Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy (49582 Views)

... / Nigeria's Megachurches, Liberia And S/leon Needs Your Financial Help. / Deeper Life Tops World Megachurches; Winners Chapel And RCCG, Others Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by kjhova(m): 10:28am On Oct 12, 2014
A typical Gulfstream GS650 (Bishop Oyedepo & Pastor Adeboye own at least one each) costs anywhere btw USD60m to USD120m (N10B to N20B) depending on the features & custom setting. Running costs of this aircraft is also typically about USD600K (N100M) p.a.

My brethren members of Winners Chapel & RCCG, please intensify payment of your tithes, seed offerings, regular offerings, project offerings, 1st fruit offering, special offerings etc...I see our 1st N1m coming in the horizon! Just claim it in the spirit & wait for it by faith.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by JuanDeDios: 10:28am On Oct 12, 2014
gorociano:

"There is no single government input on this premises," Oyedepo told Reuters in the interview. "We supply our water, we make our roads, then you ... say: 'Let's tax them'. For what?"
I also provide my own electricity yet I pay tax. Did Pastor Oyedepo also build the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway? Mschew. The government is not serious jare.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by abdurrazaq1995: 10:29am On Oct 12, 2014
Do you want to start making huge amount of money from the comfort of your home? your answer is yes, add us on whatsapp::::+2348146841688::: let join hands together and drive the both of this country to a greater height.Thank you
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 12, 2014
A time would come when the leaders of these money making ministries would stop address em selves as "Rev,General Overseer,Bishop et cetera" & pick up the latest title of "CEO"...

Since the Christian association of Nigeria (CAN) is now associating it self with politics,one would be wondering if they fighting to create a ministry under the federal govt,to also have a fair share of the country's wealth.

BUDGET PROVISIONS FOR THE
CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA

The sum of N200,000,000,000 has been approved by the national assembly for the year 2015,for the ministry of CAN.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by JuanDeDios: 10:30am On Oct 12, 2014
SlimSkipper:
angryif mega churches should b taxed wat of mega mosques or doesnt money also flow arnd in d mosque? angry
and even shrine sef, abi dem dey fear to tax 'SANGO nd IFA'
Name one imam or babalawo that has a private jet. I'm not saying mosques and shrines should not be taxed if they are making money but your comparison is off.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 12, 2014
dhammyg:
NIGERIA:RICH PASTORS,POOR WOSHIPPERS cheesy

A COUNTRY THAT INVESTS MORE IN RELIGION THAN EDUCATION,SCIENCE&TECHNOLOGY WILL NEVER DEVELOPwink THE FUNNY THING IS THAT DESPITE ALL THE CHURCHES THE COUNTRY IS STILL CORRUPT&MORALLY BANKRUPT shocked

RELIGIOUS BUT UNGODLY PEOPLEangry

Beautiful.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 12, 2014
datguru:
Don't they sow seeds, pay tithes and give offering in mosque?

The only compulsary tax in islam is the poor tax 2.5 percent of the wealth of the rich is given to the poor.

Seed are not sown nor are tilthe given in the mosque. An Imam ought to have his own source of livelyhood. Nobody owns a mosque, one becomes an imam of a mosque because of his knowledge.

I do not know why when anything negetive is said about christianity, the next thing christians do is to say ‘and so in islam‘.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by xynerise: 10:32am On Oct 12, 2014
Everyone will be judged according to his deed on earth.

Judgement will start from the church
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 12, 2014
yuzjet:
Hmmmm.... And u expect me to read all that @OP. Summary please!
Bro! Just take out time and read it. I assure you that you will enjoy it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by experimentist: 10:33am On Oct 12, 2014
#Team Cocks... Omo see reporter name shocked
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:34am On Oct 12, 2014
BEN1986:
It is high time churches started building public amenities like roads, public schools and hospitals. If after paying 19.2% as government tax. 10% as tithe, 5% as sowing of seed, 5% as pastor's car, 5% as men's dues.They do nothing to the society. haba. WETIN remain to take care of you, your wife and four kids. THERE IS GOD.
We can't develop where people hide gun in bible to brainwash people.
Dont compare mosque to church as they are not owned by proprietor as churches.
ONLY GOD WILL JUDGE.

Mr man, because you don't know does not mean it does not happen. Besides, one has to be careful with our politicians in power. I remember some years back when OGD was Ogun state governor, he sued Oyedepo for trying to tarr the road from Idi iroko to toll gate. OGD asked him to bring the money, but Oyedepo refused because he suspected foul play.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by igbinigiejeff(m): 10:34am On Oct 12, 2014
If I have my way churches will pay tax!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 12, 2014
abdurrazaq1995:
Do you want to start making huge amount of money from the comfort of your home? your answer is yes, add us on whatsapp::::+2348146841688::: let join hands together and drive the both of this country to a greater height.Thank you

When i was younger,i use to think that father Christmas was real...

