Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,552 members, 7,819,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days (13158 Views)

Army In Final Push Against Boko Haram In Gwoza, Sambisa, Goneri. / 2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / Chime Declares Support For Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 4:41am On Nov 01, 2014
Who has followed events in Enugu recently?

Politics of 2015 is imploding big time and Chime appears to be losing his political fortunes fast. His grip on things are just out of whack, fighting the national secretariat of the part with state chapter. Who has ever won like that.

Could someone pls tell him that Zenith branch in Enugu cannot enter into a fight with its headquarters.

On public perception, it is a shock that someone that seemingly has done well could be so despised in his last days. It is a case study for students of history and comparative politics. Here what an wawa son had to say "While I may not be privy to his political philosophy and accomplishments, I applaud Speaker Odo’s courage to defy the rule of engagements and muster the heart to untangle the tangled blind political webs of hand picking system of Governor Sullivan Chime. At the same time, I implore the weak minded followers and political yes-men of Mr. Chime to follow suite in splitting out of his servitude bondage. “Enugu State politics should not be up for sale, it should only be up for grabs”. That was the concept of Democracy as defined by the framers of the Constitution. These ping-pong ball politics of Mr. Chime have deprived Senator Ekweremadu the gubernatorial race which he was espoused to run. Yet he continued to chase him around in spite of his courage to take the other route to run for the office of Senate.  
Why should the electorates and the people of Enugu State bent on kowtowing to the governor as though he is our small god? These shenanigans persists because of the do nothing approach of the legislative body of Enugu State which allowed these systematic shuffling of cards and rearrangement of desks at the governor’s whim.
Democracy is the other way round, “not the government of one man by one man for one man.”
Enugu State must rise up to master its creeping paralysis, recharge its mental batteries to confront head on, the onslaughts of malignant manifestation of social and economic decay stemming from the makings of the gangsters and deep throats which they have voted into power. The ethic norm is spiced with impurity when the political destiny of our State is rested in the hands of one and only one man alone." Isaac Ike       

All of today's papers carry screening headlines of chime trying to wrestle his party to have his way. The man head correct so? Or heis an undercover for APC?

Chime Dares PDP.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=88827

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/chime-convenes-illegal-sec-meeting/192832/

http://leadership.ng/news/politics/388842/pdp-congress-intrigues-power-tussle-govs-others-go-broke
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 9:36pm On Nov 01, 2014
2015: Enugu youths caution aspirants to distance self from Chime, call Governor a liability By Daily Post Staff on November 1, 2014@dailypostngr

http://dailypost.ng/2014/11/01/2015-enugu-youths-caution-aspirants-distance-self-chime-call-governor-liability/
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 9:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
Chime having clearly lost round 1, mandated his puppet factional party chairman Ikeje Asogwa to call for a postponement and re-run of the party ward congress.

Is he PDP to unilaterally announce a postponement and rerun? All national officers and observers were in Enugu and observed a peaceful congress all round the State.

Someone pls prove me wrong: Chime don go kolo o!

We will just be watching.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by mej67: 10:12pm On Nov 01, 2014
Op, no. It is not Clara. With Chime`s criminal neglect of over 60% of Enugu people living in the rural areas to pave and paint the nucleus of Enugu urban, it is the spirit of the founding fathers of the State.

For over 7months, Council Chairmen have stopped capital investment projects. Just salaries which are sometimes delayed, sfterwhich all others are channeled Chime`s campaign and that of ifeomadiniru.

This is just the beginning. Efcc will soon gather all of them

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 10:25pm On Nov 01, 2014
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=192449

Congress well conducted - Aja, Acting State PDP Chairman

Congress postponed - Asogwa, Factional Chairman (Chime faction)
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by NWANICHODE: 10:26pm On Nov 01, 2014
I think he should just defect to APC and we will support him 100%.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 6:49am On Nov 03, 2014
ROUND 2:
http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201411030027.html/

Jonathan to meet with Chime, Ekweremadu Over Rift
3 November 2014 , By Celestine Okafor, Source: Independent (Lagos)
Abuja
Barring any last minute shift in plans, President Goodluck Jonathan will, on Thursday, meet with the Enugu State Governor, Sullivan Chime, and the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, at the Presidential Villa Abuja, where he is expected, as previously scheduled, to formally intervene and resolve the political differences between the duo.

