Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,312 members, 7,839,505 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination (17362 Views)

What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Dede1(m): 6:20am On Feb 13, 2009
@Negro_nts
@KarmaMod

At least, in certain part of Igbo land, the people showed humanistic instinct by keeping them alive. In Yoruba land and many other parts of Nigeria, they were sacrificed to the gods of the land. Recently in Oyo state, when an Oba’s palace was engulfed in fire among the objects discovered were numerous instruments for human sacrifice. It is a practice being conducted in Yoruba land till today.

As recently as 1897, the Bini kingdom was littered with human bodies used in sacrifices to the gods of land hoping it will ward off attack by British. Oba Kosoko of Eko (Lagos) was known for heavily involved in human sacrifices, a practices being conducted by all the Obas in Yoruba land till today.

The difference remains that certain part of Igbo land was not callous as Yoruba people who sacrificed human beings to the deities.

@prittgrrr

You are worried about Osu in Igbo land. What would you have done to know that Yoruba people sacrificed their slaves to deities? Probably get twisted out of human form or jump the cliff.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by tpia: 7:31am On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by dayokanu(m): 7:52am On Feb 13, 2009
@Tpia,

Those men are like guards In some places they are castrated and very tall and huge.

Some of them tend to the queen as they are castrated and harmless.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by OsunAmazon: 10:15am On Feb 13, 2009
@Tpia,

Those men are like guards In some places they are castrated and very tall and huge.

Some of them tend to the queen as they are castrated and harmless.
They are called eunuchs in the bible so the tradition is age old and not peculiar to the yorubas.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by AloyEmeka9: 10:58am On Feb 13, 2009
and they call me a tribalist?.
Onu  ukpaka
cheesy cheesy cheesy Na little karamod una dey finish like this?  grin grin grin grin

Her mouth too wide sha. The man wey go marry her should get ready to collect some saliva with basket because she go use her tongue finish his ego to ground zero. Na real onu ukpaka she be grin grin grin
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2009
Make una leave my wife alone o. grin Karma, don't mind Aloy, you have the sweetest tongue my dear and I love the honey coat. wink
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by KarmaMod(f): 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2009
tongue  kiss

I am not bothered, the same Osisi will go around claiming to pray for people anyway. Wasnt it last week she was claiming something will eat at my eyes, 20 mins later, it was back to the religion forum "preaching" the gospel

You know how they do.

Tpia, I heard about such in some parts of Asia too. Never knew they had them in Yorubaland sha. Lol talk about a way to prevent a scandal in the palace.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2009
At least, in certain part of Igbo land, the people showed humanistic instinct by keeping them alive. In Yoruba land and many other parts of Nigeria, they were sacrificed to the gods of the land. Recently in Oyo state, when an Oba’s palace was engulfed in fire among the objects discovered were numerous instruments for human sacrifice. It is a practice being conducted in Yoruba land till today.

As recently as 1897, the Bini kingdom was littered with human bodies used in sacrifices to the gods of land hoping it will ward off attack by British. Oba Kosoko of Eko (Lagos) was known for heavily involved in human sacrifices, a practices being conducted by all the Obas in Yoruba land till today.

The difference remains that certain part of Igbo land was not callous as Yoruba people who sacrificed human beings to the deities.

Dede,

Nice try!  Yoruba enslaved people of other tribes, not its own people and the ancient tradition of burying the slaves with the King or using them for sacrificial rituals, abhoring as it sounds today, was a symbol of state power back then.   Mayan, Pharao, Yoruba, Songhay, etc. . . they all had the practice.
So to respond to your allegation, no, we did not enslave our own people, we enslaved people of foreign blood.  

The concept is practiced in a different form today with democracy and open market system - you embrace immigration and subject the immigrants to low skill and low paying jobs so that your own people can move up in social ladder and hold the most lucratic jobs and improved value and sense of entitlement.  You protect your people against social injustice and threat and make foreigners serve the need of your people by leavingthem exposed to injustice and crimes. Isn't this why America is the super power it is today?  Same reason that those ancient empires were feared and reverenced back in their days.  Same goal, different approach!

