Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Gender Stereotypes Part I - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gender Stereotypes Part I (11261 Views)

How To Build Stronger And Healthier Friendship – Part I / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Gender Stereotypes Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 02, 2014
Nonso23:

That is an opinion. smiley
Or you are selectively reading.
The article was clear on the fact that women were a lot more prone to express and rely on emotions to make judgments better than men.
But then again the tests were based on emotional stand points centered around interpersonal relationships and self understanding which is obviously the woman's strength. I think that more than explains its finding.

Women are more emotional than men.

Your own source contradicts you. wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 02, 2014
Nonso23,

women are said to have higher IQs and higher EI.

They seem to have remarkable advantages.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 02, 2014

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 02, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 02, 2014
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 02, 2014
Nonso23:

''This conclusion is supported by an extensive literature on gender differences in emotional aspects, showing, for example, that women are more capable of decoding nonverbal emotional information (Brody & Hall, 2000; Hall, 1978), have greater emotional understanding (Ciarrochi et al., 2005), are more sensitive to the emotions of others (Hall & Mast, 2008), and are more expressive and show greater interpersonal competencies''

'' These studies conclude that women have greater emotional knowledge, they express positive and negative emotions more fluently and more frequently, they have more interpersonal competencies, and they are more socially adept (Brody & Hall, 2000;...''

selective reading again.

IQ and EQ are differ from one another in application. One gender is adept to application of logic (IQ) more than the other. The other is more adept to emotional intelligence (EQ) application.

I do not see where i claimed women have lesser IQ. smiley

Let us first define EI.

"Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions."

http://psychology.about.com/od/personalitydevelopment/a/emotionalintell.htm

Women score higher at EI, which means that they are more capable of controlling their emotions and thus not act on them and possibly make more rational choices, according to your logic my dear.

You said that women use their EI more frequently at the cost of their IQs, which is nothing but a mere assumption and maybe wishful thinking. tongue smiley

We have talked about emotions for quite a long time now, so let us direct our attention to intelligence / logic.

"Why Women Finally Have Higher IQs than Men

Given that women have long outnumbered men on college campuses and hold more advanced degrees than their male counterparts, it makes sense that they would also score higher on IQ tests. But for the last 100 years, they’ve lagged behind men by as much as five points—although their scores have been rising.

Finally, according to IQ expert James Flynn, women have closed the IQ gap and are in fact scoring higher than men, reports the Telegraph.

IQ — or intelligence quotient — the most widely used measure of intelligence and is determined based on one’s deviation from the average IQ score of a certain age group. It’s thought to be a product of both environmental and hereditary factors, and is a statistically reliable predictor of future educational achievement, job performance and income. But the reasons for demographic differences in IQ — for example, between races or genders — have long been widely debated."

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/16/why-women-finally-have-higher-iqs-than-men/

I want to make myself clear, I don't think that any gender is better than or superior to the other.
All I want is that people begin to pass their judgements on someone's abilities and talents individually and not based on stereotypes.

To say that men, in general, are more logical is a myth.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 02, 2014
Nonso23:

As long as it clearly pointed out the more emotional gender clearly i don't see how it contradicts anything.
smiley

No, it has not. wink It said that women score higher at Emotional Intelligence.

EI

Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions.

Women cope with emotions better.

This is what your source has proven. smiley
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by crackhaus: 1:11pm On Nov 02, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I have found the article.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201402/brain-differences-between-genders

The author of the article is a psychologist and not a neurologist and he does not merely summarize the observations and findings in the field of neurology but interprets them, which should be looked at critically because:
Lol...what is this?
So knowledge of the brain structure/composition/process is now restricted to the field of neurology?
How exactly does being a psychologist discredit his knowledge & interpretation of gender differences due to brain composition?

The article on this next source is quite long, hence I can't copy and paste it, it's from the anatomical and neuro-anatomical perspective.
I guess your next claim would be that an anatomist and more importantly the works of neuro-anatomists and neuro-scientists the article was referenced from - know nothing of the brain because they're not neurologists. undecided

http://www.benthamopen.com/journal/render-fulltext.php?articleID=TOANATJ-2-37

"Complex organ
Prof Heidi Johansen-Berg, a UK expert in neuroscienceat the University of Oxford, said the brain was too complex an organ to be able to make broad generalisations.

