Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,849 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! (1053 Views)

Who Lies The Most In A Relationship?... MALE/FEMALE / Who Lies Most In A Relationship? (pics) / Let Be Honest Who Lies Most In A Relationship Guys Or Ladies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 1:27pm On Nov 16, 2014
I came across this article while I was surfing the internet and I feel compelled to share the information. It's noteworthy that the article is a bit long but you won't regret reading it

Happy Reading!

That's what my research, and others', suggests. For
example, in one set of studies my colleagues and I
conducted, two groups of people—77 college
students and 70 others—kept diaries every day for a week of all of the lies that they told and all of their
social interactions lasting at least 10 minutes. The
college students lied in one out of about every three
of their social interactions; the other people from the community lied in one of every five. Over the course of the week, only 1% of the college students, and 9% of the people from the community, claimed to have told no lies at all. (Yes, my first thought was, They are lying about not lying.)

Even though my best guess is that everyone lies, it is clear that some people tell lies more readily than
others. In my diary studies , for instance, the lie-
telling "champ" told 46 lies over the course of the
week—close to 7 a day. Who are these people who lie much more frequently than the rest of us? I'll set
aside the clinically diagnosable in this post, and just
consider everyday liars. Do they share certain
personality characteristics? Are there gender
differences? Does age matter? Is the tendency to tell lots of lies linked to the quality of your relationships?

The Personality of a Liar

In the diary studies, all participants filled out a
number of personality measures. We used that
information to see if certain personality types are
especially prone to tell a lot of lies.
When I posed the question, "Who lies?" did a
stereotype pop into your mind? Did you guess that
frequent liars are more likely to be manipulative and scheming people as well? If you did, I'm not going to tell you to abandon your preconceived notions:

People who are more manipulative (as measured by
a Machiavellianism scale and a measure of Social
Adroitness) lie more often than people who are less
manipulative.

Manipulative people tend to care about themselves,
so you might also think that liars are generally
people who do not care about other people. But
that's not totally true. Frequent liars can also be
people who care too much about other people. What
they care about, in particular, is what other people
think of them. This personality type describes people who are always worrying about the impression they're making on others: What will she think if I say that? Will he think I'm a total loser if I do this? This is the impression-management personality type, and these people tell lots of lies, too. Interestingly, though, these people know that they lie more than others do. That's noteworthy, because like the citizens of Lake Wobegon, the participants in our diary studies believed that, on average, they were above average in honesty.

Guess who else lies more? Extroverts. Here's where
it mattered that we kept track of people's social
interactions and not just their lies. If we only counted
lies, then extroverts would have many more
opportunities to lie than introverts, because they
spend more time around other people. So instead, we
looked at rates of lying—the number of lies people
told relative to the number of opportunities they had,
and extroverts lied at a higher rate than introverts,
although the difference was not substantial.

Why do extroverts tell more lies than introverts?

I think it is because the little lies of everyday life can
make social interactions run smoothly. Extroverts are
versed in social niceties, and practice them so often
that they probably do not even realize how often they
are lying. In fact, we found some evidence for that
among the college students. At the end of the week,
when the extroverts saw the total number of lies they
had told, they said that they were surprised at how
often they had lied. (We don't really know for sure,
though, why extraverts lie more, so feel free to share
your insights.)

The results for one other personality trait are totally
obvious: That trait is responsibility, as measured by a
scale of the same name that identifies people who
are responsible, honest, ethical, dependable, and
reliable. Responsible people were less likely to tell
lies than less responsible people—especially the
kinds of lies that are self-serving.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 1:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
Frequent Liars and their Relationships

Participants in the diary studies rated separately the quality of their relationships with people of the same sex as themselves and with people of the other sex.

They indicated, for instance, how warm, satisfying,
and enduring their relationships tend to be; how
much they and their friends understand one another; and the quickness with which they make friends.

People's descriptions of the quality of their
relationships with people of the other sex had
nothing whatsoever to do with how frequently they
lied. It was different for same-sex relationships,
though. People who had higher-quality same-sex
relationships (not just sexual ones) told fewer lies
overall, and especially fewer self-serving lies, than
people with same-sex relationships of lower quality.

Men and Women: How Do They Compare as
Frequent Liars?

In the broadest strokes—averaging across all kinds of lies—men and women are equals in their proclivity to lie. That's what we found in our diary studies. But when we looked more closely at different kinds of lies and different kinds of targets of lies, that's when the sex differences showed up.

Consider two kinds of lies—self-serving lies and kind- hearted lies:

Self-serving lies are the ones people tell to make
themselves look better or to spare themselves from
embarrassment, punishment, or blame, or from
getting their feelings hurt. You know the kind: You
claim to have performed better than you really did or you deny that you did something bad or
embarrassing.

