Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,684 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd (5381 Views)

Zimbabwean Man Murders Sex Worker For Not Performing Up To Expectation / Zimbabwean Woman Gave Birth To A Strange Looking Baby - Very Graphic Photos / Mugabe's Humiliation In Nigeria Tops Zimbabwean Newspaper Headlines (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:29pm On Oct 07, 2014
The Zimbabwe National Students Union has demanded the withdrawal of a PhD awarded last month to the wife of President Robert Mugabe, arguing that it is not credible. First lady Grace Mugabe stands accused of having registered at the University of Zimbabwe in July this year and completing her PhD thesis last month, in a record two months.

Robert Mugabe is chancellor of the university, and awarded the doctorate in sociology to his wife at a graduation ceremony on 12 September.

Grace Mugabe had not obtained a masters degree. Recently she took over leadership of the women’s wing of her husband’s ruling ZANU-PF party, leading to speculation that she may have her eye on her 90-year-old husband’s job.

The controversy over the PhD degree is refusing to die down.

The BBC reported that the Zimbabwe National Students Union, or ZINASU, was planning to file a court application asking for details on how the first lady was awarded the degree. The students said her PhD thesis was not available in the university library, as it should be.

Students said awarding the qualification negatively affected the reputation of the country’s top higher education institution, locally and internationally. It was an insult to students, the intelligentsia, doctors, professors and lecturers associated with the University of Zimbabwe.

“Grace Mugabe’s miracle doctorate signified syncretically the death and burial of academic principles at the once highly regarded university,” said ZINASU.

The union said politically motivated suspensions and expulsions of students, archaic service delivery systems, hyper-expensive fees and the perversion of academic freedoms, along with Grace Mugabe’s “miraculous doctorate”, fulfilled a prediction by the university’s late vice-chancellor Walter Joseph Kamba that academic standards would be devastated by political meddling.

Graduates from the university would be stereotyped according to Grace Mugabe’s academic stamina, ZINASU said, which was the worst thing that could happen to students who had worked hard and honestly to acquire a degree from the institution.

They called on all those involved in awarding the PhD, including the vice-chancellor, Levi Nyagura, to resign with immediate effect.

Zimbabwean academic Ricky Mukonza agreed that the first lady’s PhD was not good for the University of Zimbabwe or the Mugabe family. It tarnished the university’s image and eroded the idea of an institution driven by the pursuit for academic excellence.

http://www.punchng.com/education/angry-students-demand-withdrawal-of-first-ladys-phd/

3 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
so when are Nigerian Students demanding the withdrawal of that of jonathan?? cool cool

The students said her PhD thesis was not available in the university library, as it should be.

10 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by focus7: 6:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
If this is Nigeria the US and SA press will make it a headline.

3 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:
so when are Nigerian Students demanding the withdrawal of that of jonathan?? cool cool

You are an imbecille i swear,wen will u get tired of pretending to b a female,you'v sold your soul for coins,what has jonathan got to do with dis nw?

5 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by abuchilag: 6:40pm On Oct 07, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

must u bring president Jonathan into every issue?
Stop being childish. Goodluck Jonathan was an accomplished lecturer and earned his doctorate degree within the four walls of university and not in Aso rock.

Be guided!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:45pm On Oct 07, 2014
abuchilag:

Stop being childish. Goodluck Jonathan was an accomplished lecturer and earned his doctorate degree within the four walls of university and not in Aso rock.

Be guided!

Have you seen his thesis anyway?

5 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 07, 2014
hook: be magnified oh lord,
you are highly exaulted......
Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 6:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
I keep asking this question and have yet to get any answer. The president is said to be a lecturer with a PhD, my question is; what publications does he have to his credit in Zoology or any field for that matter?? Did he deliver any lectures at any conference when he was a lecturer?? What is the title of his thesis and what publication has been made out of the work??

I have tried google severally but can't find any scholarly articles to the president's credit!!

Something is definitely wrong somewhere.

7 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by braine(m): 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
omenka:
I keep asking this question and have yet to get any answer. The president is said to be a lecturer with a PhD, my question is; what publications does he have to his credit in Zoology or any field for that matter?? Did he deliver any lectures at any conference when he was a lecturer?? What is the title of his thesis and what publication has been made out of the work??
I have tried google severally but can't find any scholarly articles to the president's credit!!