"We know that there is no such thing as 'hard wiring' when it comes to brain connections. Connections can change throughout life, in response to experience and learning.

"Often, sophisticated mathematical approaches are used to analyse and describe these brain networks. These methods can be useful to identify differences between groups, but it is often challenging to interpret those differences in biological terms."

Dr Michael Bloomfield, Clinical Research Fellow at the Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre in London, said: "It has been known for some time that there are differences between the sexes when it comes to how our bodies work and the brain is no exception.

However, he said care must be taken in drawing conclusions from the study, as the precise relationships between how our brains are wired and our performance on particular tasks needed further investigation.

"We cannot say yet that one is causing the other."

(...)

"We think that there can also be differences in certain chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters, for example, and so we need more research to fully understand how all these different aspects of brain structure and function work together to answer fundamental questions like "how do we think?".

"One thing that remains unknown is what is driving these differences between the sexes. An obvious possibility is that that male hormones like testosterone and female hormones like oestrogren have different affects on the brain.

"A more subtle possibility is that bringing a child up in a particular gender could affect how our brains are wired."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25198063

As you can see, many experts of neurology would not interpret any observable brain differences in the way Gregory L. Jantz did but he is not a brain expert anyway and so aren't we. wink
All of this is just you trying to reach - any excuse to refute the good Dr. Gregory L. Jantz's article is enough excuse for you.

According to your neurology:
Are there any differences between male and female brains or not?
Do men have more gray (thinking/analyzing) matter or not?
Do women have more white (connecting) matter or not?
Do men make more use of only one side of their brains or not?
Do women make more use of both sides of their brain for connecting words and emotions or not?
Are the areas for spatial/task-focus and for expression/nurturing more readily accessed in males and females respectively or not?

Do these differences not mean that the brain of both genders are fundamentally different in input/processing/output, neural pathways, and subsequently emotional expression or not?

What is your point really?
All brain-related fields including your precious neurology agree that the composition and chemical makeup of the brain is different with respect to gender.
They all agree that the gender-specific hormones play different functions on the brain due to where they're secreted and the resulting effects.

In case you're wondering where I'm getting the above from, it's all in that link I provided at the top.
I suggest you read it all through, you're bound to see the use of words like 'logic' and 'emotions' more than once.

We must be very careful how we interpret research because history has shown that it can lead to discrimination and is thus dangerous.
There are advantages the female brain have over the male brain as well as disadvantages - and vice versa. It's all in that article for you to ruminate on and it doesn't imply one is more superior.

You females should be happy with the advantages and leave the argument over which gender is more logical/emotional alone - Women tend to respond more emotionally and men more logically/analytically when exposed to the same emotional stimulus, full stop!
Fighting it only makes y'all come across as not being totally accepting/happy with your feminity and desperately wanting to possess male characteristics, it's sad really.

Like I did say, dwell on the advantages of the female brain over that of males - you don't see/hear us whine about our own not-so-flattering stereotypes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by crackhaus: 1:38pm On Nov 02, 2014
Shirley07:

[s]I still don't see any reasonable thing in that article you put up.
I agree that female are more verbally inclined but the part I highlighted is one stup!d analogy with no biological basis.
The reason why some organs in the body are more vascularized than their counterparts is due to the amount of work they undertake.
For example, during excercise, liver gets more blood flow because it's needed for more sugar to be broken down to produce more energy. Hence, a female brain is supplied with more blood because it's a multi-tasking brain.
On the hormones, serotonin is a feel-good hormone that helps in calming one's mood while the major work of oestrogen is for the growth of female secondary sex 'xters such as, brea$t growth, hip enlargement, womb devt, more rounded physique e.t.c. There's a reason oestrogen is administered to men who want a sex change. But let me ask you, do these transgender change the way they feel after the sex change?
Although, scientists have tried to find a link between oestrogen and mood change but they haven't find any tangible basis for it. As you can see, no point in that article make sense.
As a matter of fact, females has small size of brain but has more convoluted surface area which in turns increases the capacity of their retentive memory. Hence, females tends not to forget things easily.

