Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene (9183 Views)

The Average Yorubaman Is Now Better Off Since Buhari Took Over. / Again, El-rufai Appoints Non-indigene As Head Of Service / Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by jayedu108: 6:35pm On Oct 16, 2014
You guys are still yanwing thrash as for me am fr the east but I was born in lagos,so automatically I am an indigene of lagos state by birth and my birth certificate states that also confirmeD and stamped by surulere local govermemt.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by ibedun: 6:40pm On Oct 16, 2014
jayedu108:
You guys are still yanwing thrash as for me am fr the east but I was born in lagos,so automatically I am an indigene of lagos state by birth and my birth certificate states that also confirmeD and stamped by surulere local govermemt.

Foolish man before you start rejoicing go and check the constitution of your country. That is the document that defines your life as a Nigerian.

Read the below
Before anyone says jack Robinson, Igbos would be pointing out that other Yoruba also migrated to Lagos...
Let me educate you a bit. Lagos is historically Yorubaland just like ife, Ibadan, ondo, ikinrun, efon alaaye etc. In comparison, owerri is igboland just like Abagana, obosi, nnewi, enugu etc
Igboland in its entirety shares no boundaries with any part of Yorubaland. This means that we are clearly defined apart. Also, before any Ibo person can cross into any part of Yoruba land, he needs to cross at least two distinct states. And to get to Lagos, he must further cross several Yoruba states. Furthermore, no Nigerian of any state origin moves to Lagos without passing through large tracts of Yoruba land even if the person decided to enter through Benin republic.
The Nigerian constitution you fatties like to refer to as the reason why you must claim Lagos is the same constitution that says that a citizen can only claim the state and local government of his father. For example, if okonkwo was born in umunya in anambra, and moved to Lagos in 1962 as a porter in the Nigerian railway commission, and he brought his village wife and families to festac town to live, and they settled down there. If their son, emeka grew up and married another wench and settled down to give birth to okafor, by the law of the land, they are all from anambra. Umunya to be specific.
If okonkwo had a daughter called ngozi who decided to marry Ibrahim from kano but residing in Lagos, then ngozi has right to claim both kano and anambra but not Lagos.
That is the law, my dear Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Orunto: 6:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
"Ojo iku lo isimi". Also "Ayie loja Orun nile". All meaning that Satan is dominant everywhere on earth, The problem in Niger Delta is replicable even in Churches or Mosques. Afterall, God Himself allowed satan to torture Job and to chase our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ to Heaven. Nothing is perfect or 100% free of selfishness but since we are made in the image of God, we should keep on practising His Rightteousness till we meet Him.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by ibedun: 6:50pm On Oct 16, 2014
The Nigerian constitution you fatties like to refer to as the reason why you must claim Lagos is the same constitution that says that a citizen can only claim the state and local government of his father. For example, if okonkwo was born in umunya in anambra, and moved to Lagos in 1962 as a porter in the Nigerian railway commission, and he brought his village wife and families to festac town to live, and they settled down there. If their son, emeka grew up and married another wench and settled down to give birth to okafor, by the law of the land, they are all from anambra. Umunya to be specific.

If okonkwo had a daughter called ngozi who decided to marry Ibrahim from kano but residing in Lagos, then ngozi has right to claim both kano and anambra but not Lagos.

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by jayedu108: 6:52pm On Oct 16, 2014
ibedun:

Stop repeating urself oga am a lagosians by birth get that into ur head.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 16, 2014
baccaspace:
I know that South easterners are clamouring for such a thing. Whatever there plan is shall be defeated.
mtchew! I even thought the bational assembly was debating such. They are stupid to think the north that has been slaughtering them since ages will all of a sudden succumb to their covetousness. We yorubas are not left out in the fight against their stupidity

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 16, 2014
Segeggs:
mtchew! I even thought the national assembly was debating such. They are stupid to think the north that has been slaughtering them since ages will all of a sudden succumb to their covetousness. We yorubas are not left out in the fight against their stupidity
Endorsed!!! Everyone should answer his father's name

