Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,536 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy (49601 Views)

... / Nigeria's Megachurches, Liberia And S/leon Needs Your Financial Help. / Deeper Life Tops World Megachurches; Winners Chapel And RCCG, Others Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by konos(f): 10:58am On Oct 12, 2014
dhammyg:
NIGERIA:RICH PASTORS,POOR WOSHIPPERS cheesy

A COUNTRY THAT INVESTS MORE IN RELIGION THAN EDUCATION,SCIENCE&TECHNOLOGY WILL NEVER DEVELOPwink THE FUNNY THING IS THAT DESPITE ALL THE CHURCHES THE COUNTRY IS STILL CORRUPT&MORALLY BANKRUPT shocked

RELIGIOUS BUT UNGODLY PEOPLEangry
I hear youyou grin
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by timwezzb(m): 10:59am On Oct 12, 2014
People plz stop complaing nd pay ur TITHES nd u'll all see what the LORD will do in ur Lyf! GOD Bliss U all nd Happy Sunday!
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:59am On Oct 12, 2014
JuanDeDios:

I also provide my own electricity yet I pay tax. Did Pastor Oyedepo also build the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway? Mschew. The government is not serious jare.

It is irresponsible for the Nigerian government to tax citizens, only to waste the money on themselves and their cronies. This is highly unacceptable.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by BEN1986: 10:59am On Oct 12, 2014
A country where people can't read the bible themselves, someone reads it, and interprets for you. This is the result. I got a question here. Those in Winner chapel around the country, how many of you or your other members are in Covenant UNIVERSITY? Yet you insult govt and pray against ASUU strike. Was that the plan of building the church School.
In short there will be more politicians in heaven than the Church CEOs., at least den dey try small.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 12, 2014
gorociano:
By Tim Cocks

OTA Nigeria (Reuters) - When a guesthouse belonging to one of Nigeria's leading Christian pastors collapsed last month, killing 115 mostly South African pilgrims, attention focused on the multimillion-dollar "megachurches" that form a huge, untaxed sector of Africa's top economy.

Hundreds of millions of dollars change hands each year in these popular Pentecostal houses of worship, which are modeled on their counterparts in the United States.

Some of the churches can hold more than 200,000 worshippers and, with their attendant business empires, they constitute a significant section of the economy, employing tens of thousands of people and raking in tourist dollars, as well as exporting Christianity globally.

But exactly how much of Nigeria's $510 billion GDP they make up is difficult to assess, since the churches are, like the oil sector in Africa's top energy producer, largely opaque entities.

"They don't submit accounts to anybody," says Bismarck Rewane, economist and CEO of Lagos consultancy Financial Derivatives. "At least six church leaders have private jets, so they have money. How much? No one really knows."

When Nigeria recalculated its GDP in March, its economy became Africa's biggest, as previously poorly captured sectors such as mobile phones, e-commerce and its prolific "Nollywood" entertainment industry were specifically included in estimates.

There was no such separate listing for the "megachurches", whose main source of income is "tithe", the 10 percent or so of their income that followers are asked to contribute.

As the churches have charity status, they have no obligation to open their books, and certainly don't have to fill in tax returns -- an exemption that is increasingly controversial in Nigeria, where poverty remains pervasive despite the oil riches.

The pastors argue their charity work should exempt them.

"We use the income of the church to build schools, we use the income of the church to serve the needs of the poor," David Oyedepo, bishop of the popular Winners Chapel, told Reuters in an interview. "These are non-profit organizations."

PASTORS ON FORBES LIST

Nonetheless, the surging popularity of the megachurches among the Christians who make up half of Nigeria's 170 million population has propelled their preachers into the ranks of the richest people in Africa.

In 2011, Forbes magazine estimated the fortunes of Nigeria's five richest pastors. Oyedepo topped the list, with an estimated net worth of $150 million.

He was followed by "Pastor Chris" Oyakhilome of Believers' LoveWorld Incorporated, also known as the Christ Embassy and popular with executives and politicians, on $30 million to $50 million.