With this, we can also say forgiveness doesn't come easy with females because the memory is deeply retained within them and this contradicts the major society belief, which is 'a woman tends to forgive her husband infidelity while a man don't'. This brings us back to us being a product of our society, i.e a female have always been taught to mask her emotion despite her pains whereas the men can bring down brimstone on their wives.
The truth is a female is capable of masking her emotions and this tell us that females are quite logical. Lets not also forget the feel-good hormone (serotonin), found only in females, which helps to calm one's mood.[/s]
By the way, the author of that article is a dunce.
I totally agree, the author is a dunce - a dunce with a Bachelor's, Masters, and a PhD as well as his professional certifications in the field of Psychology.
May I also add, he's an internationally recognized best-selling author dunce of over 26 books…

You that isn't a dunce but a real genius, what are your academic qualifications and achievements?

6 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nonso23:

Emotional intelligence is all encompassing of everything emotion.
I had a problem with your initial statement because:

Emotional
managing is not the same as effective emotional
management which you defined.

While the former is innate the latter is learned.

I have already demonstrated the bolded statement to be utterly false.

But please humor me since you insist of continuing in this line. Provide the definition of emotional managing (specific to the MSCEIT) and contrast it to the definition of "effective emotional management". Please provide your sources for the definitions. Thanks.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 02, 2014
This place reminds me of classroom with thick lens profs and very big volumes of texbook on their desks.

Heaven help u if u rnt prepared b4 u enter d lion's den, na to wee for pant cheesy

See as folks dey veiw dey run cheesy
Abeg u guys should come and contribute now.
Very great and wonderful discourse.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 02, 2014
moca:
This place reminds me of classroom with thick lens profs and very big volumes of texbook on their desks.

Heaven help u if u rnt prepared b4 u enter d lion's den, na to wee for pant cheesy

See as folks dey veiw dey run cheesy

Abeg u guys should come and contribute now.
Very great and wonderful discourse.

grin grin

I got myself sucked into all the grammar and long story. cheesy
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Shirley07: 6:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
crackhaus:

I totally agree, the author is a dunce - a dunce with a Bachelor's, Masters, and a PhD as well as his professional certifications in the field of Psychology.
May I also add, he's an internationally recognized best-selling author dunce of over 26 books…

You that isn't a dunce but a real genius, what are your academic qualifications and achievements?
The author is a psychologist, not a scientist! Hello, you can't use logic for science.
And I wasn't taught to swallow shit the way a sheep like you does but to verify it.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
crackhaus:

Lol...what is this?
So knowledge of the brain structure/composition/process is now restricted to the field of neurology?
How exactly does being a psychologist discredit his knowledge & interpretation of gender differences due to brain composition?

The article on this next source is quite long, hence I can't copy and paste it, it's from the anatomical and neuro-anatomical perspective.
I guess your next claim would be that an anatomist and more importantly the works of neuro-anatomists and neuro-scientists the article was referenced from - know nothing of the brain because they're not neurologists. undecided

http://www.benthamopen.com/journal/render-fulltext.php?articleID=TOANATJ-2-37

All of this is just you trying to reach - any excuse to refute the good Dr. Gregory L. Jantz's article is enough excuse for you.

According to your neurology:
Are there any differences between male and female brains or not?
Do men have more gray (thinking/analyzing) matter or not?
Do women have more white (connecting) matter or not?
Do men make more use of only one side of their brains or not?
Do women make more use of both sides of their brain for connecting words and emotions or not?
Are the areas for spatial/task-focus and for expression/nurturing more readily accessed in males and females respectively or not?

Do these differences not mean that the brain of both genders are fundamentally different in input/processing/output, neural pathways, and subsequently emotional expression or not?

What is your point really?
All brain-related fields including your precious neurology agree that the composition and chemical makeup of the brain is different with respect to gender.
They all agree that the gender-specific hormones play different functions on the brain due to where they're secreted and the resulting effects.

In case you're wondering where I'm getting the above from, it's all in that link I provided at the top.
I suggest you read it all through, you're bound to see the use of words like 'logic' and 'emotions' more than once.

