Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,160 members, 7,953,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:25 PM

Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences (30206 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by kennydee05(m): 5:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
Their was this tailor I gave my cloth to sew, after a week I went there for collection, so he kept postponing me to the extend that I was going there everyday. On those days he will be telling me to come back tomorrow, cone back tomorrow for like 2 weeks again.
But on this fateful day, after walking under the hot sun for 45 minutes, I decided to check on him, on getting there he gave me one of his flimsy excuses that my cloth is at where they are doing design, so I told him that he should take me to that shop just to hasten them. But to my surprise my cloth was under this tailor shop after he deceitfully took me round the street in the name of looking for where they are doing design on my cloth. I was so angry to that I quickly went home to take my NYSC ID card and I went straight to nearby police station to report....
The policeman was just pampering because of my NYSC ID card and he quickly ordered his boys to follow to me to the tailor's shop for immediate arrest.
To cut the long story short the guy and his boss were arrested and they paid dearly for it.... like 10K
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by obyikye(f): 5:22pm On Oct 19, 2014
Someone like me will give you my own time of collection, if it is not okay by you then you move to the next tailor. Anyway some tailo are greedy and must collect all the work without considering time factor.
MissMeiya:

That is what you must do! Never be honest with your tailor.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by spanzed(m): 5:27pm On Oct 19, 2014
After reading so many post I would also like to share my Tailor's disappointment...mehn Elegant showed me not to trust someone so much...This guy has been sewing clothes for me for 6months or so...but I always noticed that when I gave him the money for materials and we conclude on how he would sew the cloth he does otherwise...The most painful one he did that made me determine never to sew with him again...was one cool design he showed me on his Pad...I asked how much the material would cost and money for workmanship..we concluded @ 5k after I struggle to look for that money so that I would have that cloth,he keep scoping me for a month giving me stupid excuses..the most painful part is the transport I usually waste to his place...he later gave me that assurance to come for it on a saturday...I gave him more time but to my suprise when I went to collect my cloth,the material he use was inferior all those hausa material..didn't sew it as we agreed I was and still angry with him but no shii he taught me not to trust him...we still cool thou'' but my people I can't Sew with Elegant Fashion anylonger...PEACE

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by baaliyah(m): 5:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
Originalsly:
Don't you have a policy to sell after X number of days if the customer doesn't pick up? The problem with most tailors...even if they know they don't have the time they will still accept the job...if they say no is like losing money. I stopped using tailors a longgg time ago..sooo much disappointments that I noticed a trend...most tailors that disappoint always work in a position where they can see when anyone is coming so they have time to either grab your cloth and start workig on it...or to disappear. Tailors...almost all are cut from the same cloth...cloth of disappointment. If you had no choice..and was badly disappointed...take them to court...9 out of 10 judges will send them to prison..not because of your evidence....but because of the judge's

Bro, I cant sell customers' cloth. I could sell the already made if you made deposit and you dont balance up within one month, and your deposit refunded to u. I dont want trouble

bitter experiences with them!
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
obyikye:
Someone like me will give you my own time of collection, if it is not okay by you then you move to the next tailor. Anyway some tailo are greedy and must collect all the work without considering time factor.

That's just it. They will never tell you they can't do it. When you come to collect it, it's too late to go to someone else because they've already cut the cloth. So, we lie. And lie convincingly! I say I'm traveling, or I'm attending a wedding. wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Odunharry(m): 6:01pm On Oct 19, 2014
xynerise:
Trousers without pockets. I dropped my phone in my pocket and what I got was "Garbage in garbage out"
buhahahahah...na wtn our police suppose dy wear

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by brighter1: 6:10pm On Oct 19, 2014
Several times Have been disappointed by a tailor, and I feel like cutting his head with cutlass
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by walecharles: 6:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
Lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by bussycasty(f): 6:26pm On Oct 19, 2014
[color=#000099][/color] tailors r fond of disappointing there customers. There was a particular day I took ♍Ɣ material for ♍Ɣ tailor to sew for me n I will b travling to Lagos for d wedding d following week of which I xplained to ♍Ɣ tailor . I gave her d style . Unfortunately, ♍Ɣ tailor sow anoda style entirely,on getting to her shop she had already dropped ♍Ɣ cloth to one provision seller beside her shop so, I av no one to complain to .I collected d cloth n was calling dis tailor uptill today neva picked ♍Ɣ call Ω̴̩̩̩̥α xo I swap to another tailor o. Ω̴̩̩̩̥α xo I c am
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Agrika: 6:40pm On Oct 19, 2014
2 months to my my elder sis wedding, I gave my cloth to Oga Musa, 5 long yards, it was a family aso-ebi....eve to the wedding, my cloth has not been cut talkmore of being sown....na that night him carry Nokia torchlight phone dey take dey cut my cloth...I had to leave him because of wedding preparations...later in the morning of the wedding...I went back...him don finish to sow remain to "taste" the cloth...first and foremost...see the mgbeke style him sow for me...too make matters worse 5 yard gown no gree enter me...na so my nyash big...wat did he do with all dat material...no scarf sef...I be wan begin rake for ds man...something told me not to waste my saliva as my sister's wedding was take place in 2 hrs...I just packaged the cloth for inside nylon begin dey go house, I no tell am anything...dat was the last time I carry my two left legs go in shop...heard he was recently beaten black and blue by some soldiers...seems soldier wife gv am cloth make he sow for naming ceremony of her first son...and as usual he disappointed her.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by hadizadeezy(f): 6:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
lalasticlala:
It's a common knowledge that most tailors in Nigeria often disappoint their customers.

