Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. (67380 Views)

Bola Tinubu:"Unseating Jonathan,An Incumbent President,My Most Difficult Battle" / Why I Conceded Defeat To Buhari – Jonathan / I’ll Accept Defeat In Good Faith ─ Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 11:36am On Apr 02, 2015
[b]1. ADEN ABDULLAH OSMAN DAAR: SOMALIA
Aden Daar is a Somali politician popularly known as Aden Adde. He was the first Presidentof Somalia, serving from July 1, 1960 to June 10, 1967. Daar was born in 1908 in the town of Beledweyne, situated in the south-central Hiranregion of the former Italian Somaliland. His family hailed from the Hawiyeclan. Daar joined the incipient Somali Youth League (SYL) political party in 1944, a nationalist organization that campaigned for an independent Somalia. Quickly rising through the ranks, he became the local secretary of the SYL's Beledweyne branch in 1946. A decade later, he became Chairman of the National Legislative Assembly, and would eventually lead the SYL itself two years afterwards. By the time Somalia gained its independence in 1960, Daar had attained widespread prominence as a nationalist figure. In short order, he was elected the country's first President, a position he would assume from 1960 to 1967. Fellow SYL member Haji Bashir Ismail Yusufwould serve as the first President of the Somali National Assembly on 1 July 1960. In the 1967 presidential election, Daar was defeated by Abdirashid Ali Shermarke, his former Prime Minister. His term as president ended on June 10, 1967. Daar accepted the loss graciously, making history as the first head of state in Africa to peacefully hand over power to a democratically elected successor.[/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aden_Abdullah_Osman_Daar

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 11:37am On Apr 02, 2015
[b]KENNETH DAVID KAUNDA: ZAMBIA
Kenneth Kaunda served as the first Presidentof Zambia, from 1964 to 1991.
Kaunda is the youngest of eight children born to an ordained Church of Scotland missionary and teacher. He followed his father's steps in becoming a teacher.
He was at the forefront of the struggle for independence from British rule. Dissatisfied with Nkumbula's leadership of the African National Congress, he broke away and founded the Zambian African National Congress, later becoming the head of the United National Independence Party. He was the first President of the independent Zambia. From 1968, all political parties except UNIP were banned. At the same time, Kaunda oversaw the acquisition of majority stakes in key foreign-owned companies. The oil crisis of 1973 and a slump in export revenues put Zambia in a state of economic crisis.
International pressure forced Kaunda to change the rules that had kept him in power. This actually led to a Multi-party elections in 1991, in which Frederick Chiluba, the leader of the Movement for Multiparty Democracy won. Kuanda being the leader of Zambia since independence could have rigged or might have not taken the outcome of the election. Kaunda surprised the world by stepping down for Frederick Chiluba in 1991.[/b] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Kaunda

12 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by orobs93(m): 11:37am On Apr 02, 2015
We're is Ebele jonathan..

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 11:38am On Apr 02, 2015
[b]ABDOULAYE WADE: SENEGAL
Abdoulaye Wade was born in Kébémer, Senegal; officially, he was born in 1926, although some claim he was born several years earlier, and the record-keeping of the time is not considered particularly reliable. He studied and taught law at the lycée Condorcetin France. He holds two doctoratesin law and economics. He was also dean of the law and economics faculty at the University of Dakarin Senegal. In July 2008, the National Assembly approved a constitutional amendment increasing the length of the presidential term to seven years, as it was prior to the adoption of the 2001 constitution. This extension would not apply to Wade's 2007–2012 term, but Minister of Justice Madické Niangstressed on this occasion that Wade could potentially run for re-election in 2012 if he was still healthy. Later, on September 17, 2009, Wade confirmed that he planned to run for a third term in 2012 "if God gives me a long life".
Wade, during a 14 July 2011 speech to supporters, used the Wolof language“‘’Ma waxoon waxeet’’” (“‘’I said it, I (can) take it back’’”) in explaining his decision to go back on his 2007 pledge not to run for another term. The phrase subsequently became a popular rallying cry for the anti-Wade opposition. On January 27, 2012, Abdoulaye Wade was officially approved by the Constitutional Council to run for a highly controversial third and last term. Following this declaration, enraged mobs engaged in violent protests throughout the city. After the first round vote, Abdoulaye Wade acknowledged on 27 February 2012 that he had failed to win a majority in the election and would have to face a run-off. He subsequently lost the second round of voting, held on 25 March 2012, to the opposition candidate Macky Sall; Sall had received the backing of all of the candidates who were defeated in the first round, and he defeated Wade by a wide margin. Wade conceded defeat and Sall succeeded Wade as President on 2 April 2012. [/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdoulaye_Wade

