ckushy
peterpacker
bonnyt
testerfuze
ochon
schonp

*****Maxiimus***

2 Likes

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by GIYAZZ(m): 7:26am On Oct 07, 2014
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by YoungDaNaval(m): 8:18am On Oct 07, 2014
Topic And Emcee I'll Like To Do The Lecturing.

*. Metaphor/Similey ===> Coogar.

*. Punchline ===> Ibime.

*. Flow ===> Saw.

*. Humour/Comic Wordies ===> Warriblood.

*. Closer ===> U3.

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 9:57am On Oct 07, 2014
testerfuze should be the first student in this lecture room. in my last battle, he actually asked in his verdict if i had any wordplay in the entire script - i was like WTF? how can i pen 50 bars & not have a single wordplay in it.....

it's fair to say more than half of the people giving verdicts on here dunno a lot about battling. they cannot spot multis, they cannot spot puns & wordplays unless you use parenthesis.

this needs to be addressed otherwise people reading how things are done here from other forums would be laughing at us. shout out to elymax for this concept.....when voters don't understand a line or a bar, i think they should ask battlers in the chatroom to explain before giving their verds.

2 Likes

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Testerfuze(m): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2014
coogar:
testerfuze should be the first student in this lecture room. in my last battle, he actually asked in his verdict if i had any wordplay in the entire script - i was like WTF? how can i pen 50 bars & not have a single wordplay in it.....

it's fair to say more than half of the people giving verdicts on here dunno a lot about battling. they cannot spot multis, they cannot spot puns & wordplays unless you use parenthesis.

this needs to be addressed otherwise people reading how things are done here from other forums would be laughing at us. shout out to elymax for this concept.....when voters don't understand a line or a bar, i think they should ask battlers in the chatroom to explain before giving their verds.
Wah do you sugest i learn and who'll be my lecturer??
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 11:49am On Oct 07, 2014
Testerfuze:

Wah do you sugest i learn and who'll be my lecturer??

what you need to learn is how to spot the wordplays. first & foremost, be rest assured that any top-tier battle on this section would have plenty of wordplays in them. that they aren't obvious doesn't mean they aren't there. i leave it hidden to give you the joy of finding it yourself - there's a thrill to it.

all those italics in text-battling aren't there for effizi. some other people use quotes or capital letters - but they are just trying to warn you before hand that there may be more meanings to those words or phrases so you need to always task yourself to re-read them instead of skimming through it.

there are 4 different types of wordplays i normally use.....

•homophones
•oronym
•homonyms
•hypocatastasis.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 12:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
homophones
words that are pronounced the same way as another word but with a different meaning, and could also differ slightly in spelling. sometimes, homophones, technically, can also be spelled the same and also be called homonyms.

few examples .....dew/due, scene/seen, ate/eight, etc.

oronym
an oronym is a a couple of phrases(or sentences) that are pronounced similarly due to phonological juncture.

few examples - iced ink/i stink, stuffy nose/stuff he knows, a nice cold shower/an ice cold shower.

homonyms
i am sure you must know this from your oräl english in secondary school - homonyms is one of a group of words that share the same spelling and pronunciation but may have different meanings.

examples.....stalk(plant) and stalk(to follow someone/harass) left(past tense of leave) and left(the opposite of right hand).

hypocatastasis
i won't say anything about this yet so as not to confuse your mind. we shall treat this subject when you get promoted from the basic class to the advanced class. grin cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 1:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
now....back to why i mentioned your name.
in my last battle, you said you couldn't find any wordplay. i will show you few examples of the things you missed in one of the verses

•I'm the Black Shakespeare.....We can ignore the bars you steal/We ain't equal..you're a spent vet...you don't even have the skill/I'm here to crucify you...like when Germany smacked Brazil/Bis has the swag of a nüde plantain, he's bent & he lacks appeal/

notice how i put these phrases in italics
swag of a nüde plantain, he's bent and appeal

i did that to notify you & others that there's more meaning to the punchline than it seems. the wordplay is on the words appeal & bent - which means ibime has the swag of a nüde plantain - he's bent(fraudulent) & he lacks a peel!

a nüde plantain is bent & has no cover(peel) - so it's a double entrede + wordplay + punchline all woven together. he's bent(corrupt), lacks appeal(ugly) and he lacks a-peel(nüde plantain).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by teddybiyasi(f): 8:32am On Oct 08, 2014
hypocatastasis is more like similes & metaphor

metaphor:- you're a cow consist of 2 nouns

similes:- you're like a cow 2noun plus like

hypocatastasis:- cow a single noun

coogar come down here & explain cause I'm befuddle
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 08, 2014
only thing I can contribute is how to freestyle rap....

