Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure (10975 Views)

Buhari Receives Ministerial Screening Report From Saraki (Photos) / Photo: Why Senator Akpabio Should Not Go Abroad For Medication / Don’t Go Abroad For Medicare Throughout Your Four Years – LP Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sirniyeh(m): 3:11pm On Nov 19, 2014
Nigerians,

Should I call it lack of vision, misplaced priority or mental deficit? I don't understand why Nigerians desperate to travel abroad, and then find themselves in slavery act!

Imagine, the only reason someone will take N5 million to go abroad (for greener pasture) they call obodo oyinbo, is because he is a stark f0000l.

How on earth could you spend even N500,000 ($3,000) to travel to a foreign land in search of greener pasture when most of the people you are going to meet do not have N170,000($1000) in their account.

During my adventure in U.K in last October, i went to meet several of my friends who have boasted that they were studying, or working at a good place. Infact, I wept sighting one of my University lecturers with Ph.D. as gateman! It was shameful...

What i saw within just two weeks was similar to what i have seen in Nigeria. A group of young Nigerians in a room playing cards, drinking, watching Chelsea v Man United at a bear parlour especially in East London where its encroached with Nigerians, its like Lagos Island or a typical local market in Nigeria where you can hear anyone calling mama Risika or baba bomboy.

What they could boast of was that they are not in
Nigeria at least no one sees them suffering and they
could act on the phone as if all is well. While many are stranded as a result of paper, those who have paper are stranded too. They can not afford to come to Nigeria.

Why selling our destiny into slavery?
Nigeria is a free nation littered with billions of Naira on the streets. Can't you see? Why then go abroad?

Please, if you have your relation who are still envisaging going abroad, help him out to invest his money in Nigeria to be master of himself than becoming slave in strange land.

Dr. Saint

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 19, 2014
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by stinggy(m): 3:16pm On Nov 19, 2014
Ph.D as a gateman? Is he cursed

Well, MOD can this be moved to Travel section?

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Elkewwty(f): 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2014
cry
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
Phd => Gateman! How come??

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by pendy79: 4:00pm On Nov 19, 2014
OP either you or the link you copied this story can lie o.

East London like lagos island? Haba, sure say no be Togo your plane pilot land and drop you tell you say na London.

12 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by omololu2020(m): 4:01pm On Nov 19, 2014
Phd as a gateman ke,i can neva bliv dat jawe

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by iamodenigbo1(m): 4:02pm On Nov 19, 2014
Too bad

4 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sirniyeh(m): 5:01pm On Nov 19, 2014
pendy79:
OP either you or the link you copied this story can lie o.

East London like lagos island? Haba, sure say no be Togo your plane pilot land and drop you tell you say na London.

Tell me where you know in south east london and will describe to you how it looks like

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Francis5: 5:32pm On Nov 19, 2014
could act on the phone as if all is well. While many are stranded as a result of paper, those who have paper are stranded too. They can not afford to come to Nigeria.

The reason why some Nigerians abroad cannot afford to go to Nigeria is because the expectation and demands are high from friends, relatives, enemies and other hangers on. Why should one toil each year only to go home and share money to folks back home? Many can afford airfares to travel home but would not do so because folks at home will milk them dry. I know Nigerians in the US who frequently go on vacation to the Caribbean, Brazil and other fun places at least to spend their money on themselves with value for it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by onoja12: 5:38pm On Nov 19, 2014
may God bless you,same way i went there and sew them doing bouncer in club,washing plate and dead body,men them they suffer,i was then wondering watin they happen,i ask this guys why they dont return home,the first thing they tell you is do you know what i did to get the money i use in coming here,then do you know how much disgrace it would be for me to return home without nothing.so when i see people here on nairaland showing themself or boasting they are in one country i just they laugh

Sirniyeh:
Nigerians,

Should I call it lack of vision, misplaced priority or mental deficit? I don't understand why Nigerians desperate to travel abroad, and then find themselves in slavery act!

Imagine, the only reason someone will take N5 million to go abroad (for greener pasture) they call obodo oyinbo, is because he is a stark f0000l.