The political difference ensuing between the duo stems from who picks the ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the Enugu West Senatorial District at the forthcoming senatorial primaries.

The meeting is said to be coming at the instance of President Jonathan a previous advise to him and to the leadership of the party by some concerned PDP leaders in Enugu State.

The party's leadership in Enugu believe unless the deep political skirmishes between the governor and Ekweremadu are resolved before the November pre-election party primaries in the state, Enugu may be engulfed in serious political bloodbath that may ultimately threaten the hold of the party in the state.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by o42austino(m): 8:28am On Nov 03, 2014
i think Chime is high on cheap weed by trying to impose his babe for senatorial election in the person of Ifeoma Nwobodo, that pure madness in his part and that has made Enugu people to hate him.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by signz: 8:54am On Nov 03, 2014
I read in Vanguard that Gej has given the govs charge over their respective state party machineries.

So Chime may just have the last laugh
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by egift(m): 9:06am On Nov 03, 2014
Chime did not even know how the Ward Congress was done Yesterday grin grin grin
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by maestroferddi: 9:28am On Nov 03, 2014
Enugu has a history of moving on ahead of former governors and godfathers cue Nwobodo and Nnamani.

Let's see how Chime would bulk the trend.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 3:23am On Nov 07, 2014
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by iamodenigbo1(m): 4:02am On Nov 07, 2014
egift:
Chime did not even know how the Ward Congress was done Yesterday grin grin grin
and you are happy,nothing like congress,they just announced the result in Abj,we waited no officials to conduct the congress
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by focus7: 5:00am On Nov 07, 2014
Vengeance for maltreating his impeached deputy. That one has said if the judgement of man did not favour him that God will judge. So Chime should face it, bury his pride and publicly apologise to the man for all the evil he did to him.

1 Like

Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2014
A DEVASTATED GOVORNOR

The inability of Governor Chime to swallow the hard pills handed down by the PDP boss on their move to reverse rules of engagement intensifies the obsessive nature of his totalitarian tendency. It seemed smooth and cozy when he retains the driver’s seat and poisonous drink when table turns around. By now the devastated Governor should have known that he is running out of gas and that any move less than turning himself in will lead to diminishing returns of eight years legacy of service to his people. It will become nonsense all over again going into a fight that yields no political fruition. He should spare the State the agony of going through fractious bunch and stay on the sidelines, a step likely to salvage the candidacy of his anointed candidate Mr. Ifeanyi Ugwuayi.   

There are times in our lives that one should conceive the notion that public interest trumps individual political ambition, if for any practical reasons, this is one of them. To connect my points, during 1960 election, Senator John Kennedy defeated Vice President Richard Nixon to become President of United States by 112,827 votes out of 68 million votes cast, the closest election even in today’s standard. A recount in this case could go either way yet, in spite of pressures exerted on Nixon by Republicans to call for recount, he refused because “I will not allow my Country to go through this mess he says, as he conceded a defeat”.  

Democracy sounds easy to speak but too hard to practice. Nigeria should understand the implications of combination of democracy and dictatorship. It’s like mixing palm oil and gasoline to drive a car, it wouldn’t just crank.  Mr. Chime had fought a good fight and served his State brilliantly, it’s time to step down with dignity otherwise the political climate will step him down in disgrace.

