Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,001 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Gender Stereotypes Part I - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gender Stereotypes Part I (11258 Views)

How To Build Stronger And Healthier Friendship – Part I / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Gender Stereotypes Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

Hopefully it is not necessarily as you claim but as things are.
I never claimed that the second part of the post was based on the research hence my use of the word assertion.
You claim that the text supported women as better emotional managers which is in fact untrue.
The tests were to prove what sex would yield to various aspects of emotions the most not which sex would perform better at managing emotion.

What?

Didn't you quote this part of the test yourself?

Nonso23:

''when we tested whether gender differences in EI would increase after controlling for age (objective 2), we found that in fact all significant differences for MSCEIT scores dissappeared when age was controlled for, except THE BRANCH OF EMOTIONAL MANAGING''

Now you're saying they didn't test what you quoted that they tested?

The goal of the study was to test the difference in emotional intelligence between the males and females. They did this using the MSCEIT assessment tool. There are several broad components/branches of the MSCEIT including 'emotional managing'.

So now, because you have seen the true meaning of the study, you want to exclude the parts that are not favorable to you and twist the intention of the study. Parts by the way which you yourself had previously quoted and used wrongly to try to prove your point.

Nonso23:

It said significant differences at emotional managing not the better manager of emotion. Totally out of context.
Now you understand why I said that emotional management differs from effective emotional management.

Your second statement is completely made up out of thin air.

Emotional managing as applicable to the MSCEIT is exactly what I defined. You are the one making up random definitions that have nothing to do with the specifics of the study.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

This is the original text
''when we tested whether gender differences in EI
would increase after controlling for age (objective
2), we found that in fact all significant differences
for MSCEIT scores dissappeared when age was
controlled for, except THE BRANCH OF
EMOTIONAL MANAGING''

Pray tell how does that state that women are effective emotional managers?
Who is twisting words now?

A test measures responses to emotional stimulation and you suddenly turn it to mean it measures effective emotional mangement in both genders.
The difference in response to stimulation suddenly becomes the fact that women are better emotion managers.

That portion simply means what it means. Men are less likely to give in to the emotional managing aspect of 'Emotions' as a whole not that they handle it worse. That clearly was the aim of the test.

There's no need for long story. Here you go. Here are excerpts followed by a link describing the MSCEIT test in great detail and the meaning of each aspect of it.

MSCEIT Scores
The MSCEIT yields a total emotional intelligence score as well as two area scores (Experiential and Strategic Emotional Intelligence). There are also four Branch scores: Perceiving Emotion, Facilitating Thought, Understanding Emotion, and Managing Emotion. Finally, scores for eight individual Tasks are reported.

Managing Emotions
The Managing Emotions score concerns one’s capacity to manage emotions successfully, when appropriate. Managing emotions means that you remain open to emotional information at important times, and closed to it at other times. It means successfully managing and coping with emotions. It also means working with feelings in a judicious way, rather than acting on them without thinking. For example, reacting out of anger can be effective in the short-run, but anger that is channeled and directed may be more effective in the long run.
It is important to understand that the ability to successfully manage emotions often entails the awareness, acceptance, and use of emotions in problem solving. When we speak of emotional regulation, some people understand the term to mean the suppression or rationalization of emotion. Managing Emotions involves the participation of emotions in thought and the ability to allow thought to include emotions. Optimal levels of emotional regulation likely will neither minimize nor exaggerate emotion.

http://www.harrisconsult.com/files/MSCEIT%20report.PDF

The study you quoted said women were better in the branch of managing emotions after controlling for age. That branch is described above.

You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

That portion simply means what it means. Men are less likely to give in to the emotional managing aspect of 'Emotions' as a whole not that they handle it worse. That clearly was the aim of the test.

100% false.

Both men and women were subjected to the exact same conditions. Both men and women were given the same test to score how they would 'manage emotions'. Women scored better in that aspect. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 01, 2014
carefreewannabe:

It would have been nice, if you had referred to a particular point or at least a particular paragraph in the journal to give the discussion a direction.

Anyway.

I have read the introduction and I will quote it in order not to exceed the tolerable capacity of a post and possible discussions to follow on NL.

