Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? (6830 Views)

Which Of These Acts Are You Guilty Of While In The Church? / Ghanian Bishop Accuses TB Joshua and Chris Oyakhilome Of Practising Occultism / Ghanian Bishop Accuses TB Joshua And Chris Oyakhilome Of Practising Occultism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 2:51am On Oct 19, 2014
WHAT IS MYSTICISM?

Mysticism may be defined as the pursuit of a deeper or higher subjective religious experience. It is the belief that spiritual reality is perceived apart from the human intellect and natural senses. It looks for truth internally, weighing feelings, intuition, and other internal sensations more heavily than objective, observable, external data. Mysticism ultimately derives its authority from a self-actualized, self authenticated light arising from within. This irrational and anti- intellectual approach is the antithesis of Christian theology [John MacArthur NT Commentary: Colossians, 120].

How many of us are guilty of practicing mysticism, while calling it spirituality?

See this link for the second part of my post: www.nairaland.com/1955990/guilty-practising-mysticism/2#27288047
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Nobody: 3:30am On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:
WHAT IS MYSTICISM?
This irrational and anti- intellectual approach is the antithesis of Christian theology [John MacArthur NT Commentary: Colossians, 120].
Funniest line I have read this week. The irony. grin

5 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 6:33am On Oct 19, 2014
I'm not guilty.

I'm very proud of practicing it.

If you want to start practicing it, let me know and I'll send you the beginners manual.

It clears and refreshes your mind, body and soul.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by joseph1832(m): 6:35am On Oct 19, 2014
You call Mysticism "irrational and anti- intellectual". Dude you have another thing coming.

Perhaps I should also say your faith is 'irrational and anti-intellectual' judging by the murderous trend of the followers of your religion.

I case you forgot: I urge you to do a thorough check and research about your faith and you'll see the murderous trail it leaves behind.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by EMERIT2US(m): 6:41am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:
I'm not guilty.

If you want to start practicing it, let me know and I'll send you the beginners manual.

i want to start practising it, but pls tell me what I'd gain
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 6:49am On Oct 19, 2014
EMERIT2US:
i want to start practising it, but pls tell me what I'd gain

Just so you know, mysticism is not magic.

Take is as yoga, but this type of yoga is strictly for the mind.

The mind is a very powerful tool.

You gain satisfaction, peace of mind, less worry about worldly things.

Its been said that some people can enter another realm through mysticism. (Astral projection).

I Neva reach that level yet, but I hope to attain the level very soon.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 6:53am On Oct 19, 2014
For those of you willing to learn the art of mysticism, download the book called "practical mysticism" by Evelyn Underwood.

The best, and straight to the point.

Here's the free ebook version.

http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Evelyn-Underhill-Practical-Mysticism.pdf?aaf522

Read everything, including the preface.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by 2cato: 6:54am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

Its been said that some people can enter another realm through mysticism. (Astral projection).

how may i contact you
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by EMERIT2US(m): 6:57am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:
For those of you willing to learn the art of mysticism, download the book called "practical mysticism" by Evelyn Underwood.

The best, and straight to the point.
ok
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 6:58am On Oct 19, 2014
2cato:
how may i contact you

To be on the safe side, download a book called "PRACTICAL MYSTICISM" by Evelyn Underwood.

The best for beginners.

When you're done with that, there are other books that are strictly for Advance level Mysticism. (I never reach that level yet).

3 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by bolaino(m): 7:11am On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:
WHAT IS MYSTICISM?

Mysticism may be defined as the pursuit of a deeper or higher subjective religious experience. It is the belief that spiritual reality is perceived apart from the human intellect and natural senses. It looks for truth internally, weighing feelings, intuition, and other internal sensations more heavily than objective, observable, external data. Mysticism ultimately derives its authority from a self-actualized, self authenticated light arising from within. This irrational and anti- intellectual approach is the antithesis of Christian theology [John MacArthur NT Commentary: Colossians, 120].

How many of us are guilty of practicing mysticism, while calling it spirituality?
why should one feel guilt in practicing mysticism?

1 Like

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by SalC: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2014
Never looked at mysticism as something bad, some people are just mystics not because they desired it or acquired it, how then do we categorise these people.

1 Like

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Ukutsgp(m): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2014
SalC:
Never looked at mysticism as something bad, some people just mystics not because the desired it or acquired it, how then do we categorise these people.
i know the catholic embrace anything bad even gays.

1 Like

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by MizMyColi(f): 7:38am On Oct 19, 2014
While I may not practice mysticism statutorily, I am more of a mystic - talk of being born that way.