Isaac Ike          

__._,_.___
Posted by: Isaac Ike <issacike@gmail.com>
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
Those Who Are Too Clever May Sometimes Overreach Themselves.
Three of my articles in the last couple of weeks were on Governor Chime. After this one I will wait for two days and pick on someone else. But the recent turn of events makes me come back to what some people may describe as "my favorite whipping boy". It is looking as if Mr. Chime may not be the designated senator for Enugu West after all. His Excellency had zoned the senate seat to himself, but alas in the democracy for sale in Nigeria someone else had voiced a bigger bid than he. What have been Mr. Chime’s mistakes?
1.   Political ignorance or miscalculation, take your choice. As has been said before absolute power corrupts absolutely. Mr. Chime thought that he had absolute power and was exercising it ruthlessly. It became inevitable that he would soon misfire and misfire he did much quicker that anybody had expected. He imposed the local government chairmen on all LGA thereby offending many aspirants. He did not even think of allowing some other Enugu men and women of timber and caliber to participate in the selection. They felt their irrelevance and took it to heart. He supervised the impeachment of his deputy governor, to clear the way for others in his camp to seek higher offices. He forgot that he had made many enemies in his career and that it would take little to forge a team against him.
2.   Extreme selfishness. What might have hurt him more than anything else was the way and manner he “selected” the alleged PDP consensus gubernatorial candidate for Enugu. He was the only man in the room among his Nsukka boys. He wanted all honor and glory to be his and when the consensus candidate becomes governor, he would be beholding to nobody else but to Chime. Of course he forgot his own history. As if this was not bad enough he zoned the Enugu West senatorial seat to himself. In other words the 2015 governor would be beholding to him and he would be the sitting senator having dethroned the current Deputy Senate President. He was called for “reaching” as they say in basketball. Unfortunately there are only five seconds remaining in the game and if the shooter makes it Chime’s team would lose. We are all waiting now. A smarter person would have traded the governorship that no longer belonged to him for the senate seat. He would become the senator and the senator would become the governor, quid-pro-quo. But that would not be Mr. Chime, ofu onye a nasi unu abia (the one man who uses the royal “we” to refer to himself).
3.   His predecessors had followed this route before, governorship to senator, and were successful. But he did not realize that times had changed, that people had learned the lessons and had laid plans for this move and when he called the play, the opposition called their own play to stop it. He was trapped. Some people might add that Mr. Chime does not have the smarts of Mr. Chimaroke Nnamani and Mr. Jim Nwobodo. Or that those predecessors did not have as many enemies lying in wait.
What is Mr. Chime’s future? It depends on whether the shooter in game referred to above makes the shot or not. If he does not make it, Mr. Chime may yet survive. If he does, then Mr. Chime has two options: accept the defeat graciously and bid his time in PDP. He might receive an offer for a ministerial appointment or some reward. He may jump ship and go to another party. Since there are no other parties in Enugu his chances would be 1:1,000.
Those who are too clever sometimes overreach themselves.
Benjamin Obiajulu Aduba
Boston, Massachusetts
November 9, 2014
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by mrvitalis(m): 1:07pm On Nov 10, 2014
pls chime come to APC it is people like you that we need in our party a working governor
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
Folks,
The open letter below called it right for GovChime. If only
he has read and agreed with this group the damp political
atmosphere in his camp would have been avoided. This is 
called telling truth to power in a respectful fashion. If more
groups would shun sycophancy and stand up like
ECPW, Enugu state would not be in the news for the wrong 
reason. It is time to call for Gov Chime and advisers to read this 
letter again and adhere to its content. Going to another 
party will not only be disastrous, it will not get Gov
Chime to senate. Gov Chime should negotiate to save
the consensus candidate Ugwuanyi 
Dee jee nu
Ezejiofo Sunny Udeh
@ NYc 

http://247ureports.com/?p=57109
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 1:53pm On Nov 10, 2014
...And sms flying around Enugu yesterday...

As things fall apart for Sullivan, Ike Nike, Ikeje Asogwa visit Ekweremmadu, Ifeoma Nwobodo hid behind tinted glass. The very people that urged Chime to fight are deserting him. SHAME!!!
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2014
A balanced comment on the writeup
A DEVASTATED GOVERNOR from waawa land on the net

Brethren,

Deeje.