"The author examines British and American scientific psychology’s portrayal of natural and ideal masculinity and femininity in the late 19th century to show how purported differences in emotion and reason were critical to explaining the evolu- tionary foundation of existing social hierarchies. Strong emotion was identified with heterosexual manliness and men’s purportedly better capacity to harness the power of emotion in the service of reason. “Feminine” emotion was portrayed as a comparatively ineffectual emotionality, a by-product of female reproductive phys- iology and evolutionary need to be attractive to men. The author argues that constructions of emotion by psychology served an important power maintenance function. A concluding section addresses the relevance of this history to the politics of emotion in everyday life, especially assertions of emotional legitimacy."

The basis of this article are studies conducted in the 19th century and many of them have been long proven to be wrong. It makes more sense to concentrate on recent research that is not only up to date but also advanced with regard to scientific methods.

By the way, the introduction informs that the author of this same journal of this article disagrees with the portrayal of gender differences in the 19th century by saying that (bold) the perception of gender differences was constructed by psychologists and served to maintain power.

Having said it, I decided to read on. I will skip the middle part and read the conclusion (efficient and effective reading skills wink ).

At the end of the article, the author says that

"The paradoxical construal of emotion as simultaneously embodied and inef- fable is central to understanding how the politics of emotion operate in everyday life. Two points should be made explicit. First, constructions of emotion out-of- control are used to disempower people. In this article, I focused on the way in which the portrayal of women’s emotion was paradoxically described as weak emotionality and as dangerously unregulated."

You have quoted a journal that perfectly supports my view that our perception of gender is based on longstanding stereotypes.

What's wrong with a research paper done based on 19th century beliefs based on psychology and scientific/biological findings, on the differences between how men and women process their emotions? Karl Marx was 19th century as well, but a lot of the ideologies were built on his philosophy and Social Science. Sir Isaac Newton's 17th century law of motion is still the most important law in Physics. Einstein's plagiarised 19th century E = mc2 is still foundation of quantum theory. Michael Faraday's 18th century law of electromagnetism is still relevent. So, I honestly don't get you.

Anyway, the only reason why I referenced the research paper is because the writer wrote extensively about the beliefs of many writers from the 19th century to the 21st century. And she did talk about both masculine and feminine emotions, and the disparities between the outward control mechanism of the sexes. Showing that: while men are passionate, women are emotional.

I'll quote these excerpts:

- Female/feminine reasoning capacities were described as intuitive,
practical, concerned with specifics, and thus well suited to domesticity and
nurturance. Male/masculine reason, in contrast, was more likely to be described
in terms of a capacity for objectivity and abstraction, thus better suiting men for
broader projects in which either creative thought or impartiality was needed.
Rationality and intelligence were thus attributes of both sexes, but separate
capacities did not mean equal capacities: The more valued cognitive capabilities
were a male prerogative. For example, women were considered essentially unfit
for scientific work, but observational science (astronomy and especially botany)
were regarded as physically and intellectually within their grasp (Meadows,
2004).

- Similarly, the masculine version of emotion stands in contrast to the feminine.
In its feminine form, emotion was portrayed as a somewhat unstable sensitivity of
feelings toward oneself and others. Masculine emotion, in contrast, was described
as a passionate force evident in the drive to achieve, to create, and to dominate.4
Male/masculine reason was believed to be powered by a distinctively masculine

Furthermore, If you look at the analysis critically, without being jaundiced in your view - you will see that there's actually no bias in their beliefs. They had more to do with finding a way both sexes can complement each other, based on the divergent ways in which they channel their emotions. Once you start over-analysing things using the need to be like men (something most feminists can't shake off), you'll always miss the message and the bigger picture. This isn't about superiority - men and women are just biologically different in a lot of areas. And we need to start appreciating these unique differences, so as to enable us focus more on how to complement each other. The duality of life - the yin and the yang. That's how we can enjoy our existence on this planet.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 01, 2014
I did allude to estrogen in my first post...I'll shed more light on that now.

Estrogen and Women's Emotions

It's clear that estrogen is closely linked with women's emotional well-being. Depression and anxiety affect women in their estrogen-producing years more often than men or postmenopausal women. Estrogen is also linked to mood disruptions that occur only in women -- premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and postpartum depression.

Exactly how estrogen affects emotion is much less straightforward. Is it too much estrogen? Not enough? It turns out estrogen's emotional effects are nearly as mysterious as moods themselves.

Hormones and the Brain
That's not to say estrogen isn't a major player in regulating moods. Estrogen acts everywhere in the body, including the parts of the brain that control emotion.