Kosoko was one of the most powerful Obas in Yoruba land. His power was so vast both in military and political strength that even the British Empire was convinced that they could not win against his propaganda and ended up agreeing to a truce with him.  On one account when he returned to Lagos from exile in Epe and did not threaten war the British were flabbergasted and to prolong a peaceful resettlement they rewarded him with a new palace but took caution to ensure that he was separated from his warriors.  They located his palace in Ereko across from the missionary post and relocated his warriors in a settlement that is today known as Epetedo and built a palace for his war general (Oshodi) as well.  In case you must know, Kosoko's warriors were of Nupe tribe (Tapa).  Oshodi was a tapa and this is why they have Igunnu masquerade in Epetedo, in fact there are still families there today that speak Tapa language.

Do not get the Yoruba political greatness and military might for waging wars and enslaving priosoners of war mixed up with Igbos mismanagement of its own ethnic members.   We are talking here about enslaving your own people and making them second class citizens and outcast on their own soil.  Vast difference buddy!
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 2:57pm On Feb 13, 2009
You see what I'm saying, they don't know that sweet part of you. mmmmuah! back at cha . . wink

Tpia, I heard about such in some parts of Asia too. Never knew they had them in Yorubaland sha. Lol talk about a way to prevent a scandal in the palace.

Secret Service that guard American President, the Guards at Buckingham palace. . . in practice these are all "abobakus".
Sworn to lay their lives down for the throne and protect the Crown!
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 13, 2009
KarmaMod:

tongue  kiss

I am not bothered, the same Osisi will go around claiming to pray for people anyway. Wasnt it last week she was claiming something will eat at my eyes, 20 mins later, it was back to the religion forum "preaching" the gospel

You know how they do.

eh all that wrestlemania for musilm threads na osisi's way of preaching ? grin grin grin grin
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 3:29pm On Feb 13, 2009
KarmaMod:

tongue  kiss

[b]You know how they do.[/b]Tpia, I heard about such in some parts of Asia too. Never knew they had them in Yorubaland sha. Lol talk about a way to prevent a scandal in the palace.

shatap! after you called me mad,remember?
You used the word "paranoid egomaniac" to describe the Igbo posters specifically myself in your often cowardly way and I called you a talkative  (onu ukpaka) and you're crying?
boo hoo!
get a hanky!

last week on the "Yoruba large Ojongo thread",you were dancing up and down like ojionu  masquerade
here you are on a topic which has been repeated 6 times or more running your buccal cavity as usual.
You're not a tribalist and yet you always find a way to to "stick it" and ring bells for those "sticking It" to Igbos.
Okuko nyu o kwa gi mamiri n'isi.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 3:33pm On Feb 13, 2009
KarmaMod:

Yes you are osisi even your brother 4Play has said it many times. Alafishe.

If common sense doesnt tell you that the ones Im referring to are those of you in this thread then I have no solution for you.

If I am, you are far worse.

Alafishe? shocked shocked

Isn't that the title them give ya lineage for Ekiti? grin
na im you come dash me too?
little old me? shocked
Lucky me cool
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 3:39pm On Feb 13, 2009
oyb:

eh all that wrestlemania for musilm threads na osisi's way of preaching ? grin grin grin grin

shouldn't you preparing for jumat and combing your bia bia?
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by debosky(m): 3:43pm On Feb 13, 2009
grin grin grin Osisi and Karma never stop going at it. cheesy

@ Dayo

I don't understand the comparison between Abobaku and Osu - two completely different matters. One refers to bodyguards/palace guards who can/will die for the king, the other is a subjugation of a subset of the population.

Anyways, I thought this discussion was about Osu not a contest as to what tribe did worse things

PS - hot trash aka earthmama (banned) is now back as OsunAmazon. Mods beware. tongue
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by KarmaMod(f): 3:59pm On Feb 13, 2009
in practice these are all "abobakus". 

Not really. The guards of the queen/secret service men are at least capable of sleeping with women/wives. These abobakas are castrated.

here you are on a topic which has been repeated 6 times or more running your buccal cavity as usual.
You're not a tribalist and yet you always find a way to to "stick it" and ring bells for those "sticking It" to Igbos.

