Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? (6854 Views)

Which Of These Acts Are You Guilty Of While In The Church? / Ghanian Bishop Accuses TB Joshua and Chris Oyakhilome Of Practising Occultism / Ghanian Bishop Accuses TB Joshua And Chris Oyakhilome Of Practising Occultism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by joseph1832(m): 11:24am On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

Are you a Christian?
He just explained vividly that he's not!.

Mysticism if different from christianity.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 11:34am On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

Are you a Christian?

Was.

I thought I made it clear?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 11:37am On Oct 19, 2014
joseph1832:
Can I have the manual please?.

You need to buy it, search google for it.

The name of the book and the author have been posted.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by joseph1832(m): 11:47am On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

You need to buy it, search google for it.

The name of the book and the author have been posted.
Where is it posted?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 11:58am On Oct 19, 2014
joseph1832:
Where is it posted?

Lucky you.

I Just saw the free ebook online.

Mine's the hard copy.

http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Evelyn-Underhill-Practical-Mysticism.pdf?aaf522
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by BabaGnoni: 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:
For those of you willing to learn the art of mysticism, download the book called "practical mysticism" by Evelyn Underwood.

The best, and straight to the point.

shaggy007:

To be on the safe side, download a book called "PRACTICAL MYSTICISM" by Evelyn Underwood.

The best for beginners.

When you're done with that, there are other books that are strictly for Advance level Mysticism. (I never reach that level yet).

bolaino:
why should one feel guilt in practicing mysticism?

SalC:
Never looked at mysticism as something bad, some people are just mystics not because they desired it or acquired it, how then do we categorise these people.

WinsomeX:
The comments so far are very interesting. I was hoping to attract comments from Pentecostals, though.

shaggy007:

Una too dey ask silly questions, how can you know what mysticism is if you are not guided?

The manual is a guide book on the steps to follow.

Everyone have read the book and is satisfied.

If you no wan learn am, go Siddon.

Who dey beg you?

Mysticism is not something to play with.

herald9:

cheesy

Abeg chill joor

Where can I get it?

shaggy007:

The book can be downloaded from Google.

WinsomeX:

The reason for the thread is to first of all show that mysticism is not Christian. The second thing I hope to show is that many Pentecostals are guilty of practising mysticism and that this is a root of much errors in that movement.

But so far the responses are even helping to prove my thesis right. Real mystics are responding to the thread and from their posts one can see that they are not Christian at all.

I would like to know the opinion of "elders" on the forum who are Pentecostals, especially Bidam and Image123. trustman, BabaGnoni, Candour, vooks, nannymcphee, SirJohn, PastorKun, Goshen360, Peter007, tgirl4real, frosbel, shdemidemi, etc, opinion are welcome. Hope you see the mention.

I think shaggy007's bottom line was spot on where he said "Mysticism is not something to play with"

Mysticism, is Meditation in some or most ways.

Mystic is defined as a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender ‎ to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.

There is a time and place for Mysticism or to be mystified. Abram mystified, Isaac meditated, David meditated, Gallelio mystified, Isaac Newton mystified etcetera.

Knowing when not to be delusional or veering into the realm of demonic powers is important. There is a gray line, once that's crossed, then it's journeying into sorcery or witchcraft a-la Saul and the Witch of Endor style.

Mysticism without scriptural fall back or validation is harmful and dangerous. Gallelio's (e.g. that the earth is round and not flat as the RCC was making all to believe back then) et al assertions were all along validated or alluded to already in the bible.

"It is the glory of God to conceal things,
but the glory of kings is to search things out
"
- Proverbs 25:2 KJ Bible

Proverbs 25:2 encourages mysticism, it is the abuse or misuse, that no doubt is frowned upon

Mysticism abused or misused is ‎scam(s) perpetrated, hiding behind some esoteric false revelation. This is going against what is normal, just to hoodwink the vulnerable and easily impressionable with some "new truth" that has no biblical basis to back it up with.
It doesn't set anyone free but instead adds more to the burdens, clips on extra yokes,‎ puts on extra scales to the eyes, further blurring people's vision or sight.