Some of estrogen's effects include:

- Increasing serotonin, and the number of serotonin receptors in the brain
- Modifying the production and the effects of endorphins, the "feel-good" chemicals in the brain
- Protecting nerves from damage, and possibly stimulating nerve growth

What these effects mean in an individual woman is impossible to predict. Estrogen's actions are too complex for researchers to understand fully. As an example, despite estrogen's apparently positive effects on the brain, many women's moods improve after menopause, when estrogen levels are very low.

Some experts believe that some women are more vulnerable to the menstrual cycle's normal changes in estrogen. They suggest it's the roller coaster of hormones during the reproductive years that create mood disturbances.

http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/estrogen-and-womens-emotions
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

100% misinterpreted
the response and not the degree of stimulation is the ultimate decider of the results and women score higher because the respond better than men.

Exactly my point. Both men and women were asked to respond to the same stimuli and they both did for the purpose of your study. Which is a far cry from your earlier claim that the study shows that the men were simply less likely to respond to the emotional stimuli so that's why women did better.

Your claim has no bearing on the study in question.

Nonso23:

And to the clarification.
Managing Emotions
The Managing Emotions score concerns one’s
capacity to manage emotions successfully, when
appropriate. Managing emotions means that you
remain open to emotional information at important
times, and closed to it at other times

Isn't it obvious that this is where the disparity lies. Women are more attuned to managing emotion because they are better stimulated by it and men otherwise?
And response to stimulation is independent of the intensity of stimulation but dependent on the nature of the receptor. That again is where another divide lies. The woman is more inclined to mix emotions in logical decisions, the man is not.
Eventually it all boils down to the fact that the female gender is more emotional than their male counterparts as their male counterparts who respond differently.

@ bolded, not according to this study. In this study, both men and women were stimulated by the emotions equally. There was no difference in the perception branches of the MSCEIT.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
Oh lawd, spambot just locked me up!

I'm locked up, they won't let me out! angry

Anyway, this is another science article:

Emotional Wiring Different in Men and Women
http://www.livescience.com/4085-emotional-wiring-men-women.html
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

These were also part of the research text
These studies conclude that women have greater emotional knowledge, they express positive and negative emotions more fluently and more frequently, they have more interpersonal competencies, and they are more socially adept

The initial statement and this one you so readily agree to are mere paraphrases. The first being more or less a logical inference from the seond

"Men are less likely to give in to the emotional managing aspect of 'Emotions' as a whole not that they handle it worse."

"the response and not the degree of stimulation is the ultimate decider of the results and women score higher because the respond better than men"

Equal stimulation, lesser readiness to adapt due to biological handicaps, poorer response.

In this study, both men and women were stimulated by the emotions equally. There was no difference in the perception branches of the MSCEIT.

In other words the women responded and scored higher on the MSCEIT scales hence women are more in tune with their emotional sides than men which again is what the study proved.
What again are we arguing over?

I'm sorry, how can 'men and women both scored equally in perception branch of the MSCEIT' possibly in other words mean 'women responded and scored higher on the MSCEIT…..'?

*We are arguing about whether this specific study you posted supports the claims you were making from the start of the thread.*

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

Our results on differences between men and women on the MSCEIT (objective 1) support this widely held belief about women's superiority in emotional processes. Women obtained higher scores on the branches of facilitating, understanding and managing; on strategic area; and on total MSCEIT, although the effect size was small in all cases.

I am referring to the final conclusions. you are referring to the body of the unfinished experiment.

The above form a part of the total conclusions.

My claim that women are more emotional than men; that is already taken care of by the following portion of the conclusion.

Are women more emotionally intelligent than men? Studies on EI and gender answer this question in the affirmative (e.g., Day & Carroll, 2004; Lumley et al., 2005; Palmer et al., 2005), consistent with the belief, widely held in the general population and the academic community, that women are better with emotions (Feldman et al., 2000; Grewal & Salovey, 2005).

First of all, that was not the final conclusion.

Second, that's not what you said. You said my statement that men and women performed the same on the perception aspect meant that women responded and scored higher "in other words". How is this possible?

You claim is that women are more emotional therefore don't reason logically. But this study you posted blows that assertion out of the water.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

That was the final conclusion. Fulfilling objective one.
The other one you listed formed a portion of the observation during the experiment.

The in other words part was an error. The response to that part was clear enough.

My claim was that women are more emotional than men. The study reinforces that assertion. Then I made a logical inference from it to posit men as better leaders. That portion was independent of the text. Not the other way round.

