Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? (47713 Views)

Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by AdeniyiA(m): 2:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
only in Nigeria i see a Polithiefian having an adviser, personal adviser, special adviser. senior special adviser on in different capacities nd issues shocked
yet they're never advised as they continue with their woeful performance ,one wonder the kind of advice they give undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by macphilip: 2:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
Job for the boys
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by deletrue: 2:25pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pennywise:

Sometimes we try too hard to find solutions to problems that do not exist or we go rigmaroling/sommersaulting looking for answers that stare at us in the face.

Minister of state is a creation of the Obj Goverment to deputize for a substantive minister. The real essence is for political jobs to go round. It was an expedient decision of Obj to spread the goodies among supporters and loyalists not minding that state resources can ill-afford it. If GEJ had any leadership spirit in him, he would have since abolished that position. I suppose we all have to wait for Buhari.
Jona should have even created more. Is jona not having enough problems caused by his enemies? Killing, burning, lie telling etc and you want him to create more problem by removing what he met, in which case, more enemies will be created so that the man, Jona will suffer abi. At the end you people will clap and jubilate abi. No way

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by IYANGBALI: 2:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
The two of them are thieves,the minister goes inside the ministry to steal while the minister of state stands by the gate of the ministry to watchout for intruders from outside

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
President has vice. Governors have deputies. Chairmen have vice. Ministers have "of state"
Soon, we'll see commissioner of local for....., senator of constituency, house of rep member for local, house of assembly member for ward, councillor for polling unit.... We wanted democracy, now we have demdonncrazesince. SMH
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
AdeniyiA:
only in Nigeria i see a Polithiefian having an adviser, personal adviser, special adviser. senior special adviser on in different capacities nd issues shocked
yet they're never advised as they continue with their woeful performance ,one wonder the kind of advice they give undecided
That's even better, I met a guy who is the PA to the SA to the SSA to the CSA to the President. When I say he's a big boy, I mean a BIGG BOY!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
The Minister of State position was created in order to fulfill the constitutional requirement of having, at least, one minister per state.

I believe that constitutional provision should be repealed because every state has guaranteed representation in the NASS; therefore, the issue of marginalization shouldn't arise.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by paix(m): 2:41pm On Oct 24, 2014
stalyf:

Very correct, you pass through school.
Or school passed through him.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Rexyl(m): 2:41pm On Oct 24, 2014
Smartsyn:
Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone on the know put me(us) through on the difference between a Minister and a Minister of State in the Ministry.

We usually see somethings like The Minister for Education and then The Minister of State for Education and it is so in all ministries..

So please what is their different job description and all that.....

I think it is just to extend sense of belonging and adaquate participation of various tribes in the government at the national level. Also I think both are equally remunerated.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Rexyl(m): 2:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
CFCfan:
The Minister of State position was created in order to fulfill the constitutional requirement of having, at least, one minister per state.

I believe that constitutional provision should be repealed because every state has guaranteed representation in the NASS; therefore, the issue of marginalization shouldn't arise.

You said so but Nigerians would never accept that, in a country where certain tribes believe they are superior to others. I think the arrangement is just to carry all parts and tribes along
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by lonelydora: 2:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
Reminds me of Alamesiya (former governor of Bayelsa) who created "Special adviser on Special advice".

They need to settle campaign donors.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by gentle87(m): 2:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
Just one of the very unnecessary offices that makes Nigerian government expensive!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
firstolalekan:

Ignorance at its peak.
Why must we have 36 ministers because we have 36 States?
It's a constitutional provision.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by segend(m): 3:07pm On Oct 24, 2014
firstolalekan:

Ignorance at its peak.
Why must we have 36 ministers because we have 36 States?

I think you are the ignorant one here, why not check wikipedia and google. There are 19 miniseries, and each state must have a representative, to make sure it goes round all states, that's why there are minister of states.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by jaybee17(m): 3:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
If u say minister of state is a deputy..what about foreign affairs that have minister of state foreign affairs 1 and then 2...
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Tamunofiri(m): 3:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
The former minister for state for education made me start to wonder if there was any difference. In that ministry, I think the minister of education was in charge of the administrative functions and the minister of state was doing all the media briefings. Federal character is the basis for creating the 'minister of state' position there is really no need for it, we make decisions based on sentiments rather than common sense. In my opinion there is too much money and no proper accountability so the government can replicate as many positions for compensating politicians and go unquestioned.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by royalblood21: 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
Adventurist:
Question for the gods

Fool!!! If u don't knw what to say u keep dat ur dirty mouth sealed!!! Ode, , sometimes U learn from irrelevances...
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 24, 2014
jaybee17:
If u say minister of state is a deputy..what about foreign affairs that have minister of state foreign affairs 1 and then 2...
They're both deputies to the minister. But I think it's totally wasteful.