I asked the same questions.

4 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
abuchilag:

Be guided!
Please can you refer us to one of his works as an accomplished lecturer and a PhD holder?? Just a single publication in a recognised academic journal is all we ask for. Just a link would do.

5 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by PresidentAde(m): 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2014
fabiano09:

You are an imbecille i swear,wen will u get tired of pretending to b a female,you'v sold your soul for coins,what has jonathan got to do with dis nw?

...Alaye Must U defend Jonathan like Ur life Depend on that name ??
.... If the Guy/girl is wrong..Kindly correct him/her...
Don't U feel ashamed insulting people ?
...If u have any Pending issue with the guy/girl why don't U settle it without throwing insults....
... We are brother/Sisters So I hope u take my advice....
..She has the Wright to mention Jonathan's Name anyhow and anywhere !!!....
Don't Yhu know some people see Jonathan every night in their dream ......
Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Mention(m): 7:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
I would be back
Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Ngwakwe: 7:21pm On Oct 07, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

Sometimes your ignorance oozes so much pungent smell ready to kill

Wasn't Goodluck Jonathan lecturing in the University before acquiring the PhD?

Do you know his academic records and breakthrough before he became the President?

Bloody Arts Student

3 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 07, 2014
omenka:

I begin to wonder when Jonathan became a Teacher in Uniport. He was a director in OMPADEC before his elevation to Deputy Gov. He has no Thesis to his name nor any Academic Article in a Newspaper or even a blog. I am yet to meet his former Students nor professional colleagues in the University he claimed to teach. That man qualification get K-leg

5 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 7:25pm On Oct 07, 2014
barcanista:
I begin to wonder when Jonathan became a Teacher in Uniport. He was a director in OMPADEC before his elevation to Deputy Gov. He has no Thesis to his name nor any Academic Article in a Newspaper or even a blog. I am yet to meet his former Students nor professional colleagues in the University he claimed to teach. That man qualification get K-leg
And some people don't want us to ask questions because "he's the president".

Mscheew.

5 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by jmaine: 7:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
Another useless thread meant for the APC maggots to feast to no where . . . . .

3 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 7:30pm On Oct 07, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Sometimes your ignorance oozes so much pungent smell ready to kill

Wasn't Goodluck Jonathan lecturing in the University before acquiring the PhD?

Do you know his academic records and breakthrough before he became the President?

Bloody Arts Student
Oga stop spamming the forum with these idiotic prattles of yours. The president had "academic records and breakthroughs", refer the house to them. Is that too much to ask?? My lecturers have countless number of publications in reputable journals easily accessible by anyone with access to the internet. Where are your president's publications?? If you can't provide a link to them just fvcking shut your brown eye.

8 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

you're fùcked
Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 7:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
jmaine:
Another useless thread meant for the APC maggots to feast to no where . . . . .
Bro this isn't about APC or PDP, it is about the president and his purported qualifications. He was a lecturer, granted, he has a PhD, granted. Where are his publications?? There is just no way in the world that a LECTURER WITH A PhD wouldn't have some publications to his credit. He must have published the works of some of his project students and most definitely his master's thesis, for that is how you climb up the ladder in the academia lest you get stuck in the same spot till thy kingdom come.

Where are the president's publications

6 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 07, 2014
omenka:
And some people don't want us to ask questions because "he's the president".

Mscheew.
so much fraud by jonathan

4 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by anonimi: 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2014
barcanista:
He has no Thesis to his name nor any Academic Article in a Newspaper or even a blog.

Is it in your CLUELESS world that academic articles are published in newspapers What manner of daftnesd shocked

2 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by jmaine: 7:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
omenka:
Bro this isn't about APC or PDP, it is about the president and his purported qualifications. He was a lecturer, granted, he has a PhD, granted. Where are his publications?? There is just no way in the world that a LECTURER WITH A PhD wouldn't have some publications to his credit. He must have published the work of his some of his project students and most definitely his master's thesis for that is how you climb up the ladder in the academia lest you get stuck in the same spot till thy kingdom come.

