Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,365 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? (47757 Views)

Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by firstolalekan(m): 4:20pm On Oct 24, 2014
austinbrown:
who invited this animal here
Na your stupîd drunkard father na.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:

You haven't answer any of my question yet..just one Q ,can those ministries function without a junior minister? If yes ,then you have nothing to argue aboout .since you know how ministries work,who created ministry of trade an investment ,who created ministry of cooperation and integration in Africa,were they in existence before ?you are too Ignorant to know that they can be created an discarded wit a Snapp of the finger?kpele!
Those ministeries might not function effectively and efficiently without a minister of state because the substantive Minister of the federation may have too much in his hands to be dealing with .....

It is not as if Minister of state is a big deal , the Federal Government just take away, some certain duties that are strictly domestic affairs, from the table of the substantial Minister and give such duties to the Minister of state to be adjudicating ..... which I don't see as big deal due to the diverseness in the political and economic atmosphere of Nigeria

As for who created which ministry , you are just an average Nigerian who loves street roundabout newspaper vendor-likened condemnation , local street champion and nonsensical arguement !

Is Ministry of Trade and investment not important , do you know how many FDIs that have entered into Nigeria from the activities of ministry of trade and investment ?

You don't know the meaning of division of labour, devolution of authority and departmentalisation and how such concepts bring about efficiency and effectiveness in administration .....People like you are autocratic in nature and won't excel well in leadership position because you would wanto fuse everything in your hands ..... By the time you reach the ministries and ask questions , you may be tutored on ''the necessity for Minister of State'' .........

Despite the tutorial every one posted here , you still argueing blindly, you must be a type of person that would fail in job interview but only to blame GEJ for not providing Job grin
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by babaireti(m): 4:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
brainpower:
The OP asked a simple question which a lot of people have been asking innocently, but I can see a lot of people politicizing it. Even if OBJ did it to share the money then it might be because a lot of People from different states were asking for it. It is the job of the national assembly to consider it and scrap it if there is no use for it. So if there are any grievances then it should be addressed to the national assembly but of course a lot of you here don't even know who your councillors are not to talk of knowing where your constituency office is. Don't worry very soon nairaland will have constituency offices as usual where you can rant and speak English and think it matters in the real world of politics. And those that are trying to bring GEJ in this should know that OBJ started it and this same OBJ is playing with our supposed saviors that want to bring change.
Pls wht is dis one saying now? may be you are happy they are wasting our public monies and you are unhappy sensible people are complaining here
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by bishopclin(m): 5:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
Most persons comment in ignorance. Section 147(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999(as amended) is very apt on this issue of discuss. "(3)Any appointment under subsection(2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section14(3) of this Constitution: Provided that in giving effect to the provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each state, who shall be an indigene of such state". Every Minister, whether substantive or Minister of State has his/her schedule/briefs. These schedules are so clearly defined that nobody really encroaches on another. Hitherto, some persons referred to a Minister of state as 'junior Minister'. Meanwhile, this junior Minister is representing a state, hence it's derogatory to refer to a Minister of State as being junior to the substantive Minister. It's in view of this the roles of the respective Ministers were clearly defined. Some mischief-makers here would agree with me that Mr. President, GEJ recently re-assigned duties of even the junior Ministers to other ministers who did not resign their offices, pending the reappointment of new Ministers to take up such duties
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
0merta:
The creation of the posts of a "minister" and a "minister of state" is to afford representations of all the 36 states of the federation and the FCT in the federal cabinet. This wouldn't be possible if the minister of state position is non-existent as the number of ministries is not up to 36.

But I think the representative capacity should have been based on Geo-political zones and not on the number of states to eliminate duplicity of functions.

And for those saying the Minister of state is like a deputy Governor, I think you're all wrong. The Minister of state is independent of the "real" Minister with respect to portfolio assignments. The Minister of state functions as an intermediary between the federal government and the respective state ministries. For example, if the commissioner of education in Osun state wants to liaise with the Federal ministry of education in Abuja, he does that via the minister of state for education.

Conclusively, I think the position of the "Minister of state" was intrinsically created to make the "chopping of money" go round!

Awon Ole jati jati!

Gbogbo waa ni ole sha.

grin grin

its not only to afford representation to all states and the FCT ,its actually a constitutional requirement that must be met. That why every state must be represented in the cabinet
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by BabaO2: 6:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
Minister is minister.
Minister of state is no minister, no budget, nothing but an errand boy or girl to substantial minister.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 6:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:
Those ministeries might not function effectively and efficiently without a minister of state because the substantive Minister of the federation may have too much in his hands to be dealing with .....