An error? Ok lol.

The study, including your 'final conclusion' (never mind that there are least 1000 more words before the paper finally ends), states that women are more emotionally intelligent than men. Not quite the same as 'women are more emotional than men' plus or minus all other inferences you tacked on. This study does not support your claim in any way, shape or form.

But nice try though.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

What is Emotional intelligence?
That compliment should go the other way. lol

By the question, you are trying to infer that emotional intelligence is the exact same thing as the female stereotypes being discussed in this thread?

In that case, why exactly do you have a problem with my first post which highlighted the study findings that women are more emotionally intelligent than men especially in the aspect of emotional managing? Here's said post.

ileobatojo:

So. This study (after controlling for age) shows that women were better at emotional managing?

Emotional managing is the ability to create effective strategies that use your emotions to help you achieve a goal, rather than being influenced by your emotions in unpredictable ways.

In other words, according to this study, men were more influenced by their emotions in unpredictable ways while women were shown to be better at logically creating effective strategies to achieve a goal using their emotions.

Just in case anyone was confused.

Rotfl!

Like I said, nice try.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2014
Nonso23:

At least we are not in disagreement on the conclusion that the test supported the emotional superiority of women above men.

Emotional intelligence :
Emotional intelligence
involves our ability to
understand, express, and
control
our emotions.
What does it mean to be 'emotional'??

The age aspect: not in all the test. In the body of the discussion a portion stated

''when we tested whether gender differences in EI would increase after controlling for age (objective 2), we found that in fact all significant differences for MSCEIT scores dissappeared when age was controlled for, except THE BRANCH OF EMOTIONAL MANAGING''
Women still lead the emotional pack nonetheless.
When age is considered women still lead. smiley

That last sentence is left for those who will read the posts here eventually. wink

@bold

It means that men and women are more similar that was previously assumed but women score better at emotional managing.
The results that you so proudly quote show that men have more difficulties managing their emotions.

Now how does this put them at an advantage in decision making?
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
crackhaus:

You're kidding me right?
I did put specific bits of text in bold for a reason you know? undecided

Under the 'Structural Differences' subheading:

Bold Text (a) - Inputing or absorbing more sensorial and emotive information implies that women have a larger amount of emotions being fed into their brain - this is stimuli from what they read, hear, or feel.
More emotional input equals more emotional output (the explanation for this is explained under the 'Blood Flow and Brain Activity' subheading)

Bold Text (b) - Females tend to sense more and retain that sensorial information implies that they are more sensitive to verbal, oratory, or nonexistent cues altogether. This is the part where reading meaning into vague statements come in.

This implies that females have more expression when it comes to feelings and emotions. Males have less connectivity between word centers and feelings/emotions.
A woman is more likely to betray herself and expose how angry/frustrated/happy she is by just speaking/typing words.

Under the 'Blood Flow and Brain Activity' subheading:

I don't need to explain this further.

Males feel emotional stimulus but instead of Inputing/absorbing and retaining most of it (like women), they dwell briefly on it, analyze it, then move onto something else.
Males may also choose to change course and change focus onto something unrelated altogether rather than absorbing and analyzing the feeling.

Less input/absorption of emotional stimuli equals less presence of emotions in the brain - and even with the little that gets in, it's likely to get analyzed. This is the logic/rationalization.

This is not about intelligence/problem solving/mathematical deduction - these are not emotional stimuli and thus, can be effectively carried out 'logically' by both genders.
The basis of comparison/difference between the genders is on emotional stimuli and the subjectively unique responses/reactions to it due to brain configuration/processes and hormonal interference.

I was referring to the other source when I asked you this question. I have not even seen this one.

I have a response to the research you rely on but I first need the link, please.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
Er, in terms of intelligence and smart required for the classroom, which has more to do with ability to assimilate knowledge and Regurgitation - I'd say you can't really say one se.x is superior to the other. Though guys might perform better marginally.

However, when it comes to the application of this knowledge to real life situations and decision-making, that is where guys become the logical ones, while females struggle most times. Hence females also always struggle with courses that involve practicalising whatever theory they are taught.

Females are good with garbage-in, garbage-out - while guys process information better.