There are advantages the female brain have over the male brain as well as disadvantages - and vice versa. It's all in that article for you to ruminate on and it doesn't imply one is more superior.

You females should be happy with the advantages and leave the argument over which gender is more logical/emotional alone - Women tend to respond more emotionally and men more logically/analytically when exposed to the same emotional stimulus, full stop!
Fighting it only makes y'all come across as not being totally accepting/happy with your feminity and desperately wanting to possess male characteristics, it's sad really.

Like I did say, dwell on the advantages of the female brain over that of males - you don't see/hear us whine about our own not-so-flattering stereotypes.

Didn't you complain a few pages ago that the choice of studies presented by some people here is one-sided?
Why do you complain about something that you do yourself?

You search for studies that support your views and neglect all studies that contradict your views and there are plenty of them, too.
Why would you choose to ignore the criticism regarding the interpretation of the findings you have quoted here?
There are plenty of neurologists out there that CLEARLY say that the findings have been misinterpreted.

Some decades ago so called experts claimed that men were more intelligent because they had bigger brains. No serious scientist would agree with this view today. Some decades ago so called experts claimed that white men were more intelligent because their brains differed from those of "Negros".

Today some people use neurology to claim that women are less capable of making sound decisions based on reason as they are too emotional.
undecided

Before you tell me to read more sources that support your views, do me a favor and get familiar with sources that contradict your views.
I am very familiar with studies supporting your views.

Here is something to begin with:

"Why it's time for brain science to ditch the 'Venus and Mars' cliche
Reports trumpeting basic differences between male and female brains are biological determinism at its most trivial, says the science writer of the year"

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/07/brain-science-ditch-male-female-cliche

"A neuroscientist has claimed the expression 'Men are from Mars and women are from Venus' has no scientific grounding, and that instead our brains are changed by the roles society forces us to play.
According to Gina Rippon, a professor at Aston University in Birmingham, stereotypes - such as women's supposed inability to read maps, or the idea men are bad at multitasking - have no links to science.
Instead of being wired in different ways, Professor Rippon said that men and women are only dissimilar because the world we live in encourages gender role-playing."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576241/Men-NOT-Mars-Scientist-claims-male-female-brains-gender-stereotyping-makes-different.html

By the way, I am very happy with my brain and I never wish to be a man.

The only problem I have, is that some people interpret science as it suits them to tell me and other women what they should do with their lives, what they are capable of and that their decisions are of poorer quality because they base them on emotions instead of using reason, which they are not able to do as well as men anyway. undecided undecided undecided

Besides Nonso has shown us that women score better at EI.

EI

"Emotional intelligence (EI) refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions."

SO even if we believe the interpretation of the studies you have quoted that women are more emotional, we must also consider that women are better at controlling emotions, which makes men (not women) more prone to acting and decision making based on emotions.

Furthermore, women have higher IQs and girls have long outperformed boys in ALL school subjects, which must make us re-consider if we can afford it to claim that women should be the ones to take on traditional gender roles and that men should be the HEAD, when their heads perform worse concerning IQ tests and school performance.

Isn't it logical? smiley
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by okotv(m): 8:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Didn't you complain a few pages ago that the choice of studies presented by some people here is one-sided?

You search for studies that support your views and neglect all studies that contradict your views and there are plenty of them, too.
Why would you choose to ignore the criticism regarding the interpretation of the findings you have quoted here?
There are plenty of neurologists out there that CLEARLY say that the findings have been misinterpreted.

Some decades ago so called experts claimed that men were more intelligent because they had bigger brains. No serious scientist would agree with this view today. Some decades ago so called experts claimed that white men were more intelligent because their brains differed from those of "Negros".

Today some people use neurology to claim that women are less capable of making sound decisions based on reason as they are too emotional.
undecided

Before you tell me to read more sources that support your views, do me a favor and get familiar with sources that contradict your views.