I can give you tips and drills that will take you from not being able to freestyle at all to be able for freestyle for 45 minutes.....
all you have to do is ask how and I will spill my secret recipe.....

but one thing is for sure...you have to sacrifice....TIME....ENERGY....no shortcut to success without hard work and constant practice.......
I remember all those nights I didn't sleep...... for 4 days straight....I can vividly remember....from 11pm to 6am
..I just put my memory card in my music box and freestyle.....sometimes opening random pages of novels magazines and rhyme with each word ....while staying on beat and forcing myself to come up with witty metaphors and similes.......I can remember how many times my mom would come banging my room door telling me to switch off that useless thing...and I would rap a capella instead ....lol

I was lucky to have a brother that's a rapper....so I started early.......
plus my hood and street is jampacked with emcees...both wack and ddope.....we always had birthday parties....bash....and youth functions.....so rappers showcased themselves.......and before i rapped...I had to have crammed verses with my best friend...also a rapper.......just to thrill girls.........
until I met this dude....in my secondary school....he was a new student.......his name is daabo........it was in the canteen ....boys filed up to buy the popular #bread and beans.....lol...suddenly niggas started drumming on d desk...gyrating......that was when daabo started free styling...and rhymed smoothly with everything he saw.........I was like damnnnnnnnnnn !!! at the same time angry ...cos I hadn't crammed lines and just stood there like a mannequin...... I then vowed I must master the art......
and I googled best freestyle rappers and watched some clips on YouTube.....
that was how I figured hov doesn't even write....and he became my mentor....Eminem too..proof...jin...juice...etc...
I also read tips and had to watch a lot of Tim West wood...radio freestyles and studied each emcee ..how he converts his mistakes to punchlines and not stutter or go blank......

now I can ffucking pick up a mic and burst..
I have beheaded many emcees and made some choke in parties and school...and I can get any girl I want with this ability....lol
its spiritual and added weapon to your arsenal.....
am more than willing to help anyone...not with what I got from Wikipedia... but my personal training methods... that will condition your brain to do two jobs at the same time...rapping and scanning for another ....

I even heard a rumour...I don't know how true....
they said **looking at the RIGHT HAND side with your head raised slightly.....makes you remember rhymes and freestyle better........you can try this.....
no be my theory sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 9:46am On Oct 08, 2014
teddybiyasi:
hypocatastasis is more like similes & metaphor

metaphor:- you're a cow consist of 2 nouns

similes:- you're like a cow 2noun plus like

hypocatastasis:- cow a single noun

coogar come down here & explain cause I'm befuddle

in a metaphor, the 2 nouns are named & given.

in a simile, there are 2 nouns & the word like

hypocatasis only implies a resemblance or comparison. only one noun is named here & the other is implied or put out of sight.

you're like a cow - simile
you are a cow - metaphor
cow - hypocatasis(it implies i am calling you a cow, without directly saying it to you)
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by GIYAZZ(m): 9:46am On Oct 08, 2014
Just learn New words everyday and keep rhyming, read top-tier battle threads and cram some if necessary, Listen to Old school Hip-Hop from the early 80's and late 90's. . . Listen to a couple of Lyrically inclined New school Hip-Hop too, Read Books from Highly rated Authors, read poems, read Shakespear, read Newspapers, especially the "Destructive News" (For a battle rapper)

Read Complexed Epistles, read complexed books, even though you don't understand them, just try and keep reading; make research of difficult words you find. Read science subjects and Arts too, try solve one math everyday, read arguments, read real good jokes, read tantrums and insults thrown anywhere you encounter in the internet (For battle rappers)

Watch Battle Raps on Youtube, Read Read Read Read especially!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 08, 2014
iamaromolaeran:
only thing I can contribute is how to freestyle rap....

I can give you tips and drills that will take you from not being able to freestyle at all to be able for freestyle for 45 minutes.....
all you have to do is ask how and I will spill my secret recipe.....

but one thing is for sure...you have to sacrifice....TIME....ENERGY....no shortcut to success without hard work and constant practice.......
I remember all those nights I didn't sleep...... for 4 days straight....I can vividly remember....from 11pm to 6am
..I just put my memory card in my music box and freestyle.....sometimes opening random pages of novels magazines and rhyme with each word ....while staying on beat and forcing myself to come up with witty metaphors and similes.......I can remember how many times my mom would come banging my room door telling me to switch off that useless thing...and I would rap a capella instead ....lol