If mysticism is done along with the cooperation of the Holy Spirit, then it is a sure banker and can't go wrong.

We don't seek answers from any other source except the Bible and validation of the Holy Spirit

- Abel, Noah, Moses, John the Baptist, Peter, Paul et al and Jesus were probably perceived as mystics by their contemporaries back then

It is a good thread, will be interesting to read or see what comes out of the woodwork about it.

IMHO, for all it's worth, the book; "PRACTICAL MYSTICISM" by Evelyn Underwood is overrated
http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Evelyn-Underhill-Practical-Mysticism.pdf

2 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:04pm On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:
WHAT IS MYSTICISM?

Mysticism may be defined as the pursuit of a deeper or higher subjective religious experience. It is the belief that spiritual reality is perceived apart from the human intellect and natural senses. It looks for truth internally, weighing feelings, intuition, and other internal sensations more heavily than objective, observable, external data. Mysticism ultimately derives its authority from a self-actualized, self authenticated light arising from within. This irrational and anti- intellectual approach is the antithesis of Christian theology [John MacArthur NT Commentary: Colossians, 120].

How many of us are guilty of practicing mysticism, while calling it spirituality?

http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Evelyn-Underhill-Practical-Mysticism.pdf?aaf522
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
joseph1832:
You call Mysticism "irrational and anti- intellectual". Dude you have another thing coming.

Perhaps I should also say your faith is 'irrational and anti-intellectual' judging by the murderous trend of the followers of your religion.

I case you forgot: I urge you to do a thorough check and research about your faith and you'll see the murderous trail it leaves behind.

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 12:06pm On Oct 19, 2014
@BabaGnoni,

Is that book written by a Christian?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by joseph1832(m): 12:09pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

Lucky you.

I Just saw the free ebook online.

Mine's the hard copy.

Thanks but I prefer hard copy.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 12:10pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

Was.

I thought I made it clear?

Maybe I missed it. Thank you for the response.

From basic mysticism, do you hear voices from spirits? Do you speak in tongues? What does mysticism say of the after life? Where do you disagree with basic Christian doctrines?

I know the book you suggested here will have the answers but for the sake of the thread and those who cannot endure reading the long text in the book, please can you answer the questions? Thank you.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:
@BabaGnoni,

Is that book written by a Christian?

It's a holy book written by an elite group of Mystics, and propagated by Evelyn Underwood.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

From basic mysticism, do you hear voices from spirits? Do you speak in tongues? What does mysticism say of the after life? Where do you disagree with basic Christian doctrines?

I know the book you suggested here will have the answers but for the sake of the thread and those who cannot endure reading the long text in the book, please can you answer the questions? Thank you.

It's alright.

When you reach the advanced level of mysticism, you can start talking about spirits and all.

The book prepares you for that stage.

But in the beginners stage, you will be amazed at what you will gain.

Some people stop at the beginners stage only.

You don't go around f.uckin.g with spirits if you are not ready.

And when I say "spirits", I don't mean demons.

Demons are a spirits under the control of the devil.

You learn that in occultism (that's a WHOLE different $h1t from mysticism).
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by BabaGnoni: 12:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

It's a holy book written by an elite group of Mystics, and propagated by Evelyn Underwood.

"Holy" in a different context and meaning

WinsomeX:

Save your breath, the book gives answers like ice has any chance surviving in hell grin
That is wishful thinking, which is why I said it is overrated
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
BabaGnoni:

"Holy" in a different context and meaning

Save your breath, the book gives answers like ice has any chance surviving in hell grin
That is wishful thinking, which is why I said it is overrated

Do you even know the meaning of the word "holy"?

Mysticism is a religion, and every religion has a holy book.

