Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? (2539 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Can I Marry and run a family With A Salary Of 120k per month? / Would You Share A Common Purse With Your Wife/Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 3:05pm On Oct 12, 2014
For some time now I've been thinking about this. I'd love to have a joint purse with my future spouse. I believe this will make issues like budgeting and resource allocation a lot easier. Listening to numerous opinions online and offline, many people believe that this idea may breed problems especially when partners' background and income differs.

Would you join purse with your partner? If you are currently into it, kindly share its challenges and how you were able to manage them? What is best way and in what situation should you run a common purse?

I'm eager to learn from Nairalanders. Please don't go away without putting in a comment.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 3:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
ultrazone:
For some time now I've been thinking about this. I'd love to have a joint purse with my future spouse. I believe this will make issues like budgeting and resource allocation a lot easier. Listening to numerous opinions online and offline, many people believe that this idea may breed problems especially when partners' background and income differs.
Would you join purse with your partner? If you are currently into it, kindly share its challenges and how you were able to manage them? What is best way and in what situation should you run a common purse?
I'm eager to learn from Nairalanders. Please don't go away without putting in a comment.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by justmag(m): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2014
Not a good idea in d early stages of marriage. ..maybe with time
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 4:13pm On Oct 12, 2014
justmag:
Not a good idea in d early stages of marriage. ..maybe with time
Can you expantiate on this, Sir?
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Islie: 4:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
we can have both joint and single account.....

but operating joint account alone is a no no for me.....
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by samflex(m): 4:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
Just pray she's not the materialistic type or the "aso-ebi" kinda woman. That's all...you know the rest
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by egopersonified(f): 8:19pm On Oct 12, 2014
As long as the purse would be in my care, no problem.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2014
Islie:
we can have both joint and single account.....

but operating joint account alone is a no no for me.....
Please share more on these joint and single accounts. Why is a joint account a no for you, Sir?
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 9:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
samflex:
Just pray she's not the materialistic type or the "aso-ebi" kinda woman. That's all...you know the rest
This is why there needs to be a lot of mutual understanding for this to work. Differences in taste and background may pose problems though.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by EfemenaXY: 10:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
It makes sense if you've got bills in both your names to payoff like mortgages, council tax, utility bills, etc.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Kanwulia: 11:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
Yes!
But with only minus $50 dollars there! kiss

Not in my life or DEATH time!
Especially if he is a NIGERIAN MAN! kiss
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 11:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
Kanwulia:
Yes!
But with only minus $50 dollars there! kiss

Not in my life or DEATH time!
Especially if he is a NIGERIAN MAN! kiss
Wow! shocked You must have strong reasons for this opinion. Feel free to share.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Kanwulia: 11:48pm On Oct 12, 2014
ultrazone:

Wow! shocked You must have strong reasons for this opinion. Feel free to share.

I don't like to do anything 'jointly'. . . I live in an INDEPENDENT WOMAN'S WORLD! cool
It is just not my heritage.
My mother did not do so. . . I don't know any females around me with such a concept.
Very foreign. . .that's all! kiss
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 11:52pm On Oct 12, 2014
EfemenaXY:
It makes sense if you've got bills in both your names to payoff like mortgages, council tax, utility bills, etc.
Hmm, you struck a point there but I feel this joint purse may come in handy to rescue a partner struggling with his/her commitments. This is useful especially when the other partner's demands are lesser. Besides, the knowledge that any financial commitment made by either party will affect both of them (joint purse) may help them prioritize well, giving preference to their needs over their wants.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by EfemenaXY: 12:09am On Oct 13, 2014
ultrazone:

Hmm, you struck a point there but I feel this joint purse may come in handy to rescue a partner struggling with his/her commitments. This is useful especially when the other partner's demands are lesser. Besides, the knowledge that any financial commitment made by either party will affect both of them (joint purse) may help them prioritize well, giving preference to their needs over their wants.

I don't think it's got anything to do with partner's demands being "lesser". Infact that statement is so annoying to read. (I'm not referring to you here). Annoying because operating a joint account with your spouse requires a high degree of self-control and maturity. Annoying again because that scenario of a partner - most likely female - demanding irrelevant stuff would most likely be your typical Naija wife. It's childish, demeaning, and portrays the woman as an utterly dependent person with very little grey matter up there.

Your last statement however is absolutely spot on - especially for those who live in the developed world / West. Achieving a high standard of living doesn't come cheap and the financial burden that comes with it is a lot easier to shoulder when both partners work. Additionally, at this end (neck) of the woods were one's credit history can be a deal breaker, the last thing any reasonable couple would want would be to jeopardize their credit scoring by defaulting on payments to creditors.