TB Joshua, pastor of the Synagogue Church of All Nations, at the center of the recent diplomatic storm over the deaths in its guesthouse, was thought to have $10 million to $15 million.

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) declined to comment on how churches fit into their GDP figures, but a source there said they were included as "non-profit", which falls under "other services" in the latest figures. In 2013, the category contributed 2.5 percent of GDP, the same as the financial sector.

A former banker at Nigeria's United Bank for Africa, who declined to be named, recalled being approached five years ago by a church that was bringing in $5 million a week from contributions at home or abroad.

"They wanted to make some pretty big investments: real estate, shares," he said. "They wanted to issue a bond to borrow, and then use the weekly flows to pay the coupon."

In the end, he said, the bank turned down the proposal on ethical grounds.

Yet Nigerian churches do often invest large amounts of their congregations' money in shares and property, at home and abroad, he and another banking source said.

One pastor bought 3 billion naira ($18 million) worth of shares in the defunct Finbank, which later merged with FCMB, after it was rescued in a bail-out in 2009, a fund manager who handled the deal told Reuters. The pastor used a nominee trust account to keep his name off the books.

In 2011, Oyakhilome was investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and charged with laundering $35 million of contributions to his church in foreign bank accounts. He denied all wrongdoing and the case was dismissed for lack of evidence.

Oyakhilome was not available for comment and Joshua's media team declined a request for an interview with him.

MIDAS TOUCH

Oyedepo's headquarters, "Canaanland", is a 10,500-acre (4250-hectare) campus in Ota, outside the commercial capital Lagos. It comprises a university, two halls of accommodation, restaurants and a church seating 50,000 people, with a total overflow capacity of five times that.

"You can see that everything this man touches turns to gold," Nigerian Agriculture Minister Akinwumi Adesina said in a speech at a reception for Oyedepo's 60th birthday at Canaanland last month.

"May the grace of God abide with you," he added, to a rapturous "Amen!" from the guests in a marquee.

Other dignitaries present included twice-president Olusegun Obasanjo and former military ruler Yakubu Gowon. A choir sang gospel songs as the guests cut an elaborate six-tiered cake and popped fizzy grape juice out of champagne bottles in golden wrapping -- alcohol is banned in Canaanland.

The next day, he delivered four Sunday services in a row to tens of thousands of cheering followers, his white-suited figure projected onto large flat-screen televisions all around.

"From today, no evil spirit, no demon will survive the Almighty!" he shouted, and the crowd roared "Amen!".

A spokesman said the church has 5,000 branches across Nigeria, and 1,000 more in 63 other countries across five continents. But Oyedepo's empire also includes two fee-paying universities that he built from scratch, a publishing house for Christian self-help books, and an elite high school.

Other pastors have similarly diversified ways of getting the Gospel of Christian salvation out.

Oyakhilome owns magazines, newspapers and 24-hour TV station, and Joshua draws miracle-seekers from all over the world with claims that the holy water he has blessed cures otherwise incurable ailments such as HIV/AIDS.

Before Joshua built his 10,000-seat headquarters at Ikotun-Egbe in outer Lagos, the area was part swamp, part abandoned industrial estate.

Now, it is a boom town with shops, hotels, eateries and bars catering largely to the travelers who come not only from West Africa but also from all corners of the globe to hear his sermons. Joshua also runs a TV station.

"BLESSED BY THE LORD"

Guests entering Oyedepo's birthday marquee in Canaanland would have seen a picture of the poor household in southwest Nigeria where he grew up, testament to a rags-to-riches story that many Nigerians would love to emulate.

Like U.S. televangelists, Winners Chapel preaches the "prosperity gospel" that faith in Jesus Christ lifts people out of poverty, and that message partly explains the explosion of the Pentecostal movement in sub-Saharan Africa, where misfortune and poverty are often seen as having supernatural causes.