No Nigerian would ever discover how to make money & go out telling people of his/her latest discovery

Enjoy your money alone bro!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by MEILYN(m): 10:36am On Oct 12, 2014
Lordjiggs09:
i suppose the saying by the Scriptures that it will be much easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man making heaven got no meaning to out latter day ministers anymore. God bless sincere preachers who still preach holiness and not prosperity. big respect to Pastors Adeboye, Kumuyi, Enenche, Muoka, etc. by their designation alone you know what they are here for.
The people you mentioned are not any better
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by texazzpete(m): 10:36am On Oct 12, 2014
gorociano:

"We use the income of the church to build schools, we use the income of the church to serve the needs of the poor," David Oyedepo, bishop of the popular Winners Chapel, told Reuters in an interview. "These are non-profit organizations."

'Serve the needs of the poor'? With that stratospheric school fees?

gorociano:

"There is no single government input on this premises," Oyedepo told Reuters in the interview. "We supply our water, we make our roads, then you ... say: 'Let's tax them'. For what?"

And this is the problem I have with these folks. I too generate most of my power, my healthcare is from my employer, a private institution, my water comes from a borehole that I pay for, my security is largely paid for by me (estate arrangement, gateman). Yet I still pay nearly 25% of my salary as tax without complaint.

Maybe I should be pushing to have my tax severely slashed downwards if this man of God can boastfully say this as an excuse for not paying tax.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 12, 2014
Ifebazz:

Are you from Mars?
Don't mind the chicken head

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Gaystar(m): 10:37am On Oct 12, 2014
I don't know why all this rancour and ranting about churches and pastors has become to intensified this days, are they expecting some poor pastors to keep up with the popular church rat trash? Sorry to say but the church's RATs are now very rich and bosty.
Where were all these people when most of the pastors were suffering and toiling to build these mega churches from zero point to where they are today? Are the said givers complaining? Are they not satisfied with what they are seeing in the lives of their leaders? How many of these noise makers can gather 50 people to worship and successfully pastor them to stay for a year?
There is grace upon their lives that no one can challenge. Leave them alone with their God. I'm happy that the Nigerian church cannot be pushed aside and God will continue to increase them to a new height.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:37am On Oct 12, 2014
GlorifiedTunde:

Mr man, because you don't know does not mean it does not happen. Besides, one has to be careful with our politicians in power. I remember some years back when OGD was Ogun state governor, he sued Oyedepo for trying to tarr the road from Idi iroko to toll gate. OGD asked him to bring the money, but Oyedepo refused because he suspected foul play.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:38am On Oct 12, 2014
GlorifiedTunde:
Success has much criticism, so is the Church of God.

When Christians were poor, no one said a word.

Now God has commanded wealth of nations into His Church as He prophesied in the scriptures, now they're hating.

Taxing the Church is double taxation. The members who pay tithes and offerings have already been taxed by the government.

And if you want to go ahead taxing religious groups, kindly include ifa priests, mosques and other temples - no exception.

Well OP you're not wrong at all noticing the Church is now very rich in Nigeria.

But all that list na fake, Oyedepo is worth far beyond all that, and baba Adeboye too I'm sure.

If your head is paining you because the Church is now rich, you will have to live with that headache for the rest of your life.

NB: These churches are the reason why Nigeria is still standing. Stop all Christians from praying, and Nigeria is gone. Do you think its because we're developed that Ebola was driven out?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by yuzjet(m): 10:39am On Oct 12, 2014
click2cbn:
Bro! Just take out time and read it. I assure you that you will enjoy it

Enjoy what? Is it a food?
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by flexing11(m): 10:40am On Oct 12, 2014
nora544:

Sorry that is not tru the people don't want a war.

Nigerians are to lazy to make something what would change the country, they are to lazy to go on the streets to fight for their rights.

Nigerians are good in praying and fasting because praying and fasting will make all better.

I just remember this 100 days fasting from adeboye did this change nigeria to a better country in the last month.

Nigerian love their God of Man and they woreshipp this God of man and that are the new Idols, the stars they can make what they want.