I was lucky to have a brother that's a rapper....so I started early.......
plus my hood and street is jampacked with emcees...both wack and ddope.....we always had birthday parties....bash....and youth functions.....so rappers showcased themselves.......and before i rapped...I had to have crammed verses with my best friend...also a rapper.......just to thrill girls.........
until I met this dude....in my secondary school....he was a new student.......his name is daabo........it was in the canteen ....boys filed up to buy the popular #bread and beans.....lol...suddenly niggas started drumming on d desk...gyrating......that was when daabo started free styling...and rhymed smoothly with everything he saw.........I was like damnnnnnnnnnn !!! at the same time angry ...cos I hadn't crammed lines and just stood there like a mannequin...... I then vowed I must master the art......
and I googled best freestyle rappers and watched some clips on YouTube.....
that was how I figured hov doesn't even write....and he became my mentor....Eminem too..proof...jin...juice...etc...
I also read tips and had to watch a lot of Tim West wood...radio freestyles and studied each emcee ..how he converts his mistakes to punchlines and not stutter or go blank......

now I can ffucking pick up a mic and burst..
I have beheaded many emcees and made some choke in parties and school...and I can get any girl I want with this ability....lol
its spiritual and added weapon to your arsenal.....
am more than willing to help anyone...not with what I got from Wikipedia... but my personal training methods... that will condition your brain to do two jobs at the same time...rapping and scanning for another ....

I even heard a rumour...I don't know how true....
they said **looking at the RIGHT HAND side with your head raised slightly.....makes you remember rhymes and freestyle better........you can try this.....
no be my theory sha
nice ama try ya tactics ..tho most of them have tried except watching youtube battles but still cant freestyle for 5min
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 08, 2014
GIYAZZ:
Just learn New words everyday and keep rhyming, read top-tier battle threads and cram some if necessary, Listen to Old school Hip-Hop from the early 80's and late 90's. . . Listen to a couple of Lyrically inclined New school Hip-Hop too, Read Books from Highly rated Authors, read poems, read Shakespear, read Newspapers, especially the "Destructive News" (For a battle rapper)

Read Complexed Epistles, read complexed books, even though you don't understand them, just try and keep reading; make research of difficult words you find. Read science subjects and Arts too, try solve one math everyday, read arguments, read real good jokes, read tantrums and insults thrown anywhere you encounter in the internet (For battle rappers)

Watch Battle Raps on Youtube, Read Read Read Read especially!!!!!!!
that i so me..every hard word i find will sure end to search terms on Google...recommend rap battles pls
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by teddybiyasi(f): 10:13am On Oct 08, 2014
coogar:

in a metaphor, the 2 nouns are named & given.

in a simile, there are 2 nouns & the word like

hypocatasis only implies a resemblance or comparison. only one noun is named here & the other is implied or put out of sight.

you're like a cow - simile
you are a cow - metaphor
cow - hypocatasis(it implies i am calling you a cow, without directly saying it to you)

yh I know but how do you intend using hypocatasis as wordplay
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by 007Bruce: 10:39am On Oct 08, 2014
For punchlines - be versatile, observant.. You can get your PL from watching movies, news(CNN), history, reading some battle raps.. Just be witty - Use your BRAIN your BRAIN yeah your BRAIN

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 10:43am On Oct 08, 2014
teddybiyasi:

yh I know but how do you intend using hypocatasis as wordplay

that's the advanced part.....

you just have to be creative with that. for example ibime is also known as bis. people say he's fat too.

so a powerful hypocatasis for ibime would be o'bis(obese) grin

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by teddybiyasi(f): 11:00am On Oct 08, 2014
coogar:

that's the advanced part.....

you just have to be creative with that. for example ibime is also known as bis. people say he's fat too.

so a powerful hypocatasis for ibime would be o'bis(obese) grin

lol
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 08, 2014
SuperSauce:
nice ama try ya tactics ..tho most of them have tried except watching youtube battles but still cant freestyle for 5min

there are two stages of learning.....

first is observation
second is practicals....

you have observed by going through you tube brawls. .gotten tips....from internet and all.....but that's not enough
..you need to practicalise it......
your even better.....I know some really ddope emcees that can't even freestyle off the top for 2 minutes without repeating themselves...stuttering and worse choking.........
also you need to practise everyday.....rap in your head everywhere.....that's one thing I learnt from jay z....he said....he raps all day in his head.....and when its time to go off the top...those premeditated punchlines....

also what I do is.....
I try to kick start my freestyles with metaphors.....and you need to find a suitable theme that you feel comfortable to rap about.....
if your a rapper that mainly battles.....then there's the probability that when your free styling you will talk about smashing someone's head.....etc
my themes are --battle punchlines.....poetic lines....braggadio and I include hyperboles and humour....cos if you start free styling bout government when you don't know much bout it or you ain't used to it......you may CH CH CH CHOKE......
like I said....I like kicking off my freestyles with similes /metaphors....I could start with this for e.g
am a raging beast/
I don't bother bout the end rhymes....that's my secret....I concentrate on FLOW and making SENSE....the rhymes come naturally....
so if I say--am a beast.......
if my brain goes BLANK and I don't get a word to rhyme quick with beast and make connect them...
.I d" use fillers instead that relate to beast to buy more time to make a witty punchline or figure other rhymes..