"We see giving as the only way to be blessed. Blessing other people is a way of keeping the blessings flowing," said Oyedepo, whose blessings include a Gulfstream V jet and several BMWs.

Giving to support the church and its work is something the faithful are encouraged to do, a Christian tradition that was a pillar of the Roman Catholic church in medieval Europe, just as it has been a major money-spinner for U.S. televangelists.

Aneke Chika, a business analyst in an oil services company, told Reuters on the steps of Oyedepo's church that she set aside 20,000 naira of her 200,000 naira ($1,218) salary every month.

Asked about Forbes' estimate of his fortune, Oyedepo told Reuters: "For me, to have fortune means someone who has what he needs at any point in time. I don't see myself as having $150 million stacked up somewhere. Whatever way they found their figures, I am only able to say I am blessed by the Lord."

He said he could not estimate the church's total revenues or expenditure on items such as salaries because the various departments, including education, were too diverse.

The enterprises on the Canaanland campus, from the shops selling cold sodas and bread, to a woman boiling instant noodles and eggs for breakfast in a lodge, to pop-up book stalls hawking Oyedepo's prolific literary output, are owned by the church's estate, which employs their staff on its payroll, workers at all the outlets told Reuters.

Winners Chapel's Corporate Affairs department said the church employed more than 18,000 people in Nigeria alone.

Oyedepo says the wealth the church gathers is invested in expanding it, and that if he did not use a private jet, he would be unable to oversee its many foreign operations and still return to Ota every week in time for Sunday's worship.

Britain's Charity Commission says it is reviewing potential conflicts of interest in his finances, and last month the Home Office (interior ministry) barred him from Britain, though it declined to say why.

Oyedepo said he knew nothing of the commission's review, nor had the Home Office explained to him why he was barred.

A national conference to debate Nigeria's constitution this year proposed that the megachurches should be taxed.

But with an election coming up in February, it is debatable whether President Goodluck Jonathan, who is close to several megapastors, would risk upsetting these influential men and their hefty congregations with a fat tax bill.

"There is no single government input on this premises," Oyedepo told Reuters in the interview. "We supply our water, we make our roads, then you ... say: 'Let's tax them'. For what?"

(1 US dollar = 164.2 naira)

(Additional reporting by Chijioke Ohuocha in Lagos and Ahmed Aboulenein in London; Editing by Pascal Fletcher and Kevin Liffey)

From: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0I104F20141012?irpc=932

This guy dey màrrà ni! Him and his congregation no dey drive 'em cars for roads wey government build? Abeg tax 'em jare!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by JimmyFawks(m): 11:02am On Oct 12, 2014
morbid:
Little wonder every Tom, Dick and Harry now wants to be a pastor;even when the person cannot discern a simple analogy. They give varying analyses to the biible lines,causing more confusion than ever in the Christendom. New age churches are the major culprits,breeding short term christians everywhere,hoodwinking them into believing well-argued fallacies,while using the bible as their premise. Proliferation of churches(new generation pentecostal churches) is the bane of Christendom in Nigeria.
You couldn't have said it any better. Subtle!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by lordTK(m): 11:03am On Oct 12, 2014
sirjohnson:
Reading
okay
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by unlimitedbosco: 11:05am On Oct 12, 2014
Gaystar:
I don't know why all this rancour and ranting about churches and pastors has become to intensified this days, are they expecting some poor pastors to keep up with the popular church rat trash? Sorry to say but the church's RATs are now very rich and bosty.
Where were all these people when most of the pastors were suffering and toiling to build these mega churches from zero point to where they are today? Are the said givers complaining? Are they not satisfied with what they are seeing in the lives of their leaders? How many of these noise makers can gather 50 people to worship and successfully pastor them to stay for a year?
There is grace upon their lives that no one can challenge. Leave them alone with their God. I'm happy that the Nigerian church cannot be pushed aside and God will continue to increase them to a new height.
smart nd greedy men making money from poor nd brutalized jesus

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by mustymatic(m): 11:07am On Oct 12, 2014
Meanwhile...in churches today

