Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? (53642 Views)

A Touching Story Of True Love And Genuine Forgiveness / The Truth About Nigerian Men And Their Foreign Wives / Is There A Reason Why Majority Of Hiv Positive Married Women Have Hiv Negative Husbands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 11, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Really?

What did you get your pay raise for? For your absence?

Lol...........yes really! My pay raise was for the work I did while I was pregnant, my pay raise was effective on the first day of my return.
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by DLioness(f): 11:24pm On Nov 11, 2014
I can nw rest my sistrs are doing a gr8 job ...No way 4 lunatics
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 11, 2014
naijababe:

Lol...........yes really! My pay raise was for the work I did while I was pregnant, my pay raise was effective on the first day of my return.

So you worked when you were pregnant and you got more money for the work you did and not because you were pregnant, right or wrong?

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 11, 2014
carefreewannabe:

So you worked when you were pregnant and you got more money for the work you did and not because you were pregnant, right or wrong?

Yes, but I was still appraised for the period that i was on maternity leave
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 11, 2014
ochon:

I'm at Sambisa forest. sad
let me come and rescue you.
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 12:23am On Nov 12, 2014
SirShymex:

Stop the madness!

If "a patriarchal society is unjust, and males have an unfair privilege" - can we also say Western Civilisation is also unjust because of white privilege?

What is Western Civilization? And how does it to tie to white privilege in America or the west. The latter wasn't even a known concept until the 20th century. Just answer my question first.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by ameheo(m): 1:27am On Nov 12, 2014
Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj shine at
MTV awards in Scotland
www.kulzone.tk/2014/11/ariana-grande-and-nicki-minaj-shine-at.html?m=1
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 1:42am On Nov 12, 2014
Gender equity is the process of being fair to women and men. To ensure fairness, strategies and measures must often be available to compensate for women’s historical and social disadvantages that prevent women and men from otherwise operating on a level playing field.

Equity leads to equality. Gender equality requires equal enjoyment by women and men of socially-valued goods, opportunities, resources and rewards. Where gender inequality exists, it is generally women who are excluded or disadvantaged in relation to decision-making and access to economic and social resources. Therefore a critical aspect of promoting gender equality is the empowerment of women, with a focus on identifying and redressing power imbalances and giving women more autonomy to manage their own lives. Gender equality does not mean that men and women become the same; only that access to opportunities and life changes is neither dependent on, nor constrained by, their sex.
http://www.unfpa.org/gender/resources_faq.htm

"Gender equality" means equality between men and women; the freedom to develop and make choices unhindered by gender stereotypes, roles and prejudices; that the different behaviours, aspirations and needs of women and men are considered, valued and favoured equally. It does not mean that women and men have to become the same, but that their rights, responsibilities and opportunities do not depend on whether they are born male or female.

"Gender equity": According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary (7th ed., 1982) equity means fairness and it is also a recourse to principles of justice to correct or supplement law. It is in this sense that specific measures must be designed to eliminate inequalities between women and men, discrimination and to ensure equal opportunities. Gender equity leads to equality.
http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=3443&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Gender equity can never be divorced from gender equality. It is really pointless to claim to support one but not the other because they are both closely intertwined. Gender equity is like the 'affirmative action' through which true gender equality is achieved. It simply gives women extra benefits to help them achieve equality. Levels the playing field. So thanks to all the "anti gender equality" people who support gender equity. More benefits for disadvantaged women? We'll take it.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 2:42am On Nov 12, 2014
BananaBender:

What is Western Civilization? And how does it to tie to white privilege in America or the west. The latter wasn't even a known concept until the 20th century. Just answer my question first.

Don't feign ignorance with me, and I'm sure you know what Western civilisation a la the system/consciousness in which the world is governed, with its origin in Europe is. What concept is a 20th century concept?