1 Like

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 16, 2014
jayedu108:
in yorubaland, every household has a name with which. They use in monitoring their Lineage. A house can have a name like ile atabiakiti and all the children from that house are seen as children of ile atabiakiti, even if they travel faraway they'll still be in line with it e.g Tunde living in lagos is an indigene of osun state and from ile atabiakiti. Chukwudi from anambra can't be an indigene of lagos or anywhere in yorubaland if he's not from a notable household who keep all their records in their local government secretariat. So mr man, you were only born in lagos but not a lagos indigene.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 16, 2014
Segeggs:
in yorubaland, every household has a name with which. They use in monitoring their Lineage. A house can have a name like ile atabiakiti and all the children from that house are seen as children of ile atabiakiti, even if they travel faraway they'll still be in line with it e.g Tunde living in lagos is an indigene of osun state and from ile atabiakiti. Chukwudi from anambra can't be an indigene of lagos or anywhere in yorubaland if he's not from a notable household who keep all their records in their local government secretariat. So mr man, you were only born in lagos but not a lagos indigene.
The constitution doesn't even recognize state of residence but of indigen. I was born, bred and I work in Lagos, but I am 100% Ijaw from Rivers State and I can never be a Lagos Indigen because I have no bloodline here. Everyone in Ijawland(and other places) have Family name, Clan and compound. I can be traced to my root whether I live in Shangai or whether I was born in Haiti.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by ibedun: 7:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
jayedu108:

okay fool keep rejoicing

baccaspace:
The constitution doesn't even recognize state of residence but of indigen. I was born, bred and I work in Lagos, but I am 100% Ijaw from Rivers State and I can never be a Lagos Indigen because I have no bloodline here. Everyone in Ijawland(and other places) have Family name, Clan and compound. I can be traced to my root whether I live in Shangai or whether I was born in Haiti.

A wise Ijaw man. Hopefully the Igbo fools will take a cue from you.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by nduchucks: 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
baccaspace:

oga, after the implementation of the new provisions, you'd be a Lagos indigene who can still trace his roots to Ijawland.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
nduchucks:

oga, after the implementation of the new provisions, you'd be a Lagos indigene who can still trace his roots to Ijawland.
You can be rest assured that the move will be resisted in the Rivers House and other Houses of Assembly. I can NEVER be a Lagos Indigen.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by abbakacici: 7:49pm On Oct 16, 2014
indigene/non-indigene dichotomy is not that apparent in the north as compare to the south, especially the 13 core northern state because you are allowed to claim local government of your birth if your parent are from 18 other Northern state ( excluding Banue) example Gowon children are calming kaduna, Shekarau parent are from maiduguri but he became elected governor of kano state furthermore in almost all northern at least 1-3 commissioner are not from the state ( if non-indigene dichotomy is consider) there are alot of commissioners in lagos who are not from lagos

non-indigene dichotomy is not that bad as people think, even in the so called western world someone has to fullfil some basic requirement before his race/ country of origin will be disregard for example a black muslim/ pagan with big african ascent will never be elected in Taxes and any time he went to claim state benefit he will face some problems
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Balyz: 8:08pm On Oct 16, 2014
nduchucks:

Its too late buddy. This provision will make it into the constitution of this great country - the deal has been consumated. cool
Look my friend I normally agree with you on most issues but making state of residence that of origin, is detrimental to our way of life as africans. We are un avowedly attached to our ancestral lands especially we northerners. We're not about to tolerate any settler become indigine nonsense anytime soon. Guy our state houses of assembly have been mandated to reject any such proposal. Sorry

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Balkan(m): 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
Balyz:
Look my friend I normally agree with you on most issues but making state of residence that of origin, is detrimental to our way of life as africans. We are un avowedly attached to our ancestral lands especially we northerners. We're not about to tolerate any settler become indigine nonsense anytime soon. Guy our state houses of assembly have been mandated to reject any such proposal. Sorry
we are all one Nigeria. Where ever you stay should be your state. I have seen in Lagos Ojo side where two Igbo men are councillors.

One nigeria
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Balyz: 8:33pm On Oct 16, 2014
Balkan:
we are all one Nigeria. Where ever you stay should be your state. I have seen in Lagos Ojo side where two Igbo men are councillors.

One nigeria
one Nigeria? Yes, indigineship for settlers? No. We will never accept this. Whatever goes on in Lagos is your problem but when you try to impose your 'Lagos' model on the rest of the country, especially us core northerners, then they'll be a problem. No indigineship for settlers
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by nduchucks: 1:05am On Oct 17, 2014
Balyz:

Why would this constitutional provision remove your attachment to your land? Land ownership is not affected by this. Even with your attachment to your ancestral land, anyone with money can come and buy any piece of it today - that will not change with this new constitutional provision.

On a brighter note, it will eliminated discrimination against people born in any state as far as benefits accorded to indigenes go. No one should feel threatened by less discrimination.

