Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

God bless all Mothers. Amen - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / God bless all Mothers. Amen (14052 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / See What Nigerian Women Can Do (photos) / 4 Women Claim To Be MIC Okusanya's Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 18, 2014
@rationalmind, how many womem have you watched go through labour before?
as in LIVE?

I laugh at y'all......the pain of childbirth is not comparable to the pain of cane or whatever analogy you have, it's a pain you have to go through! Women are left with no choice at that point than to bear it (exaggerated or not).....

and really, you should see and hear ENOUGH before you start making conclusions, @nonso23, I've seen women pop it out like poop as in they just do it like it's nothing, it would be ignorance to assume that such women represent the majority. And yes, some tribes have it easier than others, something about their pelvic anatomy.....

Do some people add drama to the show? Maybe....but it still doesn't downplay the pain, it's their way of dealing with the pain and inasmuch as a cutie is brought into the world, who cares how much noise they made in there? angry
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 18, 2014
And about the different stories at 2 days and 2 months, that moment when a woman actually has her lil baby, she is really on top of the world. I have seen a woman go through episiotomy immediately after delivery and she couldn't even care about what was going on down there, all she could think and care about was the baby in her arms. This same woman had to re-do the episiotomy 2 weeks later and she almost pulled down the room. The doctor must have used triple the anesthesia used the first time. Those few moments/days after delivery feels like heaven for most women
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 18, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 18, 2014
Nonso23:

Nor should the extremely excruciating labour be considered the norm. You people are missing the point here.
Labour pains are really painful there are other forms of pain that are worse off. It is not the worst there is.

You might be right but definitely not migraine or toothache, there are worse pains out there but people don't get those sorta pains everyday, so, I'm sure you don't get to see these people describe their pain to you. Heck, if you're not a medical personnel, you might never get to meet someone with worse pain all through your life, or they might never have the reason to tell you about it. People go through labour everyday, that's why you get to hear about it. I think the worst pain of my life so far would be when I had to go through a mild procedure to drain my injection abcess some years back, (and yes, the only pain relief I had after was paracetamol angry) but I can as well be friends with someone for 10 years and never talk about it, but childbirth stories is something people are eager to hear about.............I've had tootaches before and even anti-inflammatory drugs would still do, if only for a few minutes.

Labour pain is SUBSIDED with opioids, and seriously, I doubt it even works.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 18, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by LordReed(m): 8:32am On Oct 18, 2014
phabulous88:
Bursted! Researchers from Israel has shown that childbirth is not as painful as women claim. So it means one thing, they've been lying

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26792457/study-says-child-birth-pain-not-as-painful-as-women-claim

You didn't even understand the point of the article you posted. It doesn't say childbirth is not as painful as women say. Go back to secondary school for lessons in reading comprehension.

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 18, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 18, 2014
alutacontinua:
@rationalmind, how many womem have you watched go through labour before?
as in LIVE?

It doesn't matter. One doesn't need to have a direct experience of things before knowing about them, no?

I laugh at y'all......the pain of childbirth is not comparable to the pain of cane or whatever analogy you have, it's a pain you have to go through! Women are left with no choice at that point than to bear it (exaggerated or not).....

And who said the pain of childbirth is comparable to that of cane?

and really, you should see and hear ENOUGH before you start making conclusions,

And what makes you think I haven't heard enough already?
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:02am On Oct 18, 2014
rationalmind:

I think you misunderstand bro. Memory decay doesn't explain their contradictory responses. I'll tell you why.

Memory decay is a phenomenon that progresses with time. That is, the longer the time, the more one forgets the experience until one experiences another.

Now, the researchers found out that, after two days, they rated the experience less painful only to rate it highly painful after two months.

Memory decay should have made them rate it even less painful after two months than they rated it after two days.

You can say memory decay accounts for their responses after two days, it can't account for their responses after two months. Saying that it does is inconsistent with what memory decay is all about.

PS: As you rightly said, no one in his or her right senses will claim labour isn't painful. Of course, it is. The point is that the pain is being exaggerated.

No I am not ... Memory decay simply makes you not give an accurate information of a past event. emphasis on accurate. Meaning it gives you room to underestimate or over estimate a past event depending on who you are and a whole range of other factors. Meaning if we are to go by memory decay some women overestimate and some may underestimate child birth pain.

If you read my post in detail the real thing I was focused on in ... is to point out the flaw of their research method not their findings. . I do not agree or disagree with them until they conduct their research properly.

Reason is, in this scenario gathering data just by interviewing past patients is flawed be it 2days or 2months... If you read my post you would see where I mentioned that ... Patients in pain are notorious for both understating and overstating their degree of pain. Also, some patients may be incapacitated in some way and unable to properly articulate their level of discomfort.