So yes, prioritizing and sorting out your "must haves" over your "would like to have" should always be the main consideration when operating joint accounts.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by LewsTherin: 6:23am On Oct 13, 2014
Like Efe said, its ablut your level of maturity. Both you and your spouse. Its about how much understanding you both share.

I don't just run a joint acoount with my Lady, we work together and get paid on the same cheque. I am only to happy to buy anything my Lady needs. She is only to happy to make sure we don't spend unnecessarily. I am also careful in my spending. We've lived like this for 3 years and have no plans to change or adjust. We both have chosen to be responsible about our finances.

It's a matter of understanding, maturity and most of all, it's a choice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 9:49am On Oct 13, 2014
LewsTherin:

It's a matter of understanding, maturity and most of all, it's a choice.

Thanks for the insight Sir. I believe this arrangement can work in any relationship where those three factors exist. Nonetheless, I'm interested in knowing what challenges you've had so far. I find it difficult to believe that the going has always been smooth, forgive me.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by LewsTherin: 11:30am On Oct 13, 2014
ultrazone:

Thanks for the insight Sir. I believe this arrangement can work in any relationship where those three factors exist. Nonetheless, I'm interested in knowing what challenges you've had so far. I find it difficult to believe that the going has always been smooth, forgive me.

Since no offence intended, no offence taken.

My Lady and I agreed to always be open with each other from our dating days. After we got married, we had some very rough financial times. I lost my job, and our hustle wasn't yielding much so we learnt to be clear with how much we had, how much we needed for daily living and how much we could spend on luxuries and date night.

Thank God, things have turned around. We run a joint account for savings and big spendings. My personal account does the rest. At first, she kept the ATM card while I kept the cheque book. But ALL expenses were mutually agreed on. My Lady is beautiful and looking good aint cheap! grin. When she realised that she was in danger of spending more, she gave the card back to me. So basically I can control spending. But I don't. I may hold the cash but she decides what we need. I love her looking beautiful so most of our purchases are for her. She does pressure me into buying stuff but I don't care anyways. I spend big though on electronic gadgets so in order to keep our finances balanced, I keep my purchases few and far between cos each single purchase of mine can add up to the last 10 purchases of hers!!!

Here's how we basically keep the peace. We go shopping together. Always. If for any reason the other isn't around, said other must be informed as quickly as possible. If one makes a personal expense, same must purchase something of silmilar worth for the other.

But I must make this clear. It is only possible because we discuss and deliberate on everything everytime. So personal expenses are never strange or unexpected. We always already have an idea of what the other wants and needs so when such expense is made even at no notice, none if us is surprised.

Has the going been always smooth between us? Strangely, yes. Cos sorry is never difficult. Please is always close. I love you is everyday. We pray together and know that God is the reason why we are.

It's a choice. We chose from the beginning to live like this. And it's been so worth it.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by LewsTherin: 11:36am On Oct 13, 2014
P.S
This can only work if both parties remain true to the agreement.

I have decided for myself by myself to never break this agreement irrespective of what happens. She knows this. That knowledge gives her the confidence to also keep to the agreement. I police myself. I don't police her. I check myself, not her. I control myself, not her. So far she has kept to our agreement and I choose not to believe she will ever break it for any reason. I choose that. So I don't worry myself that she will dissapoint me as I won't even believe it if she does.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 13, 2014
@lewstherin, beautiful!

I've watched my parents do the joint account thing all my life and they're perfectly fine with it kiss
I ain't fine with it though cos there's no chance of taking from dad first, and then mum angry grin

If applicable, I'll do same with my partner
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by LewsTherin: 12:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
alutacontinua:

I've watched my parents do the joint account thing all my life and they're perfectly fine with it kiss
I ain't fine with it though cos there's no chance of taking from dad first, and then mum angry grin

Bloody criminal grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by bukatyne(f): 12:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
LewsTherin:

Since no offence intended, no offence taken.

My Lady and I agreed to always be open with each other from our dating days. After we got married, we had some very rough financial times. I lost my job, and our hustle wasn't yielding much so we learnt to be clear with how much we had, how much we needed for daily living and how much we could spend on luxuries and date night.

Thank God, things have turned around. We run a joint account for savings and big spendings. My personal account does the rest. At first, she kept the ATM card while I kept the cheque book. But ALL expenses were mutually agreed on. My Lady is beautiful and looking good aint cheap! grin. When she realised that she was in danger of spending more, she gave the card back to me. So basically I can control spending. But I don't. I may hold the cash but she decides what we need. I love her looking beautiful so most of our purchases are for her. She does pressure me into buying stuff but I don't care anyways. I spend big though on electronic gadgets so in order to keep our finances balanced, I keep my purchases few and far between cos each single purchase of mine can add up to the last 10 purchases of hers!!!

