Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations (101272 Views)

Women Representation Under Buhari Poorer Than Past Administrations – UN / Obasanjo, Yaradua, Jonathan's Govts To Account For Recovered Loot- Court / See The Names Of Those Who Will Probe Yaradua And Jonathan's Administration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Demdem(m): 3:43am On Nov 08, 2014
Ezemust:
i shouldn't have quoted u.

Coward. Next time, don't dish out what u can't receive.
Very foolish thing.

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by seedsower(m): 3:50am On Nov 08, 2014
barcanista:
You seem not to understand macro economics and governance.

1. The Price of Oil was off-shooting than what was obtained during Obj's era. Yet we didn't experience any growth in Foreign Reserve
2. When Yaradua took over, price of Oil was HIGH and our reserve was going higher and Higher to peak at all time high. It started to dip during the recession, when the oil fell at $30 per barrel. Even at that it wasn't that depleted, and the Change in External Debt was $4 Million
3. Jonathan took over power, the Oil price was soaring, rather than reserve to soar like other regimes, it deepened. Rather than him to take care of external debt, he borrowed more.

Who is the worst administrator?

Op. In line with the above.

By the time an Igbo man steps in as the president, maybe Nigeria will be okay.
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by yashau(m): 4:45am On Nov 08, 2014
automaticcars:
^
^^
^^^

The three posters after op are very stup.id. Why attacking the op instead of saying any disagreement they have with the data the op has given us?

You guys are very fooli.sh. Dumb and fooli.sh indeed.
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by yashau(m): 4:57am On Nov 08, 2014
Babangida.............C6
Buhari...................C5
Abacha..................D7
Abdulsalami...........C4
Obasanjo...............C4
Yar'adua................B2
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is w

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by seguntijan(m): 5:12am On Nov 08, 2014
Opiosko:
Lol! It's not about having access to more money, but what u are doing with the money. How much has GeJ used to reform ur amajiri terrorists recruitment camps to rescue northern children and give them a future?.. How much has been spent in reforming our military to help counter Buhari islamic insurgency?.....
That is the reason why he hasn't find lasting solution to the issue so that he and Oritshejafor can keep laundering money as his wife did when he was Bayelsa atate governor, so whenever we asked him where our money is, hw will just tell us that he spent it on military. Jonathan has embezzle a lot in the name of security.

4 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by cellors: 5:58am On Nov 08, 2014
Chris95:
If u ask me Obasanjo did more looting dan anyoda administration.... did u knw dat during his tenure dia was a tym USA came and bought crude oil worth over $100 billion dollars 4rm Nigeria and dat was when Nigeria's external reserve shot up, pls take note...its nt as if he did any magic. And he ended leaving $45 billion dollars I wonder wat happened to d oda $55 billion dollars :/

Barcanista, see this warped reasoning. Isn't this guy a genius from the reverse? LOL
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by cellors: 6:00am On Nov 08, 2014
dahmelawlah:
if there is no percentage change in spending year on year from OBJ to GEJ, then why is there so much percentage change in budgetary allocations?

May your days be long jare
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Ifebazz(m): 6:01am On Nov 08, 2014
barcanista:
I am a fool because I am taking my time to educate Nigerians? We all know who the fool is here
'Am' before 'I'. Don't APC teach you guys English before feeding you with anti Jonathan cum PDP lies at least?

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Remarkable: 6:15am On Nov 08, 2014
lol when I said the OP is devoid of intellectual discourse, I knew what I was saying... if you are unfortunate enough to check all his threads, you will see that he offers no analytical skills, debating skills... nothing whatsoever! Now, there is no problem with that, but what bugs me is how such a person wants to pass himself off as a wise man... no wonder he says his posts are for the gullible (like the poster that posted before this comment of yours); those whom, due to lack of knowing better, will swallow his lies and deceit...

My workload is easing up iin the near future, his oily butt-om will be stripped bare to expose all his lies.

Chere m, na m na-abia...

[quote author=IyfeNamikaze post=27816011][/quote]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by segnys007(m): 6:17am On Nov 08, 2014
Mogidi:

Not forgetting the other presidents didn't have the same dynamics GEJ is governing under.

Nigeria did not become Africa's economic power house because Gej is imprudent.
Which Africa economic power house? Get your head of the f u *king cloud!
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by doffman: 6:22am On Nov 08, 2014
Odutodaiwa:

Barcanista, seriously how do you cope dealing with all the brain dead ediots you are responding to. Honestly, I do not have the patience to respond to the TANoids and saTANists. I cannot teach dullards even if you offer me all the billions in this world. For me, what I owe Nigeria is to mobilise my household to kick out this mad man of a president come 14th February 2015.