2 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 01, 2014
crackhaus:

You're kidding me right?
I did put specific bits of text in bold for a reason you know? undecided

Under the 'Structural Differences' subheading:

Bold Text (a) - Inputing or absorbing more sensorial and emotive information implies that women have a larger amount of emotions being fed into their brain - this is stimuli from what they read, hear, or feel.
More emotional input equals more emotional output (the explanation for this is explained under the 'Blood Flow and Brain Activity' subheading)

Bold Text (b) - Females tend to sense more and retain that sensorial information implies that they are more sensitive to verbal, oratory, or nonexistent cues altogether. This is the part where reading meaning into vague statements come in.

This implies that females have more expression when it comes to feelings and emotions. Males have less connectivity between word centers and feelings/emotions.
A woman is more likely to betray herself and expose how angry/frustrated/happy she is by just speaking/typing words.

Under the 'Blood Flow and Brain Activity' subheading:

I don't need to explain this further.

Males feel emotional stimulus but instead of Inputing/absorbing and retaining most of it (like women), they dwell briefly on it, analyze it, then move onto something else.
Males may also choose to change course and change focus onto something unrelated altogether rather than absorbing and analyzing the feeling.

Less input/absorption of emotional stimuli equals less presence of emotions in the brain - and even with the little that gets in, it's likely to get analyzed. This is the logic/rationalization.

This is not about intelligence/problem solving/mathematical deduction - these are not emotional stimuli and thus, can be effectively carried out 'logically' by both genders.
The basis of comparison/difference between the genders is on emotional stimuli and the subjectively unique responses/reactions to it due to brain configuration/processes and hormonal interference.

I have found the article.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201402/brain-differences-between-genders

The author of the article is a psychologist and not a neurologist and he does not merely summarize the observations and findings in the field of neurology but interprets them, which should be looked at critically because:

"Complex organ
Prof Heidi Johansen-Berg, a UK expert in neuroscienceat the University of Oxford, said the brain was too complex an organ to be able to make broad generalisations.

"We know that there is no such thing as 'hard wiring' when it comes to brain connections. Connections can change throughout life, in response to experience and learning.

"Often, sophisticated mathematical approaches are used to analyse and describe these brain networks. These methods can be useful to identify differences between groups, but it is often challenging to interpret those differences in biological terms."

Dr Michael Bloomfield, Clinical Research Fellow at the Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre in London, said: "It has been known for some time that there are differences between the sexes when it comes to how our bodies work and the brain is no exception.

However, he said care must be taken in drawing conclusions from the study, as the precise relationships between how our brains are wired and our performance on particular tasks needed further investigation.

"We cannot say yet that one is causing the other."

(...)

"We think that there can also be differences in certain chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters, for example, and so we need more research to fully understand how all these different aspects of brain structure and function work together to answer fundamental questions like "how do we think?".

"One thing that remains unknown is what is driving these differences between the sexes. An obvious possibility is that that male hormones like testosterone and female hormones like oestrogren have different affects on the brain.

"A more subtle possibility is that bringing a child up in a particular gender could affect how our brains are wired."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25198063

As you can see, many experts of neurology would not interpret any observable brain differences in the way Gregory L. Jantz did but he is not a brain expert anyway and so aren't we. wink

We must be very careful how we interpret research because history has shown that it can lead to discrimination and is thus dangerous.

"In 1854, German anatomist Emil Huschke reported that the brain’s frontal lobe, which he called the “brain of intelligence,” is larger in men than in women. (Scientists of this era made comparable proclamations about race, claiming, for instance, that the frontal lobe is smaller in “Negros” than in Caucasians.) Today’s neuroscientists are doing something similar: using new technologies to unwittingly perpetuate stereotypes that are just as unfounded and just as damaging."

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/stop-looking-“hardwired”-differences-male-and-female-brains

Food for thought.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 02, 2014
ileobatojo:

So. This study (after controlling for age) shows that women were better at emotional managing?

Emotional managing is the ability to create effective strategies that use your emotions to help you achieve a goal, rather than being influenced by your emotions in unpredictable ways.

In other words, according to this study, men were more influenced by their emotions in unpredictable ways while women were shown to be better at logically creating effective strategies to achieve a goal using their emotions.

Just in case anyone was confused.

Rotfl!

I have said it right from the beginning, he wasn't familiar with the source.
He quoted a source that contradicts the widely held stereotypes and therefore contradicted himself.

Sorry Nonso. smiley

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 02, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I have said it right from the beginning, he wasn't familiar with the source.
He quoted a source that contradicts the widely held stereotypes and therefore contradicted himself.

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 02, 2014
ileobatojo:

Exactly.