Reports trumpeting basic differences between male and female brains are biological determinism at its most trivial, says the science writer of the year"

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/07/brain-science-ditch-male-female-cliche

"A neuroscientist has claimed the expression 'Men are from Mars and women are from Venus' has no scientific grounding, and that instead our brains are changed by the roles society forces us to play.
According to Gina Rippon, a professor at Aston University in Birmingham, stereotypes - such as women's supposed inability to read maps, or the idea men are bad at multitasking - have no links to science.
Instead of being wired in different ways, Professor Rippon said that men and women are only dissimilar because the world we live in encourages gender role-playing."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576241/Men-NOT-Mars-Scientist-claims-male-female-brains-gender-stereotyping-makes-different.html

The only problem I have, is that some people interpret science as it suits them to tell me and other women what they should do with their lives, what they are capable of and that their decisions are of poorer quality because they base them on emotions instead of using reason, which they are not able to do as well as men anyway. undecided undecided undecided

EI

SO even if we believe the interpretation of the studies you have quoted that women are more emotional, we must also consider that women are better at controlling emotions, which makes men (not women) more prone to acting and decision making based on emotions.

Furthermore, women have higher IQs and girls have long outperformed boys in ALL school subjects, which must make us re-consider if we can afford it to claim that women should be the ones to take on traditional gender roles and that men should be the HEAD, when their heads perform worse concerning IQ tests and school performance.

Isn't it logical? smiley

glad to have an e-sister like you ....

good evening
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by tmosco(m): 10:48pm On Nov 02, 2014
carefreewannabe:

undecided

EI

Isn't it logical? smiley

In d spectrum of IQ (1-10) d most women falls on is 5-8 and most men are found in d 1-4 and 8-10 so in summary d highest IQ will be men and d lowest IQ will be men.So it all depends on d category in which IQ d man falls on.
Will send u a reference soon.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by crackhaus: 10:57pm On Nov 02, 2014
@carefreewannabe

Allegations!

Let me go see where I complained about articles being one-sided on this thread or about anything on here for that matter.

*Checked and Rechecked*

I didn't see it... I did say though, that the articles being posted are saying there are no differences between the genders as regards this topic without any biological reasons to back that up. Is this the complain? undecided

As for only using articles that support my views, well that's unfortunate.

However I did ask these questions:

Are there any differences between male and
female brains or not?
Do men have more gray (thinking/analyzing)
matter or not?
Do women have more white (connecting) matter
or not?
Do men make more use of only one side of their
brains or not?
Do women make more use of both sides of their
brain for connecting words and emotions or not?
Are the areas for spatial/task-focus and for
expression/nurturing more readily accessed in
males and females respectively or not?

Do these differences not mean that the brain of
both genders are fundamentally different in
input/processing/output, neural pathways, and
subsequently emotional expression or not?

All your other points are seen and noted.
I also presume you've read the link I gave?

Since you say I'm only bringing links that support my views (which is actually quite unfounded as you're yet to bring a source which proves that no single difference exist in the chemical composition/structure of male and female brains), and since you're only going to bring links that support your own views as you also say (without any biological/neurological reasons if I may add) - it's obvious we're at an impasse, a systematic deadlock.

For the above reason, I'm outta here for now.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by tmosco(m): 10:58pm On Nov 02, 2014
Upon all d research being done on d brain,little is being known dat why people keep bringing different report.But if we shud carry out our own research on who more emotional just by d way people behave. An ideal research should b an only girl in a house full wit boys and vice versa. Do d girl still expresses more emotion dan d guys ? will give u d result nx week.av a nice week ahead grin
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by crackhaus: 11:40pm On Nov 02, 2014
Haaaah I just read your post again thoroughly - you got a problem.

carefreewannabe:
Furthermore, women have higher IQs and girls have long outperformed boys in ALL school subjects…
You mean after all your request for links and sources, you still could come up with the above without sources to back it up?

I already have a source that totally disproves it with respect to math and analytic capabilities, and how fast the brain develops to tackle them with respect to age between boys and girls - but I'd rather wait for you to defend that claim with your neurological sources.

Also, how can you type this:

...which must make us re-consider if we
can afford it to claim that women should be the
ones to take on traditional gender roles and that
men should be the HEAD,
when their heads
perform worse concerning IQ tests and school
performance.

Just few lines after you initially typed this?:

You almost always end up revealing your true motives, because I wonder how/where this argument suddenly diverted into/about who should take on traditional gender roles or who should be HEAD (you even put it in capitals for emphasis). Lol...
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
crackhaus:
Haaaah I just read your post again thoroughly - you got a problem.