And how many times have YOU been in the MANY threads about Tribal marks PRETENDING to want to know the history just for you to take jabs at the people? Should I quote them for you? You should know by now that when it comes to matters like this, Im not easily fooled. I dont fight with you anywhere else but "Culture", we both know the reason why. So please go back to "preaching" and quit whining about us "blood suckers" abi you think Ive forgotten about that one?

Also perhaps you should ask debo the meaning of alaifishe instead of making noise.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 4:13pm On Feb 13, 2009
KarmaMod:

Not really. The guards of the queen/secret service men are at least capable of sleeping with women/wives. These abobakas are castrated.

And how many times have YOU been in the MANY threads about Tribal marks PRETENDING to want to know the history just for you to take jabs at the people? Should I quote them for you? You should know by now that when it comes to matters like this, Im not easily fooled. I dont fight with you anywhere else but "Culture", we both know the reason why. So please go back to "preaching" and quit whining about us "blood suckers" abi you think Ive forgotten about that one? [/b]Also perhaps you should ask debo the meaning of alaifishe instead of making noise.

I will not fight with you this year. kiss
I love you too much to go down like that this year with you.
[b]I have a hot valentine date coming up and I want to be in a good mood for love
Have a wonderful weekend kiss
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 4:14pm On Feb 13, 2009
now back to topic cool
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by KarmaMod(f): 4:16pm On Feb 13, 2009
oniranu woman tongue

There's no such thing as Valentine date when you have kids. tongue
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 4:49pm On Feb 13, 2009
Hahahaha, Oh my God. . . you people are funny, my rib cage is aching from laughter grin grin grin grin

Osisi, I thought Karma was your in-law. Why you both go at each other so much? Karma, kool down o, sheath the blade abeg. grin

Not really. The guards of the queen/secret service men are at least capable of sleeping with women/wives. These abobakas are castrated

If they had been castrated a palace guard would not have had carnal appetitte for Princess DI and expressed his desire. At the rate of prostate cancer in America, half of the SS are collateral eunuchs as it is. grin
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by tpia: 5:20pm On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by preselect(m): 5:29pm On Feb 13, 2009
wait a minute shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

so there are groups that castrate their fellow human beings in this century. . . shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

and they are complaining about osu issue . . . grin grin grin grin darfur don suffer . . grin

osus can sleep with anybabe they take homeor any guy that takes them home, the only thing they may not be able to do, sometimes, is marry a non osu, if the non osu's family objects and the non osus succumbs to family pressure . . . .and y'all are attacking igbos like this, while you get human beings and catrate them shocked shocked shocked shocked, so they cant even have sex with anybody . . . talkless of marrying shocked shocked shocked in this age

and some still bury some dead kings with life human beings shocked shocked shocked shocked

and una de attack us like this grin grin grin grin

abegi, . . . . grin anyway i knew the thread was not about osu, it was about calling a dog a bad name to hang it______igbobashing exercise . . . . una de try cheesy
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by dayokanu(m): 5:32pm On Feb 13, 2009
Debo,

Some people have taken the topic as an opportunity to bash ancient culture of the Igbo's

Abobaku's dont have a choice they have to die with the king. If they do it in ancient Egypt doesnt mean its a good practice does it?
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 5:43pm On Feb 13, 2009
KarmaMod:

oniranu woman tongue

There's no such thing as Valentine date when you have kids. tongue

That's what you think?
Do you think my something fell off or closed up after I bore kids?
I'm using it,I don't want to lose it grin
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by tpia: 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2009
tpia:

everything isnt about bashing tribe abeg.

This is the modern world and there are some customs which everyone wonders about, everywhere.

During slavery times black people got married by jumping over a broom, and black men were often used as studs to breed more black babies for sale. Castrati used to be common in church settings till the practice died out.[

Point is everywhere has some weird customs that used to be deeply entrenched in the society, and I dont see why open-minded people cant make enquiries about anything that puzzles them.

All the stuff being discussed on this thread is well known to enquiring oyibos and foreigners who also documented them. Its we Africans who like being ignorant of our history and get ultra sensitive at every question.