How on earth could you spend even N500,000 ($3,000) to travel to a foreign land in search of greener pasture when most of the people you are going to meet do not have N170,000($1000) in their account.

During my adventure in U.K in last October, i went to meet several of my friends who have boasted that they were studying, or working at a good place. Infact, I wept sighting one of my University lecturers with Ph.D. as gateman! It was shameful...

What i saw within just two weeks was similar to what i have seen in Nigeria. A group of young Nigerians in a room playing cards, drinking, watching Chelsea v Man United at a bear parlour especially in East London where its encroached with Nigerians, its like Lagos Island or a typical local market in Nigeria where you can hear anyone calling mama Risika or baba bomboy.

Nigeria is a free nation littered with billions of Naira on the streets. Can't you see? Why then go abroad?

Please, if you have your relation who are still envisaging going abroad, help him out to invest his money in Nigeria to be master of himself than becoming slave in strange land.

Dr. Saint

3 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by texaco1: 5:47pm On Nov 19, 2014
@op, nigerians will never listen nor believe you. And if care isn't taken ,they will take you as their enemy when you give them this advice. I have always said it to people that nigeria is the easiest place in the world to make money once you have a skill or good product to sell. But alas ,many will prefer to spend as much as a million or more naira in traveling to these countries . I have also told people several times on this forum that the money many people are spending just to travel is the same amount of money those in these countries are working and striving to make just to go back to nigeria. But like our elders use to say ,experience is always the best teacher .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by dridowu: 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2014
As some people are making peanut in aboard likewise some people are making it big. What does not favour Mr A may favour Mr B. So migration is part of human history . So anyone that want to migrate should do so legally.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by tpia6: 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2014
We all know its the dream of every nigerian to travel to other countries.

2 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by pendy79: 6:36pm On Nov 19, 2014
Sirniyeh:

Tell me where you know in south east london and will describe to you how it looks like

Comparing the Street or borough of london with anywhere in 9ja is the height of exagerration not to talk of lagos island. Is it idoluwo, idumagbo, idumota, adeniji, tokunbo, oshodi, tinubu that you wanna compare with dagenham, stratford, hackney, waltham, hovering or leyton etc.

Most people run out of 9ja with anything they can lay their hands on not prepare for the reality of things on ground in the uk. No genuine papers or wrong visa types which make them ineligible to get real or profitable employment.

In as much as I won't advise anyone with good employment back in 9ja to leave and relocate, the reality is that there is a better quality of life in the uk compare to the hellhole of 9ja with the kind of useless and worthless government in that country

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by chronique(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2014
Foolishness and stupidity is the major problem with such people. Several times,people have advised me to travel to the US and go live there cos they feel my body system doesn't suit the Nigerian society. While I admit that I have such challenges,I also do not subscribe to the idea of relocating;I wasn't born in the US or UK. I've always maintained that,the only reason why I will travel out,is to go for holiday or a business trip. Yes,I know we can't compare the facilities and infrastructures we have overseas,with what we have in Nigeria;but at the end of the day,my freedom matters a lot to me. Moreover,my money will be made here. Lots of graduates and educated folks living overseas are engaging in menial jobs. I as a person,can't do such jobs. The thought of going to work as a gateman or washing plates/dead bodies,is enough to put me off. I'm a proud Nigerian.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sirniyeh(m): 6:42pm On Nov 19, 2014
dridowu:
As some people are making peanut in aboard likewise some people are making it big. What does not favour Mr A may favour Mr B. So migration is part of human history . So anyone that want to migrate should do so legally.

Dr I'd, let's hit the nail on head. The truth must be told that what you seek abroad is rightly within your reach in Nigeria. Lack of entrepreneurial skill is the problem of our people. There is no way you attempt to travel that you will spend less than N500K. Is that money not enough to begin life. Instead to acquire skill they pursue shadow. Here in Nigeria it is easy to multiply money.

For instance, if I had emulated my colleagues to pursue green pasture abroad, I could have buried my destiny in mud of poverty. What I've achieved in Nigeria within short period that my colleagues left me for abroad, none of them can meet up with the pace....

