Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,824 members, 7,956,114 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:49 AM

Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father (3297 Views)

55 Persons Stole N1.34tr In Eight Years – FG / Lagos Assembly Reverses Pedro's Impeachment After Eight Years / Nigeria, Poorly Managed For Eight Years – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Ide4u(m): 6:04am On Oct 23, 2014
http://www.punchng.com/news/why-i-abandoned-my-kids-for-eight-years-father/

Mr Segun Adepegba, the father of the three children abandoned in a boarding school for eight years in Abule-Iroko in Ado-Odo Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State, Mr Segun Adepegba, on Wednesday, reached out to PUNCH Metro.

Adepegba said hardship pushed him to the wall and that was why he could not take care of his children. He, however, promised to visit them before the end of the week.

The father of three, in a telephone interview with PUNCH Metro, recounted his ordeal, saying, “life has been very tough for me.” He said he left the children because he was jobless and had no house to accommodate them.

PUNCH Metro had on Tuesday reported that Adepegba’s children-Seun, 14, Titilola 13, and Seyi, 10, had been abandoned since 2007 at Solid Rock Model College in Abule-Iroko. The children, who had been eager to meet their parents, said the absence of their parents was affecting their studies.

For many years, the school authorities had been trying to reach Adepegba to no avail. The proprietor of the school, Mr Samuel Ayegbusi, had told our correspondent that any time he called Adepegba and he realised it was him, he would switch off his phones.

Adepegba, however, bowed to pressure on Tuesday after reading the report by PUNCH Metro. He told our correspondent that abandoning his children was inevitable, promising that he would visit the school.

While narrating his ordeal to our correspondent, he said, “In 2007, my wife and I had a misunderstanding and she told me she was leaving me. I was frustrated and the children were little. Seyi, the youngest was just two years while Titilola was just five.

“There was no way I could give them motherly care. I had no job. As a man, I needed someone to help me take care of them and that was why my sister suggested that we enrol them in a boarding school.”

Adepegba told PUNCH Metro that when the children’s bills kept accumulating and he had no means of paying, he was afraid that if he came to the school, the proprietor would get him arrested.

He said, “I feared that if I suddenly appeared at the school, the proprietor would get the police to arrest me. I really appreciate the proprietor of Solid Rock Model College, for coming to my rescue and accepting the responsibility to help me take care of my children. The truth is this: I was pushed to the wall. I didn’t want my children to be beggars on the street.

“All these years, I have been jobless. I had no house to live in. I was putting up with someone. I just rented a one-room apartment and just got a job. I am not a wicked father. I really miss them but I am gradually overcoming the challenges I have been facing. I did not abandon them in that sense. I can assure you that before the week runs out, I will visit them.”

Asked whether his wife had called him about how the children were doing, Adepegba said since she left him in 2007, he had not heard from her.

“The last time we saw each other was probably in 2007 when she left me. I have been trying to reach her but my search has not been fruitful. I heard that she is somewhere in the northern part of the country,” he said.

However, the school proprietor told PUNCH Metro that the school authorities had no intention of getting Adepegba arrested for his debt .He said he reported the matter to the Ogun State Police Command because he was fed up.

He said, “I have nothing against Mr Adepegba and I understand his plight. My grievance was that he kept on rejecting my calls and abandoned his children. How could he as a father leave his children for this long? It is not a good thing.”

Our correspondent learnt that the news of their father’s return had lifted the heart of the children. The children were all smiles when they were told that their father had promised to return before the end of the week.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro on the telephone on Wednesday, Seun, the eldest of the trio said, “I am very happy that daddy has promised to come back. It means I would not have to spend my holidays in the school again.”

Titilola added, “I hope this is not another promise that will fail. I am really looking forward to seeing him because it will make me very happy.”
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 23, 2014
Hardship ? I thought he was heartless I just realize he's afraid of his responsibilities , Sir please next time go for kids according to ur income. "Nigeria shaa"

2 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by freshness2020: 6:07am On Oct 23, 2014
So τ̲̅ђe man still D̶̲̅ε̲̣y exist...
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Tomwizzy(m): 6:07am On Oct 23, 2014
He have shown up
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Ide4u(m): 6:11am On Oct 23, 2014
To me, this man hasn't done what is right.

How could He have loved his Kids and yet left them for Eight years?

I really don't know......

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by 2cato: 6:12am On Oct 23, 2014
Na wa Yoruba women sha. To them for better for stay for worse for running away to another man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by fijiano202(m): 6:16am On Oct 23, 2014
This man needs to be shot,why give birth to them if u are not ready to take care of them....i would rather sell my kidney or be used as lab-rat than to see my kids suffer
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Tomwizzy(m): 6:17am On Oct 23, 2014
He has finally shown up
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 23, 2014
Ide4u:
To me, this man hasn't done what is right.

How could He have loved his Kids and yet left them for Eight years?

I really don't know......
please stop blaming the man. The heartless mother who first abandoned the man and her kids to run to another man because her huband is jobless should be blamed. How can a woman be so heartless not to ask after her kids for the past 7years? The man was wise enough to have enrolled them in school even though he messed up too for abandoning them for that long. Infact,both parents and their relations are very heartless for not asking after the kids. Some people get mind sha.

God bless the proprietress and the school for taking care of the kids.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Elcapo(m): 6:30am On Oct 23, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Vstuffs(m): 6:50am On Oct 23, 2014
Lo
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by pickabeau1: 6:58am On Oct 23, 2014
So what of the money his sister based abroad sends for the kids..