You mean after all your request for links and sources, you still could come up with the above without sources to back it up?

I already have a source that totally disproves it with respect to math and analytic capabilities, and how fast the brain develops to tackle them with respect to age between boys and girls - but I'd rather wait for you to defend that claim with your neurological sources.

Also, how can you type this:

Just few lines after you initially typed this?:

You almost always end up revealing your true motives, because I wonder how/where this argument suddenly diverted into/about who should take on traditional gender roles or who should be HEAD (you even put it in capitals for emphasis). Lol...

I admit, I was quite provocative (in a rather humorous way) but I didn't expect such an emotional response. wink

It would be nice if we continued the conversation without any hostile and snappish remarks. wink

Women Surpass Men In IQ, But Are Other Factors More Important?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2012/07/16/women-surpass-men-in-iq-but-are-other-factors-more-important/

Women do have higher IQ than men (thanks to multi-tasking)

WOMEN have long suspected they are the superior sex – and now ­scientists have proved it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/333129/Women-do-have-higher-IQ-than-men-thanks-to-multi-tasking

The Smarter Sex? Women's Average IQ Overtakes Men's

http://www.livescience.com/21647-men-women-iq-scores.html

Admit It: Women Are Smarter Than Men BY GEOFFREY JAMES @SALES_SOURCE
Multiple studies reveal that female leaders are more effective than their male counterparts. The question is, what are you going to do with this information?

http://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/admit-it-women-are-smarter-than-men.html

Women Are Smarter Than Men

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112656907/women-are-smarter-than-men/

The Smart Are Getting Smarter and More Girls Are Good At Math

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/30/the-smart-are-getting-smarter-and-more-g

Economist: girls actually better than boys at maths

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/30/sapienza_girls_boys_statistics/

THE TRUTH ABOUT GENDER AND MATH

Now, let’s look at some international comparisons:

• Boys do better in only about ½ of the OECD nations. For nearly all the other countries, there were no significant sex differences. In Iceland, girls outshine boys significantly.

• In Japan, though girls perform less well than the boys, they generally outperform U.S. boys considerably. So finding that boys outperform girls within a country does not mean that boys outperform girls across all countries.

• Still, even in Iceland, girls overwhelmingly express more negative attitudes towards math.

So what’s the real story here? Well, one study found that the gender gap in math ability and the level of gender inequality in a society were highly correlated. That is, “…the gender gap in math, although it historically favors boys, disappears in more gender-equal societies.”

Part of the problem, then, is simply that girls and boys internalize the idea that they will be bad and good at math respectively because of crap like the “Math class is tough!” Barbie (sold and then retracted in 1992):

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2013/03/07/the-truth-about-gender-and-math/

Girls Outperform Boys In All School Subjects

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/9147/20140429/girls-outperform-boys-in-all-school-subjects.htm

A landmark new study: overall, girls get better grades than boys at all ages, in all subjects, all over the world

Based on a meta-analysis reviewing data from hundreds of studies and released this year by the American Psychological Association, NBC News has a provocative new report concerning the extent of boys’ academic underachievement: overall, girls do better than boys at all ages, in all subjects, all over the world. Yes, even in math.

http://www.avoiceformalestudents.com/a-landmark-new-study-overall-girls-get-better-grades-than-boys-at-all-ages-all-subjects-all-over-the-world/

Before you accuse me of being one-sided. I have seen the sources that say men were more intelligent and better at maths. wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
okotv:
glad to have an e-sister like you ....

good evening

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Proud to be your e-sister.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 03, 2014
crackhaus:
@carefreewannabe

Allegations!

Let me go see where I complained about articles being one-sided on this thread or about anything on here for that matter.

*Checked and Rechecked*

I didn't see it... I did say though, that the articles being posted are saying there are no differences between the genders as regards this topic without any biological reasons to back that up. Is this the complain? undecided

As for only using articles that support my views, well that's unfortunate.

However I did ask these questions:

All your other points are seen and noted.
I also presume you've read the link I gave?