Anyway, a constitutional amendment limiting the number of ministers to 4/5 per zone should be considered. It will reduce the recurrent expenditure of the FG.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by gentle007(m): 3:21pm On Oct 24, 2014
In as much as we believe that the office of the Minister of State is an avenue for money sharing or whatever, there is a genuine motive so to say, for its creation. And that is the information I expected us to share instead of telling us that the office is for sharing of money and all what not.
If for example you went for an interview and you were asked the functions of the minister of state, is that what you will answer?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by omoiseselagba: 3:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
Smartsyn:
Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone on the know put me(us) through on the difference between a Minister and a Minister of State in the Ministry.

We usually see somethings like The Minister for Education and then The Minister of State for Education and it is so in all ministries..

NA POLITICS OF CHOP I CHOP.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by LSA: 3:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
Minister is for federal while minister of state oversees FCT activities in the respective ministry. So minister of state is equivalent to a commissioner.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by dannielight(m): 3:29pm On Oct 24, 2014
Obviously, the minister is the lead executioner and minister of state acts as his subordinate.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by M4gunners: 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2014
brownlord:
Party faithful need to be rewarded
Ok now i know why some APC follower wants to kill their selfs for Buhari.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by rocgirl: 3:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
cenaboy:
Dear friends there are differences, because in any Ministery where there are junior ministers(minister of state) are where big spectrum or much resposibilities are and not in all sectors eg Power, Defence, Education encompases much and as such demand a vice or deputy for efficiency
If the first and last bolded sentences are your 'reasons' for proposing why we need a minister of state; I'm sorry, they lack concrete logical reasoning.
From a productive point of view, as you've noted, some ministries are weighed down with more responsibilities, which is mostly due to absence of required workforce, how in the world would employing a minister of state bridge that productivity gap?
Federal ministries with lots of responsibilities that are inadequately staffed needs extra capable hands and not a duplicate minister to function effectively and efficiently.
Regards.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by emmykk(m): 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:

The problem is not wat we spend on ,u know the real problem is wat you just said,let's assume they don't have problems squandering our commonwealth;but to see that you are turning a blind eye to it,is greater crime against humanity...for a country that spends greater part iof its budget on reccurent expenditure...which is mostly salaries and jumbo pay...the national assembly budget is more than the budget of about 21 states of the federation,you don't see anything untoward about it..yawa don gass be that..
if the railways are openned nigeria agricultural produces gets to the world,if there is consant electricity there will be low cost of manufacturing goods here which leads to jobs creation plus other mutiplier effects.

Let the palm oil refinery,surgar refinery and petroleum refinery to start working and build more.

You cannot cut cost in administration while you are making big failure elsewhere.i dont agree that minister of state creation is redundant. Which the question by op is boiling to.

For the national assembly members,again is not by reducing the numbers because they are representative of the people,but rather just like the just concluded national conference,outcome from such conference can help to stipulate their pay.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 4:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:
The only dichotomy I experienced is :

The minister is the substantive CEO of a ministry who interract with both foreign governments on Nigeria and domestic affairs while in order to ease off the duty of the Minister, we have minister of state whose duty is predominantly on domestic affairs and rallying round states on Federal Government policy and frameworks to ensure uniformity as far as such ministry is assigned and I think He should report to the substantive minister and/or Presidency !!!

You are correct my brother,other ojoro heads here that brags about attending university could not explain it better. Garri heads.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by bollify(m): 4:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
Smartsyn:

OP, in Nigeria the minister of state is the principal junior( more like a deputy) to the minister. Their functions differs in different countries.

More information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_State
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by austinbrown: 4:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
firstolalekan:

You're also a f00l. Is JonadÄft his father?
who invited this animal here
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by austinbrown: 4:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
Demdem:

Ur mama right?
animal
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 24, 2014
NgwaManNaija4LF:

You are correct my brother,other ojoro heads here that brags about attending university could not explain it better. Garri heads.
Nwoke Oma ... Dalu !!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Obanga(m): 4:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
The fact remains that in as much as outrageous financial attachment is packaged for this positions,the multiethnic highly populated Nigeria in attempt to tame uprisings emanating from marginalized citizens,will continue expanding its agencies and create rooms for unrepentant looters.we hope to get it right some day,somehow
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by 99100(m): 4:16pm On Oct 24, 2014
One of those reasons why GEJ called for a national conference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Sings, Dances & Mocks His Haters After ABU VC Confirmed He Graduated / Buhari's Children, Yusuf, Halima, Zahra & Hubby At Amosun's Daughter's Wedding / Peace Accord: Caption This Buhari And Atiku Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.