Here's how we basically keep the peace. We go shopping together. Always. If for any reason the other isn't around, said other must be informed as quickly as possible. If one makes a personal expense, same must purchase something of silmilar worth for the other.

But I must make this clear. It is only possible because we discuss and deliberate on everything everytime. So personal expenses are never strange or unexpected. We always already have an idea of what the other wants and needs so when such expense is made even at no notice, none if us is surprised.

Has the going been always smooth between us? Strangely, yes. Cos sorry is never difficult. Please is always close. I love you is everyday. We pray together and know that God is the reason why we are.

It's a choice. We chose from the beginning to live like this. And it's been so worth it.

Perfect kiss
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
LewsTherin:

I must confess, this is truly inspiring!
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 4:47pm On Oct 13, 2014
alutacontinua:
@lewstherin, beautiful!

If applicable, I'll do same with my partner

lol...I'm watching you grin
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2014
I don't think I can do it,am impromptu,and heavy spender.

I buy things even without planning it,or within my proposed expenditure. I don't want a situation which my wife might feel cheated.

Joint account,and personal account will be the best for me.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by TV01(m): 5:07pm On Oct 13, 2014
ultrazone:

In truth, a "joint purse" in itself is neither here nor there. Having one acocunt doesn't make it easier and having two does not make it more difficult. It does not create problems neither does it resolve issues.

The essence is in the maturity and mutuality of the couple - being unified in your plans, and being honest & transparent in your financial dealings.

Then, whatever you plan, be it using one account or many - and with the willingness & flexibility to adapt over time - will be just fine.

I appreciate your looking into the matter before tying the knot.

Don't sweat the small stuff grin!

LewsTherin:
If one makes a personal expense, same must purchase something of silmilar worth for the other.
I find this odd? 1 Corinthians 13: 4 & 5, but we are not prescriptive and if it works.

TV
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by bigheart2013(m): 5:11pm On Oct 13, 2014
You never marry and you are already planning what you will do with an imaginary wife...haba! What if the woman doesn't want to have joint purse with you, will you force her? Na so fight dey carry start between spiritual wives and spiritual husbands. Please marry first and show us pics on Nairaland to confirm, then ask us this questions. For now I advise you concentrate on your studies and work.

But to help you small, there's nothing wrong if the other partner agrees, but don't force him or her. Simply have a financial plan and budget for your family and let the most frugal person in the house run the budget. Usually women are more financially frugal...u get my verdict.

However joint account works only if a man is making more money, if the woman is making more money, she will never agree to joint account. Ask your dad!

1 Like

Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by destante(f): 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
I don't know, to me, something doesn't just feel too right about it. Except we run a business together, I don't think its necessary undecided
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 8:50pm On Oct 13, 2014
bigheart2013:

However joint account works only if a man is making more money, if the woman is making more money, she will never agree to joint account. Ask your dad!
Reading between the lines, your points are surely valid.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Amuga(f): 9:08pm On Oct 13, 2014
My husband and i have a joint account, the alert goes to one number (which we all know is his). Few months ago i was so bitter with him, what he does is to send money to his younger sister, with her unending bussiness ideas that we have not seen any profitable one out of them all through that account and immediately delete the alert sent to his phone.
I wont advise my younger sister to operate a joint account.
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by ultrazone(m): 9:23pm On Oct 13, 2014
Amuga:
My husband and i have a joint account, the alert goes to one number (which we all know is his). Few months ago i was so bitter with him, what he does is to send money to his younger sister, with her unending bussiness ideas that we have not seen any profitable one out of them all through that account and immediately delete the alert sent to his phone.
I wont advise my younger sister to operate a joint account.
This is a new dimension to the joint purse idea. Personally, I believe the onus lies on both partners to keep the trust solid if they want to see it work. Your husband must have expended efforts to earn your trust again before you could continue...or what is your reason for still sticking to the arrangement despite the shattered trust?
Re: Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? by Amuga(f): 9:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
[quote
author=ultrazone post=27118482]
This is a new dimension to the joint purse idea. Personally, I believe
the onus lies on both partners to keep the trust solid if they want to
see it work. Your husband must have expended efforts to earn your trust
again before you could continue...or what is your reason for still
sticking to the arrangement despite the shattered trust?[/quote] i saw to the reasons he gave to me while he did that. Between for now i am not working, so his money goes into the account for now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I The Man Still Apologize After All This??? / What Is The Meaning Of Ur Name? / Wedding Night Of An Old Man And His Young Bride. His Words Have Struck Her Dumb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.