Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) - Poems For Review (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) (18570 Views)

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! / A Critique Of Poems Featured In Nairaland's "The Poets" Competition Season 2 (2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2014
texanomaly:
Infinitely prostrate
Cool smilies demonstrate
Gentlemen elongate
And old songs emanate
I choose the number "eight".
iyabodeh:
I'm in ooo.
"To qualify for the competition, each poet is to write a five-line poem and should include a number at the top of that poem. It's that number we're going to use to pair the poets together. "
Hate is an emotion for the weak.
Love is its sister that's meek.
Hate loves love and it's abode it always seek.
Love is the meek with the loudest essence.
Hate is loud but it bows in love's presence.
grin

We have two eights. Shouldn't someone change their number?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by firestar(f): 8:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
Who summoned me?

OMA4U....
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by noble4d(m): 8:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
grin wow
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2014
To the fan I tied the rope
To end a life of no hope
Just when I wanna choke
I can't leave my debt unpaid
So I won't die today

Number 5

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
Krystalxxx: 1
Royver: 2
laykorn: 3
lordthunderbolt: 4
JigsawKillah:5
philtrum:7
texanomaly: 8
iyabodeh: 8
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by kagari: 9:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
I am called, iam awake,
i write for the sake.
yes poetry is at stake.
The fight i partake,
i would not forsake.
kagari 10

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 24, 2014
philtrum:7
kagari: 10
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Chuksemi(m): 10:40pm On Oct 24, 2014
Lay low.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
texanomaly:

Do those nice legs belong to you?
grin does it appeal to you?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by texanomaly(f): 10:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
Shouldn't numbers be assigned?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
Modified sir.
laykorn:

We have two eights. Shouldn't someone change their number?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
texanomaly:
Shouldn't numbers be a sighed?
Ma? What do you mean?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by texanomaly(f): 11:16pm On Oct 24, 2014
laykorn:

Ma? What do you mean?

Autocorrect...

I meant assigned.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by philtrum(m): 11:25pm On Oct 24, 2014
laykorn:

Ma? What do you mean?

I picked number 6 you gave me 7
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by gottoboy(m): 11:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
OMA4U:
ELIGIBILITY
1. Be a member of Nairaland
2. A participant must submit a poem of five lines (any theme), and above the poem should indicate a number (1, 2, 3 etc). This is the entry fee.
DEADLINE: Sunday 26-10-2014 Time: 6:00 pm

GUIDELINES
1. This is a collaborative poetry whereby two poets shall be paired together to write and submit a single poem of any theme.

2. The poem may be submitted by either of the poets, provided that every verse/stanza written shall have the name of the poet who writes that verse at the top of it.

3. At the end of the first round, ten (10) best poems shall be chosen for the second round and from which the best three (3) poems shall emerge the winners.

4. Our impeccable judges shall follow the outlines below to grade each poem:

i. Organization: Structure/Form of the poems; coherence/comprehension ( that is the ideas of the poem being presented as a whole; the meaning of the poem and how the meanings are being conveyed)
(20 marks)

ii. Poetic Devices/Dictions: The number and effectiveness of those devices that raise poetry beyond prose. Also, the poets' choice of words used to paint imagery and evoke emotions.
(20 marks)

iii. Content/Significance: Do the poems deal with human experience? To what extent has the poem changed or add to our understanding? The universal-tility of the poem: should the poem be translated to other languages, does it still apply to human's conditions?
(20 marks)

iv. Grammatical Accuracy: Well punctuated poems are more appreciated and can add to the cadence of a poem. Every word must be well spelt, except for the intentional use of MALAPROPISM.
(10 marks)

v. Theme/Analysis: Brief analysis of the poem will give better understanding of the poem and the analysis of how the poetic devices used help the poets to achieve their aims. This should come after the poem, NOT BEFORE.
(10 marks)

vi. Mood/Imagery: Can the readers feel the feelings? Does the poem evoke emotions? Does the poem lift spirits and/or suppress the readers to a different mood? (20 marks)

5. The competition begins:
First round: Saturday 01 - 11 - 2014; Time: 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm. Then, submission of scores will follow by the judges.
Second round: Sunday 02 - 11 - 2014; Time: Same time as the first round.

PRIZE
The ten best poems will automatically make it to our forthcoming Nairaland Anthology of Poems (Volume 1), while others are being screened. The anthology will be published in print as well as electronic and every qualified poet shall be reckoned with.

LET'S PROMOTE POETRY
We write to entertain, to rejoice and cry, to gasp and wonder, to share victories and defeats, pain and joy, to share love, life and death. We write to debate and discuss, to provoke and to questions the existence of things, to rebuke and probe. We write to address and proffer solutions to uprising in Nigeria, Africa, and the world at large.