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by ghostofsparta(m): 11:07am On Oct 12, 2014
joseph1832:
Wherever you see poverty, religion is not far off. Nigerian pastors, making money out of the misery of Nigerians. This is a trait Nigerian pastors and politicians have in common.

claremont:
Religious institutions represent the biggest industries in Nigeria. They get their money from peddling 'snake's oil' to a barely lettered populace. They then use the money derived to set up overpriced schools which they then offer to the same barely lettered populace. They are exploiting the mass ignorance endemic in a population that has put its faith in the supernatural due to the failings of the natural leaders.
[size=18pt]That's why it is argued convincingly HERE that Abrahamic religions should be suppressed if not extinguished completely from our society so as to catch up with the kind of progression. But are enlightened youths who are proud to be bear English names and Jewish names like you and the one above you up to the task?[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Sanguine77(m): 11:09am On Oct 12, 2014
Church business is serious business. The act of deception in God's name has been taking to a new peak. Nigeria is highly religious but overtly godless. May God expose and punish all religious charlatans.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Samueldo(m): 11:11am On Oct 12, 2014
What is the usefulness of this aticle the writer will still write this
"There is no single government input on this premises," Oyedepo told Reuters in the interview. "We supply our water, we make our roads, then you ... say: 'Let's tax them'. For what?"
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by flexing11(m): 11:12am On Oct 12, 2014
hifaif:

Getting rid of people like you would automatically set Nigeria in the right direction.

You are always taking other people's credits and giving them to your pastorprenuers.

Brave and selfless health workers contain an epidemic, pastors take all the credit.

Soldiers sacrifice their lives daily to keep the country safe from terrorists, pastors take all the credit.

Pastors take credit for everything from winning us the AFCON 2013 to making us Africa's top economy.

Maybe, just maybe, we should have just let pastors' prayers do the magic against Ebola instead of using our precious doctors, nurses and volunteers.

Maybe we should withdraw our troops from Borno and let the pastors' prayers and curses deal with BH, what say you, flexing11?
you are on track but prayer is also a key factor even the bible said it,
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by konos(f): 11:14am On Oct 12, 2014
BEN1986:
A country where people can't read the bible themselves, someone reads it, and interprets for you. This is the result. I got a question here. Those in Winner chapel around the country, how many of you or your other members are in Covenant UNIVERSITY? Yet you insult govt and pray against ASUU strike. Was that the plan of building the church School.
In short there will be more politicians in heaven than the Church CEOs., at least den dey try small.
My bro judge not so that you will not be judged. I leave my comment wen we get to heaven. But for me and my house I will serve the Lord. And the Lord says pay ur tithe i will keep doing so and will keep going higher. Stay blessed in Jesus name amen embarassed
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by blackprowler: 11:15am On Oct 12, 2014
SlimSkipper:
angryif mega churches should b taxed wat of mega mosques or doesnt money also flow arnd in d mosque? angry
and even shrine sef, abi dem dey fear to tax 'SANGO nd IFA'

Yes, let them all be taxed. No place for anyone to hide and blackmail others. We will know from where the govt will rake in the most amount. That's when you'll see religious houses showing their true hypocrisy by lying about how much they get. We're in religious chains in this country
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by pring: 11:15am On Oct 12, 2014
I can never give this men my money in the name of tithe.
Who do they give thier own tithe to?
why can't his universities tuition fee be free or reduced?
This theifs only brainwash people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by kunmis1(m): 11:22am On Oct 12, 2014
e concern una