Since you say I'm only bringing links that support my views (which is actually quite unfounded as you're yet to bring a source which proves that no single difference exist in the chemical composition/structure of male and female brains), and since you're only going to bring links that support your own views as you also say (without any biological/neurological reasons if I may add) - it's obvious we're at an impasse, a systematic deadlock.

For the above reason, I'm outta here for now.

Wait a moment.
Have I said that there are no differences between female and male brains?
I think I have quoted studies that show that 1) there are more similarities than differences and 2) that differences increase with age due to socialization and 3) that men experience emotions just like women but that they express them in a different way.

Please also know that I do not agree with every source. As you can see scientists contradict each other all the time.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by crackhaus: 5:29pm On Nov 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I admit, I was quite provocative (in a rather humorous way) but I didn't expect such an emotional response. wink
An emotional response? Pffft...

Before you accuse me of being one-sided. I have seen the sources that say men were are more intelligent and better at maths. wink
This is good to know, now you understand why this conversation will lead nowhere - there are sources that support your view, and there are that much sources that support mine as well.

However I gotta ask, with the high number of female geniuses possessing over-the-top IQs - how many of these are recognized as world renowned inventors, scientists, renaissance artists, musical geniuses/composers, astronauts, painters, war tacticians, etc. etc.

Note:
I didn't imply there aren't any, although I'm having a hard time coming up with more than five names off the top of my head right now - I just ask that you make a men-women comparison (numbers) in the various fields above.

If you're being tiny objective, you would realize that these claims of women having higher IQs is more or less existent only on biased papers & researches.
Not like I'm trying to make this about superiority, but world history is a much better and justified precedent in claims as these.

I did not read your links! wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by crackhaus: 5:52pm On Nov 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Wait a moment.
Have I said that there are no differences between female and male brains?
I think I have quoted studies that show that 1) there are more similarities than differences and 2) that differences increase with age due to socialization and 3) that men experience emotions just like women but that they express them in a different way.

Please also know that I do not agree with every source. As you can see scientists contradict each other all the time.
I see.

So you agree there are differences, and that emotions are expressed in different ways subject to the genders - yet you're finding it hard accepting that these are the differences that make women more emotional and prone to emotional responses?

I already stated that this difference in expression is exactly where the logic comes from: females are more likely to bypass the pause-think-analyze process and instead, readily/instantly connect with their emotional center (more white matter), while males are more likely to go through the pause-think-analyze process because of the neurological disconnect between both sides of the brain (word-center and emotional center).

What exactly was the problem again?

2 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
crackhaus:

I see.

So you agree there are differences, and that emotions are expressed in different ways subject to the genders - yet you're finding it hard accepting that these are the differences that make women more emotional and prone to emotional responses?

I already stated that this difference in expression is exactly where the logic comes from: females are more likely to bypass the pause-think-analyze process and instead, readily/instantly connect with their emotional center (more white matter), while males are more likely to go through the pause-think-analyze process because of the neurological disconnect between both sides of the brain (word-center and emotional center).

What exactly was the problem again?

No, I don't agree. This is your copy and paste interpretation that aims at proving that females are less likely to make sound decisions and this is se*xism at its worst.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 03, 2014
crackhaus:

An emotional response? Pffft...

This is good to know, now you understand why this conversation will lead nowhere - there are sources that support your view, and there are that much sources that support mine as well.

However I gotta ask, with the high number of female geniuses possessing over-the-top IQs - how many of these are recognized as world renowned inventors, scientists, renaissance artists, musical geniuses/composers, astronauts, painters, war tacticians, etc. etc.

Note:
I didn't imply there aren't any, although I'm having a hard time coming up with more than five names off the top of my head right now - I just ask that you make a men-women comparison (numbers) in the various fields above.

If you're being tiny objective, you would realize that these claims of women having higher IQs is more or less existent only on biased papers & researches.
Not like I'm trying to make this about superiority, but world history is a much better and justified precedent in claims as these.