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 11:38am On Apr 02, 2015
[b] 4. RUPIAH BWEZANI BANDA: ZAMBIA
Rupiah Banda is a Zambian politician who was President of Zambia from 2008 to 2011.
During the Presidency of Kenneth Kaunda, Banda held important diplomatic posts and was active in politics as a member of the United National Independence Party(UNIP). Years later, he was appointed as Vice-Presidentby President Levy Mwanawasa in October 2006, following the latter's re-election. He took over Mwanawasa's presidential responsibilities after Mwanawasa suffered a stroke in June 2008, and following Mwanawasa's death in August 2008, he became acting President. As the candidate of the governing Movement for Multiparty Democracy(MMD), he narrowly won the October 2008 presidential election, according to official results. Opposition leader Michael Sata defeated Banda in the September 2011 presidential election, and Sata accordingly succeeded Banda as President on 23 September 2011. In his concession speech, outgoing President Banda noted that, the people of Zambia had spoken through the democratic process and there was the need to obey it.
"The time now is for maturity, for composure and for compassion. To the victors, I say this: you have the right to celebrate but do so with a magnanimous heart. Enjoy the hour but remember that a term of government is for years. He stated
He further admonished the new president to “remember that the next election will judge you also. I have no ill-feelings in my heart; there is no malice in my words. I wish him well in his years as president. I pray his policies will bear fruit."
Reminding the people of the role MMD had played in the country’s growth and development, and emphasized that, “The Zambia we know today was built by an MMD government. We know our place in history and we know that we can come back to lead again in the future. A new leadership will be chosen, and that leadership will be from the younger generation.
"My generation, the generation of the independence struggle-- must now give way to new ideas; ideas for the 21st century. From this defeat, a new, younger MMD will be re-born. [/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupiah_Banda

10 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 11:39am On Apr 02, 2015
[b] 5.GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN: NIGERIA
Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is a Nigerian politician who was President of Nigeria from 2010 to 2015, Jonathan was born in what is now Bayelsa State to a family of canoe makers. Jonathan holds a B.Sc. degree in Zoology in which he attained Second Class Honours. He holds an M.Sc.degree in Hydrobiology and Fisheries biology, and a PhDdegree in Zoology from the University of Port Harcourt, which he did not finish according to Olusegun Obasanjo. Before he entered politics in 1998, he worked as an education inspector, lecturer, and environmental-protection officer.
He is a Christian, and he comes from the Ijawethnic group. In 2007, President Jonathan declared his assets worth a total of ₦ 295,304,420 Naira ($1,845,652 USD). However on 9 October 2014, the r ichestlifestyle.com website ranked Mr Jonathan sixth on its list, claiming his net worth was about $100m (£62m). He threatened to sue the website, claiming it "was an attempt to portray him as corrupt." The page was removed, but was then published by another website which estimated Jonathan's net wealth at $10 million. He contested for Nigerian 2015 presidential election which he eventually lost to former dictator, General Muhammadu Buhari. He conceded defeat in a competitive election and became the first sitting Nigerian president to do so. Prior to his role as President, he served as Governor of Bayelsa Statefrom 2005 to 2007 and as Vice-President of Nigeriafrom 2007 to 2010. [/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodluck_Jonathan

88 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 11:39am On Apr 02, 2015
FP please...kindly update with the remaining four so that we shall know that it is not only Otuokeans that has achieved such loss in the past. grin

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by CyberWolf: 11:40am On Apr 02, 2015
Some people are angry because they thought GEJ will go into oblivion after leaving Aso Rock...Sorry to disappoint you because his fame just started and also watch him win international award that no Nigerian leader had ever won. If you are pained, Go and Die

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by obi4eze(m): 11:45am On Apr 02, 2015
And they keep telling us that GEJ is the first person to do it in Africa. I reserve my praise for him till he hands over. Even at that I don't trust him. We have seen his height of desperation and deceit.
He should just do and hand over because his administration leaves bad memories.