You should not count out anybody yet; this fight is just beginning. I see no devastation, not yet. If anyone is tired, let him get a sip of water and return to the battlefield. BTW, did the Governor ever buy the form for Senate contest; did the Senator remember to purchase one?! [LOL]

I know, it is quite a feat getting Mama Peace to Adoration. Father Mbaka must be smiling all the way to the source of Aqua Rapha, leaving Archbishop Emma Chukwuma scratching his jaw and dialing all Ekwermadu's private numbers smiley. Someone should remember "Oku na-ere ere"-o!

Holy Ghost.... FIRE!

Brother Sullivan Chime (Nwachinamere) has been counted out before. Check January 2011. INEC actually accepted the slate of candidates from the Nwodo's congress. I believe the case died in court, after late Justice Oby Nwodo wisely recused herself. Chime bounced back, and the rest is history. So, he should not be deemed “devastated”; neither should anyone deem my Senator “elevated”!

Waa!

The battle is just started. It will not be over until the very FAT lady sings. On moving to APGA, it is not a good idea; let them duke it out in PDP. Yes, I said that I want to know who is keeping Enugu State APGA microwave-ready. It will soon be clear, especially with Victor “Man about Cash” Umeh running for Senate. He needs all the cash he can soak in. He will want to sell Enugu State APGA to the highest bidder before jumping the sinking ship.

Here is the trouble: If he sells and within the month a higher court rules in favor of Maxi Okwu, game changer! This is just one reason why Sullivan Chime must NOT jump into the sinking ship called APGA, not now... we will save the ship, but not yet. There are other ways of killing this cat: I am not a lawyer, but at least 'one chance' is out there… if he REALLY wants to fight on. Think of the mystery of Vita Abba and his Houdini... is he sick abroad... where; is her running for HoR... did he buy the form; is he just tired... understandable; is he in town.. which town?! What REALLY happened?

Nuff said!

BREAKING NEWS: Mr. Tall Red Hat (Umeh) is allegedly endorsing Gburugburu! His handlers must prepare to push back on such a move—if it comes out anywhere that this man Umeh who is  holding APGA captive moves to associate with Gburugburu. Umeh offers poisoned chalice. He must be “stayed out” by any means possible. Someone should tell Brother Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi about the victims of Umeh: Uba, Soludo, Obi, and he now chews Obiano with ketchup!

Meanwhile, now that things are quietening down and the playing field re-leveled, after weeks of advantage to Team Consensus Gburugburu, all camps should be watchful. Those who think PDP primary is done, that “Gburugburu ejebego” should know this: an eventful day in politics is like a year in normal life! Besides Omeiheukwu, who could slow down his run, if pressed by DSP, Eugene Odo still looms large; he could strike from the House—as the Senators did in Abuja, and Anambra House too smiley.

Yep, we learn bad things fast!

It's now a matter of solid cash and Aso Rock... and how strong one considers his victory--as in smell blood smiley

However, the candidate to watch in the coming days is Brother Chinedu Onu, who is from the same 'hood as Brother Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. Chinedu could spring surprises. In a few months of popping up in our radar, he has come home with some bacon for Enugu West. No, Steve, not University of Agbaja, but close smiley! A couple of weeks of all-out media blitzkrieg could prop him up on the high platform of this leveled field of candidates. Then again, the delegates are still fluid, nothing etched in stone. Three North v. one West could be a mismatch!  And that's why I cautioned last year for Enugu North to study Anambra North and Peter Obi!

Anyway, after PDP ‘internals,’ there is APC. Okey Ezea is set to run a different kind of campaign that will shake the three pillars of our state. If he is ready to roll and APC Enugu State somehow gets its acts together, he (Ezea) will give PDP a good run. Peace Motors, less so. My only concern is that Okey stays out too much, making him a seasonal politician. He needs to retool. If he had stayed the course when he beat Governor Chime in court over a civil matter, he would have gone up in our radar. Alas, Brother Ben Nwoye is not making much waves. I still wonder why. WHY?! So, PDP it is – for now. But who? Who bought forms; who didn’t?