I have been disappointed severally by different tailors. There was a case I nearly cried. LOL.

Anyway just recently, my tailor of about 6 years just disappointed me today. I gave him a material to make for me about 2 weeks ago. I told him we are to wear it as uniform for an occasion.

Actually, we are doing Youth Weekend in my church. All these while I haven't been participating actively in Youth programmes in my church. But this time around, I decided to be serious and take active part in this youth weekend, of course like 2 sisters in the church have been encouraging me to. I attended youth meetings in preparation for the D-day. I rehearsed with them. I learnt the songs we were supposed to sing this Sunday, the D-day. I was assigned to take the bible reading, and I accepted. Only for the tailor to disappoint me.

So I will be odd. I have taken it in good faith.

So please share your own bitter experience with your tailor(s).

Have you ever been disappointed by a tailor, and How did you react or feel when you encountered the disappointment?
MOST tailors abi ALL
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by csbenedict: 7:09pm On Oct 19, 2014
Pls find time to read through because I believe these little nuggets will be really helpful concerning this issue of disappointment.This issue made me venture into tailoring and fashion designing.believe me, I have seen it all when it comes to tailor's disappointment. It doesn't happen to me directly but my customers who buy fabrics from me. At a time it became unbearable because the syndrome was seriously affecting my business.I was selling fabrics at taiwo street on the island but got prompted to go into tailoring for this same reason after graduation. Truth be told tailoring can be quite stressful but I believe that integrity can somehow be brought in. I will give you some tips to watch out for on your next visit to a tailor's shop. First of all, you will be safer with an educated tailor. Some come to me for a wear I charge them, they zoom off lamenting that baba wale at the next junction doesn't charge that much. Funny enough, the charge may be only a thousand higher than the acclaimed baba wale. But unknown to them, that's the sum that buys you "beyond reasonable doubt ". some will still run back when baba wale has murdered their cloth. So I think an educated tailor will be more compassionate and integrity driven than non educated ones. Furthermore, endeavour to check out the working tool of the tailor. I think you should be more comfortable with a tailor using industrial sewing machine than butterfly. And also look out for possession of other allied machines such as weaving and button and buttonholes machines. These factors really play out in getting your work done on time.
Finally, Pls don't give up on us because really this country has the assemblage of great tailors comparable to the best of the world. That's my humble gospel

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
I had a v.bad experience wt tailor, dat ws one of the reason I bcm tailor. Well, I don't see reason y tailors nid tto disapoint bt sm tailorS blv if dey don't disapoint, customers wnt rily value dem.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
Only God can deliver tailors from lies and disappointment. So funny comments. Lol.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by mcmeffy(m): 7:39pm On Oct 19, 2014
Lolz.. Dz thread reminds me of ALBERT.. Chai w@ a wonderful dissapointer.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Busuyib(f): 7:48pm On Oct 19, 2014
naijaboiy:
hmmmm

Solo the tailor! embarassed

I can ne'er forget solo the tailor cry

I gave solo some yards of white material to sow me a white shirt for my school uniform back then cos I didn't like buying the ones our school tailors made.

This was 3weeks to resumption and solo had all the time in the universe to complete this work and even loosen the threads and sew it again.

I was to go on saturday and I came on thursday to collect my clothes,,only for solo to tell me that his mother had been sick and he went to the village to see her.

He said he was almost through and that I should come the next day. Little did I know that solo had not even cut the material talk more of sewing.

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and come on saturday to collect my clothes. Solo was not around when I came,,only his apprentice. The apprentice gave the clothes that solo had sewn for me,,probably overnight.

I decided to test the clothes,,before leaving the shop...Lo and behold cheesy
One hand was longer than the other one,,the other shirt was pure sleeveless. Material was not enough for that one,,prolly cos he had wasted the material.

I left the clothes there angrily and went back home to manage the old uniforms I have.