Thanks for your contributions. smiley
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Shirley07: 1:17am On Nov 02, 2014
crackhaus:

Male and female brains process the same neurochemicals but to different degrees. Some dominant neurochemicals are serotonin, which, among other things, helps us sit still; testosterone, our sex and aggression chemical; estrogen , a female growth and reproductive chemical; and oxytocin, a bonding-relationship chemical.
In part, because of differences in processing these
chemicals, males on average tend to be less inclined to sit still for as long as females and tend to be more physically impulsive and aggressive. Additionally, males process less of the bonding chemical oxytocin than females. Overall, a major takeaway of chemistry differences is to realize that our boys at times need different strategies for stress release than our girls

Structural Differences

A number of structural elements in the human brain differ between males and females. “Structural” refers to actual parts of the brain and the way they are built, including their size and/or mass.

Females often have a larger hippocampus, our human memory center. Females also often have a higher density of neural connections into the hippocampus. As a result, girls and women tend to input or absorb more sensorial and emotive information than males do. By “sensorial” we mean information to and from all five senses. If you note your observations over the next months of boys and girls and women and men, you will find that females tend to sense a lot more of what is going on around them throughout the day, and they retain that sensorial information more than men.

Additionally, before boys or girls are born, their brains developed with different hemispheric divisions of labor. The right and left hemispheres of the male and female brains are not set up exactly the same way. For instance, females tend to have verbal centers on both sides of the brain, while males tend to have verbal centers on only the left hemisphere. This is a significant difference. Girls tend to use more words when discussing or describing incidence, story, person, feeling, or place. Males not only have
fewer verbal centers in general but also, often, have less connectivity between their word centers and their memories or feelings. When it comes to discussing feelings and emotions and senses together, girls tend to have an advantage, and they tend to have more interest in talking about these things.

Blood Flow and Brain Activity
While we are on the subject of emotional processing, another difference worth looking closely at is the activity difference between male and female brains. The female brain, in part thanks to far more natural blood flow throughout the brain at any given moment (more white matter processing), and because of a higher degree of blood flow in a concentration part of the brain called the cingulate gyrus, will often ruminate on and revisit emotional memories more than the male brain.
I still don't see any reasonable thing in that article you put up.
I agree that female are more verbally inclined but the part I highlighted is one stup!d analogy with no biological basis.
The reason why some organs in the body are more vascularized than their counterparts is due to the amount of work they undertake.
For example, during excercise, liver gets more blood flow because it's needed for more sugar to be broken down to produce more energy. Hence, a female brain is supplied with more blood because it's a multi-tasking brain.
On the hormones, serotonin is a feel-good hormone that helps in calming one's mood while the major work of oestrogen is for the growth of female secondary sex 'xters such as, brea$t growth, hip enlargement, womb devt, more rounded physique e.t.c. There's a reason oestrogen is administered to men who want a sex change. But let me ask you, do these transgender change the way they feel after the sex change?
Although, scientists have tried to find a link between oestrogen and mood change but they haven't find any tangible basis for it. As you can see, no point in that article make sense.
As a matter of fact, females has small size of brain but has more convoluted surface area which in turns increases the capacity of their retentive memory. Hence, females tends not to forget things easily.

With this, we can also say forgiveness doesn't come easy with females because the memory is deeply retained within them and this contradicts the major society belief, which is 'a woman tends to forgive her husband infidelity while a man don't'. This brings us back to us being a product of our society, i.e a female have always been taught to mask her emotion despite her pains whereas the men can bring down brimstone on their wives.
The truth is a female is capable of masking her emotions and this tell us that females are quite logical. Lets not also forget the feel-good hormone (serotonin), found only in females, which helps to calm one's mood.
By the way, the author of that article is a dunce.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 02, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 02, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 02, 2014
Nonso23:

A lot of decisions will require logical and not emotional intelligence. That is the man's forte.
Emotional intelligence has little to nothing to do with logical/rational decision making.
They are on parallels
Emotional intelligence is based on social/communication and interpersonal skills.
Rational decisions is based on logicaland methodological approach towards solving problems.

We have EQ for emotional intelligence
We have IQ for logical / rational intelligence.
They are different and women have been shown to apply EI more frequently than men by the text.

End point still shows difference between both genders.

And who told you that men have higher IQs?
And who claims that women apply EI more frequently?
And who says that EI switches off IQ?
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 02, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Most Women Feel So Uncomfortable With Their In-laws? / Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? / This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.