Let's go out and get front-seat tickets: the movie is just starting. Where will I be? Everywhere! Persons who stroll to the Shrine for soundings shall see me shining at the Shrine!

Ka anyi na-egekwe nti!

MOE
Everything else is embellishment

1 Like

Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by Unemadu: 2:55pm On Nov 11, 2014
Op u finally got what u wished for, u and ur partner mej67.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2014
Pls count me out of your ill luck. Biko kwa. I'm only tracking and keeping records

Unemadu:
Op u finally got what u wished for, u and ur partner mej67.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by Ugwumba60: 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2014
Dictator Chime thinks that he is smart, not knowing that Ekweremadu ( The Lion of Greater Awgu) is not asleep, Thumb up to Ikeoha Ndi Igbo.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by Unemadu: 6:28pm On Nov 11, 2014
otil1:

Pls count me out of your ill luck. Biko kwa. I'm only tracking and keeping records

Which records? All the things u have been vomiting that stinks?
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 2:04am On Nov 13, 2014
We badly needed and still need to witness a semblance of dynamic competition through the Chime VS Ekweremadu quagmire. If it can not happen in PDP, a second party then becomes an important compromise. Our prayers now should be for them to slug it out, adopting another party not excluded. A truly multiparty structure in Enugu State would lead to critical evaluation of the candidates, including their true accomplishments while in office, sources of wealth, and visions for the future. A struggle between PDP and another party would also minimize the prevailing pattern of imposing stooges on our people.

Recall that I was sad when the then governor Chimroke Nnamni imposed Sullivan Chime and other office holders (including Ike Ekweremadu) on Enugu people. I remained sad since 2011 when Governor Chime would also impose the occupiers of all the elective offices in Enugu State on the same people. And it pained me so much when same Sullivan Chime imposed the so-called consensus candidate in Ifeanyi Ugwunyi, his better qualities not withstanding. Thus, we must resist the idea of President Goodluck Jonathan from Balyelsa imposing candidates for Enugu people, regardless of who that person is. That is not democracy, folks; it is another name for dictatorship.

One more thing and it is in form of a question: If the Chime VS Ekweremadu contest is to end so soon, as the sharing of the loot would also end; how then can the ordinary masses truly benefit from the so-called dividend of democracy?

Blessings+

SKC

1 Like

Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 2:09am On Nov 13, 2014
SKC,

As to your suggestion of letting them square it off in the soapbox of which I have no problems with other the referenced concern, I do not believe Mr. Chime have the political will to put up a fight against the more energetic and well prepared Ekweremadu on a winner take all confrontation for obvious reasons: (a) the governor have travelled on smooth roads all his life and therefore have developed no strength. [b][/b]He was born with golden spoon his mouth. (b) As a product of anointment throughout his political career, stemming from State’s chief legal boss to the State’s Chief executive, he continued to live on the illusion that somehow he will wiggle his way to their usual resting ground “the office of Senate”. He has never confronted a serious opponent and to use a political machine like Senator Ekeremadu as the apparatus to do so on this hush-hush climate will become a political miscalculation. Do not forget: the decision to change the rule of engagement by president Jonathan last week came to him as a striking thunder and that’s the reason why I tagged him “a devastated Governor”, indeed, he was devastated. Where will he garner the energy to confront Ekeremadu who is already advancing to capture even his home town Udi? In all, who would want Ekweremadu to win without putting up a fight? Yes, it will amount to injustice to democracy and suppression of competition in open market system, the essential ingredient in democracy. FedEx made post office better, candidates Mitt Romney and Hilary Clinton made Barrack Obama better President.       

As it is now, the train has passed; they should wait for the next coach as PDP should consider dismantling their dictatorial systems of government to allow people’s choice prevail.                      