My point is- sweeping some issues under the carpet deosnt always make them go away. If its an [b]objective thread about tribal marks sometimes you'll still see people saying they're tribally marked and discussing the effect it has on their social life and such.[/b]

I agree 100%
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by KarmaMod(f): 7:07pm On Feb 13, 2009
Um I hardly doubt the eunch thing is still in affect neither is the burying someone with a king. You can ask the Egyptians though since they are the ones who started it all

Everything isnt about bashing tribe abeg.

This is the modern world and there are some customs which everyone wonders about, everywhere.

Abi o. Some people can be so paranoid. prrtgrrl isnt's even Nigerian yet her asking a question is a problem for certain market women claiming (m) status.

That's what you think?
Do you think my something fell off or closed up after I bore kids

Depends. who will watch the kids. This isnt Naija where family members can help out tongue
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by dayokanu(m): 7:48pm On Feb 13, 2009
Karma,

Abeg reinstate your previous profile pic with green top na
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 7:56pm On Feb 13, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste

Doing some reading.

There are various countries in the world where caste systems exist in one way or another,most have been abolished officially like in Igboland but we all know how the law never catches up with reality.
The countries include

China
Yemen
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Nepal
Korea
Japan
India
Hawaii
Latin American countries
Nigeria
Cameroon
Gambia
Guinea
Guinea Bissau
Ivory Coast
Liberia
Mali
Mauritania
Niger
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Hauwa1: 7:57pm On Feb 13, 2009
na person chest dayokanu dey come look for eh? thank the gods i never put up my pix smiley. this is the 3rd time i have read Mr. Kanu asking Karma to put up the pix na wah. am sure Mr. Kanu has a woman  shocked na free look him dey look for? shocked

valentine date ummm. well the place is always young sha even if 8kids don pass comot. such is married life  grin
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by AloyEmeka9: 8:00pm On Feb 13, 2009
na person chest dayokanu dey come look for eh? thank the gods i never put up my pix

grin grin The guy is in love now.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 8:04pm On Feb 13, 2009
The opening of Korea to foreign Christian missionary activity in the late 19th century saw some improvement in the status of the baekjeong; However, everyone was not equal under the Christian congregation, and protests erupted when missionaries attempted to integrate them into worship services, with non-baekjeong finding such an attempt insensitive to traditional notions of hierarchical advantage.[citation needed] Also around the same time, the baekjeong began to resist the open social discrimination that existed against them.[45] They focused on social and economic injustices affecting the baekjeong, hoping to create an egalitarian Korean society. Their efforts included attacking social discrimination by the upper class, authorities, and "commoners" and the use of degrading language against children in public schools.[46]

Beneath the Yangban class were the Jung-in. They were the technicians. They served in lower level government bureaucracy. They were literate, yet were unable to rise into full bureaucratic positions despite passing the gwageo (central government entrance) exam. This class was small and specialised.

Beneath the Jung-in were the Chunmin. They were the landless peasants. These people composed the majority of Korean society until the 1600s. They were illiterate, and forbidden from marrying into the Yangban class. During the Japanese invasion of 1592, as many government genealogical record was burnt, many of them fabricated their social origin and moved into the Yangban class. With the Manchu invasion of Korea in the 1627 and 1637 and numerous peasant rebellions that followed, the ranks of Yangban families swelled up to more than 60% of the whole country by the late 1800s.

Sounds very similar to the Osu literature I've read online
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi2(f): 8:08pm On Feb 13, 2009
Two main castes in Japan were Samurai warrior castes and peasants. Only samurai caste was allowed to bear arms. A samurai had a right to kill any peasant who he felt was disrespectful.

Japan historically subscribed to a feudal caste system. While modern law has officially abolished the caste hierarchy, there are reports of discrimination against the Buraku or Burakumin undercastes, historically referred to by the insulting term Eta.[43] Studies comparing the caste systems in India and Japan have been performed, with similar discriminations against the Burakumin as the Dalits. The Burakumin are regarded as "ostracised

Would have never found out Japanese also have "osu"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of 2018 Igue Festivals In Edo State / Onitsha Ofala Festival Kicks Off In Onitsha (Pictures & Video) / Isese Day: Osun declares Tuesday public holiday for traditional worshippers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.