Enough is enough.
Seriously,I salute that barcanisa, the guy is very genius.
For those satanist TAN,we know there problems.
Barcanista should ignore their post and focus on digging out of the clueless lies.we are learning greatly.
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by segnys007(m): 6:31am On Nov 08, 2014
datolee:

Please Sir, I'm not a spokesperson for GEJ. My stand is that we must play politics devoid of distorted fact, in worst cases outright lies and selling them as truth. Moreover we should stop re-packaging old time coupist as the Messiah of our time
You're not the spokesman for GEJ, yet you had add your last sentence! You're not indeed!

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by segnys007(m): 6:36am On Nov 08, 2014
datolee:
First of all, I must thank barcanista for presenting facts, My position has been, if you must campaign, please do so with facts and not some lies. (Please lets cut out insult and debate like matured people, we will have so much to learn, the only winner here is Nigerians who will become more enlighten and take our government to task)

I'm not here to defend the government, but lets go

1. Before talking about external debt, we must first talk about the revenue and expenditure under these government. We must know that Nigeria's expenditure has been increases on yearly bases, has revenue kept the same pace?

Lets talk about aggregate expenditure from 2004 (the one I could get my hands on)

2004 expenditure was 1.79 trillion

2005 = 1.799 trillion Naira

2006 = 1.876 trillion naira

2007 = 2.266 trillion naira

2008 = 2.492 trillion

2009 = 2.870 trillion

2010 = 4.608 trillion

2011 = 4.226 trillion

As a matter of fact the total expenditure on recurrent expenses was more than the total expenditure in 2007

http://www.slideshare.net/statisense/emperical-analysis-of-nigeria-budget

So my point is this, we have more commitment now than we had during Yaradua and Obj times yet the revenue haven't so much increased (I haven't the fact right now). So the increase in debt is because the government is faced with more expenses, GEJ expended in 2011 about 2 times the expenditure of OBJ in 2007.

By the way, from your post, I would think that GEJ have not done too bad in terms of external debt and here is my analysis

After paying off Nigeria's debt through the paris club whatever, OBJ still borrowed $3.3 billion

Since 2009 that GEJ has been in office, the FG has borrowed $2.42 billion (6.36 - 3.94)

2) When we talk about external reserve depletion, we must look at the value of the Naira! By refusing to devalue the Naira during the tennure of SLS as CBN governor, Nigeria has been using the external reserve to defend the naira... case in point http://www.nigeria-news-world.com/2013/09/i-will-defend-naira-with-reserves-sanusi.html#.VFxC7_mUf-E

As a matter of fact, using external reserve to defend the naira was the brainchild of SLS so much so that the external reserve started raising again once he was removed from the office https://www.nairaland.com/1847921/aftermath-sanusis-sack-foreign-reserve

Here is naira exchange to dollar history https://www.nairaland.com/498412/nigeria-exchange-rates-dollar-history

So let me recap my point

1) External debt increased because we have more expenditure and revenue haven't kept the pace (still trying to find Nigeria's revenue history) plus the issue of theft of crude and output disruptions http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-31/nigeria-finance-ministry-says-revenue-gap-may-reach-12-billion.html

2) GEJ haven't done so bad with borrowing, infact, OBJ borrowed more than him

3) External reserve was deplated because SLS prefer defending the Naira with external reserve than devaluing the naira

I hope we will as usual, keep it a clean debate. Thanks
ask your self, why the recurrent expenditure is so high! Only then would you understand, what he meant by saying with nothing to show for it. Or do think a country would show any meaningful development when recurrent expenditure is such a large percentage of it's budget?
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 08, 2014
I am not a fan of GEJ but truth be told the constant depletion of the external reserve in resent times is due to massive presure to devalue the naira. We hv been advised by the IMF/world bank to devalue the naira for it to reflect its true state base on demand,supply,economic growth etc. So what the government is doing is taking funds from the external reserve to fund imports and foreign investment repatriation. My people this policy would be reviewed after the election. From analyst views the actual value of the naira is about N200/$. Thus as an economist GEJ is doing the right thing for now becase if we devalue d Naira it will lead to inflation, low investor confidence, low FDI etc

On the external debt I will say d government is modest. The government should use the debt judiciously.
I would love this admistration to focus on infrastructure development and improve our education system

2 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by doffman: 6:40am On Nov 08, 2014
AdeCisco:
@barcanista " Never argue with fools 'cos people in the rear view won't distinguish the difference between you two" ( in Jay-Z's voice)

Take substance over form always!

Being right or being wrong is a function of time. Just save the thread and pray for life to know the answers in future.

We are just as good and intelligent as the leaders we follow.

God has given the rulership of this world to the devil for some time so why argue your life to death? It is God that has used the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. If not who is GEj?