Isaac Ike is from Ihe, not Dr.  Ike of Nsukka.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by naijaking1: 2:25am On Nov 13, 2014
otil1:
We badly needed and still need to witness a semblance of dynamic competition through the Chime VS Ekweremadu quagmire. If it can not happen in PDP, a second party then becomes an important compromise. Our prayers now should be for them to slug it out, adopting another party not excluded. A truly multiparty structure in Enugu State would lead to critical evaluation of the candidates, including their true accomplishments while in office, sources of wealth, and visions for the future. A struggle between PDP and another party would also minimize the prevailing pattern of imposing stooges on our people.

Recall that I was sad when the then governor Chimroke Nnamni imposed Sullivan Chime and other office holders (including Ike Ekweremadu) on Enugu people. I remained sad since 2011 when Governor Chime would also impose the occupiers of all the elective offices in Enugu State on the same people. And it pained me so much when same Sullivan Chime imposed the so-called consensus candidate in Ifeanyi Ugwunyi, his better qualities not withstanding. Thus, we must resist the idea of President Goodluck Jonathan from Balyelsa imposing candidates for Enugu people, regardless of who that person is. That is not democracy, folks; it is another name for dictatorship.

One more thing and it is in form of a question: If the Chime VS Ekweremadu contest is to end so soon, as the sharing of the loot would also end; how then can the ordinary masses truly benefit from the so-called dividend of democracy?

Blessings+

SKC 

SKC Ogbonnaya is that really you
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 5:55am On Nov 13, 2014
Why Enugu PDP consensus arrangement failed

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/features/policy-a-politics/186408-why-enugu-pdp-consensus-arrangement-fails

GREED, insincerity and personal interests have been blamed for the collapse of the consensus arrangement of the Enugu State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The source added that while party members were working to arrive at “suitable candidates” that could fly the flag of the party in the elections, Governor Sullivan Chime was allegedly working to “plant his surrogates in the various elective offices.”
For instance, while he  (Chime) was said to be positioning himself to go to the Senate for Enugu West Senatorial zone to replace incumbent
Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, he was at the same time, plotting to get the Enugu east senatorial ticket of the party for his erstwhile Chief of Staff, Mrs Ifeoma Nwobodo. Mrs Nwobodo though
married to an Nkanu man is his sister from Udi.
  In Awgu, Aninri and Oji River federal constituency, the governor is also said to be fronting for his in-law, said to be married to his first daughter for the position to enable him replace incumbent, Toby Okechukwu.
  The situation the source said is the same for Enugu north and south federal constituency, where he is allegedly fronting his first cousin, Chime Oji to replace incumbent, Offor Chukwuegbo. Oji, who is doing his first tenure at the State House of Assembly,  he is the Deputy Speaker of the House.
  For Enugu east/Isiuzo federal constituency, the governor is also said to be sympathetic to his in-law and council chairman to the Enugu East local government, Prince Cornelius Nnaji to replace, Ambassador Kingsley Ebeyi. 
  The same is the case in Nkanu East/West federal constituency, where the governor is said to be promoting his immediate past commissioner for Lands and bosom friend Emeka Ujam to replace incumbent, Princess Peace Nnaji.
  For Enugu north senatorial zone, he is said to have endorsed his erstwhile commissioner for transport, Chukwuka Utazi and Ikechukwu Ugwuegede, his immediate past Commissioner for Capital Territory
Development Authority to replace Patrick Asadu for Nsukka/Uzouwani federal constituency.  Joe Mamel, his former Commissioner for Tourism is being promoted to take over at Udi/Ezeagu federal constituency, against incumbent Ogbuefi Ozomgbachi.
At the same time, he was said to have grip of those who would return to the state House of Assembly in 2015, having promised to “guarantee them return ticket after the successful impeachment of Sunday Onyebuchi as Deputy Governor”.
  The source added: “ Is it a family affair?  It cannot be democracy any longer if one man decides to call the shots. These were developments that scuttled the consensus arrangement for the PDP in Enugu state. If there was opportunity for stakeholders in each of the zones and to select among the contenders, it would have worked, but nobody wants to align with an arrangement that is against the collective will of the people”.
  The source stated that though some leaders and politicians in the state had secretly advised against the plan, they decided to show openly their “disdain to it when they openly began to obtain the nomination and expression of interest forms of the party to vie for offices when they discovered that the governor was not ready to bulge”.
  But Chime had insisted that the field was open to anyone who might want to contest, stressing that it had always been the practice in Enugu PDP “ to consult to see if we can agree amongst ourselves on who should actually represent us at all levels, from House of Assembly to governorship”.
Chime harped on the need for the party to come together at all levels to agree on a candidate, saying it would reduce acrimony and less strenuous.
  For now, the consensus option has totally failed as members of the party desiring to contest one position or the other in the coming elections have obtained forms and undergone the screening of the party.
  Last week, about 100 aspirants were screened by the  Bala Kaoje screening committee of the party for the 24 seats in the state House of Assembly. These include 18 serving members of the House who were among the large number of aspirants.
  The number which included female aspirants, irrespective of the officially approved fees of N1.2m, is said to have been paid by the aspirants to obtain the expression of interest form.
None of the other elective positions available in the state presently has less than four aspirants contesting for it including the governorship seat, which Chime had claimed a consensus had been reached.
  At least, four aspirants, including Senator Ayogu Eze, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Speaker Eugene Odoh and Chief Chinedu Onu, all from the PDP and Enugu north senatorial zone, obtained forms and are campaigning vigorously for the number one slot in the state.
  A chieftain of the party, Chief Jerry Nnamani said of the development: “We thank God that the consensus arrangement failed.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 6:41am On Nov 13, 2014
http://247ureports.com/enugu-pdp-crisis-chime-cj-plot-kangaroo-exparte-order/