Please, what is anti-intellectual about a mystic who:

as a person, seeks by contemplation and
self-surrender to obtain unity with or
absorption into the Deity or the absolute,
[size=20pt]or[/size] who believes in the spiritual
apprehension of truths that are beyond
the intellect:

#TeamMysticAbegi
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 7:50am On Oct 19, 2014
The comments so far are very interesting. I was hoping to attract comments from Pentecostals, though.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by MizMyColi(f): 7:58am On Oct 19, 2014
^^^
They have gone to church.
They will soon be back.
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by SalC: 8:06am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

To be on the safe side, download a book called "PRACTICAL MYSTICISM" by Evelyn Underwood.

The best for beginners.

When you're done with that, there are other books that are strictly for Advance level Mysticism. (I never reach that level yet).
Lol learning mysticism? Sounds funny

1 Like

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:08am On Oct 19, 2014
MizMyColi:
While I may not practice mysticism statutorily, I am more of a mystic - talk of being born that way.

Please, what is anti-intellectual about a mystic who:

as a person, seeks by contemplation and
self-surrender to obtain unity with or
absorption into the Deity or the absolute,
[size=20pt]or[/size] who believes in the spiritual
apprehension of truths that are beyond
the intellect:

#TeamMysticAbegi
are u a christian at all? U dnt sound like one.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by MizMyColi(f): 8:16am On Oct 19, 2014
Ukutsgp:

Owh really?
So what gave me away?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:20am On Oct 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

Owh really?
So what gave me away?
u are neither here nor there. U are lukewarm neither cold nor hot.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by MizMyColi(f): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2014
Ukutsgp:
u are neither here nor there. U are lukewarm neither cold nor hot.

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by herald9: 8:42am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:
I'm not guilty.

If It's based on intuition... do you still need a manual?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 8:47am On Oct 19, 2014
herald9:

Una too dey ask silly questions, how can you know what mysticism is if you are not guided?

The manual is a guide book on the steps to follow.

Everyone have read the book and is satisfied.

If you no wan learn am, go Siddon.

Who dey beg you?

Mysticism is not something to play with.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by herald9: 8:55am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

Una too dey ask silly questions, how can you know what mysticism is if you are not guided?

The manual is a guide book on the steps to follow.

Everyone have read the book and is satisfied.

If you no wan learn am, go Siddon.

Who dey beg you?

Mysticism is not something to play with.

cheesy

Abeg chill joor

Where can I get it?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 9:00am On Oct 19, 2014
herald9:

cheesy

Abeg chill joor

Where can I get it?

The book can be downloaded from Google.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 9:03am On Oct 19, 2014
Ukutsgp:

The reason for the thread is to first of all show that mysticism is not Christian. The second thing I hope to show is that many Pentecostals are guilty of practising mysticism and that this is a root of much errors in that movement.

But so far the responses are even helping to prove my thesis right. Real mystics are responding to the thread and from their posts one can see that they are not Christian at all.

I would like to know the opinion of "elders" on the forum who are Pentecostals, especially Bidam and Image123. trustman, BabaGnoni, Candour, vooks, nannymcphee, SirJohn, PastorKun, Goshen360, Peter007, tgirl4real, frosbel, shdemidemi, etc, opinion are welcome. Hope you see the mention.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by herald9: 9:07am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

The book can be downloaded from Google.

Title et Author?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Ymodulus: 9:28am On Oct 19, 2014
herald9:

You are right. I am astonished to the fact that he said a manual after saying in his definition that it is anti intellectual and irrational. These two words are heavy and goes against the his words.

This irrational and anti- intellectual approach is the antithesis of Christian theology

Please remove the above quoted line because its wrong and goes against your words.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Boss13: 9:35am On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

The reason for the thread is to first of all show that mysticism is not Christian. The second thing I hope to show is that many Pentecostals are guilty of practising mysticism and that this is a root of much errors in that movement.

But so far the responses are even helping to prove my thesis right. Real mystics are responding to the thread and from their posts one can see that they are not Christian at all.

I would like to know the opinion of "elders" on the forum who are Pentecostals, especially Bidam and Image123. trustman, BabaGnoni, Candour, vooks, nannymcphee, SirJohn, PastorKun, Goshen360, Peter007, tgirl4real, frosbel, shdemidemi, etc, opinion are welcome. Hope you see the mention.

We are all Mystics. The chanting and incarnations a.k.a prayer. Kneeling down, altering your conscious mind etc.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 11:03am On Oct 19, 2014
Boss13:

We are all Mystics. The chanting and incarnations a.k.a prayer. Kneeling down, altering your conscious mind etc.

I thought you were atheist. Do you atheists practice mysticism?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 11:05am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:
I'm not guilty.

Are you a Christian?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by joseph1832(m): 11:22am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

Can I have the manual please?.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Jesus Died For Our Sins : The Road To Easter / Can God Bless Someone Financially Through Gambling? / Did God Realy Killed Innocent People As Claim By Atheist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.