Lets see if he will come as he said

The sister should send the money to the school directly

But.........People can lie ooooo
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by ChiSun27(m): 6:58am On Oct 23, 2014
SMH at Yoruba people's mentality.

God bless the school.
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by armadeo(m): 7:03am On Oct 23, 2014
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Etumgbe(m): 7:04am On Oct 23, 2014
Space booked incase mods do d needful
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 23, 2014
The guy said "hez scared of being arrested" so he cares more about himself than his kids? That's selfish. That's what happens when people who are managing the little they have be giving birth to kids anyhow like say 2moro no dey without thinkn of the future.

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Ayomi088(m): 7:12am On Oct 23, 2014
Hmmmm (Big Sigh). May God help us all
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by JustCurious: 7:16am On Oct 23, 2014
Good to know that their father is still alive: hope rekindled for those children.

Let's await their mama's response to the story, too after 7Years....(Sighs) It's unimaginable what those three children must have gone through -the trauma.

Thanks to PUNCH Metro for doing the needful.

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Valfrankie(m): 7:21am On Oct 23, 2014
Power of the MEDIA!!! I LOVE MY FIELD mehn.... Long live the fourth estate!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by gunuvi(m): 7:29am On Oct 23, 2014
the man bleeped up but Nigeria has a greater blame
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by sademola: 7:30am On Oct 23, 2014
ChiSun27:
SMH at Yoruba people's mentality.

God bless the school.

What has tribe got to do with this, dumb head?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by sademola: 7:35am On Oct 23, 2014
2cato:
Na wa Yoruba women sha. To them for better for stay for worse for running away to another man.

You guys can't comment without tribal/religious colorations!
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by 2cato: 7:42am On Oct 23, 2014
sademola:

You guys can't comment without tribal/religious colorations!
to prove to you that i dont hate Yoruba people i will like to ask for ur hand in marriage.
Please kindly accept
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 23, 2014
Lacomus:
Hardship ? I thought he was heartless I just realize he's afraid of his responsibilities , Sir please next time go for kids according to ur income. "Nigeria shaa"
My man having a maximum no. of 3 kids is not really BAD..
EXCEPT he has more within...
EVEN KE-KE RIDERS can carter for more than 3 kids since they make up to at least 18k/per week ....
Most times MEN of such nature are BED-RIDDEN by ALCOHOL and WOMEN.
WHEN u possess these 2 GIFTS , hardly can u leap to the next level of life...
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by kokoA(m): 8:01am On Oct 23, 2014
That murrafuka is on drugs no doubt. He should give accont of the money sisters abroad send to him for the children's upkeep. Nonsense! Naija hard but I don't believe a well spoken man like that could not have gotten something, no matter how little to do for 8years! Haba! Na cocaine dey run dat body. Those kids are not safe with him at all, government should adopt them.
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 23, 2014
kayciano:

My man having a maximum no. of 3 kids is not really BAD..
EXCEPT he has more within...
EVEN KE-KE RIDERS can carter for more than 3 kids since they make up to at least 18k/per week ....
Most times MEN of such nature are BED-RIDDEN by ALCOHOL and WOMEN.
WHEN u possess this 2 gifts, hardly can u leap to the next level of life...
LoL gift indeed

1 Like

Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 23, 2014
It is not compulsory to have kids. It is not even necessary. The planet is already over-populated, its best for certain people to just stop raising babies, you can get married but dont raise kids if you cant afford to. Please.
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by JEITO: 8:23am On Oct 23, 2014
Shame! He should go and watch "my dad, my supermom" tv series and see what Nigerian dads went through raising their kids all alone.

If you cannot make sacrifices for your kids, I wonder....angry
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 23, 2014
berem:
please stop blaming the man. The heartless mother who first abandoned the man and her kids to run to another man because her huband is jobless should be blamed. How can a woman be so heartless not to ask after her kids for the past 7years? The man was wise enough to have enrolled them in school even though he messed up too for abandoning them for that long. Infact,both parents and their relations are very heartless for not asking after the kids. Some people get mind sha.

God bless the proprietress and the school for taking care of the kids.

Nwanne, God bless you too much. You spoke my mind here completely.
You should leave politics section ooo, lolzzzz,
This is one of the reasons I fell in love with you.

BTW where is TEHN when you need them please, I wanna donate a token to those kids
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by ElFenomeno1: 8:26am On Oct 23, 2014
No excuse is acceptable.... You are a disgrace to fatherhood and the human race entirely!
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by redsun(m): 8:28am On Oct 23, 2014
The school deserves some kind of national award on the ground that they weren't using the children for slave labour.

Some adults in Nigeria are like sharks that leaves their offsprings to fend for themselves on the first day of birth.
Re: Why I Abandoned My Kids For Eight Years – Father by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 23, 2014
Gabbysky:

Nwanne, God bless you too much. You spoke my mind here completely.
You should leave politics section ooo, lolzzzz,

This is one of the reasons I fell in love with you.

BTW where is TEHN when you need them please, I wanna donate a token to those kids
why should I? Your reasons please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

EXPOSED!! Full Checklist Of Boko Haram Sponsors In Nigeria-"asari Dokubo Listed" / Existing Revenue Sharing Formula Archaic – Senate / Aba-port Harcourt Road In Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.