Enugu PDP Crisis: Chime, CJ Plot Kangaroo Exparte Order
by 247UREPORTS
November 13, 2014NewsNo Comments0 views

There were speculations in Enugu Wednesday that Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State and his loyalists in the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, may have approached the State Chief Judge, Justice Innocent Umezulike to make an exparte order against party’s Ward Congresses conducted in the state on November 1.
Chime was said to have allegedly bribed the Chief Judge issue to ex-parte order restraining the PDP national executive from recognizing the three-man Ward Delegates elected during the November 1 Congresses conducted under the supervision of Elder David Aja as the Acting State Chairman of the party.
There are fears that this might have signaled a total breakdown in the peace talks between the two warring camps in the Enugu PDP and the seeming truce experienced in the last days resulting in a rancour-free congress to elect National Delegates from the 17 local governments of the State.
Sources close to the governor’s political camp said that the court injunction had become the last option left to the governor and his supporters who appear to have lost out completely in the battle for the control of the PDP delegates for the party’s primaries in the State.
According to the source, the governor held a meeting with the State Chief Judge, Justice Umezulike Wednesday at the Governor’s Lodge where they agreed to procure the injunction having failed to get the party to nullify the Ward Congress, which the governor’s group refused to take part in penultimate Saturday.
Justice Umezulike who is reputed for giving such “cash and carry” questionable interim orders  had been queried by the National Judicial Council, NJC several times  over such acts.
He was lampooned by the Court of Appeal when he gave a similar order restraining the National Chairman of All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Chief Victor Umeh from parading himself as leader of the party . The injunction was generally condemned my eminent legal practitioners in the country, who alleged that the order may have been bought with a huge sum of money from the CJ’s court.
The CJ was also accused of serious compromise in the infamous removal of the former State Deputy Governor, Mr.SundayOnyebuchi, from office.  He was accused of setting up a kangaroo impeachment panel,  which returned a guilty verdict against Onyebuchi even when the accusation of gross misconduct leveled against the deputy governor was not proved beyond reasonable doubt at the impeachment trial. The panel also barred journalists from from covering the proceedings of the trial in an episode better known in the media as chicken impeachment.
Text messages were circulated within the state Wednesday evening informing the residents to troop out to Justice Umezulike’s Court to listen to the injunction, which had allegedly been bought by the governor.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 9:16am On Nov 13, 2014
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by Ugwumba60: 9:44am On Nov 13, 2014
otil1:
Imoke,Chime,Suswam May Soon Dump The PDP