True talk!
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 6:51am On Nov 08, 2014
karlmax2:
that is their behaviour they hate facts because they thrive on falsehood.when they are presented with facts that they can't disprove they result to insult.this reserve his shouting about was shared between fg,state and local government but instead of him to ask his state and local government that is closer to him who he voted into power to provide all his basic amenities to account for the share they collect from the reserves. his trying to lay the blame of the doorstep of fg.
..'THEY HATE FACTS BECAUSE THEY THRIVE ON FALSEHOOD'..for real?? Which Govt said that the chibok scandal was a scam? Which govt made the false boko-haram cease-fire deal?? Which govt vehemently assumed '16' > '19' ?? Which govt made the statement that we have already procured vaccines and are fully ready to combat it only for Ebola to come and almost ravaged us?? Is it not a PDP govt, were a PDP chieftain(Alh. Lawal Keita) made a deleterious statement that the North were gonna frustrate the hell out of GEJ should he re-contest; and you all PINNED it on GMB?? E b like sey na mucous(catarrh) na eem make up the grey matter of ya brain

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by InvertedHammer: 6:52am On Nov 08, 2014
Opiosko:
Macro econs or Micro econs, my point is that these presidents faced different challenges and GeJ's is one that has not been seen before. How much have we spent on military hardwares alone to upgrade our military in the past few yrs?..

Minimal fund was expended to upgrade the military.
Their book said billions was spent. But the military said the got nothing and had resorted to running than I facing BH.

The idiotic thing is that you are defending an administration that cares less if you live or die. When you are done, you can pat yourself on the back and continue to live in squalor while your future and the future of your children are mortgaged to economic hawks.

By the way, GEJ just got additional billions to fight BH, extra-budgetary if I may add.

I don't live in Nigeria. I have never belonged to any political party in Nigeria. My take on the issue is an objective appraisal of the issues at hand from a neutral standpoint.

I think APC folks lack common sense if they think Buhari can win any election in Nigeria. In 2015, Nigerians have a tough choice to make between a slow-poke and a religious bigot. None of them should have been fielded in the first place if we consider the quality of other better alternatives that lack the wherewithal, conviction and "balls" to contest.
/
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 7:01am On Nov 08, 2014
grin
barcanista:
The person you quoted was being sarcastic. It is either you can't comprehend or you have no clue. The progressives are attentively READING and their positions will be known. You and your likes should stop Cheer-leading without any substance
..blind follower-ship, that's what they do..
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 7:14am On Nov 08, 2014
viczing:
Whats shall it profit barcanista after all this post come feb 14 gej wins again. I hope you don't show up your sorry ass again here on NL.

You fighting to make a point why not go to TV organised forum and table that making silly thread that your fellow janjanweed will only support you. Get a life.
.. undecidedtrying to educate a dunce like you is akin to doing civic duty! Until you and I start grasping the correlation between Micro/Macro- Economics and Governance; then the Govt would stop 'calling' figures for us, as NOI is doing...we've the best Economy on Paper, but is it reflecting on the situation of the Average Masses Think TANoids!
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 7:23am On Nov 08, 2014
Obiagelli:

You must be a clown, you talked about recession hitting government hard in 2011 and i asked what the price of crude was in 2011, lets see how hard it hit our government.
I see you like shadows a lot, blanket statement don't do it for me. Bye

Barcanista, he is all yours.
.. grin Obiagelli, did u actually mean that he's Barcanista's prey to the feasting?? Adonblevit! *In Terry G's voice*..'Test the microphone yaaaay!!'
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 7:31am On Nov 08, 2014
Firefire:
Bacanista,

I am here to support my comrade Detolee.
.. undecidedwhat's your Qualification?? Are you an expert in Economics?? I c!!! You want to 'SUPPORT' him to 'DERAIL' the thread as he pleaded earlier on?? No way!! tongue
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 08, 2014
Statistics or not,I think its time for CHANGE# ;DHolding a mega phone and standing on the highest level of an MNT mast shouting#CHANGE# grin
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 7:48am On Nov 08, 2014
grin
datolee:

Be guided, the budget wasn't for purchase or arms alone!! it is total defence budget for a year which in all honesty isn't very much when you compare to other countries and the devil we are currently fighting.