Let me just ignore whatever you're feigning, so as not to trifle a trifle. So, if we live in an age, which gives folks of European descent undue/unfair advantage over the rest (and your ideological leaning is also a concept from the origin) - do you think we also need to break the shackles of western civilisation, just as you're campaigning against patriarchal society, to create balance/equality for all races of people?

Er, and don't feign ignorance with your reply cos we know which race is the dominant race, with undue advantage over all other races. And that's cos we live in an age/civilisation built by folks from that origin. And don't go on a tangent, I'm trying to get at something.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by birdman(m): 2:53am On Nov 12, 2014
SirShymex:

Heck, I'm trying to think of any black woman that has broken new grounds by achieving something ground-breaking in the last 20 years - can you please help me out cos I can't remember any? grin

its your fault if you cant think of any. you need to broaden your horizon some more wink. But I agree with some of your main points though. Embracing an euro-centric view of equality has cost a lot of fine, accomplished black women big time. Being headstrong and self centered appears glamorous on tv and magazines. In real life, its a setup for wasted potential. And unfortunately, in real life, there is no do over sad.

I wonder how it came to be that men equate strong women with disrespectful women. Or that women think that in order to be strong, you must be cantankerous and headstrong. I suspect both black men and women have imbibed more european values than we care to admit.
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 3:04am On Nov 12, 2014
birdman:

its your fault if you cant think of any. you need to broaden your horizon some more wink. But I agree with some of your main points though. Embracing an euro-centric view of equality has cost a lot of fine, accomplished black women big time. Being headstrong and self centered appears glamorous on tv and magazines. In real life, its a setup for wasted potential. And unfortunately, in real life, there is no do over sad.

I wonder how it came to be that men equate strong women with disrespectful women. Or that women think that in order to be strong, you must be cantankerous and headstrong. I suspect both black men and women have imbibed more european values than we care to admit.

Lol, trail-blazing black women these days, in terms of ground breaking achievements, not fake heroes created by the media, are a rare breed, hence it's difficult to even name one off the top. grin

@ bold - I agree it's a two-way street, and folks need to get back to the basics and embrace that family/community values that have always been one of our greatest strengths as a people. Complement each other, and both groups need to play their position, and be supportive of each other. Being rebellious and trying to build castles in the air, with a counter-productive ideology has done more harm than good. And created too many disenfranchised folks, with innocent kids also being victims of this unnecessary covert war of domination, fought under the veil of "equality." grin

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by delishpot: 3:11am On Nov 12, 2014
BABE3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czb4rImsph0

Yes, the world has changed. Every one has started growing wings. cheesy Oba, oya and Osun were strong and respectful to their husband Sango; so were the other women you mentioned. Strong in today's world has a new meaning entirely.

Any normal man will be satisfied with a strong and respectful woman. But what do we have nowadays? Obnoxious ídiots growing wings and using feminism as a mask to cover their crassness. That's why it seems like men want a "yes" woman. Men can't even be men again. You want men to be men? then give them a chance to be men.

"I'm strong and independent. .I am a grown woman I can do whatever". yeye people. cheesy

Using the video i posted as an example; this is what we now considered as strong. grin Don't be surprised if the girl doesn't get charged with assault and the guy does.

Chinekennaaa eee, see how women fold sleeve challenge men to battle! sad sad sad. Omo, nehn, I take style like that slap o grin grin. Eh, when a woman forgets that she is a woman and acts like a thug, a man gat to react for self defence sake. Those girls can wound person jare. He was protecting himself. grin

To be fore warned is to carry catapault better yet, bazooka.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 3:38am On Nov 12, 2014
freshdude2:
Good post, that is, until you attempted to sneak this in. We know strong women when we see strong women. Strong no be for mouth. No be person wey shout pass na im strong pass. I grew up around strong women, in th home, school, church, etc. We also grew up seeing rude, disrespectful, cantankerous women and we can tell the difference. Your post seeks to equate strong to disrespectful, sorry, that aint gon fly. We love strong women, how else would we have strong families. Strong women can be rude and disrespectful but those are not requirements of being a strong woman.