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by tpia6: 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2014
chronique:
Foolishness and stupidity is the major problem with such people. Several times,people have advised me to travel to the US and go live there cos they feel my body system doesn't suit the Nigerian society. While I admit that I have such challenges,I also do not subscribe to the idea of relocating;I wasn't born in the US or UK. I've always maintained that,the only reason why I will travel out,is to go for holiday or a business trip. .

at some point, almost everybody in nigeria goes overseas in one way or another.

relatively few people dont.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sirniyeh(m): 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
pendy79:

Comparing the Street or borough of london with anywhere in 9ja is the height of exagerration not to talk of lagos island. Is it idoluwo, idumagbo, idumota, adeniji, tokunbo, oshodi, tinubu that you wanna compare with dagenham, stratford, hackney, waltham, hovering or leyton etc.

Most people run out of 9ja with anything they can lay their hands on not prepare for the reality of things on ground in the uk. No genuine papers or wrong visa types which make them ineligible to get real or profitable employment.

In as much as I won't advise anyone with good employment back in 9ja to leave and relocate, the reality is that there is a better quality of life in the uk compare to the hellhole of 9ja with the kind of useless and worthless government in that country

My brother, don't misquote me pls. I never envisaged that there is no better quality of life in UK. The fact remains that, most our people there live in there like slaves. What they can't do in Nigeria is what they engaged in there. Imagine, a ph.d holder who ridiculed his career to become gateman. If I should describe him, mention his name, the university he was teaching before he left for UK, the whole world will know him.
Is it a must to go abroad?
I only went there for adventure last october, and the place I met or saw my colleagues is nothing different from where I reside here.
Let's reorientate our youths, let's encourage them to believe in their nation.

6 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by chronique(m): 7:18pm On Nov 19, 2014
My point is: if you are going there to study or for business or on a holiday trip,fine. But if you sell off properties here just to go look for greener pastures which do not exist,I'd call it stupidity.
tpia6:

at some point, almost everybody in nigeria goes overseas in one way or another.

relatively few people dont.

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by tpia6: 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2014
hindsight is always 100%.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nkemtreasure: 8:29pm On Nov 19, 2014
As far as I'm concerned, a lizard in Nigeria can never be an alligator in UK.

2 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Horus(m): 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3SVByMNerE

[size=15pt]Moving Back To Nigeria? Here's What to Do - Sisi Yemmi[/size]

Sisi Yemmie, Nigerian video blogger, talks about her work as an emerging media persoanlity in Nigeria and
provides advice on what to do if you are moving to Nigeria or returning home to the country.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Wallie(m): 8:31pm On Nov 19, 2014
Sirniyeh:

...The truth must be told that what you seek abroad is rightly within your reach in Nigeria. Lack of entrepreneurial skill is the problem of our people....

You are painting with very broad strokes! I personally know the following types of people currently in the US:

1. Someone that worked at Arthur Andersen in Nigeria before traveling to the US to get her MBA - currently making well over $100k. UNILAG schooled. Came here on scholarship after acing the GMAT. UNILAG schooled.

2. Someone that did his IT (or whatever you call the service after NYSC) at Mobil before traveling to the US to get his MS in engineering - currently making close to $200k as a contractor. UNILAG schooled.

3. Another guy that studied chemical engineering at UNILAG - over $200k
4. A Nigerian guy that owns his own govt contracting business - over $50M made in 7 years

5. A handful of Nigerians that had their first degrees in Nigeria but came here to start college afresh - 1 makes $70k+ out of college and the others are still looking for jobs.

The only thing all these people have in common is their work ethic, schooling and green card/citizenship.

My point is, some will succeed and others will fail. Some never had what it takes to make it in Nigeria or the US. Some have what it takes to make it but lack the papers needed to get a shot; however, if you have what it takes to succeed in the US and can also work legally, there’s a high probability that your lifestyle will be well above average. The same is not true in Nigeria.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Chylo(m): 8:52pm On Nov 19, 2014
O boi, make them no decieve you oo. Money dey jand nyafuu nyafuu.

Just try get job, even say na cleaner, then work multiple jobs. You will be making more than most people wey knot tie for Nigeria.