Where are the president's publications

There are lecturers actively lecturing here in Unilag without a single publication to their name so it is absolutely possible

3 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by jmaine: 7:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
anonimi:

Is it in your CLUELESS world that academic articles are published in newspapers What manner of daftnesd shocked

Damn !! am just seeing that shocked. . .Such manner of ignorance . . . . grin

2 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 07, 2014
anonimi:

You sure have comprehension difficulty. You are becoming emotionally senile...
barcanista:
if you still interpret this post with your acute da*ftness, then you deserve to sue whoever taught you English language in all your schooling years.

5 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
barcanista:
so much fraud by jonathan
Take a trip to the department of Zoology University of Port Harcourt and ask for his thesis. Nairaland isn't the library of the department.

4 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 8:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
jmaine:

There are lecturers actively lecturing here in Unilag without a single publication to their name so it is absolutely possible
Look at the highlighted point and you would understand what I'm talking about. Trust me, it is not possible for a Lecturer with a PhD not to have AT LEAST a SINGLE publication.

Or are you trying to tell me the president NEVER published an article during his stay in the academia??

This is some serious issue that musnt be treated with levity. It is high time we started asking some of these sensitive questions.

2 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by UnknownT: 8:17pm On Oct 07, 2014
omenka:
Look at the highlighted point and you would understand what I'm talking about. Trust me, it is not possible for a Lecturer with a PhD not to have AT LEAST a SINGLE publication.

Or are you trying to tell me the president NEVER published an article during his stay in the academia??

This is some serious issue that musnt be treated with levity. It is high time we started asking some of these sensitive questions.
Have you gone to Zoology dept, Uniport to ask for his thesis? If you are forming an investigative journalist, what stops you from going down to the school? Is that how saharareporters investigate?

6 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by jmaine: 8:25pm On Oct 07, 2014
omenka:

I saw the highlighted when I replied you . . .Yes, I can confidently tell you I know a doctor who doesn't have one publication despite having a very voluminous thesis.

He is currently been encouraged to do something ASAP unless he wants his juniors to leap frog him in the dept. hierarchy since Journals are a requisite for promotion . . . .

So don't assume certain conditions to be absolute in all cases. Exceptions do occur . . . .

P:S ==> Even the late DR Hansel of Maths dept. was a known rebel who refused to publish a work if that was the only thing that will guarantee his promotion. Despite his impeccable computer wizardry and great statistical skills, dude passed without getting even promoted to Lecturer 1 . . .

1 Like

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
Mention:
I would be back
Or "brb"?
Afta d food don don finish abi? angry

Na ya way sha, u owe no one apology grin
Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 8:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
UnknownT:
Have you gone to Zoology dept, Uniport to ask for his thesis? If you are forming an investigative journalist, what stops you from going down to the school? Is that how saharareporters investigate?
What I ask for are HIS PUBLICATIONS not thesis. Doesn't our dear president with a PhD, who worked some years as a university lecturer, have any publication to his credit Not even ONE??

I'm sure most of you viewing this thread and trying to cover the president have googled all you can to find some tangible stuff but came out empty handed.

How could we have made a man who was a lecturer with a PhD who couldn't publish a single article in a reputable journal (mark of total failure) the president of a great country like Nigeria and to add insult to injury, work towards his retention in office??

2 Likes

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 07, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

The fact that Jonathan does not get it right does not mean his PhD is questionable. You people should learn to think before posting here.

1 Like

Re: Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd by omenka(m): 8:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
jmaine:

I saw the highlighted when I replied you . . .Yes, I can confidently tell you I know a doctor who doesn't have one publication despite having a very voluminous thesis.

He is currently been encouraged to do something ASAP unless he wants his juniors to leap frog him in the dept. hierarchy since Journals are a requisite for promotion . . . .

So don't assume certain conditions to be absolute in all cases. Exceptions do occur . . . .

P:S ==> Even the late DR Hansel of Maths dept. was a known rebel who refused to publish a work if that was the only thing that will guarantee his promotion. Despite his impeccable computer wizardry and great statistical skills, dude passed without getting even promoted to Lecturer 1 . . .
Are we now saying the president (possibly)NEVER PUBLISHED ANY ARTICLE when he was in the academia??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Will Take Out The S-400 If A Nato Member Jet Is Hit: Us Defence Chief / 100,000Tons, $12.9Billion, U.S. Newest Aircraft Carrier Commissioned(Photos) / Eritrean Government Law Saying Men Should Marry Two Wives Or Risk Jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.