Thank you of this wonderful response.

My Wife is very soft spoken, 22 years younger than me. 4 weeks after she had a C section she sent me off to Nigeria for 3 weeks. Now that's a strong Woman considering also that she's only been in the US for 10 months.

Being disrespectful, arrogant, pompous, spoilt brat, unappreciative, loud does not equate to a strong Woman.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by birdman(m): 4:16am On Nov 12, 2014
SirShymex:

Lol, trail-blazing black women these days, in terms of ground breaking achievements, not fake heroes created by the media, are a rare breed, hence it's difficult to even name one off the top. grin

You could argue the same for men. Truth is bad news or salacious news sells more, hence the kinds of characters you see achieving fame via news media. I cant count the number of real estate investors or accomplished engineers loaded with patents that are black women. Granted Im speaking from a yankee point of view, but you get the point. I can also assure you that many of the females arguing left and right on this thread will have mellowed in the next 5-10 years as they start to understand the wisdom of "less equal women" that went before them.
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by vicchi12(f): 4:16am On Nov 12, 2014
How I hate gender equality, turning men to homosexuals since....

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by birdman(m): 4:17am On Nov 12, 2014
CityNG:

My Wife is very soft spoken, 22 years younger than me

22 ke? how did you pull it off? grin
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 4:24am On Nov 12, 2014
birdman:

22 ke? how did you pull it off? grin

You never see Oba of Ife and his young maidens? grin

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by pashaun(f): 5:43am On Nov 12, 2014
naijababe:

I agree completely, I just wish the ones who can't will readily admit it so we can move on to the ones who have the wherewithal.

Gender equality is the worst thing that has happened to the human race angry angry angry angry

Bullsh*t

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:27am On Nov 12, 2014
ileobatojo:

Gender equity can never be divorced from gender equality. It is really pointless to claim to support one but not the other because they are both closely intertwined. Gender equity is like the 'affirmative action' through which true gender equality is achieved. It simply gives women extra benefits to help them achieve equality. Levels the playing field. So thanks to all the "anti gender equality" people who support gender equity. More benefits for disadvantaged women? We'll take it.

Equity is treating every one equally, even when there is no equality in social status. It is less complicated and more meaningful to practice unlike gender equality which allows people to be voted into positions because of their gender.
Like Robert J. Hanlon said: Equality is not in the natural order of things, the crusade to make everyone equal (except before the law) is certain to have disastrous consequences. Its as if he's a soothsayer. Feminists clammor for abortion rights, they say women have the rights to decide what happens in their body. This is just like the story of a rich man who went to pick innocent members of the public to live with him, when they entered into his house, he locked them up and called them his slaves, unto himself he gave imperial authority over them, the right to decide who lives and who dies. Tell me, is this justice? Only a blind man can follow feminism. The word equality can be twisted to soothe your personal desires.

In a world of equality, domestic violence is allowed.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Wisegeek01(m): 6:29am On Nov 12, 2014
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 12, 2014
BABE3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czb4rImsph0

Yes, the world has changed. Every one has started growing wings. cheesy Oba, oya and Osun were strong and respectful to their husband Sango; so were the other women you mentioned. Strong in today's world has a new meaning entirely.

Any normal man will be satisfied with a strong and respectful woman. But what do we have nowadays? Obnoxious ídiots growing wings and using feminism as a mask to cover their crassness. That's why it seems like men want a "yes" woman. Men can't even be men again. You want men to be men? then give them a chance to be men.