BTW

1. Kissing your man is not a problem, The problem is
how you do it. Stop making sounds like a car crash
"pitom pitom pitommi"! Abeg U dey disturb me.
2. Screaming during sex is romantic and its not a
problem, The problem is screaming and shouting
like werey "JESUS, Oh my God, Holy mary".. You
are having sex, Not a Church service! And besides I
don't knw if you are reminding God to punish you
latter.
3. Wearing short skimpy skirts or dresses is not a
problem in fact its very sexy I just pray there won't
be forced entry into your Sin Hole , The problem is
wearing your mini looking all nice and walking
around and when you see guys you try to pull it
down, Now you want it to be long?.... Abi.. Keep
deceiving urself na. # sMh
4. Loving your man is not a problem as it is
KOKANYE for me but the problem is changing your
Surname to his on Facebook. Bitch his mother
doesn't even know you ...Chill!! And I would hate to
read ur post later saying MEN ARE WICKED OR
CHEATS.
5. Calling all men dogs is not the problem, The
problem is tagging yourself saint when you know he
didn't Bleep himself but you.. So since you did it with
him, kindly say I HAVE BEEN SLEEPING WITH A
DOG OR DOGS as the case may be and please let us
know the breed of dogs you came to the world from
coz ur dad is male too and your mum have always
been his bed partner..
6. Some girls are looking for tall guys with pink lips
and six packs when their father is short, pot bellied
with pomo lips you better be contented like your
Mother # lol.
7. If runs girls dont fail sunday's church services I
wonder who will?
8. Saying all guys are the same is not my problem bt
is 2face and me the same? Is ur dad and ur teacher
the same
9. Bleaching your skin is not a problem, The problem
is having white face, yellow hands chocolate lips
and black legs. Are you zebra?
10.you are saying all men are goat is not my
problem,i accept buh av u given ur broda and ur dad
grasses to eat today?
11. And if you Read this without a COMMENT or LIKE
hmmm! I really wonder what your problem is?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 12, 2014
They are busy raising structures and millionaires when they are supposed to b raising disciples for christ. How do dese "churches" even gve back to God??

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Freest(m): 11:24am On Oct 12, 2014
daresma93:
Am aa christian bt dat does not implies I will b brainwash into parting with ny hard earned cash all in d name of tithe our lord JESUS christ has paid it all sad
Thief!!! undecided
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by JuanDeDios: 11:24am On Oct 12, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

It is irresponsible for the Nigerian government to tax citizens, only to waste the money on themselves and their cronies. This is highly unacceptable.
Fair point.

But tax defaulters have no moral high ground since every one benefits from government amenities like roads (god and bad), subsidized hospitals and cheap university education - it is just that we don't benefit as much as we should. In any case, that is not the point Pastor Oyedepo is making. He wants special treatment because (1) He helps the poor (2) He's working for God (3) He built his own power installations and boreholes. His argument doesn't stand up.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by kjhova(m): 11:24am On Oct 12, 2014
flexing11:
you are on track but prayer is also a key factor even the bible said it,

Prayers don't do eish. The efficacy of prayer is fallacious in every way you test that hypothesis.

Will Nigeria survive if we withdraw our 20,000 troops operating in the North-East only to replace them with 50,000 well fasted prayer warriors from MFM?

Should we have withdrawn the WHO & all volunteer healthcare givers who fought off the ebola scare in Nigeria & replaced them with seasoned MOG's?

Can we suspend the need for your 4yrs training in the University only for you to go and pray your way through 2nd semester year 4 exams?

At its best, praying is only useful as a form of psychological enhancement.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by psp2pc(m): 11:25am On Oct 12, 2014
Until i see a pastor who can die for member(s) of the congregation Like jesus did. Only then will i say truly this is a man of God

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 12, 2014
may lisa:
I praise God. Its the lord doing and it's beautiful in our sight, touch not my church and do my prophet no harm. But why always churches what about mega mosque abi money no dey flow for there.
The mosque doesn't operate like that

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by blackprowler: 11:28am On Oct 12, 2014
For the benefit of younger nairalanders (most) born less than 30yrs ago, this wasn't how life was. The explosion in church business coincided with the period Babangida wanted to use sudden hardship to kill all Nigerians (1985-1993). There was Nigeria before then. There was Redeemed(for example) for a long time before then but no one ever knew it until Adeboye saw the business potential with the great hardship the people were going through. Anyone is free to go to Corporate Affairs Commission( I didn't say CAC not to confuse it with the curch by same initials) and find out number of churches from 1900(lol) to 1986 when Babangida fully started to destroy Nigeria and from 1986 to today. I can bet you the ratio will be more than 1:100 even though the latter time frame is one-quarter the period till 1986. Ask older people who aren't yet trapped in the church prison