This are nigerian heros and Nigerian pentecost/charismatic christians are the greates IDOL worshippers in the world.
the boko haram,militants and the corruption issue if this happens in some african countries their we be full scare war take for instance gabon,the price of flour was increase for that singular act their was crises and the govt have to reverse the price back'nigerians are peace loving people and if not in totality i still believe that God love this nation go to 24hour prayer city mfm come and see prayer points for this nation.you i mean you when last have you prayed for your country?
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by severee(m): 10:40am On Oct 12, 2014
omenka:
I don't know if Oyedepo deliberately wanted to deceive this guy or something. How many poor people attend these so called "Charity" schools they build

#Shame.
. Charity sch ke? Since wen convenant university and faith academy turn charity sch? With jokes like this, oyedepo has a bright future in comedy

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by buJu234: 10:46am On Oct 12, 2014
Did jesus pay tithe NO.
did the apostles pay tithe NO
did paul pay tithe NO
Was tithe collections ever recorded in the new testament church No.

So wat these pastors re practicing is unbiblical based on the Christian doctrine.

the new testament churches were ran with free will offerings not tithe...

If the offerings re properly managed there will not be poor church...

But today's church account is neva read to the so called congregation which is the real church.

Thats why with all these so called churches and mosques increasing in great no. Poverty and corruption re also increasing too... why

HAVING A FORM RELIGION BUT DENYING the power thereof...

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Obaino2013(m): 10:47am On Oct 12, 2014
I laugh in swahili grin

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by flexing11(m): 10:48am On Oct 12, 2014
igbinigiejeff:
If I have my way churches will pay tax!!!
stop blabbing have your way first before crucifying the church
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Jabodo(m): 10:48am On Oct 12, 2014
Superstar007:
In other news, make I go open my church. All I need right now is who will be the Pastor's wife(Mummy GO). If interested please apply.

How far....let me be your Mummy G.O.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by makazona(m): 10:50am On Oct 12, 2014
so church members pay 10% tithe from dia labour.
the pastor shld pay 10% of dia income as tithe

or wont they pay tithe too?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 12, 2014
flexing11:
why should churches be taxed they played a significant role i tell you prayers from churches alone,help nigeria as a country the most reason why nigeria is still one is because of the daily prayers from this great men of God.

Getting rid of people like you would automatically set Nigeria in the right direction.

You are always taking other people's credits and giving them to your pastorprenuers.

Brave and selfless health workers contain an epidemic, pastors take all the credit.

Soldiers sacrifice their lives daily to keep the country safe from terrorists, pastors take all the credit.

Pastors take credit for everything from winning us the AFCON 2013 to making us Africa's top economy.

Maybe, just maybe, we should have just let pastors' prayers do the magic against Ebola instead of using our precious doctors, nurses and volunteers.

Maybe we should withdraw our troops from Borno and let the pastors' prayers and curses deal with BH, what say you, flexing11?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by MrKevinBig(m): 10:51am On Oct 12, 2014
SlimSkipper:
angryif mega churches should b taxed wat of mega mosques or doesnt money also flow arnd in d mosque? angry
and even shrine sef, abi dem dey fear to tax 'SANGO nd IFA'
and then politicians go also the pay tax on all their assets +cars
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by unlimitedbosco: 10:54am On Oct 12, 2014
Gaystar:
I don't know why all this rancour and ranting about churches and pastors has become to intensified this days, are they expecting some poor pastors to keep up with the popular church rat trash? Sorry to say but the church's RATs are now very rich and bosty.
Where were all these people when most of the pastors were suffering and toiling to build these mega churches from zero point to where they are today? Are the said givers complaining? Are they not satisfied with what they are seeing in the lives of their leaders? How many of these noise makers can gather 50 people to worship and successfully pastor them to stay for a year?
There is grace upon their lives that no one can challenge. Leave them alone with their God. I'm happy that the Nigerian church cannot be pushed aside and God will continue to increase them to a new height.
smart nd greedy men making money from poor nd stupid jesus
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:55am On Oct 12, 2014
dhammyg:
NIGERIA:RICH PASTORS,POOR WOSHIPPERS cheesy

A COUNTRY THAT INVESTS MORE IN RELIGION THAN EDUCATION,SCIENCE&TECHNOLOGY WILL NEVER DEVELOPwink THE FUNNY THING IS THAT DESPITE ALL THE CHURCHES THE COUNTRY IS STILL CORRUPT&MORALLY BANKRUPT shocked

RELIGIOUS BUT UNGODLY PEOPLEangry

Your argument does not follow and writing in capitals(shouting) doesn't make your assertions.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by kino: 10:57am On Oct 12, 2014
OP should have been direct in its naming.
These are not churches or mosques. They are Business ventures run by false proclaimed prophets.

Its has become so cancerous that u can see the effect on CAN. Don't blame the catholics for leaving CAN. They knew these were business men and not annointed ones as their brainwased followers claim

That's my 1c contribution

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye: Muhammad Ali Was My Hero, The Day I Cried For Him / House Of Rainbow Celebrates 10th Anniversary (photos) / I Sold My Son To Buy Cocaine –bishop Peller (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.