I think you misunderstood the provision because you wrote "...but making state of residence that of origin, is detrimental to our way of life as africans." The provision contains no such stipulation. For now, it affects people who are born in a particular state, not those who reside there.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by victor1464(m): 6:58am On Oct 19, 2014
AJINATU:
Are Nigerians not free in Nigeria?

On your mission ... You can start with the Itsekiri and Ijaws who albeit are both indigenes of Delta state still have a feud against each other over the ownership of Warri. Remeber how they slaughtered themselves in their hundreds during the circa 1999 Warri crisis.

Leave the Yorubas alone. We are contented with the space God gave us. We are not intrested in claiming other peoples land neither do we want to become indigenes of states outside Yorubaland
do itsekiri people still face d same problems with d yorubas?.d igbos of d southeastern nigeria r also claimin Ndokwa ethnic nationality of delta state but we refuse them because of their greeds.Our ethnic nationality is not part of Igbo land....is d situation wit yoruba n itsekiri the same
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Tobbie9(m): 7:17am On Oct 19, 2014
Op it simply can't happen, as long as most Nigerians percieve it to favour those from a section of d country it will be rejected
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by wickyyolo: 7:20am On Oct 19, 2014
nduchucks:
If none of the recently adopted amendments to our constitution is ultimately adopted, I'll be satisfied with the adoption of this singular provision, which was also approved:

a citizen of Nigeria is an indigene of a particular community of a state in Nigeria if he was born in that state

Some of us fought very hard during the constitutional review committee hearings to get that provision in the final prodI congratulate all of my partners who fought in their own little way to make this possible.

It is a first step towards eradicating unnecessary discrimination, archaic custom and tradition which has kept us in the stone ages. The time will come very soon when Chukwuma will become the Governor of Lagos and a Shekaru can become the Governor of Abia.

Long Live this great country!!
I don't like commenting. But I have to tell you this is a great idea. Thumbs Up
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Balyz: 7:58am On Oct 19, 2014
wickyyolo:

I don't like commenting. But I have to tell you this is a great idea. Thumbs Up
its a bad idea. Any Nigerian can live and buy property anywhere he or she chooses but indigineship is not for sale
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by ibedun: 8:32am On Oct 19, 2014
nduchucks:

Implementation? Never going to happen.......this is about Igbo and Lagos state. The terrible fall out btw Yorubas and the Igbos is fast approaching.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by wickyyolo: 8:29am On Oct 20, 2014
Balyz:
its a bad idea. Any Nigerian can live and buy property anywhere he or she chooses but indigineship is not for sale

Talking rubbish. Shift
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by ibedun: 8:37am On Oct 20, 2014
wickyyolo:

Talking rubbish. Shift

Indegeneship is natural and based on lineage, you can't creat it by law. Igbo people need education on this matter.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by standupguy(m): 9:33am On Oct 20, 2014
Aigbofa:

A Lebanese can also be a citizen of Nigeria by birth, can he also be an indigene of Abia?

You are an indigene of my state you are born in and you have equal electoral right of an indigene if you have lived and worked in a state for 8yrs.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by standupguy(m): 9:34am On Oct 20, 2014
Aigbofa:

A Lebanese can also be a citizen of Nigeria by birth, can he also be an indigene of Abia?

You are an indigene of a state you are born in and you have equal electoral right of an indigene if you have lived and worked in a state for 8yrs.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by standupguy(m): 10:57am On Oct 20, 2014
Gbawe:

Sorry for my rash words. I apologize. I thought you were the usual rabble rousers who postulate chaos and enmity over everything that should be about civility and maturity. I do get your argument. It is one I actually agree with haven benefited from similar via being born in the West and thus having dual nationality. There is nothing I wish to do or achieve anyone has stopped me gaining. That does not mean I should then be impudent, egotistic and openly disdainful of all around me. Most Yorubas are tolerant and will likely have no problems with the proposed indigene ruling if not for events of the past few years. Many Igbos , under GEJ some of them take to be a reincarnation of Ojukwu, have gone public with their hatred of the Yorubas and their complete dedication to fighting and proving a point to them perhaps because they remain vengeful about the war mirroring what Osita Okechukwu termed "chop sand syndrome".