Let me paint this scenario.

When you have a accident and incur a big wound. the body emit adrenaline that dumbs down the pain a little. But after some time when it wears off, that is when you start to feel the real pain . If you were asked immediately when you had the accident about how painful the wound was I can bet you your response would be different but 10days or even 2-hours later when the adrenaline has settled. You may be even more capable of giving a more accurate information of how painful the pain was.

What I am trying to point out here is that the data they were getting 2 months or 2days only via interviewing them maybe flawed. They needed to use a more objective way of coming to this finding. A method I explained in my earlier post.

That's all my post was about.

Ps. In summary... Most people think childbirth is just the push push ... It's a whole package and experience with a whole range of pains both pre, in the process and postpartum pains infact their are 9 surprising postpartum pains women face days and even months after delivery. The only time adrenaline really comes to the rescue to numb down the pain a little, is when they baby is about coming out. I think this is one angle the researchers did not even consider.

#Mathewbriggs

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by dre11(m): 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
Shout out to all women and mothers all around the world

We really appreciate who u are and the pains u had to bear from conception till after delivery.

Me can't bear those pains but since ur ur body is so design to bear the pain.. ...... I say I do appreciate u

4 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Jahblessme: 2:28pm On Oct 18, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626363/Now-know-feels-Men-wired-machines-simulate-pain-childbirth-30-seconds.html

more links if you google.

Plenty research has been done,even simulation carried out for noisemakers like you.
They tried and couldn't bear it.
My respect to mothers o jare.E nor easy.

5 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by cococandy(f): 3:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
I've never had a baby.
I've had horrible menstrual cramps that leave me asking God why?
Menstrual pain is infinitessimal compared to labor pain.
And some people are trying to play it down?
For what exactly?

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 18, 2014
Jahblessme:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626363/Now-know-feels-Men-wired-machines-simulate-pain-childbirth-30-seconds.html

more links if you google.

Plenty research has been done,even simulation carried out for noisemakers like you.
They tried and couldn't bear it.
My respect to mothers o jare.E nor easy.

Read the article, oh my! Bwahahahaha!!

Rotfl @ "noisemakers" grin grin
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2014
cococandy:
I've never had a baby.
I've had horrible menstrual cramps that leave me asking God why?
Menstrual pain is infinitessimal compared to labor pain.
And some people are trying to play it down?
For what exactly?

The million dollar question.

But to be honest, trolls are best ignored. Or mocked.

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Temmysexy1(f): 3:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
Who no go no know,I dnt see any need for argument here cox d op is a guy nt a lady dt av or wil experience labour pain.wel @ op is nt painful at all is d most easiest thing av ever cum across in my entire life. Lolz
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Jahblessme: 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2264595/NOW-believe-Two-men-experience-simulated-labour-pain-TV-just-hours-lucky-dont-real.html

Another link..go and see men like you squealing like local pigs.Its people like you that will be crying like bushmeat after 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nonso23:

Unless the person is managing a case of endometriosis menstrual cramps should not be severe. Anyway, no one said labour was painless, the point is simply that the pain is not as horrendous as a lot of us are made to believe and unless a complication arises during childbirth or the mother is a special 'case' the process should be endurable even without anesthetics.
All the statements like 'there is no pain as excruciating as labour pain etc' that fly around are exaggerations.

Endometriosis is hardly a prerequisite for severe debilitating menstrual cramps.

I don't necessarily rate labour pains as the Everest of all pain EVER, but to casually hurl it into the neighborhood of toothaches and migraines is just pure comedy...the kind of comedy that has you searching for a punchline.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Godmystrength: 5:43pm On Oct 18, 2014
phabulous88:
The research didn't say it wasn't painful but that women generally exaggerate the pain. By the way, is it not just about excreting something? What's the big deal? undecided
Oh i see. No big deal jare... You think it is the shitting part that is painful? well i don't think so. shitting part is the least of all. Beside, people keep saying that vagina can expand... Okay o. But why do some women have tears in various degrees?? Tears that will cut through the muscles/walls of your anus and ...... infact, no need. Child bearing is just a piece of cake. Just go in there and shit out the damn baby and everyone is happy...

2 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 18, 2014

3 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 18, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nonso23:

List the other prerequisites please.

I keep repeating myself on this issue. Again I reiterate.
Those accounts are not mine, I am reporting feedbacks I got from the people I interrogated on the issue
As long as you do not consider it the 'everest' of pain then we are on the same page.
That has been my stance since my first post and even clarified in subsequent posts. This post included.

You stated that menstrual pains should not be severe unless the woman is suffering from endometriosis. That is false. Endometriosis is not a prerequisite for severe menstrual pains. I know this for a fact.