May God bless and protect our President-elect.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by aieromon(m): 11:47am On Apr 02, 2015
Wow at Kenneth Kaunda surprising the whole world by stepping down after 27 years in power.

There is hope for you,Zimbabwe.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Enegod(m): 11:49am On Apr 02, 2015
orobs93:
what is this one saying?

7 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Ymodulus: 11:50am On Apr 02, 2015
Typing ......
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by adaweezy(m): 11:50am On Apr 02, 2015
aieromon:
Wow at Kenneth Kaunda surprising the whole world by stepping down after 27 years in power.

There is hope for you in Zimbabwe.
Mugabe would rather l)DIE!!!!

12 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by bonechamberlain(m): 11:51am On Apr 02, 2015
most of this guys were not Democratic leaders, Kaunda spent 27 years in power, mehn he is not the only one in the country.. u can't compare that to what gej did, after just one term decides to step down. that's statesmanship that no president in nigeria even the coward of ota cannot be given. .. I think obj the self righteous man is a disgrace to leadership in Africa. only in Nigeria that an ex president would overtly undermine a sitting president because of his selfish, primitive and parochial interest. he should learn from the likes of abdulsalam, ibb, shagari, even buhari on the essentials of being a statesman.

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by bobcharly(m): 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2015
That's really commendable if them..
meanwhile
Sani Abacha & wife went to Aso Rock
together............ Only his wife came back
Olusegun Obasanjo & wife went together.......
...only Obasanjo returned
Umaru Musa Ya'adua & wife went
together.......
....Only his wife returned Goodluck Ebele
Jonathan & wife went
together..............Now,,both of them are
coming back together.
GEJ is indeed lucky to break that curse in Aso
Rock! ! !
Change is really here!!!

70 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2015
Power is sweet.
Africans and power though.

Goodluck has suceeded in booking a page in history books.
He will go down in history.A true democrat.

If only great grandpa. Mugabe can follow suit...he'll rather die in office .

Africans turning elected positions to birthright. sad

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by lalasticlala(m): 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2015
crownprince102:
Fp...... Seun, lalasticlala

No source?

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by constance500: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2015
Das good
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2015
Had he insisted on staying tight, we would have Gbagboed him outta Aso Rock!

No sentiment attached!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
GEJ, u have my full respect!
Team #whenYouReachOtuokE

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 12:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

No source?
A compilation I did by myself. You can check their profile on wikipedia or any other source

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
orobs93:
Nigerians...... Una no dey get patience at all.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by tyson99(m): 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2015
GEJ my amiable outgoing incumbent presido grin

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 12:57pm On Apr 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

No source?
are you taking this to front page?

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by luvmijeje(f): 12:58pm On Apr 02, 2015
Imagine that! He's not even the first....... and you people are spamming everywhere while also rewriting history that happen recently as though it's a big deal.

5 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by lalasticlala(m): 1:04pm On Apr 02, 2015
crownprince102:

A compilation I did by myself. You can check their profile on wikipedia or any other source

Oh that's good. Kindly include the link to the wikipedia page in each of the personalities. Thanks. Well done
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Misogynist2014(m): 1:13pm On Apr 02, 2015
Jonathan has done well. At least we have something to remember him for.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by 9jatriot(m): 1:16pm On Apr 02, 2015
What of the Ghanian president, I thought a ruling party also lost there except my memory fails me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Mization(m): 1:29pm On Apr 02, 2015
Seriously we must commend President Goodluck Jonathan for a gracious concession.

His governance may be weak but he is a decent man.

Its a pity his best act as president came in defeat..

4 Likes

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 1:31pm On Apr 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

Oh that's good. Kindly include the link to the wikipedia page in each of the personalities. Thanks. Well done
It's done already
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

front page pls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu's Cousin Killed During Shootout Set To Be Buried. See Her Corpse / The Look On Patience Jonathan's Face As Dino Melaye Greets Obasanjo (Photos) / See White Elephant Projects By Nigerian Politicians Which You Clap About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.