Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,304 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle (1294 Views)

Innoson Delivers Official Car To Ben-bruce (photos) / Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. / World's Poorest President's Pictures And His Beautiful Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by dotman112: 7:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
[img]http://2.bp..com/-Ui2ZvBGebXY/VFz5qLRX2JI/AAAAAAAAKSM/BVaAwzJvJ2M/s280/Mujicas-car.jpg[/img]

He lives on a farm, and his official car is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. He donates 90% of his monthly salary to charity. President of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, is not your average president.

It is commonplace to see some presidents of countries living lavish lifestyles, and in some extreme cases, looting their countries’ finances for personal gain. But not Mujica.

He is commonly known as the world’s “poorest” president because of his austere lifestyle.

Mujica rejected the luxurious presidential residence the government provided for him and instead opted to live on his wife’s farm located on a dirt road outside the country’s capital. They have no domestic workers – they do all the farm work by themselves. The only staff they have are two police officers.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-e4lS_uwZ-t0/VFz56jsODtI/AAAAAAAAKSU/BSjohHmP9wQ/s280/Mujica-1.jpg[/img]

In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was $1,800, the value of his Beetle.

In an interview with BBC, he said:

“I’ve lived like this most of my life, I can live well with what I have

I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t feel poor. Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle, and always want more and more

This is a matter of freedom. If you don’t have many possessions then you don’t need to work all your life like a slave to sustain them, and therefore you have more time for yourself…”

Mujica also has unique views about poverty alleviation. In the 2012 Rio+20 summit he stated:

But what are we thinking? Do we want the model of development and consumption of the rich countries? I ask you now: what would happen to this planet if Indians would have the same proportion of cars per household than Germans? How much oxygen would we have left?

“Does this planet have enough resources so seven or eight billion can have the same level of consumption and waste that today is seen in rich societies? It is this level of hyper-consumption that is harming our planet.

An Arab sheikh recently offered him $1 million for his Beetle. Mujica is currently considering the offer, and says that if he does sell it, he will donate the money to charity.

Source [url]http://.com/thread/1294/world%E2%80%99s-poorest-president-who-lives-on-a-farm--and--whose-official-car-is-a-beetle.html[/url]

1 Like

Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by gede7744(f): 7:50pm On Nov 07, 2014
abi

that is d best way to live

after all nobody will be after him to assasinate or asking him to declared his asset nor will he sleep with one eye opened

don't u see how old he is? how many presidents are that old?

they would ve died from foods that are too rich for their health
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by engrfcuksmtin(m): 8:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
This can never happen in Nigeria I SWEAR..
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by Tee99(m): 8:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
I bet this man sleeps better, eat better and live better than all the mu.mu leaders we have here
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by mizjules(f): 8:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
Such humility!! Very selfless .. God bless your heart. Dear Lord help me to be humble so that I can be honoured later Amen
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 8:46pm On Nov 07, 2014
He can afford to stay with only two policemen cause they dont have islamic fundamentalist who would send him to the great beyond for not keeping a beard
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 07, 2014
engrfcuksmtin:
This can never happen in Nigeria I SWEAR..

Nigeria 2027..President Madu today made his first public statement on taking office....

Fellow Nigerians, thank you for voting me into office.I promise to run people oriented programmes. I also,as promised, will be using my one room apartment in Kubwa as my official residence and my 1993 VW Golf as my official car. Thank you and God bless you....

And in other news....President Madu's wife has filed for divorce on the grounds of ''irreconcilable differences''

Wait...newsflash....The President's party filed an application at the Federal High Court Abuja seeking to declare President Madu insane...

Stay tuned....

P.S...

Him he kept for his service, and when he had bathed himself in clear water, he opened a great painted chest, and from it he took the leathern tunic and rough sheepskin cloak that he had worn when he had watched on the hillside the shaggy goats of the goatherd. These he put on, and in his hand he took his rude shepherd's staff.

And the little page opened his big blue eyes in wonder, and said smiling to him, 'My lord, I see thy robe and thy sceptre, but where is thy crown?'

And the young King plucked a spray of wild briar that was climbing over the balcony, and bent it, and made a circlet of it, and set it on his own head.

'This shall be my crown,' he answered.

And thus attired he passed out of his chamber into the Great Hall, where the nobles were waiting for him.

And the nobles made merry, and some of them cried out to him, 'My lord, the people wait for their king, and thou showest them a beggar,' and others were wroth and said, 'He brings shame upon our state, and is unworthy to be our master.' But he answered them not a word, but passed on, and went down the bright porphyry staircase, and out through the gates of bronze, and mounted upon his horse, and rode towards the cathedral, the little page running beside him.

And the people laughed and said, 'It is the King's fool who is riding by,' and they mocked him.

And he drew rein and said, 'Nay, but I am the King.' And he told them his three dreams.

And a man came out of the crowd and spake bitterly to him, and said, 'Sir, knowest thou not that out of the luxury of the rich cometh the life of the poor? By your pomp we are nurtured, and your vices give us bread. To toil for a hard master is bitter, but to have no master to toil for is more bitter still. Thinkest thou that the ravens will feed us? And what cure hast thou for these things? Wilt thou say to the buyer, "Thou shalt buy for so much," and to the seller, "Thou shalt sell at this price?" I trow not. Therefore go back to thy Palace and put on thy purple and fine linen. What hast thou to do with us, and what we suffer?'

Oscar Wilde....The Young King.

3 Likes

Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
He can afford to stay with only two policemen cause they dont have islamic fundamentalist who would send him to the great beyond for not keeping a beard

Actually, once upon a time, Mr Mujica was a terrorist. In the 1970's he was involved with a left wing terror group...and served time for killing a prominent Government official. He was freed.....and became the exemplary public servant he is now.
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 07, 2014
Otuoke people will beg to differ!
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2014
Wow! What a great man. My governor is the poorest governor in Nigeria. He drives a very old Mercedes Benz, and eats corn by the roadside.
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by supernigga(m): 9:48pm On Nov 07, 2014
I pray Nigerians and Nigerian leaders can ve dis kind of mentality because we all ve fked up mantality, I don't know y we will keep voting vultures that only care about their pocket.
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 3:39am On Nov 08, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Actually, once upon a time, Mr Mujica was a terrorist. In the 1970's he was involved with a left wing terror group...and served time for killing a prominent Government official. He was freed.....and became the exemplary public servant he is now.
he was just an ordinary terorist and not a a a religious fanatic sent by a higher being to the the task that the so called higher being can't perform without a human helper
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by taif(f): 6:35am On Nov 08, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
he was just an ordinary terorist and not a a a religious fanatic sent by a higher being to the the task that the so called higher being can't perform without a human helper

u are insane.ordinary for a terrorist dt even kill.u must be one.
Re: World’s 'poorest' President Who Lives On A Farm & Whose Official Car Is A Beetle by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 7:03am On Nov 08, 2014
taif:

u are insane.ordinary for a terrorist dt even kill.u must be one.
i have noticed you,you can now go to the street and celebrate. and pls dont forget to cover your face

(1) (Reply)

I Will Not Pay You Because You Worked For PDP / Wike Mocks Amaechi Over APC VP Slot Snub [video] / Yero To El-rufai: Stop Dreaming Of Governing Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.