many words relate to being a beast
devour
flesh
ravage etc...

so I could say---am a raging beast....I devour mics with speed/ constitution says am a rapper.....its my right to spit/ no am not a rapper..am a voter rather/ your below my standard....

see...something like that....when free styling try to connect them ..and focus on flow and lyricism not rhymes..

easy as pie

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by ELYMAXiimus(m): 11:09am On Oct 08, 2014
Nice on guys cool..... It seems like we have a freestyle king amidst us. Lmao

pls, if you have a question on what an individual wrote.. QUOTE nd COPY to the chatroom, nd ask the question there. Or tell he or she to throw more light on the topic... You should'nt say anything here, unless you have something to share....
this is to avoid DERAILING THE THREAD... smiley

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 08, 2014
iamaromolaeran:

there are two stages of learning.....

first is observation
second is practicals....

you have observed by going through you tube brawls. .gotten tips....from internet and all.....but that's not enough
..you need to practicalise it......
your even better.....I know some really ddope emcees that can't even freestyle off the top for 2 minutes without repeating themselves...stuttering and worse choking.........
also you need to practise everyday.....rap in your head everywhere.....that's one thing I learnt from jay z....he said....he raps all day in his head.....and when its time to go off the top...those premeditated punchlines....

also what I do is.....
I try to kick start my freestyles with metaphors.....and you need to find a suitable theme that you feel comfortable to rap about.....
if your a rapper that mainly battles.....then there's the probability that when your free styling you will talk about smashing someone's head.....etc
my themes are --battle punchlines.....poetic lines....braggadio and I include hyperboles and humour....cos if you start free styling bout government when you don't know much bout it or you ain't used to it......you may CH CH CH CHOKE......
like I said....I like kicking off my freestyles with similes /metaphors....I could start with this for e.g
am a raging beast/
I don't bother bout the end rhymes....that's my secret....I concentrate on FLOW and making SENSE....the rhymes come naturally....
so if I say--am a beast.......
if my brain goes BLANK and I don't get a word to rhyme quick with beast and make connect them...
.I d" use fillers instead that relate to beast to buy more time to make a witty punchline or figure other rhymes..

many words relate to being a beast
devour
flesh
ravage etc...

so I could say---am a raging beast....I devour mics with speed/ constitution says am a rapper.....its my right to spit/ no am not a rapper..am a voter rather/ your below my standard....

see...something like that....when free styling try to connect them ..and focus on flow and lyricism not rhymes..

easy as pie
thanks bro...ya've being a really good teach

1 Like

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 08, 2014
SuperSauce:
thanks bro...ya've being a really good teach

my pleasure.....your welcome
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Iceskidd(m): 1:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
Yo max. I've gotta ask coogar my question on this thread.
Yo coogar, can u educate me on setting up a punch. Thanx
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by coogar: 2:49pm On Oct 08, 2014
Iceskidd:
Yo max. I've gotta ask coogar my question on this thread.
Yo coogar, can u educate me on setting up a punch. Thanx

that's intelligence & imagination...
build up a story, add some multis & leave a sick line at the end. although, evil rappers like myself add a punch or two in the set-up and the sickest line in the end to achieve the most maximum damage possible.

just keep practising. write & write & write.
never ever be contented with your written until you come up with a sick line that got you jumping out of your seat. be your own worst critic. read your own lines like a neutral would & pick out the faults in it. edit & re-edit until you are sure you cannot do any better.

if it doesn't hit, scrap the concept & start afresh

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Iceskidd(m): 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2014
coogar:

build up a story, add some multis & leave a sick line at the end. although, evil rappers like myself add a punch or two in the set-up and the sickest line in the end to achieve the most maximum damage possible.

never ever be contented with your written until you come up with a sick line that got you jumping out of your seat. be your own worst critic. read your own lines like a neutral would & pick out the faults in it. edit & re-edit until you are sure you cannot do any better.

thanks
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 08, 2014
coogar:

i have my own way of coming up with wordplays......
i wanna know how you come up with your wordplays ...puns bla bla bla
Re: //&********<<<the Nairaland Rapbattles Learning Thread>>>*******&// by captainflash(m): 6:06pm On Oct 08, 2014
grin for more rhymes visit your rhymes dictionary and other website to check it out. .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

So You Think Yo Can Rap? / Punch Linez Zone. / Blood In The Arena Championship B.i.t.a.c Part One... Sign Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.