I did not read your links! wink

Women have been told for ages that they were born to stay at home and push out babies. They were not only told to do so, they were even forced to do so. Gender equality will help them to catch up. wink wink wink

No more you are only good enough to have a place in the kitchen. No more bondage. smiley smiley smiley

By the way, IQ research has shown that there are slightly more males with an IQ above the average but they have also shown that male id*iots (men with an IQ below average) also outnumber women. smiley smiley

So next time, you pass a judgment on someone's ability to think reasonably and not based on emotions, consider the individual, not the gender. smiley
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Shirley07: 8:06pm On Nov 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

No, I don't agree. This is your copy and paste interpretation that aims at proving that females are less likely to make sound decisions and this is se*xism at its worst.
Don't mind him with his stupid interpretation. How does having more white matter equate to being more emotional?
Don't get me started on that stupid article he put up that implied brains with high blood flow are prone to emotional stress.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
Shirley07:

Don't mind him with his stupid interpretation. How does having more white matter equate to being more emotional?
Don't get me started on that stupid article he put up that implied brains with high blood flow are prone to emotional stress.

Like I said, people have always misinterpreted scientific findings as it suits them to either prove that they are better than other races or better than women.

This is nothing new.

However, the fact that girls outperform boys in ALL subjects, given equal opportunities, cannot be misinterpreted. wink

And nobody can deny that the most successful organizations have women (and men) in charge.

The opposite of logical is not emotional but illogical and there is no scientific prove that women are illogical.

The antonyms of emotional are apathetic, dull, impassive indifferent, numb, unaffecting, unenthusiastic, unexcited, unexciting, unmoving. It would be a tragedy if men were like this.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by tmosco(m): 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Like I said, people have always misinterpreted scientific findings as it suits them to either prove that they are better than other races or better than women.

This is nothing new.

However, the fact that girls outperform boys in ALL subjects, given equal opportunities, cannot be misinterpreted. wink

And nobody can deny that the most successful organizations have women (and men) in charge.

The opposite of logical is not emotional but illogical and there is no scientific prove that women are illogical.

The antonyms of emotional are apathetic, dull, impassive indifferent, numb, unaffecting, unenthusiastic, unexcited, unexciting, unmoving. It would be a tragedy if men were like this.

Dat is on d average but u will find out dat the first in d class is mostly men and at d last position is mostly men too. that still why most inventions and renounce people in most field are men and d criminals and tout are men too.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 03, 2014
tmosco:

Dat is on d average but u will find out dat the first in d class is mostly men and at d last position is mostly men too. that still why most inventions and renounce people in most field are men and d criminals and tout are men too.

Most human beings have an average IQ but there are more women in this group.

Comparatively few people have an IQ above the average. Men outnumber women in this group but not by far.

Comparatively few people have an IQ below average. Men outnumber women in this group, too but again not by much.

It means that you can never tell if someone is intelligent / logical / emotional / du*mb / cool by his / her gender.

These findings do by no means prove that men / women are innately more intelligent.
Upbringing shapes our brains too.

This is why it is wrong to say that women are naturally more suited or unable to do this or that and should do this instead of that; same for men.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by okotv(m): 9:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Proud to be your e-sister.

thank you

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part I by Dheartless: 11:39pm On Nov 03, 2014
ileobatojo:

There's no need for long story. Here you go. Here are excerpts followed by a link describing the MSCEIT test in great detail and the meaning of each aspect of it.

The study you quoted said women were better in the branch of managing emotions after controlling for age. That branch is described above.

You're welcome.
Managing
Emotions involves the participation of
emotions in thought and the ability to allow
thought to include emotions. Optimal levels of
emotional regulation likely will neither
minimize nor exaggerate emotion.
http://www.harrisconsult.com/files/MSCEIT
%20report.PDF

did actually see the above part of the article you read, that was posted by Nonso23?

1: managing emotion involves the PARTICIPATION of emotions in thought and to ALLOW thought to INCLUDE emotions.

2: OPTIMAL levels of emotional REGULATION likely will NEITHER MINIMIZE nor exaggerate emotion.

managing emotions involves being more affected by emotions even allowing it to affect your thoughts

women allow emotions more

regulation/managing emotions will likely not change the level of feelings of a person weither minimise or exergerate

women make no change in the effect of managing emotions in respect to their level of emotions or feelings at any given time

men don't allow emotions to affect their thought because they are not emotion managers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. / Help Save Baby Tomi / Father Names His Newborn Baby After President Buhari In Bauchi (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.