It is not as if Minister of state is a big deal , the Federal Government just take away, some certain duties that are strictly domestic affairs, from the table of the substantial Minister and give such duties to the Minister of state to be adjudicating ..... which I don't see as big deal due to the diverseness in the political and economic atmosphere of Nigeria

As for who created which ministry , you are just an average Nigerian who loves street roundabout newspaper vendor-likened condemnation , local street champion and nonsensical arguement !

Is Ministry of Trade and investment not important , do you know how many FDIs that have entered into Nigeria from the activities of ministry of trade and investment ?

You don't know the meaning of division of labour, devolution of authority and departmentalisation and how such concepts bring about efficiency and effectiveness in administration .....People like you are autocratic in nature and won't excel well in leadership position because you would wanto fuse everything in your hands ..... By the time you reach the ministries and ask questions , you may be tutored on ''the necessity for Minister of State'' .........

Despite the tutorial every one posted here , you still argueing blindly, you must be a type of person that would fail in job interview but only to blame GEJ for not providing Job grin
If you can't make a cogent argument without resorting to insult,then it shows how uncivilised u r..I don't dabble into frivorities that are tantamount to witch-hunt,so,I wuld rather not reply your insults.bye
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 7:21pm On Oct 24, 2014
emmykk:
if the railways are openned nigeria agricultural produces gets to the world,if there is consant electricity there will be low cost of manufacturing goods here which leads to jobs creation plus other mutiplier effects.

Let the palm oil refinery,surgar refinery and petroleum refinery to start working and build more.

You cannot cut cost in administration while you are making big failure elsewhere.i dont agree that minister of state creation is redundant. Which the question by op is boiling to.

For the national assembly members,again is not by reducing the numbers because they are representative of the people,but rather just like the just concluded national conference,outcome from such conference can help to stipulate their pay.

That is a big "IF"..are those tins working?
Did you see were I stated that the "cost of governance is far more than the impact of governance"?..wuld have loved to give you a little preview of wt goes on in political settlement,but for security reasons(a relation of mine is a political appointee)
On the issue of national assembly,those guys are a huge burden on our limited resources...quote me,the national conference recommendations wil not be ratified by the national assembly(especially the one that relates to their pay)the only way out is a referendum,if not,its "dead on arrival"
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by yashau(m): 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
0merta:
The creation of the posts of a "minister" and a "minister of state" is to afford representations of all the 36 states of the federation and the FCT in the federal cabinet. This wouldn't be possible if the minister of state position is non-existent as the number of ministries is not up to 36.

But I think the representative capacity should have been based on Geo-political zones and not on the number of states to eliminate duplicity of functions.

And for those saying the Minister of state is like a deputy Governor, I think you're all wrong. The Minister of state is independent of the "real" Minister with respect to portfolio assignments. The Minister of state functions as an intermediary between the federal government and the respective state ministries. For example, if the commissioner of education in Osun state wants to liaise with the Federal ministry of education in Abuja, he does that via the minister of state for education.

Conclusively, I think the position of the "Minister of state" was intrinsically created to make the "chopping of money" go round!

Awon Ole jati jati!

Gbogbo waa ni ole sha.

grin grin

gbam!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by BotherMleeper(m): 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2014
0merta:

Awon Ole jati jati!

Gbogbo waa ni ole sha.

grin grin

So if the commissioner of foreign affairs in lagos wants to liaise with FG, he goes through the minister of state for foreign affairs? So also, say, the commissioner of defense of gombe state should talk the minjster of state for defense?

I don't think you're right.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by emmykk(m): 7:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:

Did you see were I stated that the "cost of governance is far more than the impact of governance"?..wuld have loved to give you a little preview of wt goes on in political settlement,but for security reasons(a relation of mine is a political appointee)
On the issue of national assembly,those guys are a huge burden on our limited resources...quote me,the national conference recommendations wil not be ratified by the national assembly(especially the one that relates to their pay)the only way out is a referendum,if not,its "dead on arrival"
is ok i pray our votes find us a set of selfless leaders that will make things better myfriend.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by redgem(f): 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:

Stop sharing post with me
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by bigiyaro(m): 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
One is a "minister" d oda is a "minister of state" d difference is "of state" comprehende amigo.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Seniorlecturer(m): 8:04pm On Oct 24, 2014
The first works wit federal govt nd d later in state parastatal
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2014
wether any brigand lyks it or not buhari must be in
power 2015, cus dats wat the pple wants...a very
great number of nigerians in multitudes, n dey want
it by fire by force..criminals of d pdp govmt hv to
put up wit dat.... a lot of criminal politicians hv to
go down..n dey hav 2 go down fast...dey hav 2
vomit 4rm dier nostrils all d wealth of dis nation
dey hav gulped.. nigeria needs total sanitization, to
promote along side wif it drastic development wit
all impunity, n buhari can ensure dat.. front n
back....i hv studied his records n person. n hv seen
he has no other option as its d only way to prove
his enemies wrong....all u agents should
wait....even d gate of hell shall not contain d
pressure coming...nigeria must change for d better,
n d better for d greater population of its
citizenry,...change must come, change is here, n
change is gonna be.... lets watch..in 4d...
i am from d east... but i wld support dat man,
hands n legs,...despite all d criminal lies dey hv
cooked up against him....let God bless him, he now
chooses rochas as his runnin mate ....walahi..it is
finished...case dismiss...no rival...extreme victory...
pple who believe does negative trash abt him ar
ignorant pple who neva knew, dont know, or wld
neva seek to know history, study it , n find out why
dis criminals ar against him....
secret......THEY ARE AFRAID OF THEIR DOWN FALL
N D GROWTH OF DIS COUNTRY....BUHARI IS
THEIR NEMESIS...N D COUNTRIES CHANGE.....
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by austinbrown: 8:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
firstolalekan:

Na your stupîd drunkard father na.
goat
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:

If you can't make a cogent argument without resorting to insult,then it shows how uncivilised u r..I don't dabble into frivorities that are tantamount to witch-hunt,so,I wuld rather not reply your insults.bye
na you first throw the insult on me now the lesson you should learn is that don't start what you can't finish ..... I argue the way you argue me !!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Octaves(m): 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
I'm actually shocked at this blatant duplication of function. I thought they were two terms refering to one thing. Nigerian government is too wasteful.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fineworker24(m): 9:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pennywise:

Sometimes we try too hard to find solutions to problems that do not exist or we go rigmaroling/sommersaulting looking for answers that stare at us in the face.

Minister of state is a creation of the Obj Goverment to deputize for a substantive minister. The real essence is for political jobs to go round. It was an expedient decision of Obj to spread the goodies among supporters and loyalists not minding that state resources can ill-afford it. If GEJ had any leadership spirit in him, he would have since abolished that position. I suppose we all have to wait for Buhari.
Buhari will follow the footsteps of his predecessors because he was sorrsurrounded by vultures like Tinubu.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by bolaji777: 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2014
It jst d creation of job sha

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 9:53pm On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:
na you first throw the insult on me now the lesson you should learn is that don't start what you can't finish ..... I argue the way you argue me !!
Can you re-quote whre I insulted you?
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 9:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
redgem:

Stop sharing post with me
Don't even know wat you talkin about,if there is anything like that,I got no clue,may be you can direct your complain to the MOD.don't vent on me ,I beg u.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Revolva(m): 11:23pm On Oct 24, 2014
the difference is that they are both minister of egunje
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Emmyboscojnr: 12:21am On Oct 25, 2014
Just Observing..
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 12:41am On Oct 25, 2014
Minister of state is like commissioner for d FCT, since its not a state d commiSsioners there are referred 2 as minister of state, while d Minister remains d substantive head of d ministry deputies by Directors! Learning is a continues process, if u know know keep quite n don't confuse others with ur busy body!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by snakova(m): 1:04am On Oct 25, 2014
agabusta:

I am a supporter of APC and Buhari, but sir I would appreciate if you can tone down your abuses on the president. You can criticise him as you deem fit and show the rot in his govt, but try not to resort to abuses.

Tnx
seconded
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by adealabiss(m): 3:58am On Oct 25, 2014
pls wen u know it flash me
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Demdem(m): 5:27am On Oct 25, 2014
austinbrown:
my papa bi animal

Wellsaid.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Pennywise(m): 8:35am On Oct 25, 2014
fineworker24:

Buhari will follow the footsteps of his predecessors because he was sorrsurrounded by vultures like Tinubu.
But we don't know that. Buhari has been associated with all kinds of things but never incompetence.

Executive incompetence is behind the monumental corruption killing Nigeria. It is behind the mass desertion of Nigerian soldiers and loss of territory to untrained child soldiers called boko haram.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by holums(m): 11:18am On Oct 25, 2014
The Minister will report directly to the President while the minister of state that oversees the ministries in every states will give report to the Minister directly!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Livinusc(m): 12:18pm On Oct 25, 2014
Just as one of my frnd commented,the minister is d Oga while d minister of state is d deputy.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Bunchersstab(m): 12:54pm On Oct 25, 2014
agabusta:

I am a supporter of APC and Buhari, but sir I would appreciate if you can tone down your abuses on the president. You can criticise him as you deem fit and show the rot in his govt, but try not to resort to abuses.
Tnx
I wish other followers of APC/BUHARI could be this reasonable & stop being myopic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

INEC Server Shows Buhari Lost 2019 Election - Atiku, PDP Claim / Ize-Iyamu’s Family Backs Obaseki’s Re-election / President Goodluck Jonathan Reshuffles Cabinet (Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.