Poets and poems that have inspired and lifted my spirit: Edgar Poe's Annabel Lee; William Shakespeare's sonnets, especially Sonnet 18 (Shall I compare thee to the summer's day? This poem lives in me) . Samuel Coleridge's Rime of an Ancient Mariner; John Fletcher's Upon a Honest Man's Fortune; Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird sing and Still I Rise; Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken; John Donne's Death be not proud; Wole Soyinka's Telephone Conversation and Abiku; Jared Angira; Gabriel Okara; Lenrie Peters; Sola Owoniyi's Homeless not Hopeless; Niyi Osundare, J. P. Clark etc

All these poets have done great things with words and have also inspired the world. So we, the poets of this generation can also inspire the generations to come.

Great Nairaland Poets! Advocates of what pen can do
Thanks
OMA
Siggy:
My Silent loquacious pen speaks louder than my quiet lips; A drop of ink makes a mighty word

Any question? May I be of help in any way?

Tag: Philtrum, niftyrules, okwutency,
JigsawKillah, gottoboy, harddon, poeticjazco,
dtito, isaiahogodo, paulaok4, basille, krystalxxx,
richommie, Chuksemi, Texanomaly, divepen,
michaelok, giyazz, nickz, firestar, Bamibor,
osiawa, kagari, elvisosho, maxwellbaba,
tjkdzyanju, AmiableJay, lordidol, mrwhat

Mention ᵐᵉ if ♈όϋ were tagged with me
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by sigmundfreud(m): 12:25am On Oct 25, 2014
Poetry;
A mocking mirror
Of images real
...lies!
Is it 6? Is it 9?
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by AbuuUthaymeen(m): 12:41am On Oct 25, 2014
Well done Laykorn, you're really going places just keep it up and never relax cheesy. Following dutifully!

==>AbuuUthaymeen
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by texanomaly(f): 12:49am On Oct 25, 2014
iyabodeh:
grin does it appeal to you?

Lol...a girl can't give another girl a compliment? You have nice legs. grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Tiyazman(m): 1:39am On Oct 25, 2014
Discomfort of my oculus, piercing and bringing heat
As what is made white becomes red and clanging
With rough edges like a ruffled feet
Even when I sleep, I feel thorns beneath
Morning mockery multiplied, that I wish the murk of it

-GIYAZZ (I'm that GIYAZZ guy who was tagged for the competition, I was banned by the antispambot for nothing. Lol. . . I said that so y'all should tag/refer/mention me with GIYAZZ, don't tag me with Tiyazman pls.) Thanks!

Tags: OMA4U and Laykorn

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 5:09am On Oct 25, 2014
GIYAZZ(Tiyazman):1
philtrum:6
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 5:14am On Oct 25, 2014
Tiyazman:
Discomfort of my oculus, piercing and bringing heat
As what is made white becomes red and clanging
With rough edges like a ruffled feet
Even when I sleep, I feel thorns beneath
Morning mockery multiplied, that I wish the murk of it

-GIYAZZ (I'm that GIYAZZ guy who was tagged for the competition, I was banned by the antispambot for nothing. Lol. . . I said that so y'all should tag/refer/mention me with GIYAZZ, don't tag me with Tiyazman pls.) Thanks!

Tags: OMA4U and Laykorn
- OMA4U. I can't do anything. I'm a competitor.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 25, 2014
sigmundfreud:
Poetry;
A mocking mirror
Of images real
...lies!
Is it 6? Is it 9?

OMA4U might not take this. You didn't pick a number. Why don't you modify before the deadline?

Nice lines.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 25, 2014
philtrum:

I picked number 6 you gave me 7

Sq,I made a mistake copy-pasting. I don't give numbers.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 25, 2014
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Tiyazman(m): 6:10am On Oct 25, 2014
laykorn:
GIYYAZ(Tiyazman):1
GIYAZZ grin
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 25, 2014
Tiyazman:
GIYAZZ grin
Modified
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 25, 2014
laykorn:
GIYAZZ(Tiyazman):1

I don't get it,how come there are two number ones
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 25, 2014
Krystalxxx:

I don't get it,how come there are two number ones

Two people submitted with the number 1
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 25, 2014
laykorn:

Two people submitted with the number 1

Isn't that going to be a problem
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 25, 2014
Krystalxxx:

OMA4U will decide. There are two eights also.
If it'd be a problem I think he'd have said so in his earlier posts.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 25, 2014
Krystalxxx:

If it'll be a problem I think he'd have said so in his earlier posts.
Re: Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 25, 2014
Krystalxxx:

If it is going to be a problem I think he'd have said so in his earlier posts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / Rhymes / The Last Monkey In Idanre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.