To assume that greater pains can be experienced is only rational, but natural delivery (complication free) cannot be compared to common toothaches, kidney stones, and migraines. Since I suffer from migraines myself and have witnessed childbirth quite a few times, I felt I was in a position to question the reasoning that lead you to even compare the two, but ok.

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by pamcode(m): 8:32pm On Oct 18, 2014
parismarc:
My experience- Labour pain is simply out of this world, it amazes me when people say that once your baby pops out, u will forget the pains, its 1 year plus and i still remember, i dread going through it again. I hail women that have many kids, they are indeed daughters of Zion.
maybe this y my mother gave birth to just two of us

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by pamcode(m): 8:57pm On Oct 18, 2014
rationalmind:

The experiment I cited wasn't an analogy. An analogy compares two things. I am not comparing.

I am showing that, if at lower levels of pain, girls are known to exaggerate pain, there is nothing that will prevent them from exaggerating pain at higher levels.

That's the very simple and clear point the experiment seeks to drive in which surprisingly eludes you.
this is where u misssed it bro we all av diff rates of endurance and it a known fact that most women have low endurance for pain.Also u can never measure pain by just watching a person xcept if u undertake the same procedure and conditions which is exactly what d ladies are trying to tell you.So dont say that they are exaggerating.shalom
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by cococandy(f): 9:17pm On Oct 18, 2014
The trolls take themselves very seriously. undecided undecided

All in all it's a feeble attempt to try say there's nothing special about child bearing or womanhood in general.
Labor pains are exaggerated.
It might as well be compared to the 'very painful' process of contributing sperm for the pregnancy grin.
ileobatojo:

The million dollar question.

But to be honest, trolls are best ignored. Or mocked.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Biim: 10:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
You need to listen to yourself, women exaggerate labour pains yet some die during childbirth, I have seen a goat give birth and I tell you it wasn't funny not to talk of that of a woman. You should learn to give women some credit angry

2 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Raymie(m): 11:21pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nonso23 and Rationalmind, to trivalize labor pains is almost insulting. And I'm saying this as a man coming from a family of Doctors in almost every field. Don't even compare it to a root canal which is excruciating as hell. Labor pains have led to the deaths of people I know. Did they die just for spite? My aunt is childless coz she couldn't continue with the process. By the time the operation was done, baby was dead and she was clinging to life by the whiskers. Nevertheless, labor pain varies dramatically from woman to
woman, and even from pregnancy to pregnancy. Until you go
through childbirth, you won’t know where on the spectrum you’ll
fall. And on yhur previous argument where yhu were trying to discountenance the tests to elucidate pain, I hope to remind yhu that yhu are pitching a biased research based on interviews which cannot be scientifically measured for accuracy against tests for labor pain threshold measured electronically and scientifically. The gender doesn't matter here. The anatomy of a woman is modeled to accomodate giving birth, yet maternal mortality ranks as the 6th cause of death in US women and despite our poor statistic history, a leading cause of female mortality in Nigeria. Compare it with the death rates from root canal or migranes. Exaggerations do occur definitely. Downplayings too. Its all part of their bragging rights. Let them have this. They deserve it.

7 Likes

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 19, 2014
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by soonest(f): 11:39am On Oct 19, 2014
phabulous88:

The research didn't say it wasn't painful but that women generally exaggerate the pain. By the way, is it not just about excreting something? What's the big deal? undecided
What's the big deal? May God have mercy on you. I wish you will have an opportunity of going to labour room and just seeing with your eyes. I know you are not a father cos no father will yarn this dust that's coming out of your mouth.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Jahblessme: 11:44am On Oct 19, 2014
I pray u noisemakers experience something that will give you pain close to labour smiley
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by phabulous88(m): 12:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
soonest:

What's the big deal? May God have mercy on you. I which you will have an opportunity of going to labour room and just seeing with your eyes. I know you are not a father cos no father will yarn this dust that's coming out of your mouth.

You guys don't get it, a research is an enquiry into the unknown. I didn't carry out the research, I'm only summarising and presenting its findings. By the way, the research was carried out on women like you and if 320 women agree to this, then its most likely true. 320 women cannot all be wrong.
Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 19, 2014

1 Like

Re: God bless all Mothers. Amen by LordReed(m): 1:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
phabulous88:

You guys don't get it, a research is an enquiry into the unknown. I didn't carry out the research, I'm only summarising and presenting its findings. By the way, the research was carried out on women like you and if 320 women agree to this, then its most likely true. 320 women cannot all be wrong.

The research never concluded that the women exaggerated the pain, it said the women could not remember the duration reliably. You come here and blow things out of proportion with a false report. Learn to read and assimilate properly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? / What Should I Do With This House Help? Pls, Advise. / Men And Toilet Etiquette

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.