Kind-hearted lies are told with the intent of making
another person look better or feel better, or to spare
them from embarrassment, punishment, or blame, or from getting their feelings hurt.

"You look great!"
"What a terrific dinner!"
"I know just how you feel."

Now consider four different combinations of liars and targets:

1. Men lying to men
2. Men lying to women
3. Women lying to men
4. Women lying to women

In three of these combinations, people tell many
more self-serving lies than kind-hearted lies. In one
of the four, people tell just as many kind-hearted lies as self-serving ones. Which is it? Take a guess, then read on.
Kind-hearted lies are most likely to be exchanged
between women. In contrast, when men were
involved—either as liars or as targets—self-serving
lies prevailed. There were anywhere from twice to
eight times as many self-serving lies than kind-
hearted lies.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by aristocrazzy: 1:35pm On Nov 16, 2014
*still reading* space booked.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 1:35pm On Nov 16, 2014
Among Adults, Is Age Linked to Frequent
Lying?

In our diary studies, we found that the people we
recruited from the community told fewer lies than
our college students did. Does that mean that older
adults tell fewer lies? Not necessarily; our community sample differed in many other ways from our college students. For example, 81% were employed, and 34% had no more than a high school education.

In a separate study, Serota, Levine, and Boster
(2010) asked a national sample of adults how often
they had lied in the previous 24 hours. They found
that as age increased, the number of lies decreased.

However, they did not include a measure of
opportunities to lie.
We cannot yet say this for sure, but it is likely that
over the course of their adult years, people tell fewer lies. Now it is time to follow the same people for years, and get them to keep recording their lies the whole time.

Good luck with that!
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by aristocrazzy: 1:46pm On Nov 16, 2014
Lying is obviously the most frequently committed sin and has no special committers .
Let's face it everyone lies . Only God fit give you the actual measurement.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 2:03pm On Nov 16, 2014
I received a broadcast message on my bbm dis morning; who lied most in a relationship? And I was like what kind of question is this, tbh, I lied to my gf more 10 times within 5 minutes yesterday. I don't often like to debate on that topic because we are all culprit like u av rightly said.

aristocrazzy:
Lying is obviously the most frequently committed sin and has no special committers .
Let's face it everyone lies . Only God fit give you the actual measurement.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
The many faces of lies grin
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by MisterLongman(m): 2:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
[size=32pt]WOMEN LIE MEN LIE[/size]
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:37pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ok
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2014
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by meelorlah(f): 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2014
Nice article... who doesn't lie? Certainly everybody does at some points. Self service lie o, kind - hearted lie o even white lie....All na Lie. But d frequency and ease with which some peeps lie is a way too Much,I don't know how they manage to do it.When they construct and conjure stories ehn...u call Satan himself a learner.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 2:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
It's strange to know that there pple who still take time to read articles like dis, the fact u specifically mentioned Self service and kind hearted lie attest that took time to read and decipher the article. More power to ur elbow!
meelorlah:
Nice article... who doesn't lie? Certainly everybody does at some points. Self service lie o, kind - hearted lie o even white lie....All na Lie. But d frequency and ease with which some peeps lie is a way too Much,I don't know how they manage to do it.When they construct and conjure stories ehn...u call Satan himself a learner.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 17, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]is dat so
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 17, 2014
[/color]is dat so[color=#990000]
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 17, 2014
meelorlah:

Point of correction, i dont lie
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by msmon(m): 2:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
Bro, admit it, you have just lied about not lying. Lolz
iamchiddy:

Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by meelorlah(f): 2:40pm On Nov 17, 2014
msmon:

It's strange to know that there pple who still take time to read articles like dis, the fact u specifically mentioned Self service and kind hearted lie attest that took time to read and decipher the article. More power to ur elbow!
Amen...we learn everyday and paying attention to some things can b of help somewhere no matter how minimal it appears.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by meelorlah(f): 2:44pm On Nov 17, 2014
iamchiddy:

Of course we know u don't lie...just that u manipulate d truth atimes.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2014
meelorlah:
Of course we know u don't lie...just that u manipulate d truth atimes.

So why should you lie? Simply say ''No Comment" when you in a situation that might push you into telling lies.
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 17, 2014
Why i go read all this long things

i tel u say i dey prepare fr jamb ni
Re: MUST READ! - Who Lies? My Best Guess: Everyone! by meelorlah(f): 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2014
msmon:

Bro, admit it, you have just lied about not lying. Lolz
The kind of lie he just lied ehn,I don't know if your diary can find a name for it o.What I find very funny and annoying is when u are lying to someone and d person knows you are lying and u urself know that d person knows u are lying but u still argue u are saying d truth just to cover up

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With Found Cash In Presence Of Your Spouse / When You Set Your Partner Up And He/she Fell For It, What Was Your Reaction? / How To Survive Without A Girlfriend Or Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.