"I'm strong and independent. .I am a grown woman I can do whatever". yeye people. cheesy

Using the video i posted as an example; this is what we now considered as strong. grin Don't be surprised if the girl doesn't get charged with assault and the guy does.

cee DT slap... even d guy wey wan support, receive some wozzing
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Misogynist2014(m): 6:31am On Nov 12, 2014
pashaun:

Bullsh*t
Even a scum like you wants 'gender equality.' Pun intended! cheesy
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by SurePresident: 7:01am On Nov 12, 2014
thorpido:
There's nothing wrong with strong independent women.The examples you gave were strong women.
However,did you look beyond just the public image they exhibited?
These women worked WITH their husbands.They organised their programmes along with their husbands.
The problem with the ladies of nowadays claiming to be strong,independent women is that they come off more as rude and obnoxious and selfish just to prove they can do their own thing.
It's particularly worse with the upcoming generation, an outcome of what Nikky Minaj is teaching them. In selfies, they'll do mouth as if they are sucking blood...
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by kaboninc(m): 7:12am On Nov 12, 2014
back2sender:

Wetin you learn. So you can't google to find out the meaning if dictionary had you to read.
The kind of laziness displayed on NL is alarming.

See who is talking of laziness. Maybe your uncalled criticism makes you forget that we learn everyday. Even the things you know today could be stale tomorrow.
Get a life!

Good morning!
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Nobody: 7:20am On Nov 12, 2014
CityNG:

Thank you of this wonderful response.

My Wife is very soft spoken, 22 years younger than me. 4 weeks after she had a C section she sent me off to Nigeria for 3 weeks. Now that's a strong Woman considering also that she's only been in the US for 10 months.

Being disrespectful, arrogant, pompous, spoilt brat, unappreciative, loud does not equate to a strong Woman.
What these women haven't realised is that they can't be men. Gender equality may have started as a noble pursuit, and I use may discreetly but, it has become a monster ideology where women think they have to become men to be signified as humans and all I can do is shake my head. Look at the Jay Z-Solange incident and recall the unfortunate comments by women, the general gender equal statement is that he must have done something to deserve such treatment. I shudder to think what Jay Z's fate would be if roles had been reversed.

There's so much wrong with the ideology that it threatens our existence as humans.

PS: Never knew you were the Oba of Ife . Kabiyesi o. grin

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Lilimax(f): 7:56am On Nov 12, 2014
freecocoa:
What about it?
A woman marrying more than one husband.
I can't imagine it smiley
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by freecocoa(f): 7:59am On Nov 12, 2014
Lilimax:
A woman marrying more than one husband.
I can't imagine it smiley
If you can imagine a man marrying more than one wife, you should be able to imagine it.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Arsenate(m): 8:04am On Nov 12, 2014
freecocoa:
If you can imagine a man marrying more than one wife, you should be able to imagine it.
if you are honest with yourself you'll know that more than two women can be pregnant for one man at a time while a woman can only be pregnant for one man at a time.
the truth is men and women are different...non is superior to the other; just different.
hey...not like I condone polygamy
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by ochon: 8:04am On Nov 12, 2014
Mondisweets:
let me come and rescue you.

Wear something sexy while coming. wink grin
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by freecocoa(f): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2014
Arsenate:
if you are honest with yourself you'll know that more two women can be pregnant for one man at a time while a woman can only be pregnant for one man at a time.
the truth is men and women are different
hey...not like I condone polygamy
And how does that prove that women can't marry two husbands?

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Arsenate(m): 8:10am On Nov 12, 2014
freecocoa:
And how does that prove that women can't marry two husbands?
I just explained that lack of feasibility of the whole arrangement in my last post.
Re: Where Are The Majority Of True Nigerian Men? by Lilimax(f): 8:11am On Nov 12, 2014
freecocoa:
But I've always hear this saying : Men are polygamous in nature but not women smiley Women folks should not catch up with them in this case.

Don't mind me o, I was just trying to figure out how a married lady can decide to choose that type of life smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Things Men Find Irresistible In A Woman / Nairalander And His Family Travelling To The UK For The First Time. / My Ex. And Her Husband Are Now My In-laws.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.