What about if you now get a good job nko? O boi, u don hammer o.
Then add to that, the good infrastructure, free healthcare, no bomb when you go market.

Guy, forget all this story joor.

(quick calculation for you: UK minimum wage = £6.50 per hour (i.e approx N1,770 per hour), lets say you work only 6 hours everyday, by the end of the month, you would have made above N300,000), now minimum wage is for the least kind of worker. SO do the maths yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by AZeD1(m): 9:10pm On Nov 19, 2014
Chylo:
O boi, make them no decieve you oo. Money dey jand nyafuu nyafuu.

Just try get job, even say na cleaner, then work multiple jobs. You will be making more than most people wey knot tie for Nigeria.

What about if you now get a good job nko? O boi, u don hammer o.
Then add to that, the good infrastructure, free healthcare, no bomb when you go market.

Guy, forget all this story joor.

(quick calculation for you: UK minimum wage = £6.50 per hour (i.e approx N1,770 per hour), lets say you work only 6 hours everyday, by the end of the month, you would have made above N300,000), now minimum wage is for the least kind of worker. SO do the maths yourself.
Dude you can't survive on minimum wage in the UK.

Op any educated person doing menial job in the UK entered the UK illegally.

6 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by tpia6: 9:12pm On Nov 19, 2014
For minimum wage anywhere, you need about two jobs to break even.

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2014
Francis5:

The reason why some Nigerians abroad cannot afford to go to Nigeria is because the expectation and demands are high from friends, relatives, enemies and other hangers on. Why should one toil each year only to go home and share money to folks back home? Many can afford airfares to travel home but would not do so because folks at home will milk them dry. I know Nigerians in the US who frequently go on vacation to the Caribbean, Brazil and other fun places at least to spend their money on themselves with value for it.
abi ooo. when I was living in the UK, I visit Nigeria every year. KLM and Air France sometimes sell return tickets for £400.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Chylo(m): 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Dude you can't survive on minimum wage in the UK.

Op any educated person doing menial job in the UK entered the UK illegally.

Are you telling me what I know or what I dont know? The biggest expenditure is accommodation, and once you get a group of people to squat together, the rest na pure savings o. Some of those African cleaners you see mopping are millionaires in NAira o, in case you dont know.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by AZeD1(m): 9:57pm On Nov 19, 2014
Chylo:

Are you telling me what I know or what I dont know? The biggest expenditure is accommodation, and once you get a group of people to squat together, the rest na pure savings o. Some of those African cleaners you see mopping are millionaires in NAira o, in case you dont know.
Dude I lived in the UK and I know what I'm talking about. You are making the mistake of converting to Naira forgetting that those people don't pay bills in Naira.

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Chylo(m): 10:11pm On Nov 19, 2014
AZeD1:

Dude I lived in the UK and I know what I'm talking about. You are making the mistake of converting to Naira forgetting that those people don't pay bills in Naira.

Well, I'm livin in Uk now, so I should know better. Yes they don't pay bills in naira, but they are reasonably comfortable as opposed to living in the slums in Nigeria. Some of them can even afford luxuries, like certain high-end electronics and holidays. What I'm saying is, even people on welfare lead an ok life, not to talk of workers. Yes they may not be rich, but they are far better off than hustling in Naija. I see them using Iphones na, how cleaner for naija wan use Iphone? You mah reason am. Even me sef, I nor fit commot moni buy iphone, not cos i cant afford it, but cos of priorities; so for them to buy it they r comfortable to an extent. Another point, I knw one cleaner personally, dat goes to the same church as me and we go shopping on Sunday together, I know how he fills his basket. SO there is NO comparison at all with NIgeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by atlwireles: 10:24pm On Nov 19, 2014
Sirniyeh:
Nigerians,

Dr. Saint

Please repeat this story over and over again. I don't understand the youths of today anymore. Many of them are suffering aboard is actually an understatement.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Farmers/Herdsmen Clashes: Sanni Bello Meets European Union (Photos) / N22.7trn Ways And Means: Crisis Brews In Reps Over $15m Executive Largesse / FG, Come Clean On Nigeria’s Bankruptcy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.