Later on I heard he was arrested by another customer because he sold her material to another lady.

But solo's shop is still erect and he's still working and having customers shocked

That guy must be using some sort of jazz undecided
LMAO!
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Busuyib(f): 7:51pm On Oct 19, 2014
Lol
Pronmix:
The story of Abubakar comes to mind when I saw this topic, dude was supposed to sow my uniform I would resume school with in about 3 weeks very much plenty time right (lol), I actually noticed something was wrong when he was taking measurements, tried explaining how and what style I want it to be he kept saying he understands and I thought yeah he must have been doing this a long time to know what's up very wrong, he said I should come a week later I showed up, his colleague said he's out of town but dropped message that I should check back next week, came again he said he's done but needs to iron it that I should come later, came back when he asked the shop was closed now its few days to resumption I began to panic cos since then he wouldn't pick mumsy's call, we had to set spies to catch him unawares he brought the "uniform" lol if it was qualified to be called that it looked like Fela's tailor was having a bad day, the trousers was so tight at the waist area my junior boy was squashed to one side and the legs very fat I could sow another one with them, the shirt was something else picture Fela's tight shirts hanging at the midriff, it so funny I couldn't get angry. I skipped school for a week so as to get another one cos I already outgrew the old ones. Tailors, mechanics, shoe makers they all act the same one disappointment or the other.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Busuyib(f): 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
Una no go kil me wit laff o. I luv dis.
Dygeasy:
This one na recently o. This Eid Celebration that just passed. I gave my tailor my ankara material to sew normal buba and trousers for me one week to Sallah and I paid him right there to avoid rushing and any stupid excuses. I left and gave him all the time in the world. ONE day to sallah I went to his shop and he had finished my trouser and had designed the buba. All that was left was to couple the buba and my cloth don gallant. I gave him the thumbs up sign. Instinct just say make I test-drive my trouser na hin I wear am o. Before the trouser enter my waist, I just dey pull am dey twist my waist. Trouser wey dey use rope faa, no be belt o. I no talk, I wear am like that. I con look myself by myself, I see say one leg na pencil, the other na bootcut. What tha? I looked at him. Wetin be this? "Hope you know I must collect this cloth today?"

His apprentice said "Ehn na. Shebi we don finish am?"

"Finish wetin? This one wey I wear resemble cloth for your eyes? Na you invent this style?"

The guy dey look.

"Answer na." I told him. "Oga," I faced my tailor."Who sewed my cloth?"

He had to tell me it was his apprentice. A girl for that matter. "A girl sewed my clothes? We don too play abi?"

I collected my cloth on Sallah dah gangan and the cloth no balance up till today. They had to loosen, resew, cut over and over again.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Busuyib(f): 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
Dygeasy:
This one na recently o. This Eid Celebration that just passed. I gave my tailor my ankara material to sew normal buba and trousers for me one week to Sallah and I paid him right there to avoid rushing and any stupid excuses. I left and gave him all the time in the world. ONE day to sallah I went to his shop and he had finished my trouser and had designed the buba. All that was left was to couple the buba and my cloth don gallant. I gave him the thumbs up sign. Instinct just say make I test-drive my trouser na hin I wear am o. Before the trouser enter my waist, I just dey pull am dey twist my waist. Trouser wey dey use rope faa, no be belt o. I no talk, I wear am like that. I con look myself by myself, I see say one leg na pencil, the other na bootcut. What tha? I looked at him. Wetin be this? "Hope you know I must collect this cloth today?"

His apprentice said "Ehn na. Shebi we don finish am?"

"Finish wetin? This one wey I wear resemble cloth for your eyes? Na you invent this style?"

The guy dey look.

"Answer na." I told him. "Oga," I faced my tailor."Who sewed my cloth?"

He had to tell me it was his apprentice. A girl for that matter. "A girl sewed my clothes? We don too play abi?"

I collected my cloth on Sallah dah gangan and the cloth no balance up till today. They had to loosen, resew, cut over and over again.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by wayne4loan: 8:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by talima(m): 8:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
lalasticlala:
It's a common knowledge that most tailors in Nigeria often disappoint their customers.

I have been disappointed severally by different tailors. There was a case I nearly cried. LOL.

Anyway just recently, my tailor of about 6 years just disappointed me today. I gave him a material to make for me about 2 weeks ago. I told him we are to wear it as uniform for an occasion.

Actually, we are doing Youth Weekend in my church. All these while I haven't been participating actively in Youth programmes in my church. But this time around, I decided to be serious and take active part in this youth weekend, of course like 2 sisters in the church have been encouraging me to. I attended youth meetings in preparation for the D-day. I rehearsed with them. I learnt the songs we were supposed to sing this Sunday, the D-day. I was assigned to take the bible reading, and I accepted. Only for the tailor to disappoint me.