That book is just a tip off the iceberg.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by BabaGnoni: 12:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

Do you even know the meaning of the word "holy"?

Mysticism is a religion, and every religion has a holy book.

That book is just a tip off the iceberg

Yeah, and "PRACTICAL MYSTICISM" by Evelyn Underwood is a holy book

Don't get it twisted, Mysticism is a state of mind.

The only true religion, acceptable to God is James 1:27

Obviously written to sell to unsuspecting punters. The book is full of hot air, which is why I said it is overrated
- 10 Chapters, no head, no tail. Time waster and none the wiser to anyone reading it
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 12:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

It's alright.

When you reach the advanced level of mysticism, you can start talking about spirits and all.

The book prepares you for that stage.

But in the beginners stage, you will be amazed at what you will gain.

Some people stop at the beginners stage only.

You don't go around f.uckin.g with spirits if you are not ready.

And when I say "spirits", I don't mean demons.

Demons are a spirits under the control of the devil.

You learn that in occultism (that's a WHOLE different $h1t from mysticism).

Thank you for your answer. But you still didn't touch on my questions. Here they are properly stated:

WinsomeX:

From basic mysticism, do you hear voices from spirits?

Do you speak in tongues?

What does mysticism say of the after life?

Where do you disagree with basic Christian doctrines?

1 Like

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
BabaGnoni:

Yeah, and "PRACTICAL MYSTICISM" by Evelyn Underwood is a holy book

Don't get it twisted, Mysticism is a state of mind.

The only true religion, acceptable to God is James 1:27

Obviously written to sell to unsuspecting punters. The book is full of hot air, which is why I said it is overrated
- 10 Chapters, no head, no tail. Time waster and none the wiser to anyone reading it

That's why its the beginners version.

It prepares you.

Mysticism requires a lot of focus.

Those boring details teach you how to focus.

It's not a book you read for fun.

Even the bible and the Quran have more boring details.

Who reads holy books for fun?

Which holy book is interesting?

I was discouraged initially but now I am reaping the benefits of Mysticism, you are reaping the benefits of your own religion (I hope).
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:43pm On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

Thank you for your answer. But you still didn't touch on my questions. Here they are properly stated:

From basic mysticism, do you hear voices from spirits?

NO WE DON'T. THATS OCCULTISM.

Do you speak in tongues?

HELL NO. WTF IS THAT?

What does mysticism say of the after life?

NOTHING. WE DONT BELIEVE IN AFTERLIFE.

Where do you disagree with basic Christian doctrines?

BECAUSE THE DOCTRINES ARE THEORIES.
MYSTICISM DEALS WITH PRACTICALITY.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by shaggy007(m): 12:49pm On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

WHY MYSTICS DISAGREE WITH THE CHRISTIAN DOCTRINES.

let's take an example from the bible.

Let's assume the bible is the holy book of Mystics.

When the bible tells you "Jesus walked on water", it will explain it on details and tell you what to do to walk on water yourself.

Not just theory and parables.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 1:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
shaggy007:

WHY MYSTICS DISAGREE WITH THE CHRISTIAN DOCTRINES.

let's take an example from the bible.

Let's assume the bible is the holy book of Mystics.

When the bible tells you "Jesus walked on water", it will explain it on details and tell you what to do to walk on water yourself.

Not just theory and parables.

Thank you for the answers.

OK.

I am getting now.

So Mysticism is a "CAN DO" theory. It deals with practical things: it is PRAGMATIC.

Is there a relation between Mysticism and New Thoughts? I mean do mystics do positive confession; do you invoke forces to bring about result in life? Are you concerned with using mysticism to obtain wealth and find healing?

Thanks on advance for your answers.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by PastorKun(m): 3:59pm On Oct 19, 2014
WinsomeX:

The reason for the thread is to first of all show that mysticism is not Christian. The second thing I hope to show is that many Pentecostals are guilty of practising mysticism and that this is a root of much errors in that movement.