If we must ask questions, where are the weapons purchased under OBJ and Yaradua,.. the simple answer is that when you minus the recurrent expenditure, there is little left to buy modern weaponry
.. undecidedbe guarded as well..have you forgotten that it was under these C-In-C that BH grew rapidly in leaps and bounds; boasting of Sophisticated
weapons and APC's in their ranks FACTS: They were stolen from the Military, under your C-In-C's nose
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 08, 2014
Ifebazz:

'Am' before 'I'. Don't APC teach you guys English before feeding you with anti Jonathan cum PDP lies at least?
Your English Teacher need flogging. Re-read that statement again within the context of the poster I quoted. Don't be quick to type

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 08, 2014
LouisVanGaal:
grin.. undecidedbe guarded as well..have you forgotten that it was under these C-In-C that BH grew rapidly in leaps and bounds; boasting of Sophisticated
weapons and APC's in their ranks FACTS: They were stolen from the Military, under your C-In-C's nose
Since Jonathan came onboard, verything started shooting up with nothing to show. Billions for the Military, yet they complain of poorly armed and remuneration problem. Almost a trillion for SURE-P yet nothing on ground to justify it. The Subsidy Bill is +/- a trillion despite the partial subsidy removal, yet none of the indicted people are in jail, instead some are funding his campaign. They said they are "defending the naira", which every administration does yet the Naira is depreciating rapidly. Despite the High cost of Oil we are still in bigger debt and lesser reserve relative to his two predecessors

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 08, 2014
LouisVanGaal:
.. undecidedtrying to educate a dunce like you is akin to doing civic duty! Until you and I start grasping the correlation between Micro/Macro- Economics and Governance; then the Govt would stop 'calling' figures for us, as NOI is doing...we've the best Economy on Paper, but is it reflecting on the situation of the Average Masses Think TANoids!
That is the point. How can a government wake up and say the economy is making progress while the people are getting poorer not even stagnant? NOI is very good at cooking figures, I begin to wonder why she was fired in 2006 by President Obasanjo.

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by ewatts(m): 8:04am On Nov 08, 2014
Opiosko:
U are really working hard spending sleepless nights to earn ur next pay. I wish u could channel such effort to something that's worth it.
This is worth. I learnt. Hope you did too?
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 08, 2014
InvertedHammer:

Minimal fund was expended to upgrade the military.
Their book said billions was spent. But the military said the got nothing and had resorted to running than I facing BH.

The idiotic thing is that you are defending an administration that cares less if you live or die. When you are done, you can pat yourself on the back and continue to live in squalor while your future and the future of your children are mortgaged to economic hawks.

By the way, GEJ just got additional billions to fight BH, extra-budgetary if I may add.

I don't live in Nigeria. I have never belonged to any political party in Nigeria. My take on the issue is an objective appraisal of the issues at hand from a neutral standpoint.

I think APC folks lack common sense if they think Buhari can win any election in Nigeria. In 2015, Nigerians have a tough choice to make between a slow-poke and a religious bigot. None of them should have been fielded in the first place if we consider the quality of other better alternatives that lack the wherewithal, conviction and "balls" to contest.
/
I assume that you made an innocent statement from your fair judgement. Please can you tell us what makes GMB the bold?
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by LouisVanGaal(m): 8:12am On Nov 08, 2014
datolee:

Valid question, Do I want change.. hell yes, but I have my conditions

1. I would rather GEJ continue than Buhari

2. If we must criticize this governement, let's do so with facts not lies

3. and if you must promote your candidate, please don't sell lies

I'm clear now sir?
.. undecidedhave you ever tried for once to type 'GEJ' on google and see the results?? grin such as 'Incompetent' , 'Clueless', 'Corrupt' , 'Irresponsible' and etc I saw you earlier before NOW as an erudite! But all has waned cos of a statement..'I would rather Continue with GEJ than Buhari'...it's dude like you that REUTERS were actually referring to, when they insulted us and our so-called democracy...isn't it crass stupidity??, you are complaining bitterly about a 'situation'..kk, do something about it, and you saying you would manage it!

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Albishir: 8:18am On Nov 08, 2014
Plse re u the finance minister of dis nation? Where did get ur statistics from?
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by fxskye: 8:27am On Nov 08, 2014
karlmax2:
i hope you know that a countries external debt includes those borrowed by states ? And Nigerians know the states that has mogaged the life of their unborn children with loans to service the ego of a certain Tinubu.this debt includes the one FASHOLE collected for school project he didn't do and ran to court when asked to account for it the one fayemi used to buy that 50million naira bed was also part of the debt and the ameachis private jet too.
So don't make it seem as if the debt is federal government alone .it includes the loans fg signed off for states

I could understand that u can read between the lines let alone reading within tin lines.

The op broke it down to FG n all 36 states n FCT as well.

So y beefing d op?

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Polaris, GTB And Access Bank Branches Set Ablaze In Lekki / Video Of Peter Obi’s Son, Gregory Oseloka As An Actor In US Sparks Reactions / Meet Abdulaziz Abdulaziz Who Exposed Kemi Adeosun's Fake NYSC Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.