This is why when some Igbos should talk of humbly serving others they will prefer to say they want to "control" them. When they should be gracious about their good fortunes, which others also have in abundance yet are silent about, they will say they "are "supreme" and have "enslaved" others in their land and "control their economy". If they "pull out" then this State will crash and similar braggart bullcrap. They will take to the net every single damn day to insult Yorubas as Lazy/dirty/ugly etc. This is despite the fact that the Yorubas appear to have moved on from the civil war with how they host the Igbos equitably and graciously in their domain since the end of the war and generally refrain from incendiary behaviour towards them. Bro, have you noticed on this thread it is the Yorubas who are against this indigene proposition while it is Igbos in favour? Before the very divisive GEJ came along, when so much hate was not dished out in cyberspace daily, most Yorubas would probably not have cared either way. Many of us warned the hate-mongers but they would not listen. Things are now what they are and we are back in the days ethnic tension, loathing and distrust that was a precursor to the civil war. Let the haters enjoy the cold war they have created when we all, especially young folks, should have moved on to be focused on developing a modern and progressive nation.

Firstly I don't know why IGBOs and yorubas make things and threads like this about themselves even when they are all victims of the circumstances.
The indigenous constitution has also limited the Igbo man in igboland and the Yoruba in yoruba land, owing to the fact that you have to go to your state of origin if you nurse any political ambition. Despite where you were born, despite how many years you have worked, paid tax and contributed in the building of the state or community.
I always use myself as a case study, i will have to go to a state I visit only on Christmas holidays, where they laugh at my own dialect of our language and where I am totally disconnected from the social and economic situation if I decide to go political.
Meanwhile I have no claim to a state I was born, raised, got educated and pay my taxes.
Even El rufai has called for state of origin to be replaced with place of birth.
This has nothing to do with Yoruba or igbo if we have to integrate nigeria, and live as one nation and grow then we have to move on from this ethnical divide which has always plagued our country. Our ancestry is meant to be celebrated and not foster future divide.

African is the only continent such limitation can still be obtained.
Someone said that U.S and canada is an immigrant nation, it's very funny because the land was owned by red Indians the native Americans. I refer such person to Google gangs of new York and see what happened between native Americans and the Irish immigrants.
Even today citizenship is granted on the bases of investment you own in uk and us.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by standupguy(m): 11:17am On Oct 20, 2014
Balyz:

Your way of life as Africans which has achieved what exactly? Tribal wars, ethnical politics, regional violence and loop holes for foreigners to incite tribals against each other.
Friend, please the world is moving and these are things keeping us back.
Even the ancient Greeks and Romans whose history and ancestory and known world wide for ages have moved on.

And I also hope you are against the gay bill,because it's also not our way of life in africa. If not then you are the best hypocrite of all times
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by standupguy(m): 11:34am On Oct 20, 2014
baccaspace:
You can be rest assured that the move will be resisted in the Rivers House and other Houses of Assembly. I can NEVER be a Lagos Indigen.

With all due respect, you are brain dead.
It's anyone trying to take any your bloodline?
bloodline that most tribes in Nigeria can't trace past 1800.
People with history dated back to 1500 to countries they have never stepped a foot on are still accorded the same right of indigene of there place of birth.
Celebrate ijaw and tell your children stories of there heritage denying them right of indigene of where there were born, raised and pay taxes is only obtained in Africa.
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by superstar1(m): 12:57pm On Oct 20, 2014
baccaspace:

May you and your generation continue to prosper.

Why are the people from the red mud, the only greedy set of people in Nigeria?
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Balyz: 12:06am On Oct 23, 2014
standupguy:

Your way of life as Africans which has achieved what exactly? Tribal wars, ethnical politics, regional violence and loop holes for foreigners to incite tribals against each other.
Friend, please the world is moving and these are things keeping us back.
Even the ancient Greeks and Romans whose history and ancestory and known world wide for ages have moved on.

And I also hope you are against the gay bill,because it's also not our way of life in Africa. If not then you are the best hypocrite of all times
Oga this is neither Greece nor the roman empire. Nigeria is a country of diverse ethnic nationalities, each one of which is connected to its land by history, culture and ancestry. While Nigeria is a country and all her citizen's should enjoy equal rights, nobody should be granted indigine rights where he or she has no ancestral roots. Go to your ancestral lands and claim what is yours. Where i come from we don't sell our indigineship for any price. That so-called constitutional amendment wont pass
Re: Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene by Balyz: 12:10am On Oct 23, 2014
wickyyolo:

Talking rubbish. Shift
Arent you an indigine of someplace your ancestors came from? you are entitled to live anywhere you so desire in this country but no indigineship rights for you outside your ancestral land. you can only dream about it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Badnews For Those Shouting Sai Buhari, It Is Over / Deputy Governor Of Adamawa Visits Refugees Deported From Cameroon / Keystone Bank: Buhari Campaign Group Sues Atiku, Demands N40m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.