Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,985 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Office Romance - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Office Romance (2317 Views)

See Mary & John Having Office Romance And Poor Jessica Is Doing The Whole Job! / Employees having office romance at work. Details and photos... / How Do you End An Office Romance Between Two Married People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Romance by bizngr(f): 4:36pm On Oct 20, 2014

When people spend most of their uptime in close association, romantic connections are bound to develop. The chances of meeting your life long partner at work are extremely high. Over 70% of people within the age bracket of 24 – 39 are likely to meet their partner at work.

Most managers and employers don’t frown upon ‘serious’ relationships that are formed at work. However flings, adultery and sexual manipulation can cause some serious problems at work. So can favouritism, sexual harassment and discrimination.

Companies in the past have had fraternisation policies which forbid over familiarity between workmates. However, few companies enforced such policies, as they are generally not legally defensible. For example, what defines dating? Where's the line between friendship and dating? It’s important however, to discourage unwanted attention in company sexual harassment policy. This policy needs to be publicised company wide.

Problems of Office Romance

One of the main concerns for companies is the damage that can be done when romance doesn’t work out. Most workplace love affairs leave a trail of resentments, hurt feelings, and shattered working relationships in their wake. Some of the problems include:

- Accusations of favouritism;
- Decrease in productivity of parties involved;
- A decrease in the morale of colleagues;
- Vulnerability to a sexual harassment lawsuit after breakup; and
- Emotional distress of one or both parties.

Managing Office Romance

So here are some suggestions for managing the situation and minimizing the chances of such relationships developing…

- Make sure your company has a policy about workplace relationships. Ensure that every person knows about it and understands it.
- Consider making couples sign agreements. These are designed to make each party agree to conduct themselves professionally at all times, and adhere to the workplace harassment policy.

As a manager, it is best to deal with the effects of the romance, not the romance itself. For example, if it’s obvious that someone is often absent or is distracted at work, deal with the problem through the normal performance appraisal process.

It may be appropriate to make a list of ‘tips for couples’ available in the workplace such as the following:

- Make sure you know your company’s policy on relationships;
- Don’t broadcast the relationship unless it is official;
- Maintain your professional relationship with your partner; and
- Be discreet- public displays of affection are inappropriate in the workplace.

[size=18pt]Source[/size]
Re: Office Romance by bizngr(f): 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2014
Have you been or currently involved in office romance? Please do share your experience.... Let's make it fun and lively. grin
Re: Office Romance by onome710(m): 5:16pm On Oct 20, 2014
I have never been involved in office romance but it is a thing I would like to experiment..m when I have carried it out, I'll come back and post my observation, recommendation and my thesis! *smiles*
Re: Office Romance by mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2014
Here to observe
Re: Office Romance by marieolae(f): 8:35pm On Oct 20, 2014
Office romance can never work out. Its something that I can never do. Honestly. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 20, 2014
marieolae:
Office romance can never work out. Its something that I can never do. Honestly. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

You can only tell the outcome of what you hve done. Yours is a guess. Tried it once, it dint work doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.
Re: Office Romance by marieolae(f): 8:47pm On Oct 20, 2014
Tpappie:

You can only tell the outcome of what you hve done. Yours is a guess. Tried it once, it dint work doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.
ok then
Re: Office Romance by donigspain(m): 9:34pm On Oct 20, 2014
I choose to remain silent for whatever i say or write might be used against me in the court of law.
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2014
embarassed lipsrsealed, i'll pass
it was fun though, while it lasted!
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 27, 2014
Office romance make sense die grin

imagine Kim K. Look alike Walking into my office as a fresher mehn i cant imagine the volume of work i will do that week.

Infact guys are more effective in the presence of attractive females.

Our mood changes spontaneously, our moral hightens; talking, smiling, walking and running becomes easy all in the presence of an atractive female wait till she smiles at you gangan the kind euphoria the thing dey produce makes one blive in heaven.

AM IN LOVE WITH ATTRACTIVE GIRLS
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
marieolae:

pls ma'am mention sum of the disadvantages
Re: Office Romance by marieolae(f): 9:43pm On Oct 27, 2014
donclichy:

pls ma'am mention sum of the disadvantages
1. Your productivity in the office will decrease
2. Envious co workers will like to be "amebos"
3.People may begin to look down on your professionalism
4.It could even cost you your job
5.You become the subject of office gossip
6.You may find yourself competing with your partner in the office
7. If you eventually break up, things may become awkward if you have to work together

Mehn the list is endless.
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 27, 2014
marieolae:
7. If you eventually break up, things may become awkward if you have to work together

ma'am thats a catchy list you got up there may be you're talking from experience and a biter one esp.

Buh al the same i dnt think there is anything rong in playing some litle litle hide and seek games in the office, comes with the package, you knw the fun

and also i think moderation and keeping it tight is realy cool way to deal with it.
Re: Office Romance by marieolae(f): 10:02pm On Oct 27, 2014
donclichy:

ma'am thats a catchy list you got up there may be you're talking from experience and a biter one esp.

Buh al the same i dnt think there is anything rong in playing some litle litle hide and seek games in the office, comes with the package, you knw the fun

and also i think moderation and keeping it tight is realy cool way to deal with it.
I guess it all depends on the individuals involved smiley.
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
marieolae:
I guess it all depends on the individuals involved smiley.
yeah yeah you're right there though
Re: Office Romance by dre11(m): 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2014
Office romance is a no and no

Why robe urself down when u have a world to fish outside

1 Like

Re: Office Romance by marieolae(f): 10:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
dre11:
Office romance is a no and no

Why robe urself down when u have a world to fish outside
exactly
Re: Office Romance by dre11(m): 10:53pm On Oct 27, 2014
marieolae:
exactly

Like u did said in ur listed point.. ....

It's true

That why most companies policies don't allow for married people to be under desame office... .

So if dey don't allow that
How will they react when they found out ure dating ur self

#this is different from a one night standcheesy
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 2:44am On Oct 28, 2014
donclichy:
Office romance make sense die grin

imagine Kim K. Look alike Walking into my office as a fresher mehn i cant imagine the volume of work i will do that week.

Infact guys are more effective in the presence of attractive females.

Our mood changes spontaneously, our moral hightens; talking, smiling, walking and running becomes easy all in the presence of an atractive female wait till she smiles at you gangan the kind euphoria the thing dey produce makes one blive in heaven.

AM IN LOVE WITH ATTRACTIVE GIRLS

What you said is VERY true...remember back in medical school days where I will always look for a cute lady to sit beside b4 reading...d lady go dey happy sey I go chat am

up...for where?...I go just dey bulldozer my book dey go...she go con vex dey think sey I wan use book impress her, but me no even send her...I go just continue dey use her

dey jack dey go...it really helped my grades den sha
Re: Office Romance by Nobody: 2:46am On Oct 28, 2014
marieolae:

i know i gat brilliant shenkes kiss

i spoilt 2phones in 3weeks

(1) (Reply)

I Have A Blind Date Today I'm Scared / The Good,the Bad And The Ugly Of Dating Smallies! / What Will Happen Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.