But so far the responses are even helping to prove my thesis right. Real mystics are responding to the thread and from their posts one can see that they are not Christian at all.

I would like to know the opinion of "elders" on the forum who are Pentecostals, especially Bidam and Image123. trustman, BabaGnoni, Candour, vooks, nannymcphee, SirJohn, PastorKun, Goshen360, Peter007, tgirl4real, frosbel, shdemidemi, etc, opinion are welcome. Hope you see the mention.

I don't entirely agree with you. Personally I have had a mystical experience before and I can assure you it was a 100% christian experience.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by trustman: 5:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
PastorKun:

I don't entirely agree with you. Personally I have had a mystical experience before and I can assure you it was a 100% christian experience.

Can you share it and relate it with Scriptures?
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by BabaGnoni: 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
PastorKun:

Life of Francis of Assisi by José Benlliure y Gil

Etymology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_mysticism

"Mysticism" is derived from the Greek μυω, meaning "to conceal", and its derivative μυστικός, mystikos, meaning 'an initiate'.

In the Hellenistic world, a "mystikos" was an initiate of a mystery religion. "Mystical" referred to secret religious rituals and use of the word lacked any direct references to the transcendental.

In early Christianity the term "mystikos" referred to three dimensions, which soon became intertwined, namely the biblical, the liturgical and the spiritual or contemplative.

The biblical dimension refers to "hidden" or allegorical interpretations of Scriptures.
The liturgical dimension refers to the liturgical mystery of the Eucharist, the presence of Christ at the Eucharist.
The third dimension is the contemplative or experiential knowledge of God.

shaggy007 is of the former and saddling in transcendental
PastorKun like some of us is of the latter
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by vooks: 6:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
It is difficult to draw a clear line between mysticism and any religion. My take is to stick to scriptures as much as possible and challenge ANY PRACTICE whether it lines up with God's Word
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by WinsomeX: 6:14pm On Oct 19, 2014
PastorKun:

I think this is the very thing we are to avoid in Christianity, where an experience become some kind of an authority; whether 100% real or not.
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by plaetton: 8:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
Ukutsgp:
are u a christian at all? U dnt sound like one.

Lol.
What exactly do you think you sound like?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:49pm On Oct 19, 2014
plaetton:

Lol.
What exactly do you think you sound like?
i'm i talking to u? See me see wahala o..
Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by plaetton: 8:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
vooks:
It is difficult to draw a clear line between mysticism and any religion. My take is to stick to scriptures as much as possible and challenge ANY PRACTICE whether it lines up with God's Word

According to scripture, Jesus practised mysticism.
Praying to a nonphysical deity is mystical.
Baptism is a mystical practice.
Fasting is a mystical practice.
Communion is a mystical practice.
Praying at any alter is mystical practice.
Paying tithe is a mystical practice.
Singing hosanna is a mystical practice.

Every religion has an outer layer for the masses, and an inner mystical layer for the priesthood.

Jesus even said" for the masses I will give the parables (bones to pick), for they will never understand, and for you my disciples, I will reveal the secrets( the meat).

1 Like

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by plaetton: 9:00pm On Oct 19, 2014
Ukutsgp:
i'm i talking to u? See me see wahala o..
When you post on a public forum, you're talking to everyone.
Haven't you figured that out yet?

Since you define what a Christian is, and who is a Christian, I asking what exactly do you consider your own peculiar beliefs to be classified under?

2 Likes

Re: Are You Guilty Of Practising Mysticism? by basille(m): 10:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
If you want pure knowledge and experience of mysticism, i suggest to join a school of mysticism or mystical organisation like AMORC.
The advantages are numerous, what you'd discover would literally turn your life around.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Horrific Facts About Hell That Your Pastor Never Told You / Complete Biography of Pastor Stephanie Ike. / Origin Of Christianity And Diabolical Mimicry In Anticipation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.