So I will be odd. I have taken it in good faith.

So please share your own bitter experience with your tailor(s).

Have you ever been disappointed by a tailor, and How did you react or feel when you encountered the disappointment?
season's promo. Are u resident in porthacourt? Have ur tailor disappointed u? Get ur tradional cloth sewn and deliver in 48hrs. Call; 08038409958
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by naturally: 8:46pm On Oct 19, 2014
TERRYNKEM:
its not funny at all wen these tailors disappoint u. word of advice,if you will need ur clothe by DEC,give it to a tailor by Nov or Oct to avoid disappointment

You will be surprised that it won't still be ready in DEC. They have procrastination virus in them
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by IYANGBALI: 8:50pm On Oct 19, 2014
eleko1:
Must U expose the initiate? angry sad
sowie no vex grin
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by lalasticlala(m): 9:03pm On Oct 19, 2014
naturally:

You will be surprised that it won't still be ready in DEC. They have procrastination virus in them

exactly

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by bunmishontelle(f): 9:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
Several of them, but the most painful were

1.The tailor that sewed blatant rubbish for me as my best lady attire in '12 after collecting twice the amount & wasting my time. I cried that day cos I was unable to be the best lady I had dreamt of since we were girls

2. The tongue 'jazzed' tailor that talked me out of buying a new gown for my final year dinner party. Only for her to disappear with money& material.

You know how it feels when you buy ticket, make fine hair for dinner and don't eventually go :PSeveral of them, but the most painful were

1.The tailor that sewed blatant rubbish for me as my best lady attire in '12 after collecting twice the amount & wasting my time. I cried that day cos I was unable to be the best lady I had dreamt of since we were girls

2. The tongue 'jazzed' tailor that talked me out of buying a new gown for my final year dinner party. Only for her to disappear with money& material.

You know how it feels when you buy ticket, make fine hair for dinner and don't eventually go
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
I had quite a no of disappointments to last me a life time from them. Oh, how the lot messed up my style ideas and ETDs. Duhhhh, I remember spending days both day and night dreaming about ideas that would eventually come to life only for them to ruin it beyond redemption. Anyway, it pushed me to learn the craft. Now I sow all my cloths by myself...no headaches cool
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by JEITO: 9:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
NB: never trust any tailor named"PETER" it is for your own good angry
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by estheremma(f): 9:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
Pronmix:
The story of Abubakar comes to mind when I saw this topic, dude was supposed to sow my uniform I would resume school with in about 3 weeks very much plenty time right (lol), I actually noticed something was wrong when he was taking measurements, tried explaining how and what style I want it to be he kept saying he understands and I thought yeah he must have been doing this a long time to know what's up very wrong, he said I should come a week later I showed up, his colleague said he's out of town but dropped message that I should check back next week, came again he said he's done but needs to iron it that I should come later, came back when he asked the shop was closed now its few days to resumption I began to panic cos since then he wouldn't pick mumsy's call, we had to set spies to catch him unawares he brought the "uniform" lol if it was qualified to be called that it looked like Fela's tailor was having a bad day, the trousers was so tight at the waist area my junior boy was squashed to one side and the legs very fat I could sow another one with them, the shirt was something else picture Fela's tight shirts hanging at the midriff, it so funny I couldn't get angry. I skipped school for a week so as to get another one cos I already outgrew the old ones. Tailors, mechanics, shoe makers they all act the same one disappointment or the other.
my belle o lol a beg I no wan laff again

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 19, 2014
Thank God I finally find my own tailor! Before then, chai I suffered in the hands of tailors, no be small.
There is this neighbor that use to wear fine styles, mumu me gave her about six materials at a go, not knowing someone else use to sow her own cloth for her, she ruined the material no be small.
Though this new guy is expensive, but I'm always at ease whenever I give him clothes to sow.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by lalasticlala(m): 9:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
aanumama:
Thank God I finally find my own tailor! Before then, chai I suffered in the hands of tailors, no be small.
Their is this neighbor that use to wear fine styles, mumu me gave her about six materials at a go, not knowing someone else use to sow her own cloth for her, she ruined the material no be small.
Though this new guy is expensive, but I'm always at ease whenever I give him clothes to sow.
LOL
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences by estheremma(f): 9:46pm On Oct 19, 2014
Mine was bad.I was four months Peggy n gave my tailor a nice material to make me maternity blouse. She gave me d blouse 2 days to my EDD n I never wore that cloth.I miss her though good tailors are hard to find

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Former SA President Mbeki Calls Chidimma Saga "Sordid", Blasts Ministers (PICS) / Most Common Shoe Sizes For Men And Women / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.