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/imoke-chime-suswam-may-soon-dump-the-pdp.99859/

Thank you for the updates, we the Greater Awgu People shall continue to resist the dictator called chime.
Re: 2015: Enugu Imploding, Chime's Political Fortune In Final Days by otil1: 6:30pm On Nov 13, 2014
"The Isaac Ike of Ihe", I salute...

I cannot agree any more where you wrote,

“In all, who would want Ekweremadu to win without putting up a fight? Yes, it will amount to injustice to democracy and suppression of competition in open market system, the essential ingredient in democracy. FedEx made post office better, candidates Mitt Romney and Hilary Clinton made Barrack Obama better President.” 

True, true...neither Sullivan Chime nor Ike Ekweremadu has faced any serious electoral competition in recent years. In fact, the last time we witnessed competition in Enugu politics as a whole was 1999 when Chimaroke faced GNG. That year (1999), Sullivan was nothing but a yeoman hoping for anyone who could remember that his last name was the same Chime of Chime Avenue. On the other side, Ekweremadu could not even defeat a political novice in Tony Nwonye of Nenwe then of APP in the chairmanship election of Aninri Local Government. Since them anything any of them has held has been by appointment, anointment or imposition.

But I must not fail to admit that Senator Ekweremadu has earned my respect in the dogged way he has executed his campaign thus far. True. It shows the man has energy for competition both at any election and in the Senate proper. But expect that respect to erode fast if he becomes a political sepulcher by doing exactly the same thing he was (or is) accusing Chime of doing: Imposition of candidates. The point is that Governor Sullivan Chime should not be imposing individuals on our people. President Goodluck Jonathan should not be imposing individuals in the states, either. Period!

Emergence of true internal democracy (intra-party) and any semblance of dynamic competition at inter-party level is a win-win for the candidates and the deserving people of Enugu State. As you, Isaac Ike of Ihe stated, “FedEx made Post Office better, candidates Mitt Romney and Hilary Clinton made Barrack Obama better President.”  Let me also add that James Nwobodo became one of the best governors in history of Nigeria because of the competition between him and his kinsman and mentor Christian Onoh in the old Anambra State. And guess what: both Enugu legends eventually grew to admire each other for the import of their visions and struggle. They fought a clean fight made possible through two parties.

I also read and can understand where and why the Oracle, MOE, was advising Chime not to decamp to another party. It is true Chime may likely lose but the governor does not really have to offer himself as candidate for the senate in the new party, considering that his campaign structure appears not to be battle ready. In fact, Sullivan Chime can even change the equation by nominating a strong candidate from the largest local government in Enugu West, Awgu LGA, interesting the most deserving of them all, since the people of Awgu LGA has never produced a senator, governor, or even minister. Win or lose, it could be a blessing in disguise for Mr. Chime: Emergence of two parties in Enugu State will without doubt reignite competition in its body politics and potentially basterdize the reigning culture of imposition that has been a clog to the development of my people. And Chime will forever be remembered for it…After all, what else does he want? Legacy. As I noted in an earlier article, former governor Bola Tinubu will forever be eulogized for deepening democracy in Nigeria by ensuring the emergence of a seemingly two serious parties in Nigeria.

Blessings+

SKC Ogbonnia

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Recovers 147 Bomb Explosives In Borno / FG Uncovers Fraud In 13 Revenue Generating Agencies / INEC To Ban Use Of Smart Phones At Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.