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by rajoys: 11:29am On Oct 12, 2014
SlimSkipper:
angryif mega churches should b taxed wat of mega mosques or doesnt money also flow arnd in d mosque? angry
and even shrine sef, abi dem dey fear to tax 'SANGO nd IFA'

How many Imam or head of Ifa or head of Sango or any other religion in Nigeria have heard bought private jet. Grow up friend. I am a christian and a born again one for that matter. So do not think am saying this to castigate Christianity or Pentecostalism in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by pring: 11:29am On Oct 12, 2014
flexing11:
why should churches be taxed they played a significant role i tell you prayers from churches alone,help nigeria as a country the most reason why nigeria is still one is because of the daily prayers from this great men of God.
your a big fool.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by sage2(m): 11:30am On Oct 12, 2014
Let the government first learn how to use its money well, then we can contemplate tasking the Church. After tasking Christians, you still want their tithes and offerings tasked. Almost all the Central Mosques where built by the state. How many Churches have the government built even in Christian dominated states? Christians even build schools and hospitals to take off a significant burden from the governments shoulder. I have not been to Church for a while and I am not the best of tithers but I know very well that tithes and offering is part and parcel of Christianity. No is no ambiguity as regards tithing. It is either you do it, or you don't do it. But never you even think that those who pay their tithes are fools. The last time I check, they never seems to run of of what to give as tithes. Won't you rather give and continue to have to give than never give and never have to give? Abeg make una leave us alone. The Churches are really doing a good job of telling their members to be hopeful and ambitious. We can't afford to lets our people brake loose and go astray like Boko haram.

Reminds me of my school days. I was the generous guy who declare surplus for everybody. Some saw this as weakness they had to take advantage of. Even when they have money and can afford to buy something for themselves, they would still come to me to complain and I always helped. Well, to cut the long story short, they were always broke and lamenting and I was always buoyant and chopping money long before P Square. Someone who makes enough money to even declare surplus for friends is anything but a fool. But foolish people will never understand this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by tessiana: 11:32am On Oct 12, 2014
If u are interested in a promo job that is coming up in abuja and lafia and the pay is 25k. Please call 08037632704 before evening. Please tell ur friends
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 12, 2014
A Christian neighbourhood? I'd move there.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:34am On Oct 12, 2014
JuanDeDios:

Fair point.

But tax defaulters have no moral high ground since every one benefits from government amenities like roads (god and bad), subsidized hospitals and cheap university education - it is just that we don't benefit as much as we should. In any case, that is not the point Pastor Oyedepo is making. He wants special treatment because (1) He helps the poor (2) He's working for God (3) He built his own power installations and boremholes. His argument doesn't stand up.

I was speaking in general.

It is the civic responsibility of a citizen to pay his taxes,and a so called 'man of God's should be a stellar example of a responsible citizen.

I agree Oyedepo has no excuse.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by MightySparrow: 11:37am On Oct 12, 2014
This useless article must have been written by a Christian. In the north, mosques do not pay electricity bill but churches do. Churches do community projects. most of the primary schools and secondary schools that are now Government schools were built by churches. I know churches sink boreholes, buy transformers, run orphanages, rehabilitation centres for drug addicts, give scholarship for indigent students.

How else dou want churches to giveback to the nation?
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by VoteOutPDPJona: 11:38am On Oct 12, 2014
Seek you first his kingdom, every other thing will be added to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Oyedepo's Mega Real Estate Project / Charles Obong Buried With N17M In Uganda To Bribe God To Enter Into Heaven / Lessons To Learn From The Life Of An Eagle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.